Best Hooks??? Cases???

V-Hooked

I purchased a sewing pattern to make my own roll-up hook carriers. The pattern was really simple and I could use whatever colors of fabric that I wanted! There was also a pattern for knitting needles~Both were very easy to do!

As far as hooks~I love the Clovers~ I have 2 Greydogs that are for thread and they are wonderful! Then I have 2 wood hooks by Grafton Fibers and they are by far my most favorites!!!

mgf~:yay

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure of the brand of my hooks, but I do prefer wooden and aluminium. I went through 7 crochet hooks while making one afghan when I used a plastic one. The plastic just rubbed away leaving grooves in the hook! I rarely buy new hooks, but I saw those Turn-Of-The-Century boxed sets. Does anyone know if the seller would post overseas? Not sure how they'd go coming through custom's though.

I have a Namaste needle binder. This is where I bought it from.

http://www.thewoolshack.com.au/accessories.htm?action=detail&ID=148

It cost me a fortune, but I don't regret it one bit. I use it for my knitting needles as well.

I prefer Bates hooks-

but I also love my Turn of the Century wood hooks which are Boye- www.turn-of-the-century.com

joanne R.aka jpr54_

I'm with you. :hug I love my Turn of the Century hooks. I like to go fast but I'm not into going "faster". I have all of the sizes from "F" to "S". Haven't used all of the yet but I'm on my way.

Otherwise I like the Boye hooks.

As for the cases, I started to use a flannel roll-up thingee which was used to store the real silver eating utensils. It works like a charm. I see there are patterns for things similar to this. I'll have to make another one I guess. :lol

Blessings, bk

you know, I just bought a set for myself for my birthday, they're the Hamanaka Rakuraku Double-ended Crochet Hook Set from arkitektonika on etsy. I love them! They're japanese and I'm still trying to figure out which hook size corresponds with the US counterpart, but they're super comfy, as they have a plastic/rubber grip thingy in the middle of each hook. I do have the bates thread size needles, and the boye yarn size needles, and some clover ones too. I tend to get a bit obsessive when I pick up a new hobby.

i have a whole set of boye hooks... and i hate them the round head just gets stuck in my yarn. i got them cause they came in a cheap multi-pack

i do love susan bates hooks. i inherited my mom's old susan bates aluminum hooks that she got in the 1970s and they look brand new! i also love the susan bates crystallite plastic hooks. they're cheap and work well. the lack of friction can be annoying, but it's just perfect for wool yarn.

i really want the susan bates comfort hooks... but not sure about the grip.

• 2 weeks later...

I like having every thing in order, in one place (I'm a librarian, can you blame me?). Being the packrat that I am having one case for everything reduces the likelyhood of loss. However, I have yet to find a crochet case that will accomodate a full set of steels, yarn hooks (B-K, plus US7), and rug hooks (size L and larger) of various makes PLUS random duplicates and odd sizes.

Right now I keep my Needlemaster, all my hooks, stitch markers, guages, and snips in a metal lunchbox. I have a different box for my double point needles and a knitting roll for my motley collection of thrift store straights.

The fabric hook rolls are good for holding some of my loose needles, but they are never robust enough to hold everything. Stuff falls out, stuff doesn't fit in the little spaces, there are never enough pockets, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

I think hooks are just a matter of prefrence but i like to use both I found a really nice hook case at Joanns for only 3.50 but it was on like a close out sale and they are really nice.... they had alot of diffrent colors or if you wanted you could make your own hook case.... I know that walmart also has some cheap cases that are smaller that dont hold as much as the nice ones you could get from the craft store or from making your own at home with a little fabric a sewing machine and some imagination :hook

I'm thinking I need to make myself a case. I got three wood hooks for Christmas (the monk? I think that's the ebay person my husband got them from), and they are fabulous, so I want to keep them safe.

I have the Boye plastic zip-up case, but it's completely over full, and it doesn't accomodate rug hooks and that.

I use these hooks for my thread work: http://cgi.ebay.com/10-PCS-TULIP-CROCHET-HOOK-SET-SUPER_W0QQitemZ250067258731QQihZ015QQcategoryZ28140QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tulip Japanese crochet hooks (very popular in Asia, higher end hooks) also make aluminum hooks that just glides through the yarn and helps me make my garments ultra fast.

I've lost a couple of hooks (waah) and it kills me that my hooks are not complete. I'll probably get some more when I go back home.

