Newest Version of Our House CAL!

judianne

Why does it seem like if you have a poor night's sleep, it's going to be the night before you have to drive and go somewhere? LOL

I managed to weave in all the ends on the scarves for Operation Gratitude yesterday. Luckily I had already done some of the early ones. I have about half of #14 to finish crocheting and I'll get them in the mail next week.

The yard's mowed and it's going to be in the 70's until middle of next week, so maybe I can start on some of the yard work this weekend.

• Like 1

Hi ladies. Cold and rainy here this week.  My back and joints are complaining. Despite that I have walked for 5 hours over the past ten days.  Dh walks every day, but I only go with him 3 times a week.  I actually find it quite enjoyable. We go as soon as we get up, which probably helps with sticking to it.  We are lucky that we have a paved path through the woods very nearby. 

Nothing much going on here. I still haven’t sewn those booties together.  I’m almost done knitting a pair of adult slippers. Of course, those will need to be sewn together as well since I am too uncoordinated to knit in the round. Sigh.  

I’m still feeling quite unmotivated and I think it’s all this staying at home.  It’s not that I never get out, but it sure isn’t the same as it was 6 or 8 months ago.

hope you are all doing well.

Hi peeps! 

I'm finally playing with some bright Cake yarn I was gifted a while back....making a shawl and maybe a wrap for me. Winter isn't far away! I already finished a big wrap using Moon Magic Lion Brand cakes I bought. It's a December gift for a long time friend - we both have birthdays in December. I'll have to get a picture...

On 9/29/2020 at 1:32 AM, bgs said:

Weekend started off hot (90's).  Sun the sun never broke thru.  It was dark all day and then we had several downpours.  Today the wind felt a bit chilly.  I have been getting my Halloween stuff out. 

These were picked up today.

Beautiful shawls!! TY for th links - I saved them.

16 hours ago, Gardener said:

Hi ladies. Cold and rainy here this week.  My back and joints are complaining. Mine doesn't wait for the weather....😜 Despite that I have walked for 5 hours over the past ten days.  Dh walks every day, but I only go with him 3 times a week.  I actually find it quite enjoyable. We go as soon as we get up, which probably helps with sticking to it.  We are lucky that we have a paved path through the woods very nearby. I need to get moving so I can go with Hubby - ever since I had that tripping incident when I walked alone he's afraid it might happen again. 

Nothing much going on here. I still haven’t sewn those booties together.  I’m almost done knitting a pair of adult slippers. Of course, those will need to be sewn together as well since I am too uncoordinated to knit in the round. Sigh.  Maybe if you have 2 to sew it'll give you more of an incentive - you'll have 2 FO's!

I’m still feeling quite unmotivated and I think it’s all this staying at home.  It’s not that I never get out, but it sure isn’t the same as it was 6 or 8 months ago.You have to still get passed the old routine you were so totally immersed in...It will take time to rev up an interest in something  that can fill that void. Maybe thinking outside the box?

hope you are all doing well.

I love the shawl, Judy! Such pretty colors.

Another busy week here. DIL's apt got changed from Tues to Thurs, so I have the grands all day tomorrow. DH had his ortho apt today and then it's back to Oxford on Friday. He's making slow progress with the knee. He has PT orders now but at least they are in home.

Depending on which forecast is right Hurricane Delta will either come right over us or just to the east of us as a storm or a depression. Maybe 4-6" of rain and hopefully the wind stays below 40. I just stacked and stowed chairs etc at the pool and filled the cat food/water in the shops so the cats are taken care of if they hunker down in the shop.

We were back to the mid 80's today but the humidity is low so it's pleasant.

Hope everyone is well and having a good week!

• Like 1

We got a little over 2 1/2" of rain, so not bad at all and some wind but nothing bad there either. The grands just left. DIL had a meeting so I watched them for an hour and a half which is about the limit before getting to the I'm tired stage. LOL

Home health comes tomorrow morning to get in home physical therapy set up for DH. Tuesday is chemo. I have all four grands Wednesday afternoon and then just two of them Thursday afternoon. So I guess it's another busy week.

I got around to weaving in the ends on the last lap throw this afternoon. I need to check the box upstairs and see if I have any others up there besides the three downstairs and get them to the nursing home.

Off to prep supper while DH is visiting with a friend out in the shop.

• Like 1

Mona we could use some rain.  This year July and Aug were wetter than usual but Sept and so far Oct are getting close to record dry.  :cheerfor dh's pt.  Hope you two will be racing each other soon.  

