Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker

manda

There is a hardcover version available (list price $25.95) for those who want a stronger binding, but all I've seen in the bookstores are the paperbacks, which have a list price of $15.95 and are selling like mad.

Check out Amazon...the hardcover is $16.35 or $16.85, somewhere around there. The softcover is I think $10.85. Sounds like it'd be worth it to get the hardcover version.

(As for the "excuses" for why there are so many errors in the directions, I've bought plenty of other books that don't have errors. I don't think there really is an excuse. I think they [publishers, or whoever] just wanted to get it out there, knowing it would sell regardless. Shame on them.)

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Errors, binding, whatevah - I'm still happy with it! To date, it's the book with the most patterns I'd actually make from a collection of designers, and that's saying something. It's helping get names that have been big on the online crochet world into print, and it's getting crochet publicity in a huge way.

All in all, I have to give Debbie props for doing her thing - her job to was collect funky patterns and author an original crochet manual - and I feel she did her job well.

Notice that no one in this thread has said "Oh, the book sucked" or "The patterns were played out and ugly" or had any actual complaint about the content... Furthermore, I believe if this were a LA publication, no one would have even bothered to knitpick about flimsy binding or corrections - we're used to that crap from pulishers like LA. I think has a lot to do with the fact HH was really hyped before it's release, and also that some crocheters seem to be trying to find any reason to criticize Debbie, "the knitting queen."

That is a great idea about getting this book spiral bound. My binding cracked the first time I opened it on my Happy Hooker book. I'm afraid to turn the pages now where it broke too hard fearing that they will all become loose pages.

I work in a college community and there is a Copy Works on the corner from my office. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they provide this service and what it costs.

I think has a lot to do with the fact HH was really hyped before it's release, and also that some crocheters seem to be trying to find any reason to criticize Debbie, "the knitting queen."

Since I'm the one that did a lot of "complaining" about the quality of the book, I'd like to reply to this statement.

Although I have not yet seen the book, I was rather surprised at the number of posts (both here and at crafster) about the binding "cracking" and pages coming loose.

I am a certified bookaholic. Every room in my house has a bookcase of some type. Even my hallway is lined with bookcases. My DH and kids are bookaholics too. All this to say, that I've only run across one or two books AT MOST that had any kind of binding issues.

If *I* were Debbie, I would be very upset because the quality of the book is a reflection of "me," and my work. The fact that the book had errors wasn't a big surprise, but the number of errors did raise my eyebrows. And yes, I **do** think the editor and/or author SHOULD have either gone through each pattern themself or had a group of testers. Heck, there are people HERE that use volunteer testers for FREE PATTERNS.

I guess I don't get the big Debbie "hoopla." It's not like she wrote all the patterns herself. I do hope that all the contributing designers got a very nice compensation deal for their designs. I just hope that the cheap binding and numerous editing mistakes were not part of an indifferent attitude towards crocheters. IMHO again, of course.

:scrachin

As the author of this book (~~~~waves to Mk and Amie!~~~~) it's been fun--and sometimes not so fun--reading this thread. I thought it might be helpful to pop in and address some of the concerns raised here (btw, PhotoJen, since you admit that you've never even seen the book I think it would behoove you to at least get a look at it at some point). For one thing, SNB HH was most definitely not made with less care or quality than my previous knitting books; in fact, this book is much higher quality than the initial stitch n bitch knitting book was. In that book, the pages were printed only in two color (black and orange) and there was a short four-color (full color) insert of photos of the projects smack in the middle of the book. The Happy Hooker is four-color throughout. So no, there was no "crocheter hatin" at work here.

The binding thing is a weird one, and I've notified my publishers that some folks have been having this issue (I've been working my own copies of the books pretty hard, and nothing's cracked, so maybe--hopefully--this was only an issue with a small subset of copies, possibly some kind of bindery mistake). I am 100% certain that Workman didn't scrimp on the printing costs here so I can only guess how this issue arose. The previous two SnB books are bound the exact sme way and this has never come up before.