SB & Boye, not so much, it is too heavy and bulky for my hands.

I would like to try Clover Soft Touch, but that may be a while :lol

you know, I just bought a set for myself for my birthday, they're the Hamanaka Rakuraku Double-ended Crochet Hook Set from arkitektonika on etsy. I love them!

I've been wanting to try their hooks, but I'm not quite ready to shell out $50 yet. :lol

Gotta love the Japanese for their craft stuff, it is awesome!

I really like using the Boyes that my Grandmother gave me when I was a small child. They are still goin strong. I have a Susan Bates set,,,,and the hook end busted in half on one during a doily. Too bad Susan Bates doesn't have their guarantees like Tupperware! LOL!

I'm a Boye girl :lol myself!

Since I lost all of my hooks, patterns, knitting needles etc in my move to a new home :(:angry I splerged and bought the Hook Master or whatever it's called by Boye. I've used Boye since I began crocheting over 40 years ago.

(Slowly replacing knitting needles as I need them. I crochet far more than knit.)

For my birthday, my husband actually took the hint that was stuck to the fridge - and to the car keys - and to most of the doors in the house - and he bought me the Clover set!! I love them, they just "feel" so much nicer to hold than the others I've tried. They are quite a bit shorter than other hooks, but I like that as my hands are small.

Definitely a luxury - and much appreciated.

I personally use aluminum hooks. As for the case I made this pattern for my hooks about two years ago and added a zipper so I can keep my seam ripper and my siscors handy inside it. I only used one ream of worsted weight yearn on this patern if I remember right. I also used varigated yarn and it made a beautiful case. I added a zipper usinf a zigzag stitch with my machine. http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/alhookcase.htm

For your thread (Steel) hooks there is another pattern case. It is a little wider. http://members.aol.com/lffunt/sthookcase.htm

Here is one for cro-hooks and tunisian hooks

http://members.aol.com/lffunt/longhookcase.html

I feel these are the best cases for hooks. The look beautiful. Hope this helps!

Penny

AKA: Buzybee

I personally like this hook case.http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/alhookcase.htm

I have made several as gifts and like the option to put a zipper on it so I don't lose the hooks.

that is a COOL case!! i need me one of those!

thanks for posting that! :)

as for hooks - i have always used my boye aluminum set! had it for over 10 years and love it still -- and yes, walmart does sell a nice set of them for under $12 (i think that's what it costs, i haven't been there in a while - i am currently in the UK)

:hook

I have mostly Boye crochet hooks and knitting needles.

Just recently though I made my own N size (9mm) 18" afghan hook using a 5/16" dowel rod with a white rubber washer as my stop on the back end. I did this because I couldn not find one, either in the store or online. It works beautifully as I polished the wood with an emory cloth. No snags and it's almost as slick as using an aluminum Boye hook!

• 2 weeks later...

As for hooks I use aluminum/steel Plastic for the really large ones P, Q. I have no Idea what brand I use. Is there a difference? for cases I use travel toothbrush cases, one for steel with the openings sealed up with clay, one for the others and one for the great big ones. very inexpensive about 50 cents each.

Chrissy

I use Boyle hooks also it was the kind my grandma taught me with. I got a plastic hook for my 5 year old so she could learn and to me it doesn't feel as sturdy as the metal hooks.

As for cases my hubby got me a long narrow cosmetic organizer (looks like like a clutch purse) and it is perfect for my hooks, pens, sissors, ect. I used a zip closed holder that I bought at walmart and i use bigger hooks and ended up breaking all the plastic sheeths you slide the hooks into.

I love my Aero aluminum hooks and my Red Heart aluminum hooks. I am iffy on my Boye aluminum hooks, I rarely use them.

I, too, love the Aero hooks. They remind me of the old Hero hooks that are truly my favorites I order the Aeros from Canada.

The older Boye aluminum have the thumb rest in a slightly different location from the newer Boye hooks. I like the placement of the thumbrest in the older hooks.

I ahve hook cases in my etsy shop ( link in sig)... if you sew, your more then welcome to copy the idea...its easy and very compact ..you should be able to tell how to make it from the pics...:hook

Ok, I saw your cases and bought 2. I have a case for most of my hooks, but they never have room for the larger hooks, of which I have a ton. Yours were so totally reasonably priced, I couldn't resist. Plus it saves me from having to dig out my sewing machine, dig through my fabric, curse endlessly at my poor sewing skills, etc.

-Nikki

Archived