Vintage Crochet Cardigan CAL

flyinghooks

Hi! I'm Kate from Massachusetts.

Welcome from another Mass hooker! Where are you?

I started this one last week! Couldn't wait! :-) Anyhow, I'm making a finished bust of 48" which is a back of 6 squares by 6 squares.

So you're increasing the length from 20 to 24 inches as well?

Also, I am adding a row to the sleeves. I am using stash yarn in KnitPicks Wool of the Andes but by my calculations I will only have enough yarn to finish the squares but not the edging. I think I will have to buy black to edge it with. I'm curious if anyone has any ideas of just how much yarn this sweater will really take? I have 18 skeins and will have to order more. Thanks!

Here's my best yardage guesses and where they come from..

1. Artemis made a medium with 8 extra squares (long sleeves). She believes she used 6.5 skeins of Wool-Ease (197yd) so that's about 1300yd. Ignoring edging, thats ~17.5 yds/square.

2. The original pattern says Knitting Worsted 23oz for medium. Most acrylic worsted weight (RH, Caron Simply soft and the like) average around 55yd per ounce. 55 yds x 23= 1265yd. also ~18yd/square.

So there's an approximate guess...

If I counted right :think you're planning on making 102 squares... If my 18 yd/square is right, you might just make it! 18 skeins = 1980yds. :hook

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello there! I experiement with some yarns last night. I have no time to take pics of squares and upload them before this weekend's out of town trip. I will do it when I return on tuesday. I might end up doing two cardigans as squares go fast! LOL It's a great project to carry around anywhere, one square at a time.

I've looked at Roli's and Artemis's sweaters several times and admired them more each time I visit. I've decided that I want to give this one a try. I made my first square this morning with Caron SS in a tapestry print I got on clearance a couple of years ago. The yarn has had a tough time deciding what it wanted to be when it grew up, but I think it's finally decided it wants to be this cardi. I wanted my square to be 4.25" like Ginny's, and it worked out exactly on my first try. If that doesn't say destiny, I don't know what does. This will be my first CAL at Crochetville.

I have yet to start this, I have the color I plan on using in mind and even have most of a caron pounder for it, trying to keep up w/ stash busting as well but I just havent done anything on it, oh wait I printed the pattern and decided on the color, and thats the hard part isnt it. :yes I am also working on a dress for my dd I need to multi task here, my WIM list seems to keep going and going, but then again whose doesnt?:blush

Welcome all!! Great to have you with us. I made a few squares last night.

377610725_4fbf020c77_t.jpg

(clickable)

Here are four laid out together. I'm not looking forward to the assembly process. I don't have a lot of experience making squares come together nicely.

Do you guys think we need to block before assembly?:think

Ooh this looks really pretty. I'd like to join in on this too! I've never made a sweater, but my prize for meeting my stashbusting goal is going to be a hoodie. So, I think that doing this would be a good start, and help me use some stash! Is anyone planning on making theirs multicolored? I don't have a lot of the same color, so mine might look pretty weird. >_>;;

How do you do those "quote" responses? I haven't figured it out yet!

Flyinghooks, I am in Natick, home of the infamous Mall and infuriating traffic! :-)

Thank you for your yarn estimates in response to my question. I went back and recounted my skeins...bah! 16 skeins not 18. I'm sure I will have to order more from KnitPicks. I think I will order a few skeins of the original color (not the same dyelot) and a bunch of black skeins. If the dyelot is markedly different, I will use the black instead of the stream colorway. It must be Murphy's Law of Knitting/Crochet...my stash is always a few skeins short. I'm sure there is a metaphor in that! :-)

Thanks for the welcome, Roli! I am so glad I found your website! Have I told you how much I love this sweater!!! Thanks for sharing it! Kate/Massachusetts

I ended up buying some Red Heart yarn in a sage green color. I tend to gravitate to red, blue and black and I wanted something different for a change. We're supposed to have blizzard like conditions this weekend, so I'm going to try a few squares. Its not like I'll be going out and doing anything else!

Flyinghooks, I really like the color you chose. I almost got a similar color but decided against it since I have a lot of TLC's amore in that color, and no clue what to do with it. Now that I've seen your squares, I'm sorry I talked myself out of it.

How do you do those "quote" responses? I haven't figured it out yet!

At the bottom of a post you wish to quote, click the "quote button" and the whole message will appear with the bracketed "quote" code around it.

Then you can edit as you wish, and add your response out side the bracketed code.

Flyinghooks, I am in Natick, home of the infamous Mall and infuriating traffic! :-)

I have old family roots in Natick! My Mom's family owned the Brennan Shoe Factory in Natick at the turn of the century (1880-1920s) and the Brennans lived on Lincoln St. I gre up in Belmont, and now Live 45 NW of Boston in Pepperell (on the NH border)

Thank you for your yarn estimates in response to my question. I went back and recounted my skeins...bah! 16 skeins not 18. I'm sure I will have to order more from KnitPicks. I think I will order a few skeins of the original color (not the same dyelot) and a bunch of black skeins. If the dyelot is markedly different, I will use the black instead of the stream colorway. It must be Murphy's Law of Knitting/Crochet...my stash is always a few skeins short. I'm sure there is a metaphor in that! :-)

That's what I just did with another sweater of nearly the sane color - edged it in black, so I can't go that route again. Hopefully I'll make it with 14.5 skeins!

