Best Hooks??? Cases???

V-Hooked

Do you guys know which are the best hooks that could last you forever or at least more than some cheap ones?? and do you guys also know where I could find cool hook cases??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm currently using an aluminum hook from Boye that my mother used in the 70's, so I think they last a pretty long time. I prefer the Boye hooks to the Susan Bates hooks, and I prefer aluminum over crystalite/plastic any day.

Walmart has good prices on multi-packs of hooks, and they have a nice vinyl case with enough room for a full set of steel and aluminum hooks, both.

I have to agree with Tiga on this one. I also have boye hooks that were given to me by my grandmother. I purchased a set of Susan Bates hooks for my daughter and I personally don't like them. As soon as I can afford to, I will be purchasing my daughter some Boye hooks. I also don't care for the crystal or plastic hooks either. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

I also love Boye aluminum hooks, probably because those are what I grew up using.

I have one wooden hook, which I also really like. However, I find that the wood slows me down quite a bit as the yarn doesn't slide as easily as it does on the aluminum. When I want to get something done quickly, I use the aluminum hook. When I want to slow down and enjoy the process of crocheting, I use the wooden hook.

Here is my favorite crochet hook case pattern. I've made this thing many times now as gifts for friends and family members. It's very easy to make. (I leave off the flower on the front.)

I personally like this hook case.http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/alhookcase.htm

I have made several as gifts and like the option to put a zipper on it so I don't lose the hooks.

I like Susan Bates hooks because they are shorter..but use Boye as I have more of them. I also own a couple great JIMBO hooks which feel like heaven to me as they warm to my touch.

I've got a variety of hooks & use different ones depending on the yarn I'm using & the types of stitches in the project. I've got aluminum Boyes, plastic Susan Bates, and bamboo Clovers. The best buy is probably the Boyes. As far as cases go, I've re-purposed a binder-sized make-up case! It's got 3 "pages" made up of zippered, mesh pockets in the middle. The "pages" snap in & out of the binder so I can take just a section of it along if I'm crocheting on the road. The best part is the side where make-up brushes are supposed to go... the sleeves for the brushes hold 1-3 hooks each (depending on the size of the hooks) and a plastic flap folds over them so they don't slip out. The entire binder zips shut so that everything is kept safe! You might want to look around the house to see if there's a 3-ring binder or make up case that you can re-purpose. :)

I use all kinds of hooks and still have hooks that I got when I started crocheting almost 38 years ago... I do like the short hooks better as I have short hands. As for the hook keeper,, my husband bought me one at wal-mart years and years ago it is vinyl and zips shut. I love it, I keep several hooks sizes ,,fold up scissors,, markers to mark your rows,, and a miniture highlighter and miniture pen. I do not put my wood hooks in it, won't fit.

did not think I would really use it but my husband prove me wrong I use it in my yarn bag. It always stay in my yarn bag so I won't lose it.

:2c:waving Don't know about best, but I like inline hooks: Susan Bates. I have vintage as well as new, Silvalumes and Quicksilvers, and I use them all, depending on the size of the thread or yarn, its texture and consistency, the stitch patterns, the way my hands feel at that moment, and who knows what all....

I think having good tools and choices of tools is important for good work.

There's my two cents.

My mom bought me a set of hooks a few years ago, but I have no idea if they're Bates or Boyes. They don't say so I'm not sure how I would know? They came in their own case which I love.

The hooks up to 5.5mm are aluminum, and I love how the yarn slides on them. My 6.0mm - 9mm are plastic, and it definatly takes me longer to crochet with those. But I also have a 10mm Crystalite hook, and while its not as good as the aluminum hooks, its better than the plastic.

I think I may add a set of bamboo hooks to my Christmas Wish List. Those are something that I would never buy myself, but would be a nice treat I think!

My hooks are all Susan Bates for yarn and Boye for thread. I want to make one of those hook thingy's that someone on the forum designed (was it Donna) looks like a pin cushion. Haven't gotten around to making one yet.

Addi Turbo are my favorite crochet hooks http://www.lonestaryarns.com/addi.html and I got some of them from here http://stores.ebay.com/tropicalknitter_Crochet-Hooks-Addi_W0QQfsubZ12QQtZkm. My DD11 and I both have complete sets and we LOVE :manyheart them.

And these Profi are the best for thread crochet http://www.lonestaryarns.com/profi.html.

I realize they are a little more expense but definitely worth it!

I use Clover Soft Touch Crochet hooks. I have them all the way through thread sizes. They have an aluminum (or steel?) hook and then a nice soft plastic handle. I also have a few wood hooks that I like to use, this kind being my favorite.

You can get cases all over. There are great fabric ones on Etsy or Ebay (just search crochet hook case). Also if you want to go expensive there is THIS case. Or THIS one. In fact Dreamweaver Yarns has a lot of different kinds of hooks and cases to compare.

I LOVE that case that you showed that looks like a little bag, but when unzipped is a 3 ring binder with hook pages for hook storage! Is there some way to duplicate that without having to spend $59?? I'd love some ideas on that!!

I just love both hook case patterns that have been posted! I've printed off both, now need to decide whick one to make. As tomorrow is my birthday think I'll do something I never do and make a case for myself, I'm always making things for others, don't have one thing I've made. I like Boye hooks, have their case but used it so much the insides are shot! Just bought my first Crystalite hook yesterday, Wal-Mart was out of a J in Boye, I like it, surprised me. Charlene

i just bought a set of clover hooks and i love them . i hold my hook in my fist not like a fork so my hands get very tired from a small hook shaft. these clover hooks are just perfect and they glide thru the stitches. a bit pricey though so i found a deal for several on ebay and bought the rest one at a time. but boy i think they are worth every penny.

I prefer Susan Bates Inline....although i started with Boye. And I've had lots of cases in my life a hooker, but my favorite it the one i have now. I bought it on ebay, but she has an online store

http://www.boogybags.com/index.html

These cases are fashionable and functional!! I just LOVE mine!!! Many pretty colors and fabrics (and they change all the time). The price isn't bad either.

I think you need try a few different ones to see what works best for you-everyone has their own preferences.

For the hook Susan Bates are my favorite but I love the handles on wood hooks and the Clover Soft touch.

Wood hooks are my overall favorite but for affordable long lasting hooks I'd go w/ Bates or Boye-just depends which hook style you prefer.

Archived