Been trying to get our bonsai ready for winter.  I got out my Halloween decorations.  Had to move several heavy boxes to get to them.  We have been watching Halloween movies.  Sis has been having tests to see if her ostomy can be reversed which led to a biopsy on Fri.  Not feeling terribly motivated to crochet or do much of anything.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bgs said:

Mona we could use some rain.  This year July and Aug were wetter than usual but Sept and so far Oct are getting close to record dry.  :cheerfor dh's pt.  Hope you two will be racing each other soon.  

Been trying to get our bonsai ready for winter.  I got out my Halloween decorations.  Had to move several heavy boxes to get to them.  We have been watching Halloween movies.  Sis has been having tests to see if her ostomy can be reversed which led to a biopsy on Fri.  Not feeling terribly motivated to crochet or do much of anything.

I hope she gets good news on the biopsy and the reversal!

No trick or treating here this year. Not banned but strongly discouraged by all the local towns. The grands are coming by and I'll have bags for them but that's all.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:21 AM, judianne said:

Hi peeps. Well...29 inches by 33 and my baby blanket I made to add to the pile is finished. 

20200924_120816.jpg

20200924_121054.jpg

Very nice blanket! :).  is there a link to that pattern?

Thanks

Krys

13 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

Very nice blanket! :).  is there a link to that pattern?

Thanks

Krys

Ty. It's called Cosy Stripe and is a free pattern on Attic24.

• Thanks 1

Hi ladies. It’s definitely fall here. Actually saw some snowflakes on Friday!  

I am almost done with a 3rd pair of slippers. After this one Inguess I will sew them together. 🙄

Judy, your blanket and shawl are lovely. You get so many things done.

Brenda, fingers crossed that your sister can have the ostomy reversed. 

Mona, sounds like hubby is making progress, Maybe not quickly but any progress is good. 

I ordered takeout for dinner from a local restaurant. They just started a family meal special on Mondays and Wednesday’s. $30 with tax and tip, for a meal that feeds 4-6. Monday’s special is smoked chicken.  Next week we are trying Wednesday’s special which is meatloaf.  I think we should get two meals out of each order, although I guess that depends on how much Dh likes it!  

Cindy, that sounds like a good deal, especially if you get two meals out of it. It's always nice to eat someone else's cooking.

It's warm again here this week--mid 80's. I'm trying to talk myself into mowing the yard this afternoon. We'll see how that goes. LOL

DH has a different physical therapist this time. She mentioned they had 20 new patients. I don't like that she only stays 15-20 minutes where before it was 30-45. Dr apt tomorrow, PT Thursday, dr apt Friday. 

We joined DS and his family Saturday for hot dogs around a fire in his yard. Nice to be outside at least before the mosquitoes showed up. I had a fun time Sunday. 5 hours of girl talk, crochet time, and lunch with a neighbor and two other ladies. 

Hi peeps.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:33 PM, Gardener said:

Hi ladies. It’s definitely fall here. Actually saw some snowflakes on Friday!  Lucy loves snow! We got very little of it last year....she always gets after me to go outside with her, and like any kid, hates coming inside!

I am almost done with a 3rd pair of slippers. After this one Inguess I will sew them together. 🙄Are they finished yet??

Judy, your blanket and shawl are lovely. You get so many things done. Thank you! I am still into small projects, so more pics to come😉

Brenda, fingers crossed that your sister can have the ostomy reversed. 

Mona, sounds like hubby is making progress, Maybe not quickly but any progress is good. 

I ordered takeout for dinner from a local restaurant. They just started a family meal special on Mondays and Wednesday’s. $30 with tax and tip, for a meal that feeds 4-6. Monday’s special is smoked chicken.  Next week we are trying Wednesday’s special which is meatloaf.  I think we should get two meals out of each order, although I guess that depends on how much Dh likes it!  That sounds like a great deal! Sometimes I get 2 days off from cooking, which is nice. 

23 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Cindy, that sounds like a good deal, especially if you get two meals out of it. It's always nice to eat someone else's cooking.

It's warm again here this week--mid 80's. I'm trying to talk myself into mowing the yard this afternoon. We'll see how that goes. LOL  Our weather has been pretty humid - and temps around 70ish. Not at all what I like....

DH has a different physical therapist this time. She mentioned they had 20 new patients. I don't like that she only stays 15-20 minutes where before it was 30-45. Sorry to hear about the curtailed therapy time! DS is a chiro and he always gives patients at leas 45 minutes. I hope it still helps your hubby. Does he do exercises on his own?  Dr apt tomorrow, PT Thursday, dr apt Friday. 

