Newest Version of Our House CAL!

judianne

With more places moving to bring your own bags totes that could substitute for plastic size grocery bags wouldn't be bad idea. The substitute bags they are selling are harder to clean than a cotton tote. They rip easier too.

Hi, peeps

On 1/7/2021 at 9:24 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Judy, your cowl is pretty--color and stitch pattern! Thank you...   I'm so happy that you've reached out❤️

I'm ready to get off the phone call merry-go-round, but there's still lots to do/change/take care of. Still remembering someone I should have notified. We are SO glad we just had a family only graveside service with just a handful of friends and minimal family. Older DS got home Monday and had an email that someone in his section at work had tested positive. He got up sick Tuesday morning and tested positive. So far says it just feels like a sinus infection and is on antibiotics/vitamins. So the younger DS and his family are quarantining. Luckily there were probably only two other people that he had any real contact with. Hopefully DS is already felling better...everyone seems to get it in such a different way! 

We live in a town of around 300. There are at least four households on my block with covid and they haven't even had contact with each other. It's really scary how it has just exploded in the last month. At least the vaccine is slowly becoming available here, although through March it's for specific groups that we don't qualify for. DH is in the next tier since he's 75... I will have to wait for the next group, even though I also have had heart issues....

On the lighter side, I bought some lottery tickets this week. On the occasions that we bought tickets, DH loved to dream about what all the things he would do with the money. As quirky as the last year has been, if I ever had any change of winning, it would be now. LOL

I'm itching to get back to crocheting, just have to get my brain to settle down and be able to concentrate on it. You'll get there...allow yourself to rest when you can, and just do what you want to do.

On 1/7/2021 at 9:27 PM, Gardener said:

I’m glad to hear from you Mona.  Anther online friend who recently lost her husband said the phone calls afterwards seemed never ending.  Hope your DS feels better soon and that no one else gets sick. We know a lot of people who have gotten it recently too. Several have been hospitalized but so far all have survived. 

I’ve never bought a lottery ticket, although I’ve been tempted by those huge jackpots. I never win anything ever though, so I’m pretty sure I haven’t missed a golden opportunity.

Judy, as usual, lovely baby blanket and cowl.Thank you!

One of my goals for this year ought to be to finish my bags full of UFOs.  I don’t seem to have a lot of interest in some of those old projects though, so I decided to work at decreasing my yarn stash instead.  So far I have knit 3 dishcloths and I have a fourth half done.  That will use up 2 skeins of cotton. I probably have 30 or 40 more plus at least one cone.  That’s a lot of dishcloths and potholders. I could make tote bags but I have a lot of single skeins.  I guess the yarn might work for a sunhat.   And then there are the 100s of skeins of other yarns. And this is after I donated a garbage bag full.  I had better stay out of craft stores......Oh, my! I think you need to start a crocheting and knitting circle once everyone can get together again...and share your stash! 🤣

In addition to my other projects I'm now using up all the funky odds and ends of yarn i have to make cat blankets...my son's girlfriend is in charge of cat adoptions at the county SPCA....lol.

Stay well, my friends....

DS and DIL are starting to feel better--both with fairly mild symptoms. Younger DS and family don't have any symptoms so far--fingers crossed that they don't. Although in one way it's almost a relief to have had the virus and hopefully have immunity now.

I had a fairly productive morning--nothing major, but some of the regular stuff that needed to be done. Clothes washed in case the rain/snow predicted Monday turns into ice and power outages. I'm ready for the sunshine that won't be here until Tuesday. 

I got a crochet project out yesterday but after ripping out round 4 the second time I put it aside. Intended to try it again today, but didn't get there, maybe tomorrow.

No luck with the lottery tickets. LOL

• Like 1

Mona glad to hear DS and DIL are feeling better.  Looks like a wet snow just right for making a snowman.  I havent made one for many years now as I was too tired by the time I got thru shoveling out.

Put away Christmas tree this morning.  I only managed to put one decoration on it this year but we enjoyed the lights.  It was great only having to carry it back to the garage instead of out the front door up the hill, into the attic, (and cracking your head into a rafter.)  Took the decorations off the outside tree Sat. and put them away.  That leaves the ceramic trees and door wreaths but not really in a hurry to put them away.

Edited by bgs

Mona: The photo turned out beautiful. Thanks for sharing that.  I too am happy when our snow melts the next day. Although, Winter 2018 was a huge surprise when the snow stayed for a week.

