Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

I'm sewing my squares together, but like SuzyQT, and Karin4, I'm a little perturbed that once I'm done, the FO will be too small for me...

I'm also wondering how the squares will actually look once assembled and on my body. They look so cute by themselves; I'd hate to think that the combined effect would make me look like a crazy lady. Then again, I'm pretty sure some folks already have that opinion of me, so perhaps it'll be all good. :lol

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you laid it out against a sweater that fits you? That's what I do to check for size as I go.

Must go make more squares - but first I must sidetrack again - I sidetracked last night to make a felted clutch for a dinner I'm going to - now I must do swatches for Josi Medera's Crochetr Academy class tonight. SO much to hook, so little time...wah!

I crocheted two squares with the same "yarn" I used for my Victoria Secret Along skirt (WPI of 22). The color didn't come out right, it isn't brownish in real life.

The first square was crocheted with a 2.5 mm hook (USA size C), the second one with a 5mm hook (USA size H... which was WAY quicker)

vintage_squares.JPG

The smaller square doesn't reach 4 inches (it's 6cm wide : almost 2.5 inches) ... it's even far from this. It's also quite thick and sturdy.

The bigger one is holy but has a nice floppy drape, it reaches 8 cm (slightly more than 3 inches), which I think is Ok even if the pattern calls for 10cm wide squares, I'll just play with the L size pattern.

I like the way the fabric of the bigger square behaves, and I want to use this yarn as I'd like to have someting to match my skirt... My problem is : how to join-as-you-go. :think

The bigger one is holy but has a nice floppy drape, it reaches 8 cm (slightly more than 3 inches), which I think is Ok even if the pattern calls for 10cm wide squares, I'll just play with the L size pattern.

Another option is just to add one more round to the square. Mine are 8 rounds.

Btw, at each corner make sure you put 3 stitches in the center stitch of the 3 corner stitches from the previous row. Otherwise the corner holes (which make the diamond pattern once assembled) won't be straight. I can tell you that more than once I have discovered this error on the 2nd round of my square (after I finish it!!) Your square looks like it will have nice drape!

I like the way the fabric of the bigger square behaves, and I want to use this yarn as I'd like to have someting to match my skirt... My problem is : how to join-as-you-go. :think

I don't see a way to do join as you go for this square, since you'll most likely want to maintain the ridge pattern and whipstitch the backloops of the squares.

I'll do as you said Flyinghooks, and add rows to the squares, it's the easiest way.

thanks for the heads up on the corners, I noticed i had to pay attention to those, maybe use a stitch marker :think

I tried come up with a join-as-you-go method and here's what I did :

At the end of square 1 I didn't cut the yarn, crocheted 12,

crocheted 1 and started square 2 on that chain stitch,

for every round, crocheted the last stitch of the third corner carrying the satrting chain of 12 on the wrong side,

crocheted the last row of square 2 inserting crochet hook in the back loop of the last row of square 1.

This created a ridge between the 2 squares. What do you think? I don't know if I like it.

Besides, For square 3 I didn't crochet the yarn left between the squares : it creates a bump on the wrong side when you carry it along, I closed the last stitch of square 2, left a tail without cutting the yarn and started square 3. No bumps.

Picture (color is more accurate here) :

right side:

Cardigan_vintage_20070303_2.jpg

Those are not real back loop single crochet as I insert the crochet into the back loop and the body of the stitch (into the chore of the part of the body that looks like a V).

It's Sturdier but looks less floppy.

I don't know why my squares are curvy (they inherited it from me ? ) I swear I make sure the corner is done properly!

I'll try a few more squares and if I don't like it... Well my daughter will have a new purse.

What do you think?

more pictures here

wow, lilybean, you are fast! Can't wait to see it!

I miss my project...I'm drowning in homework and haven't crocheted in over a week! So sad.... :(

I'm still about half-way there, though so no worries!

I have been sewing my squares together into strips. I am making a 48" chest size. I thought I could do 6 across for the back and 3/3 for the front but just realized that if I do that, there will be no neck opening. The smaller size has 5 across for the back and 2/2 for the front. So, it looks like I will need to do a 7th strip for the back! Has anyone else made a larger size and run into this problem? thanks!

I have been sewing my squares together into strips. I am making a 48" chest size. I thought I could do 6 across for the back and 3/3 for the front but just realized that if I do that, there will be no neck opening. The smaller size has 5 across for the back and 2/2 for the front. So, it looks like I will need to do a 7th strip for the back! Has anyone else made a larger size and run into this problem? thanks!

Kate - if you look at the instructions for the smallest size - they had 4 strips in the back and 2/2 for the front. They gathered the front panels "eased to fit" so that they sewed 2 front squares onto 1.5 sqaures on the back leaving a total of a square open in the back. You would do similarly - ease 3 front squares to the outher 2.5 squares of each side of the back panel leaving a square (2 halves) open in the back of the neck.

Hope this helps!