We joined DS and his family Saturday for hot dogs around a fire in his yard. Nice to be outside at least before the mosquitoes showed up. I had a fun time Sunday. 5 hours of girl talk, crochet time, and lunch with a neighbor and two other ladies. That sounds so nice! We still only see a couple of people....just not comfortable even thinking about bigger groups - the food store doesn't count🤣

I forgot - I do have a couple of other completed small projects - have to post the pics soon.

Stay well, my friends.

Edited by judianne

Here are my latest...

fingerless mitts for my goddaughter - she says she has enough blankets🤣

And a shawl made using 2 yarn cakes I was gifted many months ago - i tried a couple of patterns for it, including one that was sent along with the yarn but it seemed to need a lighter look....so I went searching. This will likely stay with me - unless someone claims it...lol!

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello ladies. Finally sunny here after a week of cloudy, gloomy weather. I got rained on twice on my morning walk. The first time it poured, but it was 65 outside and the rain was warm.  (I had a raincoat on too). Yesterday it was cold, but it was only a light rain and I was wearing winter stuff.  Both times I was more than a mile from the car.  

We got our flu shots finally. We made curbside appointments and I must say it was kind of nice not to get out of the car.  Plus it was fast. 

I have not finished that last slipper yet, although I’m close.  However, I have nearly finished a purse for my 2 year old grand daughter. I just need to figure out a handle for it, and line it.  No pattern, so I need to work something out myself.  I’m thinking that I might crochet a strip of double crochet and thread ribbon through it so that it won’t stretch. I’ll see what that looks like anyhow,  I think that I will save it for a Christmas gift.  I plan to make one for my 6 year old grand daughter as well.  I already sewed a colorful stuffed cat for the 6 month old.  

Judy, I am constantly amazed at how many projects you get finished!  They all look so nice.  Your fingerless gloves remind me that I need a new pair.  My hands are always cold, so I wear them to read and crochet.  It’s amazing how much they help.  It’s impressive how nicely those cakes made stripes, and I have gotten tired of making scarves or shawls and converted them into cowls more than once!  I like cowls for winter warmth. They stay in place and are often less bulky than scarves.

Mona, I hope your hubby is making progress, despite the shortened physical therapy visits.  

Judy, you've been really busy! I especially like the colorful shawl, but also the calm colors in the cowl. I need to make DH a pair of fingerless gloves; his hands are frequently cold.

Cindy, glad you've gotten some sun! Yes, DH is making progress, just slower than he would like. If we ever get past going to dr apts every week, sometimes twice a week, maybe I won't feel like I'm so tired all the time. So many days I just feel like my brain is fried.

We're back to rain here. Zeta is sending moisture our way. I need to mow the yard one last time but didn't get to it before the rain.

It doesn't seem like I've accomplished much this week. I did get the four little scarves finished, except for weaving ends, for the GSs, but I need to get started on Madeline's cat. And I've decided that my best friend's afghan is probably going to be a birthday present instead of Christmas--just not going to rush/worry about it.

I can't believe how close it is to Christmas. I'm so not ready for it. We usually have an open house on Christmas Eve (there is a fireworks show on the bayou). The fireworks are still on, but I'm sure DH is going to have a kitten when I tell him the open house is not a good idea this year. There's just no way to socially distance and we always end up with friends of friends that we don't even know in the group. I guess I'll have to remind him that I ended up with the flu a couple of years ago right after Christmas and probably caught from someone Christmas Eve.

Judy its great seeing all your projects.  You are accomplishing a lot.  I hope you get to keep the shawl for yourself but is is so pretty I can see someone talking you out of it

Cindy glad to hear your opinion on cowls.  I have never made or worn one so not sure if I would like one and my sister has not requested one.  I often wind up making things because she or my niece request it.  I do get annoyed with scarves.  As it turns out my favorite scarf is a fleece freebie.  

Mona your Christmas eve open house sounds like fun but not worth risk this year. 

I cant see my family getting together this year.  Covid numbers made a huge jump past couple of weeks.  The Village care center all of a sudden has a lot of resident and employee cases along with 6 resident deaths.  More and more employees in various departments across the Village have it.  What I am going to miss the most is going out with my sis and niece Fri after Thanksgiving as we have done it for over 25 years.  We shopped some but mostly just had a good time looking at specialty shops, decorations, listening to live music, and eating at Crown Center.  We used to take my niece there to see Santa.  We would also visit Union Station, and Hallmark Visitor Center we picked up barbeque for supper.   While dh looked forward to Thanksgiving meal I looked forward to Rosedale barbeque Fri.   Not that sis would feel like going out  anyway as she is scheduled for surgery to reverse her ostomy Nov 4th.  They said estimated hospital stay 3 to 10 days depending on how they do the surgery and barring the many possible complications. 