Brenda: You've been busy! You keep the wreaths up as long as you like. My next door neighbor takes her time changing out her outside decorations. It's nice to see the "cheer" stay up for awhile and she decorates for every season/holiday and has a wreath on her door all year depending on the month/holiday/season. Halloween and Christmas are obviously her favorites.

Edited by ReniC

Hi, Ladies!

Just saying hello...

I have a commission:  Winnie the Pooh baby blanket...

Edited by judianne

Hi ladies. Nothing much going on here. I’m working on reducing my yarn stash. So far this year I have knit 5 dishcloths, crocheted a double thick potholder and finished a pair of fingerless gloves. Sadly, this did not make a noticeable dent in my stash.  

16 hours ago, Gardener said:

Hi ladies. Nothing much going on here. I’m working on reducing my yarn stash. So far this year I have knit 5 dishcloths, crocheted a double thick potholder and finished a pair of fingerless gloves. Sadly, this did not make a noticeable dent in my stash.  

Good for you. 

I keep adding but I am targeting old stuff trying to make it go away.  The key for me is targeting the stuff I am not likely to buy again as that is what truly decreases my stash.  I know the yarn I use regularly on projects will be replaced as soon as I finish it off or if no longer available I look for a substitute.  It's nice to know I'm actually using what I buy, but if I want to kill the stash I need to use up the yarns that are left over from other projects or bought with good intentions but never used.

3 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

Good for you. 

I keep adding but I am targeting old stuff trying to make it go away.  The key for me is targeting the stuff I am not likely to buy again as that is what truly decreases my stash.  I know the yarn I use regularly on projects will be replaced as soon as I finish it off or if no longer available I look for a substitute.  It's nice to know I'm actually using what I buy, but if I want to kill the stash I need to use up the yarns that are left over from other projects or bought with good intentions but never used.

I need to work on your criteria of what to use up. 

I really hate when I find a pattern I intend to make, get the yarn, and then a year+ later I look at it and wonder why I thought I would really ever get that done.

I wasted a trip to make a blood donation today. My pulse rate was a little too high and she got the ok to override that. Then my iron level was a little too low. 

The girl grands slept over last night after I made the trip to Oxford to take John's leftover chemo pills to the oncologist along with several other errands. So a long day.

I had an overdue eye exam Tuesday and got glasses ordered. Met with the attorney to get the estate opened on Wednesday.

Seems like I've been spinning my wheels, but I really have gotten some things accomplished.

I think the rest of the afternoon needs to be dedicated to crocheting.

• Like 1

Chris you were spot on in reducing my stash by using up the stuff I wouldnt replace.

Mona sounds like you accomplished a lot.  Hope you got your crochet time in.

Sis has been on iv antibiotics, then oral followed by another scan.  Its taking awhile but she's getting there.  Our aunt is on hospice.  Its hard not going because of covid.  Cant let our guard down now--- my first vaccine is scheduled for Wed if everything checks out ok.  The Village set it up and assigned the date and time no changes allowed.

• Like 1

Hi peeps!

On 1/21/2021 at 9:02 PM, Gardener said:

I know the feeling...that's why I like to make blankets....uses up more yarn...lol.  Right now i sort of have an assembly line of projects going...Winnie the Pooh, another christening blanket, blanket for my engaged goddaughter, assemble the blue scrap blanket, ....and I found a lot of baby blankets I just kept...Hubby thinks they're too pretty and that I should save them for gifts. The only problem with that is the newer baby making generation always has themed nurseries and none of mine seem to be the ticket.

I think they need to go the NICU.

18 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I need to work on your criteria of what to use up. 

I really hate when I find a pattern I intend to make, get the yarn, and then a year+ later I look at it and wonder why I thought I would really ever get that done.

I wasted a trip to make a blood donation today. My pulse rate was a little too high and she got the ok to override that. Then my iron level was a little too low. That's disappointing! But at least you know you should get the iron issue addressed. I have O neg but IV needles and me...well...hubby would rather not have to catch me before I hit the floor....

The girl grands slept over last night after I made the trip to Oxford to take John's leftover chemo pills to the oncologist along with several other errands. So a long day.You must have loved seeing them...and they, you❤️

I had an overdue eye exam Tuesday and got glasses ordered. Met with the attorney to get the estate opened on Wednesday.

Seems like I've been spinning my wheels, but I really have gotten some things accomplished.

I think the rest of the afternoon needs to be dedicated to crocheting.