The errors in the patterns are definitely disappointing, doubly so because myself, the designers, and the technical editor all spent a lot of time carefully reading and re-reading the patterns for errors. It is true that the technical editor did a lot of reformatting of the patterns (coming from 40 different sources) to standardize them, and sometimes errors get introduced that way, but when I was still discovering too many errors in my 2nd read through I actually fought to hold up the book (remember how the publication date kept being pushed off from when it was supposed to be in stores? this is why) in order to give the technical editor enough time to go through every pattern AGAIN, super carefully.

And still there are errors. Unfortunately, it seems to be the nature of the beast (see, for instance, http://www.needleartsbookshop.com/erratakb.html). And also, while I've been lucky enough that when my books come out, knitters and crocheters have dived right in and pumped out just about every project in them in record time, it also means that any and all errors get found immediately. That said, I am *very* interested in trying to figure out how to end up with less errors in future patterns. I've thought about having samples worked up, but I can't quite figure out the logistics of that. For one thing, yarn companies will often donate yarn for a project in a published book, but will they lend 2 times as much yarn, just so that samples can be worked up? Maybe I could have samples worked in those Big Pound o' Love yarns, but then, most projects are presented in 5 sizes - S,M, L,XL, XXL - do I have all 5 sizes worked up? Because as you know quite frequently an error might show up in 1 size, but not the others. Any ideas on this subject would be welcomed.

Finally, PhotoJen, when you get a look at the book, you'll see that, while I didn't write the patterns, and was lucky to have found (and actively sought out) such wonderful & talented contributors, I did write the first third of the book, which I'm hoping will help to teach as many people to crochet as my first book helped to teach knit. I don't know about a "Debbie Stoller hoopla", but I have heard folks tell me that my books helped them learn to knit and that's one thing I'm super proud of.

Of course, I also understand that not everyone's going to dig the book; that's fine, too, honestly. Different stitches for different bitches, is what I always say.

:::i now return you to your regularly scheduled programming:::

I don't think the binding troubles and misnumbered pages are problems across the board. The binding on the one I purchased is fine as is the page order. I am in humid crazy weather Texas and all seems well. And trust me in the two weeks I've had the book it has been abused, meaning the dog has pushed it off the bed, I've lugged it here and there and The Old Man has thumbed through it and not very gently I might add.

As far as the errors, there are gonna be errors....that's just the nature of the beast. Am I happy about it, nope, BUT something has already been done to rectify that. No errors good, lots of errors bad, lotsa errors being corrected, livable.

As far as the hooplah for a name, I dont "get it" per se BUT I am just glad there is some sort of hooplah going on, anything to get a good thing happening for crochet....the sometimes ugly step sister of knitting. Hoop it up.....we need good press, so to speak.

As for the patterns, it was nice to see familiar faces in the pages as well as youngish styles.

Only complaint from me, wish there were more patterns for males. A cardi perhaps or something.

Rogue-ish and manly, yet hip. Think Rhett Butler meets Davy Havoc or something. No one shoot me......just thinking out loud.:blush

BTW, I paid 12 bucks and change for the book(got it at Hastings)...gotta love that educators discount! Hell, I've paid more than that for ONE pattern!!!

(btw, PhotoJen, since you admit that you've never even seen the book I think it would behoove you to at least get a look at it at some point).

I'd love to see it too. Unfortunately, it seem as though N Texas is on the tail end of the shipping hierarchy when it comes to new craft publications. Either that or I just have a crappy bookstore.

For one thing, SNB HH was most definitely not made with less care or quality than my previous knitting books; <snip> The Happy Hooker is four-color throughout. So no, there was no "crocheter hatin" at work here.

Glad to hear it, although I never said there was any active animosity towards crocheters by either yourself or your publishers. What I DO find interesting that some readers of this thread seem to think that I am being critical about the CONTENT of your book. Nope, haven't done that at all. If you would care to read my previous comments, you'll notice that I've not made ANY remarks about the content of the book, because I haven't READ it yet. However, I am looking forward to getting a look at it when my bookstore finally gets a copy.

