Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker

manda

Has anyone done both the book version and Dot's web site version?

I would love to hear your opinions on each version. Which one is easier? Which one is better constructed? etc...

I really love this hat but as a semi-newbie I'm very concerned about the pattern changes in the book and your posts about possible errors in the book.

Thanks for all your help.

_____

cindy

PS knithappens.com has added more book corrections.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm making the baroque cardigan first, I think, as long as I can manage to get some fingering weight yarn that's NOT baby colors. Yay!

Go to www.smileysyarns.com to check out their yarns; Cervinia Amalfi and Cervinia Calzetteria are fingering yarns in other colors; Cervinia Genova is classified as a sport, but at 145 yds to 1.75 oz you might be able to use that as well (for comparison, worsted is usually 100 yds). Smiley's has a $30 minimum order (before shipping) but it's still a good value.

Oooh, some of those are very pretty. I've never been to Smiley's Yarns before... seems very cool!

Thanks!

Has anyone done both the book version and Dot's web site version?

I would love to hear your opinions on each version. Which one is easier? Which one is better constructed? etc...

I really love this hat but as a semi-newbie I'm very concerned about the pattern changes in the book and your posts about possible errors in the book.

Thanks for all your help.

_____

cindy

PS knithappens.com has added more book corrections.

I just visited the site and can't find any book corrections; I couldn't even find the book again after browsing the site. I did not see a search option either; any suggestions?

I just visited the site and can't find any book corrections; I couldn't even find the book again after browsing the site. I did not see a search option either; any suggestions?

go to knithappens.com scroll to the right and down to oops i knit it again, there you will see pattern corrections link, click the word "here"

then scroll down thru the other books to the crochet book and there are the patterns listed with the corrections.

I just got my book today from amazon.com. I'm so thankful to have found this about the book's corrections before I start any of the patterns. I copied and pasted them into word and I am printing them off right now. Fold up and stick in the back of my book.

What project am I going to try first? What projects has everyone made from this book?

ALSO, just to let you know--the first time I opened my soft covered book--the binding broke. I'm afraid now I'm going to have loose pages. Kind of aggravating!

:hook :hook

>> What projects has everyone made from this book? <<

I got mine last Thursday and am finishing the second of two of the Knot Shrugs. One is in lilac Caron SS. I lengthened the sleeves to full length and edged the fronts and sleeves with a picot edging. The second one is being done in autumn red Caron SS and I will probably use a shell type edging on it. I love this pattern and found it sooo simple to follow and very quick to finish.

My book is the hard back version and had all the pages in the correct order. It is a very heavy book and the pages are a heavy fine quality that should last a long time. She describes everything in a very easy to understand way. I love so many of the patterns in it and have marked quite a few to work on over the next several weeks. :-)

I know I'm waaaay behind the play, but you come to expect that, living in New Zealand ;)

But, I just checked my order, and my copy is in the country, and may arrive today! :clap I'm almost considering not going in to Uni until it arrives... But then I'd be disppointed if it didn't arrive today. Plus it would be a waste of a day, as I left my readings in my office... Better that it arrives in my absence and then I can walk to the post shop and pick it up tomorrow morning. I can't wait!

I'm also stoked because I ordered it only 9 days ago, and it could have taken 4-6 weeks to get here. Man, I love realgroovy.co.nz.

Hello-

I usually lurk here and love this board. I have learned so much. I am a beginner in crochet and recently got the Stitch and Bitch Crochet book..I love the patterns and the information in the book.

My mom and I were looking at the Stroller Blanket in the Seija Set on page 282 and noticed that the first row is as follows after Chaining 76: "Dc in fourth chain from hook, dc in each dc across, turn-74 stitches. Is that a mistake??? "Should it read dc in each chain across?" I am a real beginner and would appreciate someone clarifying this pattern for me. We really love that blanket and would love to make it. I have look at the corrections page and didn't see it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

I have found this thread to be very interesting. Why are there so many typos and problems with this book? Was it rushed through editing so they could get it on the streets? Missing pages? Binding breaking? Sounds like the publisher did a poor job IMO.

It's funny you mentioned that, cuz I wondered the same thing - although, if I'm not mistaken, the release on this book was actually delayed due to copyright issue with the Stitch n Bitch logo. Maybe it's just cuz it's a first edition? It is frustrating, though!

Maybe it's just cuz it's a first edition? It is frustrating, though!

I don't think it's because it's a first edition; I think they just went with a "bargain" binding. It's too bad that they didn't use a binding that would hold up long enough for someone to open the book, especially after the success of the other Stitch N Bitch books.

I don't mean to disparage anyone, but these things can usually be traced to the almighty dollar. Perhaps the publisher, once getting the rights to the book, saw an opportunity to clean up, so to speak.

It's really a shame. Some people prefer softcover over hardcover, and now, if you want to actually use the book, you're forced into buying the hardcover, sometimes even after buying the softcover, so your investment, so to speak, is almost tripled.

I haven't made up my mind about buying this book; tell me, IYHO's, would it be worth it? Amazon has the hardcover for $16.85, I think, or somewhere around there.