This is a crazy time...without all that you've gone though💕

15 hours ago, bgs said:

Chris you were spot on in reducing my stash by using up the stuff I wouldnt replace.

Mona sounds like you accomplished a lot.  Hope you got your crochet time in.

Sis has been on iv antibiotics, then oral followed by another scan.  Its taking awhile but she's getting there.  Our aunt is on hospice.  Its hard not going because of covid.  Cant let our guard down now--- my first vaccine is scheduled for Wed if everything checks out ok.  The Village set it up and assigned the date and time no changes allowed.

NJ is no where near being ready to inoculate we seniors. I saw a huge, hours long line, in one of the inner cities up north of us for inoculations where first come first serve...there has to be a better way! A lot of these people have no computers...the entire situation here is ...as one news person said on TV...a mess.

Hi peeps 

Not sure if I shared this picture of an oversized throw i made at least a few years ago...it's been hanging around because I never found a home for it.

Well, my good friend told me of a very very sad situation ....no details I can share, other than a 3 yo girl is going to permanently live with her grandparents. I shared this pic and asked my friend if she thought it was something that would be good to gi e her. So, I'm addi g her name and a ❤ to it and hopefully it will bring  some comfort.

20210122_210816.jpg

• Like 2

Cute blanket, Judy! I'm sure she'll love it. How great that you had it just waiting to be needed.

I guess I need to start thinking about a blanket pattern for both of the grandsons, especially Jay. Max has the three I made when he was born, and then the cars one later while Jay just has the one from last year. The girls have so many and use then in their playing. Although it may be that blankets just aren't really on the radar of boys in general as something they want many of. LOL It seems like not wanting to do graphs or appliques or lots of blocks to join really limits boy patterns.

It's been a fairly productive week. Some paperwork taken care of; death certificates came in but need corrections, so another wait; not unexpected especially with it being done over the phone. Cats to the vet, both overdue on their shots and one with an upper respiratory infection. That one got boarded; she's hard enough to locate twice a day and it's even worse after you start poking medicine down her throat. We have garbage pick-up twice a week, so I'm trying to make sure the can is full every time. That's one of today's projects. As much stuff, magazines, etc (his and mine) that we have accumulated in the house and in the basement, it's not really hard to do that. We've been targeting the many things take quit working, but got put aside because they might could be fixed or you might use parts off them. After a few years storing them and not getting around to working on them which was likely hopeless anyway, I think it's safe to toss it. LOL

Younger DS came up with a good solution to using up propane to heat the large shop just to give the cats a little bit of warm when it's coldest. I've ordered a storm door with a pet door to go on the pool house kitchen doorway. We already have heat on for the plumbing there and it only takes a small heater to do that. It was fairly expensive but will pay for itself pretty quickly. The two cats don't really get along and might not like being there at the same time, but one is working on making herself a house cat anyway.

We've been alternating between cold with some sun and warmer and rainy. I'm just glad there's some sun mixed in. I've made good progress on the blanket that's a mid February birthday present. Also need to make a toddler sweater for February--simple pattern.  Then it's a blanket for a May birthday.

Ok, off to make some breakfast, get showered and get the day started. 

Hope everyone is well and having a good week!

Mona seems like getting paperwork done correctly on the first time is pretty near impossible anymore.  Sounds like you have several crochet projects in mind.  Good idea on keeping the kitties warm.  Just remember other critters might like it too.  A opossum decided it liked one of the card board box shelters filled with straw that we put in the shed for the neighborhood cats.

Woke up yesterday morning to the sound of guys scraping the drive and sidewalk or as dh says we woke up to him not shoveling snow.  He is really liking when people say things like gotta mow the yard that he's got a guy for that.   We got our primer shots yesterday.  They picked us up and brought us back.  

I had several things waiting for the ends to be worked in so have been catching up there-----60 mini stockings, doll blanket, and a shawl.  

• Like 1

Hi peeps

On 1/27/2021 at 1:11 PM, bgs said:

Judy I love the blanket.  Sounds like maybe you were supposed to hold on to it to give to this girl now.  

Thanks!  And yes, that's exactly what I thought also...my friend will give it to the girl's grandfather next week. He has been off from work for a few days, as you can imagine.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:53 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Cute blanket, Judy! I'm sure she'll love it. How great that you had it just waiting to be needed. 

MEANT TO BE, FOR SURE.