I was simply stating my concern that the "IT" book seemed to have a surprising number of problems (IMO). I guess I had unrealistic expectations because your book was so enormously popular before it was even released..... I was holding it to an unatainable standard of perfection.

I rarely have/hear about printing problems with "idea" books in another enormously popular craft that I am involved in. And some of those message boards can be cut throat. If one of their anxiously awaited idea books had experienced similar difficulties, many of them would have flooded the message boards. And perhaps that is why I was surprised at the LACK of comments of concern about SNB HH.

The errors in the patterns are definitely disappointing, doubly so because myself, the designers, and the technical editor all spent a lot of time carefully reading and re-reading the patterns for errors. <snip>

And still there are errors. Unfortunately, it seems to be the nature of the beast <snip> Any ideas on this subject would be welcomed.

Perhaps I was unconsciously expecting more than what could reasonably be accomplished with regards to the pattern errors. The crochet language does seem to have a million different dialects. That's why a group of testers would come in handy. I've always assumed that there was SOMEONE testing patterns and making samples (for any pattern book/leaflet/freebie) other than the designer.

Finally, PhotoJen, when you get a look at the book, you'll see that, while I didn't write the patterns, and was lucky to have found (and actively sought out) such wonderful & talented contributors, I did write the first third of the book, which I'm hoping will help to teach as many people to crochet as my first book helped to teach knit. I don't know about a "Debbie Stoller hoopla", but I have heard folks tell me that my books helped them learn to knit and that's one thing I'm super proud of.

I'm sorry if I came across as belittling the time and effort you put into the book. That certainly wasn't my intention. Yes, there's a hoopla, otherwise your books wouldn't be so popular. I don't "get it" because your writing style doesn't resonate with me. But I certainly didn't mean for any of my concerns to come across as a personal attack. If it did, I offer you my most sincere apologies.

ETA: I wanted to clarify one point. I **do** hope Debbie's book is sucessful. I think crochet could really use an image boost and some great new hip patterns. But I'm thinking about this from a new crocheter's point of view. 11 pattern corrections (See Debbie's Errata Download) and my book falling apart or having missing/mixed up pages could be very frustrating. Especially if I didn't have internet access.

I belong to several book clubs and I have received wonky books from time to time. Whaddayagonna do? As long as there are humans there will be errors.

But I gotta tell you, mistakes or not, the Happy Hooker (and the knitting one) is the best book purchase I have made in a long time!

Jen you are right about the crochet books available, I have to order each of mine from Hastings, takes about 10-14 days for them to arrive. Crochet books are never ordered for the store itself nor are crochet magazines.

I don't understand it, but at least I can order them and have the option of not buying them if I don't care for them.

It's such a help to have reviews from so many crocheters. I can't tell you how many magazines/books I've bought only to be disappointed in the content. Will definitely keep my eyes peeled for this one! Thanks to all -Glenda:cheer

My book had no problems with its binding or pages... it even stays open to my page beautifully. I'm glad I had the corrections pointed out... I am almost halfway done with my first sweater! I love my book! I love the directions! I learned things I didn't know (and didn't know I didn't know!!)

My favorite part thus far, though, is telling my friends the name of the book. They all laugh so hard... funny!!!

As the author of this book (~~~~waves to Mk and Amie!~~~~) it's been fun--and sometimes not so fun--reading this thread.

I don't know about a "Debbie Stoller hoopla", but I have heard folks tell me that my books helped them learn to knit and that's one thing I'm super proud of.

[~~waves back at you!~~]

I have to add, I picked up Deb's first book two years ago at Christmas time and I learned to knit a cozy for my digi camera in a night. I was thrilled with how easy (and humerous!) the instructions were, which made me not want to give up. And I'm glad I didn't. I think that's the beauty about her books: laughter and humor make it easier (and more fun) to learn new tasks, and commit them to memory, educationally-speaking. I support her way of teaching others what she loves to do.

