2021 Stashbusting CAL

greyhoundgrandma

Pam...those are beautiful 🥰

Mona...I posted my stash collection on here because when I shared it on FB in a crochet group, the reaction I got was "oh that's nothing, I've got way more" but I knew this group would encourage me to stash bust, not buy more lol. I found stuff I'd completely forgotten I had....I somehow ended up accumulating 15 full skeins of the same brand & color, because I really like it and kept forgetting I already had some...so that's all now been pulled for my Unity 2021 CAL along with two lighter shades for the very center.

Hello everyone and Happy Valentine's Day 🥰

This week's scoreboard is....

GOLD owlvamp and Inkked0317 +18

SILVER pineknott +8

BRONZE greyhoundgrandma +4

howieann, Ellie 13 and PBLKNP all are busting some stash +2

SHOOT THE MOON MalisaMeesa -14

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inkked0317 said:

Pam...those are beautiful 🥰

Mona...I posted my stash collection on here because when I shared it on FB in a crochet group, the reaction I got was "oh that's nothing, I've got way more" but I knew this group would encourage me to stash bust, not buy more lol. I found stuff I'd completely forgotten I had....I somehow ended up accumulating 15 full skeins of the same brand & color, because I really like it and kept forgetting I already had some...so that's all now been pulled for my Unity 2021 CAL along with two lighter shades for the very center.

It's definitely a big advantage when you know what you have and can find it. LOL Not happening so much right now with my stash. I've tried to make a list of mine several times but never make it all the way thru it and then I forget to change the list when I use something. I don't know what the solution is. I'll just have to keep trying different approaches.  On another thread it was suggested to try to use the yarn you know you don't really like or won't use for a project and the stash left over from projects. That is what I'm going to try to concentrate on this year, I think.

I have project amounts of several yarns where I bought the yarn for a specific pattern and never made it. Later I come across it and that pattern just doesn't speak to me any more. So that stash needs to find another use.

I hope looking back at my pictures will help shame me into getting organized!

Good news is, if I go broke tomorrow and can't buy any more yarn, I'm still set for a long time. LOL

I have neglected to say thank you for posting the scores each week and getting us off to a good start....Thank you!!!!

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

Mona...my spreadsheet is my lifeline with this lol I jot notes at the bottom or along the edges of my print out when I pull from the stash or add back so I can update it as I go & then I redo the whole thing at least once a year. 

I'm very happy to help ☺ I've had the world drop out from under my feet too and this was one small thing I could do ♡

Donna,

hubby found the problem, it had been magnified to 125%, now its back down to 100 and I have all the symbols

sorry guys posted to the wrong thread, gosh I'm a danger to me on this pc

Edited by pineknott

I just got blessed with the best conversation!!! A friend of mine messaged me to say that her extremely creative & talented 12 year old daughter was interested in learning crochet and could I suggest specific hooks or yarns or aim them in the right direction....I told her I've got tons of stuff, don't buy anything! Grabbed 3 colors out of my stash, a handful of good hooks that I just don't use anymore,  a few darning needles,  a tape measure and then wrote up a word doc listing some good very beginner YouTube videos & good sites for well written patterns. All she'll need is a pair of scissors lol. I get to play fiber fairy godmother tomorrow and drop everything off for her and I'm so excited!!!! AND I took 7 skeins and a ball out of my stash!!!!

Hi all! I've been a busy hooker this week!

I used 3 balls to finish my Stardust Melodies blanket, I've used 3 balls on my Unity 2021 CAL, I've used 2 balls and a skein on my Sophie, and I used an entire Caron Anniversary Cake skein on a Flower Puddle Ripple baby blanket! Plus I gifted 7 full skeins and a ball to my friend's daughter.

Pictures are below. Completed Stardust and Flower Puddle. Sophie is complete through the end of part 9, and I've nearly finished part 2 of the Unity 2021 CAL. 

WTD +27

YTD +93

20210215_092331.jpg

20210219_202231.jpg

20210218_193624.jpg

20210220_214809.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owlvamp said:

greyhoundgrandma what I would give to shop in your closet. I love those cotton cones. I absolutely  love cotton yarn okay I love all yarn.

WTD +25 -6 = +19 YTD = +37

Sorry I'm late.

I haven't caught it lately, but that shelf is what happens when you buy cones every time you find them marked down for clearance at Walmart. After all you can never have too much cotton. LOL

SCORES!!!!!

Gold Medal Winner:  Inkked0317 +27

Silver Medal Winner:  OwlVamp +19

Bronze Medal Winner:  PBLKNP +2

Holding steady at 0: GreyhoundGrandma, and MalisaMeesa

No negative scores! I'll do scores again next week!

• Like 1

I don't get out much so no yarn shopping for me. With hubby recovering  we definitely  stay on a tight budget.  I love seeing others yarn stash. One cone I miss Walmart having is the white with the black specks through it. Have you tried the Sugar n cream Scrub off yarn? I had a few skeins and they are one of my favorites!

Edited by owlvamp

I haven't tried the scrub off yarn. Looked it up and it looks interesting. I have a couple of balls of the RH scrubby but haven't used it yet.

Another reason I end up with stash is that I'm totally paranoid about running out before I finish a project, so I always buy a little extra--just in case. I can't resist the really good sales either, like when Walmart had the Bernat cakes for $1.50 and $1. 

Sorry I haven't been here since the 12th. In the last 2  weeks, I made 2 more potholders, another teen sized hat, 2 baby hats and 8 shamrock door/wall hangings (4 large, 4 small). I rolled a skein down, used 2 skeins cotton, and 2 skeins regular :yarn  (+ 9) :cheer . I went to Michael's yesterday and they still don't have white cotton :angry . So I got 2 more skeins baby :yarn (- 4). If I make 5 (6) more baby hats I can use it up before Sat. night. I found a bag of small skeins of peach :yarn , so I'll make a doll or two next week. 

WTD: + 5   YTD: + 16

Ellie 13

Edited by Ellie 13

I finished the toddler sweater and rolled a skein into a ball. I've gotten back to working on the dahlia blanket which uses about 15 colors, so there'll be nothing to count on it for a long time. 

I committed my first transgression of the year. I ordered 10 skeins for sweaters for the GDs. It's a stripes yarn, just hope I like the length of the stripes for this pattern and don't have to find a different yarn.

WTD +1     YTD +17

Hi everyone! This week I used up a skein on a shawl for myself and I'm ssooooooo close to finishing my Sophie!!! In this week,  I've used up 4 skeins and 8 balls! I should finish it off tomorrow!

WTD +20

YTD +113

I've started a new project that I'm going to be using all my Caron Cakes with...it's called Wintery Octagon Mandala. I've got the first one completed but haven't used up any yarn on it yet...I'll be using the dark grey on all the pieces with the Cakes as the background. 

20210226_223048.jpg

20210222_213245.jpg

20210225_202842.jpg

• Like 1