Best Hooks??? Cases???

V-Hooked

I'm all over the place with hooks. I like the ones with the flat areas best, so Boye tends to be the default, then I slip these Comfort Grip thingies over them. Those are my absolute favorite things in the world for crocheting. If you've never tried them, pick up a package at JoAnns or Michaels (they were cheaper at Michaels).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who don't like the crystalite or plastic hooks, what do you do when you need a large hook that doesn't come in aluminum? I guess it would really only mean a "P", "Q", or "S" hook. I only ask because I am making an afghan for my husband that uses 4 strands together of Red Heart Super Saver (one strand each of 4 colors mixed together - it was actually his challenge to me to see if I could actually do it and lets just say, he's losing the challenge.) I'm using my big plastic "Q" hook and I love it. I haven't seen the bigger ones in anything but plastic. I do have a question about switching to aluminum after using plastic. If you start a project in a plastic hook, will it cause a problem to switch to an aluminum hook of the same size in the middle of the project? I know sometimes the different style hooks aren't always the exact same size.

Thanks.

Kim

I LOVE my Susan Bates Quicksilvers!!! They have a glass-like finish and they're super quick. I've had mine for about 13 years and just love them. I keep them in a fabric hook-keeper that rolls and ties with a ribbon. My DH bought it years ago. My 16 yo crocheting daughter has both Boye hooks and gorgeous full set of Inox with those colorful grip handles but she prefers the inline (Bates) because of the "pointier" head.

I personally like this hook case.http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/alhookcase.htm

I have made several as gifts and like the option to put a zipper on it so I don't lose the hooks.

Bonnie, do you have any idea how much yarn the case uses? The pattern doesn't say. . . (I'm wondering if the worsted weight a wonderful Fairy Godmother send me as a RAOK will be enough to make one :) )

And do you have any hints for putting in the zipper? I like zipped cases but my sewing skills (ahem) are really non-existent. :2blush

Smiles,

I prefer the smooth glass-like finish of the Bates quicksilvers. I did not like bates til I tried the quicksilvers. I am using a bank deposit bag as a temporary case right now, and my hooks I keep in the plastic sleeves I bought them in.

I prefer Boye hooks over plastic any day. I haven't tried any of the newer hooks. One day I would like to try wood.

I have the Boye case also, but some of the slots are torn, so I'm thinking about makeing the pattern(s) by Priscilla Hewitt.

i love my Boye hooks. I splurged and bought a wooden hook once. it broke in half the first time i used it. so i'm sticking with the aluminum. i keep my hooks and notions in one of those roll-up travel jewelry cases, somebody gave me for christmas a couple of years ago.:hook I have so. many. hooks!

I use aluminum hooks...that is what I learned off of and I tried the plastic ones when I was doing it on my own at first because I didn't know how much I would keep at it and didn't want to waste money. BUT I kept breaking them. I guess I demand too much out of them. I have seen people use wooden ones but I don't think that would be a good idea for me either. So I go with aluminum. As far as cases are concerned I made one, it looks like a small skein of yarn that has a zipper in it. That always fits in my bag and I even get compliments on it!!

I prefer the smooth glass-like finish of the Bates quicksilvers. I did not like bates til I tried the quicksilvers. I am using a bank deposit bag as a temporary case right now, and my hooks I keep in the plastic sleeves I bought them in.

I usually like aluminum, but I do like Quicksilvers for yarn that splits. I find that they really help to cut down on splitting. I'm not sure how it works, but it does.

As for where I keep all my hooks, I generally keep them all in my main WIP bag, minus the ones that are being used for other WIPs. Not an exact system, for sure...

I have a roll-up case that I made for all my hooks, and little "jackets" for individual hooks that I'm putting into a project bag. I have a lot of aluminum and steel hooks that I've always used, and a few wood hooks that I've gotten recently and really love. They're the reason I made the little jackets. :) I don't want them to get scratched and scarred up.

I would love to see a pic of Leoism's case that looks like a little skein of yarn, that sounds really cute.

