Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

Woo Hoo!! We're starting the CAL today!!

:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer

Inspired by Artemis, who was inspired by Roli......

this CAL was born from a thread in show and tell here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=41178

and the pattern that we will be using is here:

http://www.yarnsplus.com/crochet/cardigan.htm

so gather your yarn :yarn , swatch a square and GO!!:hook

Darski has agreed to help host this CAL with me. So join us.

We plan on finding ways to make this sweater from XS to 3X!

Yes :yes you can do this, we can help:hug !!

Now go hook a square!!:yay

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking about actually joining in on this one! I've never done a wearable item like this, but it looks do-able if I can find the time :) Thanks for hosting, I'll be at least lurking on this thread for sure! :D

I'm very tempted to join. I see that the one crocheter used wool ease. Since wool drives me crazy, does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could substitute?? Preferably a yarn available at Joann's, Michael's, or Walmart. Thanks.

Any worsted weight would do. Roli used Caron Simply Soft for one, and ww tweed/wool yarn for her other. Artemis used Wool-ease. I'm using ww wool (Knit Picks). No reason you can't use RH or Caron Pounders or the like.

Morning I'm going to try this. Are we going to be using any weight yarn

No reason you can't use any weight, since we're making squares. Once you decide what size your squares will be and how many you will make you will just be crocheting to size. I think the square pattern as written with BLO sc will work best with a ww or lighter yarn, and not a bulky yarn, but that's just me!

and will there be lots of help in making the adjustments in sizing?

Yes we'll help!

First suggestion is to measure your hip circumference. Divide by 2 - this should give you the width of the back (approx). I also like to use a favorite sweater as a guide for the measurements.

The pattern (but not the final sweater) is boxy. As written for a Medium the back is made of 25 squares arranged 5x5. This makes a piece 20 x 20. You can either increase the number of squares or the size of the squares to fit your size. (My fav sweater has a width of 21 inches, so I think I'll make my squares 4.25"... If you wanted to keep the 20" length, but want 24" width you could add 5 more squares arranged 6x5.... does this make sense?)

The other measurement we need to think about is the armhole/sleeve width. Here the sleeves are 4 squares around, or 2 squares wide (when folded flat). That's 8 inches for the armhole and the upper sleeve. Actually, the gusset will open up the arm pit area a bit, so the medium calls for 16 in circumference for the upper arm. (My fav sweater has an armhole of 10", but tapers to 8" wide/ 16 in circ at the upper arm - so again my squares of 4.25" should work fine)

Sleeve length, cuffs and edgings we'll conquer later...

Don't be afraid to try this ... we can do it!:cheer

Okay, GOD willing, and the creek don't rise, I can finish up my two projects I am on by the end of the weekend, well by monday, and I will begin this, I have been EAGERLY anticipating a cardi CAL that is manageble, and not so difficult to understand. I will be reading with great enthusism, I will want to make mine in a 3X, I am really a 2X, but I like my sweaters to be loose. So gotta get the fingers moving here, this weather in Iowa has been hard on my arthritis this week, and making it very difficult to crochet. I am finishing up a ghan for hubby and a tapestry bag of my doggy. And I soooooooooooo have to get both of these finsished. Keep your fingers crossed!! Well I truely believe I can do it, if nothing else I have a four day weekend comming up, sat-tues off, so by the LATEST, I will begin this CAL next wed..:yay

:welcome maryann64 from a fellow Canuck :hug there are times I am tempted to move back to TO.

Well folks, I have to admit that I got started a little early. The sewing group met last night and I had to take a crochet project to work on- trust me on this one.

I have been working with my modified square that does come out at about 5 inches and 5 squares across seems large to me. Since my square is join as you go, I have to make some choices. My squares go so fast that I am amazed at how quickly this could go if I did nothing but this one. :wlol

I am here and will help as I can but Ginny seems to have it all well in hand :tup:hook

:welcome maryann64 from a fellow Canuck :hug there are times I am tempted to move back to TO.

Well folks, I have to admit that I got started a little early. The sewing group met last night and I had to take a crochet project to work on- trust me on this one.

I have been working with my modified square that does come out at about 5 inches and 5 squares across seems large to me. Since my square is join as you go, I have to make some choices. My squares go so fast that I am amazed at how quickly this could go if I did nothing but this one. :wlol

I am here and will help as I can but Ginny seems to have it all well in hand :tup:hook

Glad to have you "here" Darski!

My dh's socks are at the heel (as in must pay attention crocheting), and his sweater is to big to carry around, so I'll have to take this with me now to the library with my kiddo! :hook

Hello, all. I'm joining in. I'm using Bernat's Super Value True Grey for mine. I'm a big gal, so I'm doing my squares at 5" and planning on adding a square to the width, because making the squares any bigger looked...well, too big for a garment motif. I've only made a few so far, we'll see how it goes, and if I need to make them bigger...:think

This is going to be so much fun!!! I'm so glad we are starting! I've had to almost sit on my hands to keep myself from working on my squares until now!!! :hook

ok I have to do it, I havent made myself anything in a while. It is always or everyone else, especially my dd and the one I am carrying so my turn, even though I may not be able to wear it for a while lol 7.5 month pregnant can put a damper on things fitting properly. But I am in, this will be a great stash buster.

I am going to hang around and watch this CAL...I would love to make this one for myself, but have too much on my plate right now. I am anxious to see how some of the plus sizes come out. I am a 3x as well, so this would be great if it turns out for us bigger sized women. Lovely pattern and finished projects!

Hello Everyone!

I'd like to join in too! I plan on using Simply Soft Tweed in Dark Sage if I can find it. I've looked a couple of places and can't find that color. I'll check a couple of more. I could order it, but I don't want to wait for it to come in. I'll pick something else if I need to. I'll work on a few squares as soon as I get the yarn. Thanks for the CAL. I'm excited about working on this together!

Hi! I'm Kate from Massachusetts. I started this one last week! Couldn't wait! :-) Anyhow, I'm making a finished bust of 48" which is a back of 6 squares by 6 squares. Also, I am adding a row to the sleeves. I am using stash yarn in KnitPicks Wool of the Andes but by my calculations I will only have enough yarn to finish the squares but not the edging. I think I will have to buy black to edge it with. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas of just how much yarn this sweater will really take? I have 18 skeins and will have to order more. Thanks!

I'd like to join in too, I've been looking for yarn, but haven't found the right color yet. I am thinking of using Caron simply soft or another inexpensive worsted weight yarn, because they are easy to work with.

Welcome!! Glad to have you on board:hook ... can't wait to see th color you pick!

I'd like to join in too, I've been looking for yarn, but haven't found the right color yet. I am thinking of using Caron simply soft or another inexpensive worsted weight yarn, because they are easy to work with.

Hi Gardener,

I am using Caron Simply Soft in country blue, I "sneaked" a square tonight at work, I found it worked up very nice, and EASY, right up my alley...:lol

If I can get the square right on the FIRST try, ANYONE can do it, believe me when I type this :manyheart

Thanks Ginny and Darski for hosting this CAL. I think everyone will be pleased with this easy pattern and the end result. Kate, I see you've joined also. Welcome! I'm anxious to see how some of the larger sizes will work out since this is a pattern that can be easily sized for any figure. I'll keep checking back to see the progress everyone is making and to read about some of the other great ideas you all will come up with. Darski has already modified the square and her version is very pretty. :)

Archived