Join the Crochet Olympics

th_CopyofIM002006.jpg

The yarns were Turquoise and Ginger in Berroco Softwist, an off-white Microspun, and a Dune Trendsetter 'Copper Patina', the last of which is a mohair, acrylic, viscose, nylon, and metallic mix. These yarns were kinda pricey so I was determined to use every little bit and I did (2 hanks of Softwist for each color, 1 of Microspun, and 1 of Dune), using the last bits on a tie. Do you like it with or without the tie?:

With tie:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Crochet/CopyofIM002012.jpg

Side View:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Crochet/CopyofIM002007.jpg

Back View:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Crochet/CopyofIM002008.jpg

I like it better without the tie. Wow, it's amazing. I really like it.:hook

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have finally posted some pictures on my blog (posted on Feb 20) of what I've been doing during the Olympics. Not all of it has to do with my "event" but I'm pleased with what I've made so far.

Scarf #4 here I come... :)

Veronica,

Beautiful work!! And a lot of it. I'm still working on the sleeves of my shrug. :cheer

:hi Everyone, well I have updated my blog to included pictures of my current progress. Its slow going but its fun.:cheer So take a look and leave a comment if you want, if you don't that is OK too.:hook

MamaHooks

Great work!! I love the colors. I also like the edging you put on.:clap

Okay, I finally have the photos uploaded and here's the cutaway jacket (although through design changes, deliberate and not so deliberate, it's really a dropped waist jacket...)

47b6dc00b3127cce9700c88e598400000016108BZuHDlwyao

47b6dc00b3127cce9700c99a190800000025118BZuHDlwyao

47b6dc00b3127cce9700cf6719f600000025118BZuHDlwyao

I really like this jacket/sweater, but I will be making it again with adjustments...

Everybody is doing a great job!!!

mwedzi- Your sweater is beautiful, I like without the tie...:manyheart the colors that you used...:tup

Vernzap- like the scarves :clap and the lapghan is beautiful...

LeAnna- Didnt' have a clue what a cutaway jacket was. It's beautiful,was not what I pictured in my minds eye.. It's better....:manyheart the color..

Keep :hook ing...

Your jacket is Wonderful LeAnna, Job well done :yay

Well I have the main body of the shawl done. All that remains is the edging. Which I hope to complete today. Though it may be tomorrow before I get it done. It feels so good to be almost done. This has been a major task.

In addition to the picture of the whole thing I thought I would get a couple close ups of the roses. Getting a good picture of the whole thing is rather difficult. So here is a link to the picture of the whole shawl.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/Katchkan/Day11ButterfliesandRoses.jpg

And a couple detail shots. I know it doesn't show well but it has gold thread running through out the whole piece

Day11goldthreads.jpg

Day11ShawlDetailshot.jpg

Well I have the main body of the shawl done. All that remains is the edging. Which I hope to complete today. Though it may be tomorrow before I get it done. It feels so good to be almost done. This has been a major task.

Kathy, it is so pretty! I love the rose and butterfly theme. :manyheart

Wow! You're jacket came out so nice, LeAnna! I love the detail, it's beautiful! :)

Progress - I'm stalled on my Lush Carpet Bag. I've finished both sides all I need to do is attach the handles and sew up the sides but alas, this is not to be. I can't find the right size handles for the bag. It's a large bag and the handles available at Michael's are just to same to do the job. I think I can find bigger handles on eBay but that will take some time to get. I do know that I don't want to drive all over town on a wild goose chase.

Oh well! I was close to finishing on time. Even though I won't finish by the end of the Olympics, I'll still have a very nice bag when I can get the right size handles. :)

Good luck everyone!

Thank you for the compliments...Kathy your shawl is gorgeous...I just love filet crochet...

Mamaoso...it's hard to explain a cutaway jacket...but where the middle trim of the jacket was suppose to be was at the waist or at the top of one's pant waist band...and the cutaway part...think kind of like a tux with tails...that's called a cutaway...I extended the skirt part to the edge of the jacket...but this was nice...especially since it was so cold in Munich...it really kept me warm...

Sue, I'm so sorry about the handled...you know I thought of you when I was in this one needlework shop...they were selling purse and bag handles in bamboo and wood...I bought two sets of bamboo handles...

Wow! Everyone has done an amazing job. All of these pictures are beautiful. Congratulations on finishing your Olympic projects, ladies. :cheer

As for me...I finished my shrug on Saturday, around 5 p.m. I haven't had a chance to post or take pictures because my kids and hubby have had the intestinal flu since Sunday morning. That stuff just will not leave our house! :blush

I'll try to get pics later today and post them. It's not the entire jacket/shrug- I stopped at about row 6 on the ruffle. Decided I just wanted a shrug, not a jacket. But it's very cute, IMO. :clap

Great work!! I love the colors. I also like the edging you put on.:clap

I think it's a great choice of colors too. Very pretty! I've never made something to wear for myself. I really need to try something like that.

I'm afraid I won't have a great deal of time for crocheting though. I'll be traveling by myself back home (4 hours) for a funeral and will be there a couple days. I went to the library and got some books on CD to listen to while driving and ended up bringing home 3 books to read as well. So now my free time will divided between posting, crocheting and reading. :D

Congratulations everybody on your progress! :clap

I'm so glad you all like the jacket...you should have heard me though...the closer I got to getting the jacket done, the more stressed I got (and I'm being nice...) and my husband wasn't helping matters...at one point, I'm like 10 stitches away from having the last frog enclosure stitched to the jacket and hubby wants me to look at the sunset...I'm like, "Gimme five minutes..." and he goes into this whole song and dance about, "Hey God, can you hold the sunset for five minutes..." and then when I went to try it on, I discovered that I accidently stitched twice to the back of the jacket...oh I was hot...