Wow... it's really interesting to hear everyone's different opinions of hooks. I learned on Boye aluminum hooks and used them exclusively for years. I have some Bates but couldn't get the hang of the in-line hook thing. Then, I bought some wooden Brittany hooks and had the same problem as the Bates because they are in-line. Then, got some Turn of the Century hooks and fell in love. They are my faves. When they get "slow", I just use a little Pledge on them and they get slick again. They are warm in the hand which keeps me from getting cramps. They are beautiful to look at. I just adore them.

Wow... it's really interesting to hear everyone's different opinions of hooks. I learned on Boye aluminum hooks and used them exclusively for years. I have some Bates but couldn't get the hang of the in-line hook thing. Then, I bought some wooden Brittany hooks and had the same problem as the Bates because they are in-line. Then, got some Turn of the Century hooks and fell in love. They are my faves. When they get "slow", I just use a little Pledge on them and they get slick again. They are warm in the hand which keeps me from getting cramps. They are beautiful to look at. I just adore them.

I have a Turn of the Century P hook, which I adore. I couldn't find anything else locally except for plastic P hooks, and then someone on the forum suggested Turn of the Century. It's the one hook I keep in its case tucked safely away, and not just tossed in my main WIP bag :lol .

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions: firstly, what are "inline hooks"? I've never heard of them! (I'm in Australia).

Secondly, I, too, am considering the purchase of a complete set of hooks, and I can't decide between the Clovers and the Boye set. I like the clovers because they just feel so perfect to hold, and I like the fact that they are a bit shorter, I think it gives me more control; but since I mostly use American patterns, perhaps it would be better to buy the Boye set with US sizes?

Lots of patterns seem to specify a size 7 hook for #10 thread, and there is no exact equivalent of this size in locally available hooks.

Are the Boyes really well-made hooks? The Clovers are almost twice as expensive, and since "you get what you pay for" I am a bit worried that the Boyes may compromise on quality.

I would be interested in other people's opinions of the two sets of hooks.

Thanks!

Two questions: firstly, what are "inline hooks"? I've never heard of them! (I'm in Australia).

Secondly, I, too, am considering the purchase of a complete set of hooks, and I can't decide between the Clovers and the Boye set. I like the clovers because they just feel so perfect to hold, and I like the fact that they are a bit shorter, I think it gives me more control; but since I mostly use American patterns, perhaps it would be better to buy the Boye set with US sizes?

Lots of patterns seem to specify a size 7 hook for #10 thread, and there is no exact equivalent of this size in locally available hooks.

Are the Boyes really well-made hooks? The Clovers are almost twice as expensive, and since "you get what you pay for" I am a bit worried that the Boyes may compromise on quality.

Thanks!

In line hooks means that the hook is the same size as the crochet hook shaft. some of the other hooks can be a bit bigger then the crochet hook shaft. I have the clover hooks too and I love them~~~~ I also use Boyle and Susan Bates and many other brands, and I love Heros too. I also have several wood hooks. My brittany wood hooks are more fragile I use them for light weight yarns mostly but will use red heart yarns too. You can not use a very firm grip on them when you crochet. You need a lighter grip. some people crochet tight and I think thats why they break, I may be wrong tho. Could just be the wood broke cause its fragile?? I just have never had one to break on me.. I also have several grey dog wood hooks --big wood hook like sizes o,p,q,r,s,t type of sizes. There are no letters on the hook but they are huge hooks and love them.,,and have bought other names I have bought on E-bay and love them. I use them more for rug and hot pad making. I use fabric to crochet with my large crochet hooks.

If you have spliting yarn when crocheting with yarn while you are crocheting and the yarn split thats because you are using the wrong size crochet hook, use a different size either go up 1 or 2 sizes up. so if you are using size G and the yarn splits then go up to size H or I or even a J crochet hook. Your yarn should not split no more. If it does then change name brands of the hooks.

You can use any size crochet hook with thread, I use size 5 on the average for size 10 threads. and yet I have used size 9 on size 10 crochet threads, it just depend on the look I am after. different size hook will give you a different look in stitch to stitch. Hopeing this is making since to you.

. I just use a little Pledge on them and they get slick again. .

also wax paper works. If your out and about away from your home--pledge is probably not with you.. Put some wax paper in a sandwich ziplock bag. and when your hook needs some help ,,,get out your wax paper and give it a good buff with it. Your wood crochet hook will be ready to do alot more crocheting with out all the oils from the furniture polish.

