Babysteps towards a tablecloth

Nefermiw

Last week I started working with thread for the first time. I wanted to make some roses that I will use for a birthdaypresent, so I won't post about that until two weeks from now.

But I will post about my first square made with thread! :hook

I've been thinking about making a tablecloth for our small table out on the balcony, so while making these secret roses in thread, I got to thinking about why not make a crocheted tablecloth out of thread.:) When I saw the pattern that Hellen used for her black shawl, I got the idea of using 3 colours, so two corners of the square would look like leaves and the center like a flower.

I've only made this first square so far, but I think I might actually start crocheting seriously towards a tablecloth as soon I'm done crocheting a blouse that I'm currently working on.

I might use a thicker thread though. :think

What do you think?

You can see my blog entry about the tablecloth-square here.

:rock

Wow! What an undertaking! You can do it, just think baby steps!!! I, too, have been thinking about making a tablecloth as well but I just don't handle large thread projects too well (took me almost 2 months to make a doily) so I am thinking about making one with size 3 thread as that's something I could feasibly finish.

I can't wait to see how yours turns out! I love the colors of the square you made. Very pretty!

that is just gorgeous - i keep saying i am going to do something in thread but started a bookmark a few weeks ago and it was very different than using yarn and havent finished it - i need to - i just love thread projects

Your square is lovely. Try running your leaves all one direction and see how that looks or like a trellis pattern, I can see it both ways. I think it would have better balance. Just a suggestion. Very pretty colors.

That is going to be one stunning tablecloth! The squares you are making are beautiful - I love the colors you are using, and the design is simply gorgeous. I also like Katchkan's suggestion about running the leaves in a trellis pattern - very beautiful either way.

That is really pretty! I love the way you gave a visual on how it would look as a completed piece - definitely encourages you to keep working at it! As a whole, a thread crochet tablecloth sounds rather daunting, but taken in bite-size piece as you are doing actually makes it seem possible! I'll be cheering you on~:cheer

Wow!!!! It's gorgeous! The colors you used for the sqaure are lovely! I admire your patience weaving in all those loose ends. I'm looking forward to seeing your tablecloth finished. :D

thats gorgous

what square pattern is that?

Click on the link to the black shawl in my post, then you'll find a link to the pattern on page 5 or so.

Oooh, that is so cute. That'll look great as a tablecloth. I wouldn't take a thicker thread unless you think this takes too long. But then I'm not a thread expert, I just like the delicate look of the square you've got. :)

Your tablecloth should be beautiful. I made Hellen's shawl in white cotton - a much coarser yarn then yours. I love the way you've done the colors. Have you thought about grouping the green so all 4 corners of one motif are green and all 4 corners of the next are white?

One of the best things about this group is the creativity. I never would have thought of using color on that motif. It's amazing how it changes the whole look.

You're very talented.

Archived