Do you guys think we need to block before assembly?:think

I'm not sure, I've never made a sweater before...but my squares are coming out feeling supple, but firm enough to keep shape nicely. :think :think

Anyone with more experience have an opinion?

Hi Darski thanks for the hello, Im looking forward to doing this project. I have gone thru my slash and come up with Coats, Lustre-Sheen in a pretty shade of yellow. Finer than Worsted weight but so soft. I will be using a size 4 hook and doing 10 repeats instead of 7 this gives me a 4" square.

Looking forward to getting to know all my fellow crocheters on this site.

Have a happy weekend.

Hugs Mary Ann, Toronto, Ontario

Flyinghooks... [i have old family roots in Natick! My Mom's family owned the Brennan Shoe Factory in Natick at the turn of the century (1880-1920s) and the Brennans lived on Lincoln St. I gre up in Belmont, and now Live 45 NW of Boston in Pepperell (on the NH border)]

Which Lincoln Street? Do you know where the shoe factory was? I live on one of the Lincoln Streets in town right next to what once was a factory, and my house was where the factory owner lived. This is getting kinda' strange!:eek

As to blocking...I didn't block the squares at all and didn't block my first sweater but the one I made in the tweed wool needed blocking after the squares were joined. Debbie Stoller swears by steam blocking and I agree with her. It makes a garment look professional and really helps to even out those joins. Just be careful not to touch the iron to the fabric.

I think I'm going to lurk on this CAL for a while. I started a sweater a few weeks go for my stepdaughter using Woolease but I don't like the pattern I'm using. Any one have any thoughts on doing one in 2 different colors?

The idea of two different colors came to my mind this morning. I think that this project could look really good in several different ways. I had thought of making the squares in one color and doing the edging in another. I also thought about making the yoke area and maybe the sleeve cuffs a contrasting color. I did wonder if this particular idea would make the squares too noticeable and the cardigan look even boxier than it is.

Ultimately I decided to make mine all one color, because I think it will match more stuff in my wardrobe that way. I have already left my comfort zone by buying green yarn for this project, so I thought I'd forget any fancy ideas.

I started my squares last night and so far I have 12 done. Mine are coming out at 4.75 inches which should work for me if my calculations are right. I need to make between a large and an extra large and I would rather have it a little big, than a little tight. These squares work up really fast, but they are kind of tedious.

Morning Ginny thanks for the info on sizing. I completed 3 blocks - neat easy pattern. Have to go out today but Saturday nite will be crocheting and hopefully watching or listening to something good on the boob tube.

Hugs Mary Ann Toronto Canada

It's just my opinion but I don't think that motif sweaters really lend themselves to two colours. wayyyyy too 70's to be healthy. :eek

I have considered the idea of using a different colour just for the edging and even that doesn't seem like something I would do.

Just one woman's opinion of course.

Ginny, I love your colour! :yes

It's just my opinion but I don't think that motif sweaters really lend themselves to two colours. wayyyyy too 70's to be healthy. :eek

I have considered the idea of using a different colour just for the edging and even that doesn't seem like something I would do.

Just one woman's opinion of course.

I agree wholeheartedly! Now, variegated yarn would be a different story...

I was wondering the same thing. I have 24 squares done so far and my plan is to whipstitch some together soon. I want to see some progress other than a big piles of squares.

I have noticed a problem with my measurements now though. My squares are 4.75 inches which should make the body of the sweater fit perfectly, using 5 squares across. However, I wonder if 4 squares around for the sleeves will be way too big? The sweater that I measured from has sleeves that are just a bit under 16 inches at the top, and they are roomy. I guess I'll just have to try it out. The pattern picture looks like the tops of the sleeves are pretty wide, so maybe it will be okay.

As to blocking...I didn't block the squares at all and didn't block my first sweater but the one I made in the tweed wool needed blocking after the squares were joined. Debbie Stoller swears by steam blocking and I agree with her. It makes a garment look professional and really helps to even out those joins. Just be careful not to touch the iron to the fabric.

Thanks, Roli. This project is going to teach me quite a lot, I can already tell. I'll have to try that with the steam blocking, I've never done that before...do you know where I could find a tutorial? :hook

I will probably finish all my back squares today. I'd like to start sewing them together. I know they are whipstitched together but I wondering if there is anything I need to know before I start sewing? Thanks, Kate/Massachusetts

I think just that we should use the back loop when whip stitching to keep the pattern on the front.

Kate - I actually have the orignial deed from when my Great grandfather transfered the ownership of the Natick house to his children - I'll have to dig it up

Archived