I'm with Yarnlover66 on this.... Susan Bates for yarn and Boye for thread. As far as cases go, I have so many....I have a wooden box that looks antique that I got at Michaels. I keep everything in it including scissors, measuring tape, pencils, erasers, stitch markers, etc. When I travel or take projects with me, I use a sunglass case that looks like a little purse that I got at CVS. It's perfect for holding lots of hooks, small pair of scissors and stitch markers.

...Secondly, I, too, am considering the purchase of a complete set of hooks, and I can't decide between the Clovers and the Boye set. I like the clovers because they just feel so perfect to hold, and I like the fact that they are a bit shorter, I think it gives me more control; but since I mostly use American patterns, perhaps it would be better to buy the Boye set with US sizes?

Thanks!

Altho I now prefer Susan Bates hooks for yarn and Boye for thread, I used Boye for yarn for years, and I think they are good-quality hooks. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the quality. (It's not the quality I object to, but the "style"...I now prefer inline hooks for yarn.) I think you should go with the hooks that are most comfortable and easiest for you to use. Since Clovers are bamboo and Boye are aluminum, it would be difficult to compare them. I think it just depends on which you prefer.

As for plastic, I bought a set of Crystallites and found them soooo UNcomfortable that I gave them away. On the other hand, I recently had to take an unplanned, overnight train trip, and I didn't have my crochet bag with me, so I ducked into a Michael's real fast and bought a skein of yarn and a Lion Brand plastic hook (because it was cheap). The hook has become one of my favorites. (I know, I couldn't believe it either.)

Thanks Carol; I think I probably will go with the Clover set, they aren't bamboo hooks, it's the set which is steel and aluminium that I'm interested in:

http://www.crochetaustralia.com.au/category43_4.htm

the second set down on the list.

I just love the steel hooks, they are an absolute luxury to hold - expensive, but I do have a birthday coming up.......... ;)

I might just buy ONE Boye hook, the size 7 - then I would have everything covered!

I use mostly boye aluminum hooks, although I am currently using a plastic size N for my son's afghan. The pattern is diamond shapes and just wasn't big enough using smaller hooks (pattern calls for an m) and I tried using an M wood hook but still wasn't big enough so now working with the plastic. I don't really like it much, doesn't slide like a metal hook.

For all of you who have cases, are any of them large enough for the long double ended cro-hooks?

Valerie

Interesting. Most of my hooks are Boye and then for some reason I purchased a Bates and favor it over all my other hooks. I'm still not sure I understand the concept of inline versus not but I'll look at them a bit when I get home to compare them. I also have a Lion Brand plastic hook and it's the worst thing I've ever used. The depth of the hook is so shallow that I can't even pick up yarn with it, it just slides right out.

I'm going to purchase one of the Brittany wood hooks because I like the length of them, I'm not keen on the short hooks.

I haven't tried the bamboo ones at all but never liked bamboo knitting needles, perhaps because they always seemed to stick on my yarn (I tend to use wool the most). I'm hoping that the Brittany hooks or the TOTC hooks don't stick. If I like the Brittany I'll probably purchase a full set of them or the TOTC hooks.

ETA: I purchased one of the Lacis Rosewood hooks (G) this weekend and it's so beautiful! It feels more sturdy than the Brittany Birch hook I compared it with and I liked the lack of embellishment on the end. It feels good in the hand and the length is nice. It does catch a bit when I'm crocheting but I think it just needs to get worn in a bit. It's not snagging just a little rough. I'll try some wax paper this evening on it.

I have alot of steel hooks, cant read the brand anymore, but these are so old, they are ones I used when I was a child, mom just gave the rest of her stah to me too. She did have a few aluminum in there too, I just prefer the steel for thread work.

However I do like the larger hook I made myself from birch (for larger yarns)

Interesting. Most of my hooks are Boye and then for some reason I purchased a Bates and favor it over all my other hooks. I'm still not sure I understand the concept of inline versus not but I'll look at them a bit when I get home to compare them. ...................

See this page for a description of the differnce between inline and not inline hooks. (look towards the bottom of the page)

http://www.karpstyles.com/crochet/Types-of-hook.html

Archived