Mother's Day Gift/First Thread Crochet (doily)

knit-errant

A couple of weeks ago my mom went yarn shopping with me. She kept going back to look at the crochet thread, asking if that is what you would make doilies with. She talked a lot about how her grandmother used to make doilies and tablecloths all the time, that she often wonders what happened to those, and that she regrets never learning to crochet.

So, I decided to do this as part of a Mother's Day gift for her. It's my first attempt at thread crochet, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. (I'm afraid to post this on my blog, but I don't think she knows about this place! ;) )

OK, Mother's Day has passed, so now I can post it on my blog! I was really pleased to find out that my great-grandmother did make a similar one! My mom was seemed very happy with it -- she said it was too pretty to use and wants her fiance to build her a shadowbox for it so she can hang it up on the wall!

I used Aunt Lydia's Classic Crochet #10 Thread in Dusty Rose, Mint Green, and White. The pattern I used is available here. Pic is clickable.

Thanks for looking!

135479154_b9d4b2dfc1_m.jpg

That is wonderful! You did a great job. I found that when I first started using thread instead of yarn that I had trounble with the tension until my hands got used to the different weight of the project and hook. Doesn't appear that you had any problem at all.

Leah, first off the doily is drop-dead gorgeous...I can't believe its your first doily. As a matter of fact, I can't believe you'd even pick one that looked like that for your "first" You're a very brave woman! LOL Excellent job...I love it!~

:yarn WOW! :yarn Leigh your doiley is gorgeous! None of my first projects ever turned out so beautiful! Your MOM will love it!

Leigh,

Not only is your doily simply stunning, but the jewerly you make ROCKS :eek I can not tell you my favorite, I have SOOO many. You are a very talented lady!!

Do you sell your jewerly? lol I love to make jewerly, but not nearly as talented as you are just yet :)

Donna

wow that is beautiful and for your first thread crochet, you did an awesome job. When I made ruffles around a sock for the first time, the hook kept slippins as well as the thread it kept coming apart. Now I am used to it I still can't make too much with it yet but I'm getting there.

Archived