It snowed here all day Mon leaving the ground white but melted Tues in the rain.  

I just got a pleasant surprise from Mary Maxim. I had an email yesterday and was looking--found a coloring book I thought the oldest GD would like, half-price. Then, of course, the shipping cancelled out the savings. Looked on amazon, full price, but no shipping. Didn't do anything on either shopping cart. Today I got an email from MM with a coupon for free shipping. How great is that!!

We're having some great weather, cool and sunny, cold at night. Frost warning tonight. We're going to grill hotdogs with the grands late this afternoon when they come over to get their candy bags. They have three prearranged trick or treat stops to make.

• Like 1

Hi ladies. I have three (out of 6) slippers sewn together. The pattern is called pocketbook slippers. It’s a knit pattern.  Don’t they look odd?  When you put them on they are a super stretchy slipper with a strap across the instep. They will be nice for traveling.  I was hoping the little purple ones would work for my 7 mo old grand daughter, but the amount of stretch that they have makes them too big.  They would easily fit a two year old.  Just three more to sew together....my least favorite part of a project.....

Mona....isn’t it great when something like that happens?

Covid cases are really increasing here, so we are staying away from places where people congregate.  Our Dd, the nurse practitioner said that they were advised to not go anywhere where people gather.  Apparently the hospital she is associated with, and where I used to work, has more than twice as many Covid patients as they had at the height of things back in the spring, and they expect that number to continue to increase.  We are planning to go to Tennessee in a couple of weeks  we can easily social distance there  we usually spend the majority of our time in the National park anyhow.  We will just eat in the condo rather than going out.

oh, almost forgot...we had snow yesterday.  It’s mostly melted now, at least where the sun hits it.  It’s supposed to warm up to the 50s for the rest of the week so it will all be gone soon.

image.jpg

Here is the start of a purse I am making for my two year old grand daughter.  She loves pink and she also loves to be like mommy.  I’m going to line it, add a strap, and put a fabric bow or flower on the flap.

image.jpg

Edited by Gardener

On 10/28/2020 at 2:43 PM, Gardener said:

Hello ladies. Finally sunny here after a week of cloudy, gloomy weather. I got rained on twice on my morning walk. The first time it poured, but it was 65 outside and the rain was warm.  (I had a raincoat on too). Yesterday it was cold, but it was only a light rain and I was wearing winter stuff.  Both times I was more than a mile from the car.  
That really is always how it happens!

We got our flu shots finally. We made curbside appointments and I must say it was kind of nice not to get out of the car.  Plus it was fast. We got ours over 2 weeks ago...went into our doctors for it. their office makes us comfortable with how they are handling everything.

I have not finished that last slipper yet, although I’m close.  However, I have nearly finished a purse for my 2 year old grand daughter. I just need to figure out a handle for it, and line it.  No pattern, so I need to work something out myself.  I’m thinking that I might crochet a strip of double crochet and thread ribbon through it so that it won’t stretch. I’ll see what that looks like anyhow,  I think that I will save it for a Christmas gift.  I plan to make one for my 6 year old grand daughter as well.  I already sewed a colorful stuffed cat for the 6 month old.  Those gifts will be so very much loved!

Judy, I am constantly amazed at how many projects you get finished!  Especially at this time of the year there isn't much going on - and with the virus numbers again going up here in NJ we really don't have much going on. At least crocheting keeps me sane! I've started making Christmas and Hannukah themed beanies for the NICU. Of course I wash them before I give them to my neighbor. Under normal circumstances she doesn't even ask me to do that since she knows I'm careful - but I want to be careful.  They all look so nice.  Thank you! Your fingerless gloves remind me that I need a new pair. There are so many easy patterns out there! Do you have a favorite one? My hands are always cold, so I wear them to read and crochet. I mailed a pair to my 97 yo friend whoalso has cold hands - she says she can also play her keyboard wearing them in addition to crocheting.  It’s amazing how much they help.  It’s impressive how nicely those cakes made stripes, and I have gotten tired of making scarves or shawls and converted them into cowls more than once!  I like cowls for winter warmth. They stay in place and are often less bulky than scarves.

Mona, I hope your hubby is making progress, despite the shortened physical therapy visits.  

On 10/28/2020 at 6:00 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Judy, you've been really busy! I especially like the colorful shawl, but also the calm colors in the cowl.   Thanks! I need to make DH a pair of fingerless gloves; his hands are frequently cold. Do you use a pattern or just wing it?