Hubby, later on was like, "Man you get mean when you crochet..." (only when I'm so close to being finished and then discover a mistake...)

Saturday morning I was trying to finish up the last sleeve and I'm telling you I had to frog that puppy several times...I kept counting wrong, I kept making the wrong stitches, going in the wrong direction...and why? Because it was a beautiful day and we were suppose to be sightseeing...so moral to the story, I was rushing...if I'm rushing, I shouldn't be doing it...and all I was to do was just 10 little rows...not the whole sleeve...in the time it took to do those 10 rows with all the correcting of mistakes, I could have had the freaking sleeve done at a different time when I was more relaxed...which is what happened after we got done sightseeing and we were back in the hotel...but no...I was trying to do the impossible apparently and I paid for it...

In the end, of course, it was worth it...

Hi All!

Sorry I haven't contributed to the discussion much. I'm trying to work on my Olympic Sweater, do a swap item, have a happy family life :D and work. I read all the posts, but I don't have much time to respond to them.

I've updated the official Crochet Olympics site (http://www.jinglelady.us/crochet/olympics/). I added 6 more "Yarn-letes" who joined over the weekend. However, that's it - no more entries!

I also added the Gold Medal button (on the left side of the site) to the site for those lucky Yarn-letes who have already finished! Woohooo! Congrats! Feel free to snag the button, but please - copy the button to your own site (or Flickr or Yahoo Photos or PhotoBucket) and then link to it on your blog from there. It's considered impolite to just hotlink to the button on my site - it's in effect stealing my bandwidth. Which has some headroom, but it's still bad form. I'm not going to disable hotlinking, but please be polite and save it off to your site.

Finally - I decided on the random drawing prize for the Gold Medalist Yarn-letes (those who 100% complete their project by the Closing Ceremonies). The prize is.....(drum roll please)..... a $20 Gift Certificate to Knit Picks and a $10 Gift Certificate to Adagio Teas.

Speaking of - if you have completed your event, please drop an email to me at crochetolympics@jinglelady.us with a photo or link to your blog/website/photo site showing the complete item. I've already received about 5 emails from Gold Medalist Yarn-letes. I'll use these emails for the random drawing. :)

Happy Hooking and here's to finishing your chosen Crochet Event by Closing Ceremonies! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be among the Gold Medalists, but I think I'll obtain a Bronze Medal by then. ;)

Anna, your Crochet Olympics hostess :-)

In addition to the picture of the whole thing I thought I would get a couple close ups of the roses. Getting a good picture of the whole thing is rather difficult. So here is a link to the picture of the whole shawl.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/Katchkan/Day11ButterfliesandRoses.jpg

Simply goregous!:manyheart

Hi All!

Sorry I haven't contributed to the discussion much. I'm trying to work on my Olympic Sweater, do a swap item, have a happy family life :D and work. I read all the posts, but I don't have much time to respond to them.

I've updated the official Crochet Olympics site (http://www.jinglelady.us/crochet/olympics/). I added 6 more "Yarn-letes" who joined over the weekend. However, that's it - no more entries!

I also added the Gold Medal button (on the left side of the site) to the site for those lucky Yarn-letes who have already finished! Woohooo! Congrats! Feel free to snag the button, but please - copy the button to your own site (or Flickr or Yahoo Photos or PhotoBucket) and then link to it on your blog from there. It's considered impolite to just hotlink to the button on my site - it's in effect stealing my bandwidth. Which has some headroom, but it's still bad form. I'm not going to disable hotlinking, but please be polite and save it off to your site.

Finally - I decided on the random drawing prize for the Gold Medalist Yarn-letes (those who 100% complete their project by the Closing Ceremonies). The prize is.....(drum roll please)..... a $20 Gift Certificate to Knit Picks and a $10 Gift Certificate to Adagio Teas.

Speaking of - if you have completed your event, please drop an email to me at crochetolympics@jinglelady.us with a photo or link to your blog/website/photo site showing the complete item. I've already received about 5 emails from Gold Medalist Yarn-letes. I'll use these emails for the random drawing. :)

Happy Hooking and here's to finishing your chosen Crochet Event by Closing Ceremonies! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be among the Gold Medalists, but I think I'll obtain a Bronze Medal by then. ;)

Anna, your Crochet Olympics hostess :-)

Thanks for the update Anna! :) I also dont know if I can finish by closing ceremonies, but I really enjoy being a participant.:hook

My olympics sweater is crocheted... just assembly & edging remains. update with photos (including buttons) on my blog here:clap

http://flyinghooks.blogspot.com/2006/02/olympic-progress-day-12.html

Good Luck to all of us crocheting & assembling right to the last minute!!:cheer

Perfect, the sweater is gorgeous and the buttons go with it beautifully!! I've got one sleeve to finish sewing on and then the edging and I'll be done. Finally had a crochet buddy come over and tell me what I was doing wrong with the sewing. Stupid mistake and I kept making it over and over. At any rate, almost done!:)

Mwedzi - Your sweater is stunning. I love everything about it - the pattern the colors, and Congratulations on finishing!

LeAnna - two fantastic projects done - and worn. Wow

Barbara Jean- How CUTE!

Ginny - beautiful

I am in awe of all you who have finished and they are such impressive project(s).

As for me, I understand why athletes don't stay at home to compete. I am still in the games:hook , but the possibility of finishing by Sunday is getting more remote...

Anna - Thanks for all the time and effort put into hosting this. Good luck on your crochet project. I don't know how you can do life, compete, and host. It's been so much fun so far!:)

Archived