Broach

Katchkan

I decided to get clever on my website and do new buttons to navigate around the site. After consulting with my Webmaster he gave me the Thumbs up to do what I wanted. So I crocheted a small motif that incorporated both Crochet and Beads. It measures 1 and 1/2 inches done in size 70 thread. Vintage thread that I had, since it was the shade of green I wanted. I used a size 13/.85mm hook. Well once it had its picture taken to become my new button I decided that it would make a neat broach for my Blazer. So I sewed on a pin back and voila my newest piece of jewerly. I also decided to use it for my avator for a while. Just a fun little piece.

ButtonBroach.jpg

:eek Size 70 thread!?! :eek:nworthy I am in awe. The broach is beautiful. Size 70 thread? :faint Excuse me while I am still faint. The broach makes a very nice button/avatar too. Very nice. :U

So beautiful, and fantastic as an avatar! Your work is an inspiration, even though my hands will barely tolerate a D hook. I wish I could work as small as you do, since I love delicate things, but it isn't to be.

Kathy, I admire your work so much. You are such an artist. Is there anywhere that I can go to read about thread and the sizing? I am clueless when it comes to thread... the only thing I've ever used is the crochet cotton you can buy at WalMart or Michael's type places and it's not that thin.

It's beautiful, Kathy! Whether a broach, avatar, button for your website or whatever....it's beautiful!!

Kathy, I admire your work so much. You are such an artist. Is there anywhere that I can go to read about thread and the sizing? I am clueless when it comes to thread... the only thing I've ever used is the crochet cotton you can buy at WalMart or Michael's type places and it's not that thin.
I do not know of any good sites that you can read about thread on. I learned about it years ago in books. I know that dates me, but so be it. I can tell you that the larger the number on the thread the smaller the thread. So size 10 is larger than a size 30 thread. You can get thread clear down to a size 100 which is about the equivilant of sewing thread.
From jaclim: Beautiful brooch, Kathy! How did you attach the malachite? Did you glue that on?
Jackie I glued the Malachite on the piece using a jeweler's glue. We will see how well it holds up. That's why I will keep this piece as a test piece to see how it does. It is now on my favorite blazer so I know it will get some use.

the broach is so lovely and elegant :cheerhow i wish i can make one. would you care to share the pattern please? thanks
To be honest I never even thought about a pattern for this. It is just a simple motif that I winged as I went. I had an idea of what I wanted and just started crocheting. Normally I write a pattern down as I go. But never dreamed this would be worth doing a pattern for. Will think about it.

Archived