Alan Rickman and Snape graph-ghans

Becks

Ok, I am almost finished with this. I wanted it done last week in honor of his 60th birthday but I was sooooo much more less done than I am now,......LOL!!!! It was a nice sunny day today so I forced the kids out to hold it up(after bribes of many snacks).

Here's the picture I used.

b3c41420.jpg

It's a photo of a print someone was selling on e-bay last year.

They said in their auction that it was a self-portrait Alan did for a charity.

(Before he was an actor, Alan was a graphic artist, so I know he can draw.)

I have no idea which charity but he's always doing these nice things for charities so it sounds right.

ANYWAY, even if he didn't draw it, it's a fabulous image of him and I immediately thought of this when I decided to do an afghan of him.

Here's the almost-finished blanket...

th_blanket015.jpg

(As usual, images are clickable to enlarge).

th_blanket018.jpg

I say almost finished because I still need to block it to try and prevent the curling that this type of crocheting creates.

In this last shot I wanted the "autograph" to show up. This part was tough to do so I did it exactly as 2 squares by 1 square). Then, at about his shoulder/neck area, I went to 2 squares by 2 squares for the rest. This allowed me to keep the autograph tight and try to make it readable. (Although, as many Alan Rickman fans know, his autograph usually resembles "Aran Pinkman" anyway.) LOL!!!!

I think I will block it with black all the way around so it looks kinda like a picture frame. There are still a lot of loose ends to weave in at the back too.

Also I wanted to tell you all about my Snape ghan.

Like the Alan afghan, I had made the graph at this graph-generator site...

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

I used a 50 X 50 px Snape icon. This

ed42ae92.jpg

I took off the cunning word and made my own Snape word. The S is a snake with a cat's eye for his eye and a yarn tongue too.

th_blanket010.jpg

This is being held up by my mother-in-law, (who thinks I'm totally nuts). LOL!

th_blanket011.jpg

It looks best when viewed from a distance. I was surprised how much it did look like the picture.

When you are working on it you are thinking, "Oh my gosh, this looks like some kind of ink-blot test. Or sort of art-deco thingy." But when held up in a mirror at a bit of a distance, I could see how it actually was going.

ANYWAY, at the micoRevolt site they had a "call out" to people who used their graph generator for projects and asked if we could send in photos of our artwork. So I sent the photo of the Snape ghan.

I heard back that they would include my afghan and that they were also interested in exhibiting it at the Richard F. Brush Art Gallery in Canton, New York from March - April. So I sent it to them. I really can't wait to hear back on what people think of it. I hope they let me know. (Even if it's not so nice).

I am so glad I heard about this site from the people here at Crochetville.

They have even improved the quality and options of the graphs you make so the Alan one I did is done from the newer version.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!! :eek That's amazing!! Almost makes me want to try a graphghan!! Can you tell me how big is yours? And when you talk about the 2 squares by 2 squares do you mean that for each 1 block on the printed graph you do 4 squares to make it bigger? Or am I just making stuff up??

That just blew me away. They are really great. I :nworthy to you and your talent.

They are really great. Did you say who it was for? Also, who's 60th birthday?:think

Maybe I missed something.

Beautiful job and amazing graph.:hook

ANYWAY, at the micoRevolt site they had a "call out" to people who used their graph generator for projects and asked if we could send in photos of our artwork. So I sent the photo of the Snape ghan.

I heard back that they would include my afghan and that they were also interested in exhibiting it at the Richard F. Brush Art Gallery in Canton, New York from March - April. So I sent it to them. I really can't wait to hear back on what people think of it. I hope they let me know. (Even if it's not so nice).

I'm ten minutes from Canton! I'm so excited that your afghan will be on display. I'm going to go see it!

They are both awesome btw!

the Fargoan asked...

Can you tell me how big is yours? And when you talk about the 2 squares by 2 squares do you mean that for each 1 block on the printed graph you do 4 squares to make it bigger?

I'll have to go upstairs and measure it for you. I can post it later today.

I didn't measure the Snape one.

And, yes, for every square represented on the Alan graph, I went 2 across and repeated the row, (so 2 going upwards as well). (Except where I did the autograph. that was 2 across but only one up.

On the Snape ghan I went 4 squares across and 3 squares up.

The tunisian stitch is longer than it is wide, (at least for me), so to try and keep the perspective, (and to enlarge the ghan), I needed to make the adjustments.

Mary Jo asked....

who's 60th birthday?

:lol I'm sorry! I should have made it clear. It was Alan Rickman's 60th birthday the 21st of February. I always assume people know what I'm talking about, (forgetting that most of the time I'm just a babbling lunatic!) :lol

And Stacy! :clap I'm sooooooo glad to find someone out there who can actually go out to see the exhibit!!!!! :yay It starts tomorrow.

I can't wait to hear from you about how it was. Let me know everything, won't you?

How was it displayed? What people said? Did you like the ghan? What were the other exhibits like? Everything! :hug

Wow, those are fantastic! And I love Alan Rickman - I can't believe he's 60! And I can't be the only person who thinks he owns the character of Snapes. One of my other favorite rolls of his was as the Sheriff of Nottingham in the Kevin Costner Robin Hood. Sexy and evil all at once.

Them look so neat. I have a friend that is wanting another skull afghan. But this time he wants it to be an evil skull. I am not to good at the graph gahns so I am trying to figure out how to do this one... I am not into the skull thingy either.. and he wants it to be very big... what a challenge this is going to be for me. If you have any ideas please let me know what direction to go. I went to the site you have and looked around but now I need to find a evil skull picture that will work.

Archived