Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker

manda

My copy came in last Saturday, a day when I really needed a distraction; therefore, I read the thing beginning to end, which is not something I usually do with my pattern books.

Overall, I like it. The patterns are cute, though IMO there are too many wearables. I rarely make things much larger than a scarf because of tendonitis and a short attention span, so that is completely and totally my neurosis talking. :blush

Her breezy writing style was easy to read and I happily read her beginner's instructions. I think hers are clearer than most I've read. I like how she touched on the "holy war" between crocheters and knitters but didn't belabor the point. (I didn't even know there was a holy war. I thought people could just do whatever the heck they wanted to and no-one would give them any grief about it. Guess I was wrong. :shrug )

I only have one little complaint. I like to crochet with thread. Granted, as I said before, I rarely make wearables, but I don't think that preferring to crochet with thread makes me any more insane or masochistic than anyone else. Any masochistic tendencies I have are more than satisfied by having 3 cats in the house; why would I add to my pain with my hobbies? :devil

That quibble aside, it's a good book and I am making the doormat as soon as I'm done with my flowers for the exchange.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only have one little complaint. I like to crochet with thread. Granted, as I said before, I rarely make wearables, but I don't think that preferring to crochet with thread makes me any more insane or masochistic than anyone else. Any masochistic tendencies I have are more than satisfied by having 3 cats in the house; why would I add to my pain with my hobbies? :devil

I have to agree with this...this actually was my other "quibble..." I love to work with crochet thread and I don't see it as being masochistic, however, I do believe she was trying to keep the focus on yarn for this first book on crocheting...maybe in the future she'll come out with another book and have a section on that.

I just ordered both from Amazon, free shipping for over $25.00 and it all came to $26 :hook

Would you be so kind as to comment on the quality of the hardcover version when it arrives?? I'd be so grateful for the info!! :hug

I love this book- I got it late last week, there are so many things that I want to make but am yet to decide what pattern I will tackle first- it would be the Jolly Roger sweater but I'd already planned and started something very similar before I got the book [could have saved myself some time if I'd gotten the book a couple of weeks earlier :lol but I actually enjoyed planning this one myself]

Would you be so kind as to comment on the quality of the hardcover version when it arrives?? I'd be so grateful for the info!! :hug

Sure, no problem. I'll compare them when they come.

Amazon delivered and they are expected on the 17th. Upated, ordered on the 4th shipped on the 8th received on the 9th gotta love amazon.

What in particular are you interested in knowing?

Cindy

I got my book a while back and just finished my first project from it. I completed the Short and Sweet sweater and I really like it.

Just curious to know if anyone else is working on anything from the book?

just got my book today and I LOVE it!!!!!!

I cant wait to get started...but I just cant decide on what to tackle first. Fortunately ACMOORE is having 30 percent off their yarns! wooooo hoooo!!

Goin to grab some more yarn tomorrow!!

;o)

I got my book a while back and just finished my first project from it. I completed the Short and Sweet sweater and I really like it.

Yup, finished "cupcake" I just need to sew it together and started the "designer wannabe" tank...don't know how long that will take as I have 3 other projects in the works.

Cupcake was super easy and worked up super fast. 2 evenings for the front and back and about an hour for the sleeves, Some of the directions are a bit wonky though but no problem if you have done this for a little while.

The colleges in Ontario are all on strike so my mom and I had to forgo our biweekly massage. We went straight to Chapters and I found the Happy Hooker faster than Lily Chin on acid! When I got home, I went through my stash and picked out some RH in fushia to make the YeeHaw lady hat (tres funky and I've just recently seen Brokeback!?). I'm about halfway through and have found a couple of mistakes. First, throughout the beginning it says to sk the first st, but then the stitch count is off, so I ignored that instruction. Then when you get to the band portion and refer to stitch instructions for the cluster stitch, it has an extra yo between the first portion and second portion of the stitch. This would have made for a double crochet then a treble crochet in the same cluster. So I ignored that as well. This isn't really a problem for me (and probably most of us) as I spotted the errors before I even started them. But for a novice (or even worse, a knitter!?) this might be a big issue.

Has anyone else found any errors in the individual patterns?

Dot, the designer of that hat, is a member here so she might have the pattern corrections for you. :)

LOL I'm having a brain fart and can't remember her exact user name to share with you if you wanted to drop her a PM. :lol Sorry Dot!

There's an error with my pattern in the book. I've notified Deb and hopefully it'll get up on the errata page soon. If you're working on the shawl, the shell motif directions are missing a "ch 1" at the beginning and the end of the motif.