Cindy, glad you've gotten some sun! Yes, DH is making progress, just slower than he would like. If we ever get past going to dr apts every week, sometimes twice a week, maybe I won't feel like I'm so tired all the time. So many days I just feel like my brain is fried. Hugs💕

It doesn't seem like I've accomplished much this week. I did get the four little scarves finished, except for weaving ends, for the GSs, but I need to get started on Madeline's cat. And I've decided that my best friend's afghan is probably going to be a birthday present instead of Christmas--just not going to rush/worry about it. That's a very good idea.

I can't believe how close it is to Christmas. I'm so not ready for it. We usually have an open house on Christmas Eve (there is a fireworks show on the bayou). The fireworks are still on, but I'm sure DH is going to have a kitten when I tell him the open house is not a good idea this year. There's just no way to socially distance and we always end up with friends of friends that we don't even know in the group. I guess I'll have to remind him that I ended up with the flu a couple of years ago right after Christmas and probably caught from someone Christmas Eve. You have to do what works for you! We are being very careful.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:16 PM, bgs said:

Judy its great seeing all your projects.  You are accomplishing a lot.  I hope you get to keep the shawl for yourself but is is so pretty I can see someone talking you out of it So far i haven't had any requests for the shawl - but I'm open if someone places dibs. I posted it on my instagram page 

I cant see my family getting together this year.  Covid numbers made a huge jump past couple of weeks.  NJ has shown bigger increases in numbers also. We're trying to be careful as best we can.The Village care center all of a sudden has a lot of resident and employee cases along with 6 resident deaths.  More and more employees in various departments across the Village have it.  What I am going to miss the most is going out with my sis and niece Fri after Thanksgiving as we have done it for over 25 years.  We shopped some but mostly just had a good time looking at specialty shops, decorations, listening to live music, and eating at Crown Center.  We used to take my niece there to see Santa.  We would also visit Union Station, and Hallmark Visitor Center we picked up barbeque for supper.   While dh looked forward to Thanksgiving meal I looked forward to Rosedale barbeque Fri.   Not that sis would feel like going out  anyway as she is scheduled for surgery to reverse her ostomy Nov 4th.  They said estimated hospital stay 3 to 10 days depending on how they do the surgery and barring the many possible complications. I hope all goes well for your sister!

It snowed here all day Mon leaving the ground white but melted Tues in the rain.  Lucy and I are waiting for snow! We did have a bitter cold front a couple of days ago and she and I both had smoky breath when we played around in the yard. She jumps and runs...like me she loves cold weather. with the heat on in the house i often end up wearing lightweight tights and tank tops in the house!. At almost 72 maybe I'm having a second menopause🤣 

14 minutes ago, Gardener said:

Hi ladies. I have three (out of 6) slippers sewn together. The pattern is called pocketbook slippers. It’s a knit pattern.  Don’t they look odd? Yay! That really is an unusual looking pattern for slippers! When you put them on they are a super stretchy slipper with a strap across the instep. They will be nice for traveling.  I was hoping the little purple ones would work for my 7 mo old grand daughter, but the amount of stretch that they have makes them too big.  They would easily fit a two year old.  Just three more to sew together....my least favorite part of a project.....

Mona....isn’t it great when something like that happens?

Covid cases are really increasing here, so we are staying away from places where people congregate.  Our Dd, the nurse practitioner said that they were advised to not go anywhere where people gather.  Apparently the hospital she is associated with, and where I used to work, has more than twice as many Covid patients as they had at the height of things back in the spring, and they expect that number to continue to increase.  Oh, that does sound bad! We are planning to go to Tennessee in a couple of weeks  we can easily social distance there  we usually spend the majority of our time in the National park anyhow.  We will just eat in the condo rather than going out. We ordered out instead of going to one of our favorite places to eat this past Saturday. The uptick in numbers is making us edgy. 

oh, almost forgot...we had snow yesterday.  It’s mostly melted now, at least where the sun hits it.The sun has been strong here, too.    It’s supposed to warm up to the 50s for the rest of the week so it will all be gone soon.

image.jpg

10 minutes ago, Gardener said:

Here is the start of a purse I am making for my two year old grand daughter.  She loves pink and she also loves to be like mommy.  I’m going to line it, add a strap, and put a fabric bow or flower on the flap.

image.jpg

So sweet!!!!

Cindy, if I had seen just the picture, I would have never guessed those are slippers! Definitely an unusual pattern! Cute purse, too!

Judy, I've never made any gloves before. I've printed out this pattern to try: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/50-minute-fingerless-gloves

I just finished with the 5 phone calls I had to make, put a load of clothes in the washer and I think I'm going to try to crochet for a few minutes at least.