I guess I need to start thinking about a blanket pattern for both of the grandsons, especially Jay. Max has the three I made when he was born, and then the cars one later while Jay just has the one from last year. The girls have so many and use then in their playing. Although it may be that blankets just aren't really on the radar of boys in general as something they want many of. LOL It seems like not wanting to do graphs or appliques or lots of blocks to join really limits boy patterns.

WHAT ABOUT MAKING A GIANT GRANNY SQUARE FOR YOUR GRANDSON? THERE ARE MINIMAL ENDS AND THE COLOR SEQUENCE CAN BE FUN. OR A ROUND RIPPLE...

It's been a fairly productive week. Some paperwork taken care of; death certificates came in but need corrections, so another wait; not unexpected especially with it being done over the phone. Cats to the vet, both overdue on their shots and one with an upper respiratory infection. That one got boarded; she's hard enough to locate twice a day and it's even worse after you start poking medicine down her throat. We have garbage pick-up twice a week, so I'm trying to make sure the can is full every time. That's one of today's projects. As much stuff, magazines, etc (his and mine) that we have accumulated in the house and in the basement, it's not really hard to do that. We've been targeting the many things take quit working, but got put aside because they might could be fixed or you might use parts off them. After a few years storing them and not getting around to working on them which was likely hopeless anyway, I think it's safe to toss it. LOL

WE ARE AT THAT POINT TOO, WITH TOSSING THINGS THAT WE DON'T NEED TO KEEP.

Younger DS came up with a good solution to using up propane to heat the large shop just to give the cats a little bit of warm when it's coldest. I've ordered a storm door with a pet door to go on the pool house kitchen doorway. We already have heat on for the plumbing there and it only takes a small heater to do that. It was fairly expensive but will pay for itself pretty quickly. The two cats don't really get along and might not like being there at the same time, but one is working on making herself a house cat anyway.

We've been alternating between cold with some sun and warmer and rainy. I'm just glad there's some sun mixed in. I've made good progress on the blanket that's a mid February birthday present. Also need to make a toddler sweater for February--simple pattern.  Then it's a blanket for a May birthday.

Ok, off to make some breakfast, get showered and get the day started. 

Hope everyone is well and having a good week!

Well, the white puffy snowflakes have started - hours earlier than predicted. We went out for a few things this AM, so we don't have to even concern ourselves with going out for the week if we don't want to. Depends who you check, but we could get a foot ...or more. Lucy and I will be out there enjoying it - as long as the wind isn't horrible. We can do without 50 MPH winds.

Take care, my friends.

2 pics ...this morning and one late this afternoon. Must be well over a foot. A wonderful neighbor took care of our property with his snowblower...we were so surprised. Still expecting more snow...maybe only rain if we're lucky...before it ends tomorrow afternoon. Not sure why the 1pic is coming in upside down.

20210201_071048.jpg

20210201_153042.jpg

1 hour ago, judianne said:

2 pics ...this morning and one late this afternoon. Must be well over a foot. A wonderful neighbor took care of our property with his snowblower...we were so surprised. Still expecting more snow...maybe only rain if we're lucky...before it ends tomorrow afternoon. Not sure why the 1pic is coming in upside down.

20210201_071048.jpg

20210201_153042.jpg

My cousin, who lives in Pompton Plains, NJ, just said that they had gotten 2 feet and it is still coming down. 

On 2/1/2021 at 3:53 PM, judianne said:

Wow! That's what my backyard looked like last year. Not much snow here this year. It was all melted the next day. No shoveling this time around- Yay!     Stay warm and safe.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 7:41 PM, Gardener said:

My cousin, who lives in Pompton Plains, NJ, just said that they had gotten 2 feet and it is still coming down. 

Not sure, but I think they're northwest of us. We ended up with about 2 feet and our power stayed on.  We had about 4 feet plowed up against our driveway but a neighbor came over on his own, 2 days running, with his snowblower.  Never happened before....I th ink these times h

ave made people more aware of their neighbors. 

We could be seeing another storm into Sunday morning...or not.

The backyard is still very hard to navigate, even for Lucy. Crashing through the snow as she walks through it isn't fun at all.

Been crocheting of course...and reading.

Stay well, everyone 

19 hours ago, judianne said:

.............We could be seeing another storm into Sunday morning...or not.

The backyard is still very hard to navigate, even for Lucy. Crashing through the snow as she walks through it isn't fun at all.

Been crocheting of course...and reading.

Stay well, everyone 

I just saw that your Gov. declared a state of emergency for a Nor-easter. I hope it's not bad as predicted. Stay safe and warm. :wcold

• Like 1