I Looked Through The Book Today At Booksamillion And I Wont To Buy It As Soon As I Have The Extra Money. The Patterns's Look Like They Are Fun And For A Newbie To Crochet Its Seems She Gives Very Good Instructions On How To Crochet And I Need Those Since I Am New To Crochet. Theresa

I was able to look through this book at SnB at a lys tonight. It is huge! My store was selling it for $15 plus change, but I know Amazon sells it for about $5 less. How on earth can they sell a book that huge with color photos for less than $11?! I tried to make a magazine with color photos for houseplants (entertaining but short-lived) and color printing and copying are out of this world. Well, anyway, I was impressed. Don't know about the binding, though, since I hear there are so many problems. I know about perfect binding, or "not-so-perfect" binding as we sometimes call it, so maybe I'll order the hardcover.

I LOVE that Prepster jacket.

I really like this book and was shocked that the bookstore only wanted $15.95 for it. Although most of the patterns are a little young for me, I think they'd be easily adaptable to those of us with, uh, more mature bodies. Case in point. My teenaged step-daughters are each getting a "Short and Sweet" shrug for their birthdays next month. Then I plan on making one for myself - a little longer and with more coverage around the front to hide those menopausal lumps and bumps. "Frou Frou", "Unseamly Sweater" and "Go for Baroque" will work for younger and older figure types. I'm happy with the whole book - layout, patterns. I even liked the history lesson.

My only complaint - the sweater Debbie is wearing on the cover of the book - where do I find THAT pattern?

I didn't know that was Debbie on the front cover! She's so cute!

Is this sad?: I've been thinking about buying an iPod with my tax return money - and I wasn't sure which one - the video, Nano, or shuffle - and I think I may have to buy the big one to fit the cozy in the book. I love that monkey!!

Ok Ladies--The Big Question Is -- Is it worth it?

IMO, more than. I have have paid nearly as much as I paid for HH for a single pattern, and there are several very nice patterns in here, not to mention the well-written instructional section.

To give you an idea of how much of a deal this book is:

If you were to buy the patterns for Amie's Sweet Pea Shawl, Stitchdiva's Baroque Jacket, and Croshay's Boy Beanie, which are all in the book, you'd pay a total of $18.50... More than what you'd pay for the entire [paperback] book!!

Ok Ladies--The Big Question Is -- Is it worth it?

Absolutely! The book is great. For a beginner the instructions are easy and clear. The writing is fun and easy to follow. The patterns are almost all something that I'd be interested in making but are also things you would really want to wear. And really getting it at Amazon for less than $15 with shipping is a really good deal. I'm more than happy that I bought it.

Tropicallie - It's hard to tell from the cover since the outfit is black on black, but I *think* that Debbie is wearing a basic black top with the black tie front shrug from the book. [The one you plan to make, if I'm not mistaken!]

I think you might be right, Natalie. I was thinking it was one whole sweater but now that I really look at it, it probably is just as you described. And she wouldn't wear something that cute on the cover of the book and not include the pattern, right?

Guest Catlizg

After reading all the postings on this book I ordered, and received, my copy from Amazon today. My 21-year-old daughter cracked up over the title and asked me if it REALLY was a book about crochet! I can't wait to get started on some of the patterns in there.

from the UK , just wanted to say i love your book, it has enthused me and is encouraging me to make the leap from tiny items for prem babies which is what I ususally do to be more adventurourous and make some grown up stuff. There are some lovely projects, well done all you designers:clap that are wearable/usable

It is difficult to get crochet patterns here in the Uk :( so the book is a good buy for me

ok its disppointing that there are errors but at least they have been corrected oh and my book hasn't cracked any more that any other paperback

I made the in bloom bag for my daughter who loves it and is after the shrugs more bags and the flower scarf as a belt so i will be busy but as its mother's day here I am going to put my feet up and choose something just for me to make just for me:lol may be frou frou tho might be a little ambitious:eek for a novice such as I am

anyway thanks for the book:manyheart

Archived