Kate - if you look at the instructions for the smallest size - they had 4 strips in the back and 2/2 for the front. They gathered the front panels "eased to fit" so that they sewed 2 front squares onto 1.5 sqaures on the back leaving a total of a square open in the back. You would do similarly - ease 3 front squares to the outher 2.5 squares of each side of the back panel leaving a square (2 halves) open in the back of the neck.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for noticing that, Ginny! I've had the head-cold-from-H*ll so I wasn't firing on all cylinders! :-) I have tried to sew the front to the back today. I aligned the two outer squares square-to-square but eased the 3rd neckline square to 1/2 of the matching square on the back. I'm not sure I like it though. It ruffles a bit. I'm hoping it will block out. Kate

I've been sewing strips of squares together. I must say that its tedious. I think i may need a few more squares, but I'm not sure. It depends on how many squares I need for the sleeves. I want long sleeves, and I'm not quite sure how that will work out.

I've been sewing strips of squares together. I must say that its tedious. I think i may need a few more squares, but I'm not sure. It depends on how many squares I need for the sleeves. I want long sleeves, and I'm not quite sure how that will work out.
You should PM Artemis and ask her : she did longer sleeves. :)

Thought to share a small update. Did 40 squares so far. It's harder to find more time to crochet with the spring come so early this year. Last few days had been so warm for me to crochet with this kind of yarn. (Carson SS shadows). Hopefully I can finish up the rest by end of this week or next week.

How's everybody else ? Did anyone complete this CAL? I would love to see some pics of completed cardigans if possible.

I might come back for more advice when I finish all the squares. See ya all soon! Keep up the great work.

Thanks for noticing that, Ginny! I've had the head-cold-from-H*ll so I wasn't firing on all cylinders! :-) I have tried to sew the front to the back today. I aligned the two outer squares square-to-square but eased the 3rd neckline square to 1/2 of the matching square on the back. I'm not sure I like it though. It ruffles a bit. I'm hoping it will block out. Kate

If not, you might want to try to ease it the whole way across - would be less ruffle-y. But the lines of the squares wouldn't line up at the top (then again who looks there, but the birds!!) Good Luck!

I've been sewing strips of squares together. I must say that its tedious.

I have to agree, this is my problem with squares!!

I think i may need a few more squares, but I'm not sure. It depends on how many squares I need for the sleeves. I want long sleeves, and I'm not quite sure how that will work out.

As Pyogazel said, Artemis did longer sleeves. She added another set of 4 squares before "easing" to the 2 square cuff. She had a total of 14 squares on her sleeves. (Remember the sleeves are not set-in, so you will get some "sleeve length" from the body of the sweater.)

Thought to share a small update. Did 40 squares so far. It's harder to find more time to crochet with the spring come so early this year. Last few days had been so warm for me to crochet with this kind of yarn. (Carson SS shadows). Hopefully I can finish up the rest by end of this week or next week..

Great job. Keep going!!

How's everybody else ? Did anyone complete this CAL? I would love to see some pics of completed cardigans if possible.

I was wondering the same thing lately. I'm been busy off line, and with some other projects. But I usually get a square or two done each day. Obviously I need to increase my square/day number if I want to get this done before summer!!

Come on gang, let's show some pictures!! Even pictures of a pile of squares!! Who's still working on this?

Thanks for the suggestion Flyinghooks. I tried it and felt a little better after doing so. :)

Have you laid it out against a sweater that fits you? That's what I do to check for size as I go.

H'mmm, when I joined the front and the back panels I totally didn't realize that this is what they meant by "easing to fit."

A lot is explained; chiefly that really small neck opening that I ended up with... I'll be ripping some things out when I work on this project tonight again... :hook

Hope this helps!

I just found this site. Thought I would share it since it might work well for a different variation on the cuff of this sweater -

http://bythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/205.html

I haven't tried it but it looks like it would coordinate with the pattern! :)

Yes a sideways ribbing (sc, blo) - either done on the pattern like Dot describes or done separatedly and then eased to the pattern makes a great cuff. I use it all the time on socks and on sweaters. Great idea Kate!!

Come on gang, let's show some pictures!! Even pictures of a pile of squares!! Who's still working on this?

Hmmm....I don't know how to post pictures - never done it! :think Is there an easy tutorial somewhere on how to load pictures?

I was very frustrated with sewing my fronts and back. Because I have just returned to crocheting, my gauge changed during the course of the sweater. When I pieced one of the fronts, the squares were much larger than the second front. I tried to block this out but the bigger squares just ruffled while the other side was taunt and pretty. So...I have been unstitching and rewinding all afternoon. I do still love this pattern! Hope it fits!

Here's a picture of the cardigan in progress:

cardi.JPG

It's missing the collar, the ends of the sleeves (I'm making them longer), and the gussets (I put them in and didn't like them; I took them out and wasn't quite happy; I'm making them smaller and hope that works :yarn ).

The pic's home is here, and is marked with today's date: 08.03.07.

Here's a picture of the cardigan in progress:

cardi.JPG

It's missing the collar, the ends of the sleeves (I'm making them longer), and the gussets (I put them in and didn't like them; I took them out and wasn't quite happy; I'm making them smaller and hope that works :yarn ).

The pic's home is here, and is marked with today's date: 08.03.07.

Whaoo! I love the motif this square created! where did you find its pattern ?

Archived