I realize that there are going to be typos and changes, especially when it comes to pattern books. But really....it seems like there are lots and lots of problems with it! And the binding? Please.... It's sad that a cheap paperback novel has better binding than this book! Not to mention all the blank pages, pages out of order, etc. It seems somewhat unprofessional, IMO.

I think it's a reflection on Stoller than the contributing designers. There are PLENTY of first edition books out there that don't have THIS many problems. Did the original book have this many issues? And how does this book REALLY reflect on the art of crochet when the publisher doesn't care enough to make a QUALITY book? "Here's a piece of crap book to go with your piece of crap craft?"

I think it's disrespectful to the designers, who deserve a much better "home" for their contributions. I am in NO WAY bashing the designers. They deserved to be treated better than this.

All IMHO of course.

Well, my pattern turned out to have errors in the pattern stitch explanation, and that's after I went over it with a tech editor. I missed it, she missed it, and a frustrated crocheter found it. If an accurate chart of the pattern stitch had been included, perhaps that could have been circumvented. I know some of the patterns have charts, and I submitted a chart of the pattern stitch, but it may have been left out due to space constraints.

I do know that there was the intention of having all the patterns formatted the same way and "speaking the same language", which may have contributed to the errata problem. The errors in my pattern stitch are mainly due to failure to include "yo" in several parts, but when I read through it, I didn't think of including yo in those areas because it's for dc sts, and I assume a yo when doing a dc. For a newbie, or someone accustomed to a different writing style, not so. It may be worth adding that I learned to crochet at a very young age and have only rarely used a written pattern, so I may not be familiar with a standard crochet pattern writing style, if indeed there is one.

I don't know all the details of how a book is done from start to finish, so I can't really speak to why some books are error-free and others are riddled with them, or if it would be best to bring it up with the publishing house or with the editor (Ms Stoller, btw, is active on Craftster.org, where a great deal of discussion about individual patterns is taking place and errors are being spotted). I am glad, though, that the internet has really sped up the communication and correction of errata. There's a .pdf download of all the SNB HH errata available:

http://www.bust.com/knithappens/snbhh-errata.pdf

Some of the errors are due in part to them being "translated" into one "language," which is determined by the technical editor. I can state the error of my pattern was attributed to that, as well as several others. I've been selling that pattern for a year and a half and have never had someone contact me about any errors.

I think with all ventures which require so many hands in the pot, so-to-speak, that there are going to be errors. I personally am not miffed that they've occurred, as long as they're being found and addressed in a timely manner, which I believe they are. Debbie has posted the errata super quickly (i.e. I emailed her on a Friday night and by later on Saturday my errata was posted on her site.) I also don't think pointing the finger at Debbie is completely fair. She put faith in the technical editor to get these patterns correct. I can't imagine Debbie having to check every single pattern, testing each one out herself, can you? That's what she pays other people to do.

OK, I'm jumping off the soapbox here. None of my comments aren't meant to contest other opinions as much as they are to just share my perspective on the whole issue.

Beyond that though, I hope everyone is finding new and exciting patterns that they've enjoyed making.

I thought I'd mention that while at my LYS this weekend, I checked the binding on the original SnB paperback - it's the same deal. So, I don't think it's a crochet thing - I think it's a bottom-line thing. Really, the pages are thick and the pictures/color are good, and the price is not very high considering the volume of pages...I guess there has to be a sacrifice somewhere.

I plan on having my copy coil-bound soon, just to be on the safe side with loosing pages.

Well, I'm quite lucky, as I can have my dad do it for me at his work. However - Kinko's or your local copy shop will be able to do it, too. I know that it's not *cheap,* exactly, but I don't imagine it's going to cost a fortune, either - probably not more than $10, and I doubt even that.

I personally prefer a spiral bound over a hardbound, also, since then I can flip to the right page and it'll stay open. The few extra dollars investment would be worth it to have a book that will withstand the wear and work the way I want, y'know??

I tried to find a link with some pricing info for ya, but coil binding seems to be a tricky thing to Google, LOL!!

I think the coil-bound idea is a good one for project/craft books. My only issue would be that the coil not allow pages to fall off. I have two copies of each teacher's manual for all my K - 5 classes, and I find that the more heavily traveled editions have that problem. Sometimes the coil somehow un-does itself, leaving pages to fall off on one end. Spiraling them back on can be annoying. Then again, these are large books which are thicker than a crochet pattern book would be. Still, I like the idea much better than a regularly bound book. These are all things to take into consideration for "some day." ;-)

I thought I'd mention that while at my LYS this weekend, I checked the binding on the original SnB paperback - it's the same deal. So, I don't think it's a crochet thing - I think it's a bottom-line thing.

When you think about the target market for the SNB books (young, beginner), offering the book at relatively low price is part of the marketing. There is a hardcover version available (list price $25.95) for those who want a stronger binding, but all I've seen in the bookstores are the paperbacks, which have a list price of $15.95 and are selling like mad. Which is good - to make money off of a paperback, you need to sell much more of them than you would of the hardcovers.

Good tip on getting the books spiral-bound at a copy shop, Natalie058!

Archived