I'm about halfway through and have found a couple of mistakes. First, throughout the beginning it says to sk the first st, but then the stitch count is off, so I ignored that instruction. Then when you get to the band portion and refer to stitch instructions for the cluster stitch, it has an extra yo between the first portion and second portion of the stitch. This would have made for a double crochet then a treble crochet in the same cluster. So I ignored that as well. This isn't really a problem for me (and probably most of us) as I spotted the errors before I even started them. But for a novice (or even worse, a knitter!?) this might be a big issue.

Oh, my heavens! I'm so sorry there are errors in it.:blush Not trying to sound like I'm not owning up to any errors, but, I authorized some changes to be made to the pattern and I'm not sure what (if anything) was changed. It would be great if you'd report the errors to Debbie Stoller. It may be awhile before I'm able to make the hat. I do hope you enjoy wearing it. I'd love to see how it turns out for you.

Hey Tiffany, I'm sorry to say I don't have corrections for the pattern. Brain farts are allowed :lol my username is bythehook.

Dot, the designer of that hat, is a member here so she might have the pattern corrections for you. :)

LOL I'm having a brain fart and can't remember her exact user name to share with you if you wanted to drop her a PM. :lol Sorry Dot!

Wow! I am so glad I checked this today! I started the Yeehaw hat, too and I was getting really frustrated because I couldn't get the count to work either! I am just happy to see that it wasn't me:hook . I went to the Sttch 'n bitch site and emailed them about the problem. Hopefully it will be on the corrections page soon. I've never been that good at fixing the directions myself. Love the hat along with many other patterns. Thought a kelly green one for St. Patrick's day would be fun.

Nice job on the pattern!:clap

Sure, no problem. I'll compare them when they come.

What in particular are you interested in knowing?

Cindy

Hi! I'd just like to know about the quality of the hardcover; there have been some negative comments about the binding breaking on the softcover ones, suggesting maybe the book will fall apart before it should. I'm wondering if the hardcover has a decent binding so the book won't fall apart fast! If it's worth it to buy the hardcover over the softcover.

Thanks!!

So where is the picture of the finished product?

I would love to see it. I designed this piece.:hook

Despite the typos on the YeeHaw hat, it turned out fantastic. I substituted RH in light fuschia and my daughter LOVES IT!!! I don't have pics yet, but it looks just like the photo!

Great job, Dot!

This was well worth the wait for me. My mom was going to Chapters yesterday and asked me if I wanted anything. Since I haven't been able to locate in any of my local stores, I asked her to pick it up. I told her she was looking for a Happy Hooker named Debbie. lol I had visions of her asking for help finding this book! lol I'm dying to make Dot's Yeehaw Lady Hat (thank you, Dot, it's fabulous) and Froufrou! And maybe everything else too. :cheer

Hi! I'd just like to know about the quality of the hardcover; there have been some negative comments about the binding breaking on the softcover ones, suggesting maybe the book will fall apart before it should. I'm wondering if the hardcover has a decent binding so the book won't fall apart fast! If it's worth it to buy the hardcover over the softcover.

Thanks!!

So far so good with the hardcover, I've read the beginning of the book up to the stitches, did the pattern corrections for 1 pattern and flipped thru to see pictures of the other patterns with no breakage of the binding yet.

I have not even opened the soft cover yet, afraid I'm going to break it and I'm considering taking the soft to a print shop and have it spiral bound that way I can flip open to the pattern I want without the book closing on me all the time or breaking the binding.

Page wise in the hardcover all are in correct order with no dupes or missing pages.

So far so good with the hardcover, I've read the beginning of the book up to the stitches, did the pattern corrections for 1 pattern and flipped thru to see pictures of the other patterns with no breakage of the binding yet.

I have not even opened the soft cover yet, afraid I'm going to break it and I'm considering taking the soft to a print shop and have it spiral bound that way I can flip open to the pattern I want without the book closing on me all the time or breaking the binding.

Page wise in the hardcover all are in correct order with no dupes or missing pages.

Thank you so much for the "review!" What a great idea about having the softcover put in spiral binding. That would make it really easy to use!! I think I now have to have this book. To add to my 35 other crochet books I have, don't you know. The designs coming out now are so cool I've been ordering books like mad!! :compute:spin:loco

Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I'd love to see a picture. I made my first one with red heart. :hug

Despite the typos on the YeeHaw hat, it turned out fantastic. I substituted RH in light fuschia and my daughter LOVES IT!!! I don't have pics yet, but it looks just like the photo!

Great job, Dot!

I just bought a copy yesterday (my reward to myself for my musical being finished!!!!) and I am SO excited! The patterns are so cute!!! I'm making the baroque cardigan first, I think, as long as I can manage to get some fingering weight yarn that's NOT baby colors. Yay!

Archived