Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

Hope everyone is well!

Can someone please explain to me how do I ease the fronts to the back when I sew them together? I am making 6x6 back and 3x3 fronts. Do I leave more that 4 inches open since I am making a larger size?

Also, does anyone have a rough idea of how much yarn it takes to do the border and cuffs? I plan to sc the cuffs rather than do more squares. I don't think I have enough for the borders and will have to order more. Thanks!

I have already ordered more yarn for another of these sweaters! This first one is blue - next one is red! Kate/Massachusetts:manyheart

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just needed a quick explanation...

I couldn't quite make out what this might mean in French :when the pattern says

Sew back section and front sections together at shoulders having 4 inches free at back of neck, easing fullness of 1 motif at each side of neck for small size and having 1 motif free for medium size. does easing fullness mean "stretch to desired width"?

Got my answer for this one too

Kate - as written the sweater only has 3/4 sleeves. Remember the sleeves are not inset so the shoulder seam will be an inch or so down your arm. As written there are 8 squares to the sleeve and 2 squares to the cuff. So 2 rows of 4 squares encircle your arm - then comes the cuff (again only a 3/4 sleeve). The cuff is only 2 squares encircling your arm and yes, it will take a fair amount of "easing" or "gathering" to sew 4 squares to 2 squares.

A friend from another group created a paper pattern to understand the layout. Here's a clickable picture of what she created. Remember the arms are folded flat here. She also did not include the cuff.

388011946_210a0c209f_m.jpg

Artemis added another row (4 more squares per sleeve) and then did the cuff as written. Roli left them as 3/4 sleeves, but didn't like the way the motifs gathered for the cuffs so she basically did several inches of sc ( I think) instead.

I plan to add 4 squares per sleeve to lengthen the sleeves and then... I'll figure out the cuffs when I get there!

also, they say Sew gusset in position to the 4 free edges of motifs at underarm.

I looked gusset and found "a second layer of cloth which is sewn into a piece of clothing to make it larger, stronger or more comfortable", does it mean I need to crochet 2 squares to act as gusset for each sleeve?

Got my answer for this one : Pattern for vintage motif cardigan

Thanks in advance!

I agree wholeheartedly! Now, variegated yarn would be a different story...

I considered variegated, may be the yarn I'm using on the Victoria Secret skirt (red + pink)...

I think I'll do the edge in a contrasting color, either non variegated red or pink

:welcome maryann64 from a fellow Canuck :hug there are times I am tempted to move back to TO.

Well folks, I have to admit that I got started a little early. The sewing group met last night and I had to take a crochet project to work on- trust me on this one.

I have been working with my modified square that does come out at about 5 inches and 5 squares across seems large to me. Since my square is join as you go, I have to make some choices. My squares go so fast that I am amazed at how quickly this could go if I did nothing but this one. :wlol

I am here and will help as I can but Ginny seems to have it all well in hand :tup:hook

Does your join-as-you-go method go smoothly? I'm familiar with this method when joining sqares that have a lacy pattern, for a solid pattern like this one I'm a little bit worried...

Does your join-as-you-go method go smoothly? I'm familiar with this method when joining sqares that have a lacy pattern, for a solid pattern like this one I'm a little bit worried...

I am not doing the original square. I am using a different square. if you check the post in the Discussion thread in "Other crochet topics" I posted a picture of it.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41754

Hey, all. I have close to 40 squares done now. I would have more, since they are a sinch to make (especially while watching TV), but I started a class, and so have less time to crochet. :(

I was planning on doing 6x6 rows for the back -- my squares are 5", which makes this project seem huge, even though I know it isn't really. I'm a little confused about assembly and the underarm area, as well.

Happy crocheting!!

Well I've done up one square in using one strand of my 4ply and it looks terrible! Not nice and smooth and neat like the other squares on this thread.

So I tried doing up a square using some 8ply (worsted) but it white (I don't want a white cardigan) and it looked fantastic! Just like the squares here. I'm going to try doing up a square using two strands of the 4ply - maybe that's why it looked all floppy and mishapen because the pattern really needs the 8ply?

Then again - I could have just mucked up the pattern! I liked the one strand as it doesn't feel as heavy as the 8ply (of course!) and it was floppy but I think that would look nice when it was all done up.

Off to do more experimenting!

5 squares to go then I am done, well almost. I sewed the back and front together,and the sleeves but I am gonna add another row of 4 to each sleeve then figure it out I guess, see if its long enough. I am also probably gonna add buttons to mine

I don't have all my squares done yet, but I finally started sewing some of them together. I still am a little concerned about how it will look all together. It looks like a bunch of squares sewn together. However, I'll keep at it!

Lilybean, looking forward to seeing yours.

Hi there. I managed to do 4 complete squares and 5th still on the hook today. So it make 16 complete squares. I hope on Sunday, I will have more time to do squares. Tomorrow is my deaf crochet circle. (Dinner, TV, and crochetting for my deaf friends and myself). We do it once per month, usually at my place. I might end up chatting and being a hostess at my place instead of crochetting. LOL. We will see how it goes.

So far I've made the squares and have sewn them together for the back, both fronts, and one arm. I'm having a hard time enjoying this CAL because I am so worried that this sweater won't fit. Its hard to relax when that one thought keeps running through the back of my mind. I haven't sewn the cuff on the one arm because I don't think it will be wide enough to fit around my arm. I might add a third square to it. Hope everyone else is doing fine with theirs.

I have 22 squares done and sewn together as I'm sewing them together as I go. I don't really care for the "right side" so sewing them together as I go is working just fine. The arms are done and almost 1 front half. I layed the pieces up against a sweater I have that fits and I felt a lot better. It was just about the same size! Big Whewwww. I was worried about that. This is my first attempt at an article of clothing other than a hat, so I will be relieved to get it done. I'm moving pretty slow though :-) Can't wait to see some photos from others who finish before me.

8 more squares to go and I can start putting the cardigan together:cheer Been busy trying to find a job. Well can't wait to start seeing pictures! Have some running to do today, but plan on at least getting my squares done and start putting them together.

Archived