Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker

manda

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my copy last week quite by accident - sight unseen. I needed to add a book to my amazon order to get the free shipping (minimum $39 order). I was pleased to see a Stitch 'n Bitch crochet edition since I bought the Stitch 'n Bitch Nation book some time ago. I bought two copies of The Happy Hooker (had to get one for my friend) and was happy to see so many good patterns for such a low price.

I'm both a knitter and a crocheter. I do both equally and forget, in fact, which one I'm doing when someone on the street asks me if I'm knitting or crocheting. Again, I'm quite surprised that there's animosity between the two crafts.

Boy, I've got to get my head out of the clouds. :think

So far I've made the bikini bag (sans the bikini - the bod just isn't what it used to be) and it turned out quite cute.

th_purplebag.jpg

I'm hoping to make more items out of the book. I really like Dot's hat pattern. That may be next!!

Kudos to all who worked hard to put the book together!

I just got the HH book out of the Library (I was the first person to take it out ). I've been trying to check books out that way before shelling out the $$'s and being disappointed. Well, after having the book for 24 hrs. it's already on my 'wish list' at Amazon.

I don't crochet wearables (with the exception of bags and scarves and the occasional hat) but this book had lots of patterns I either want to try, or parts of patterns that I plan to utilize in other projects.

I've ben crocheting for years and after reading this book I was somewhat humbled to discover how much I did not know .. but do now :)

Joan

Thanks for telling us about the interview on NPR Debbie! (it's the only radio station i listen to)

It was really great to meet you at the Point on friday! i had a great time, and felt honored to be there...

i live in the nyc area... it's 938am... going to air the interview in a few... wake up everyone!!!

thanks!

Rosemary

Actually, at 1pm is when they'll make it available on their website. In most cities, this show airs in the morning (on your local NPR affiliate). Anyways, I just listened here in NYC and I'm sorry to say they cut out my grandma shout-out. Oh well.

agh! sorry to hear about that Debbie!

i just want to say that i spent all morning trying to teach myself to treble crochet (i know... sad... created so many things and avoided treble crochet) but i get it... and now i'm all intent on finishing the "Cold Shoulders Caplet" in baby alpaca yarn.... it's soooo yummy to work with... i splurged while at the point.... take care Debbie!

I got my book and I really love it. I think someone else had mentioned that the book has pages (and pages!) of crochet instructions. All the stitches, and methods, etc. I know it is helpful to those learning how to crochet, but there are so many books to teach how to crochet. I wish my book had come without all those instructions. Aside from that, I really like all the patterns in the book and am very happy to have it. I would definitely reccommend it! :clap :clap

I've recently received my book and really like it esp. the patterns you get. They actually have WEARABLE clothes in it! And they look cute. I look forward to trying out some of the patterns once I figure out which one.:think The binding appears to be good since I heard complaints about the book falling apart. I guess it's best to make a copy of the pattern you plan to use so you can take it anywhere w/o damaging the book much!

Dani and I were at the Debbie's signing at the Knit N' Knibble yarn store in Tampa Bay. She was hilarious. It was great to hear her telling a mostly knitting crowd that "crochet is not the red-headed stepchild". Not that knitters and crocheters should foster any issues with each other, it seems to happen. It was great meeting her(she even posed for a pic with my monkey:yay ). My first project from the book was the yee-haw hat. and now I'm working on the fat bottom bag. Mistakes or no mistakes, these patterns are updated to the trends and fabrics that are in the malls today. You could see most of these items on the racks at most retailers for more $$$$$ than we would ever pay for them. So, my review is for $17 bucks and an autograph, I'm getting some great patterns and some laughs along the way

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/petesgirl102393/c9764413.jpg

heres the pic, im holding the monkey, and have the most ridiculous grin on my face.LOL

Hey chica, if your grin is ridiculous then mine is!!! LOL

Ditto what Stephanie said, we had a blast and I love the book!!!

I didn't read this until it was too late to listen to it on the radio, but I just listened to the interview from the website. Very upbeat and cute, and I learned a lot more about her than crocheting, which was cool since she doesn't have to preach to me about crocheting, me already being a fan. Besides, fun personalities probably are the best sellers. She seems like a fascinating person.

Ditto; I just listened to it online as well, and thought "I'd like to crochet or knit with her in my little stitch group". I think I'll ask for this book for my birthday since no one ever seems to know what to get me anymore. The finished projects posted here sure have been cute.

What's next for Debbie? Tatting? Needlepoint? Lace making? Patty

I just got this the other day (after having looked it over a few times) with a 25% off coupon from Borders. The Borders Rewards program is eeevil! :) (free to sign up, you get a card, they send you coupons via email - and on your store receipt most times, and if you spend $50 in one month, you get a Personal Shopping Day with 10% off your entire purchase)

I've been buying so much more lately due to their coupons!

I'm a newbie and I'm very glad I read this thread. I am not advanced enough to spot mistakes yet- I usually think I did something wrong, LOL! My book is from the first edition and the pages are just fine- no problems at all. I think it is a great book and I love about 90% of the patterns! I'm just deciding which one I should try first :hook Thanks everyone for the corrections and info!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So where is the picture of the finished product?

I would love to see it. I designed this piece.:hook

I made Short'n Sweet, too! It was a lot of fun to make! Thank you for designing it. There is the picture:

154184874_ee25d6e36f_m.jpg

Archived