Newest Version of Our House CAL!

judianne

A 28 inch square christening blanket....the ministry is starting again in January 

Used Sweet Pea Trellis pattern from Attic24.  Made up the border. It really pure white. 

20201205_163301.jpg

Edited by judianne

Judy beautiful job on the blanket. Glad you are feeling better. Our governor wanted retired drs and nurses to sign up last spring so they can start calling them in now.  They used a temporary morgue over a weekend in the southern part of state.  Its going to become more common in next few weeks.  I am just beside myself and so angry at people--last spring all those here that kept saying what was happening in NY just could not possibly happen here.  

Went to my dentist that I have gone to for nearly 40 years and found out he is retiring as of Dec 23 and moving to Tampa.  I really liked him and actually sort of looked forward to going in for my cleanings.  Then needing to get the suv inspected only to find out the owner of the place we have used for 23 years passed away mid Nov so that shop will close.  

The Village Foundation contacted me to see if I could crochet twiddle/fidget sleeves for some residents at the Care Center. I got 8 made over Thanksgiving week which is usually my busiest week of year but not this year.  I think its the first time I actually watched the Thanksgiving day parade in its entirety.  As a kid we would have been on the road to my grandma's.  Then I worked every Thanksgiving for 24 years.  After that I was in the kitchen and only stopped to see Santa arrive.

Hello ladies. No sign of winter here except for the cold. Usually we have had quite a bit of snow by now.  We had a few flurries about 3 weeks ago, nothing since.

Judy that’s a lovely blanket.  And, while I like the idea of big projects, you are right about small projects.  At least I have a good chance of finishing those.  

We finally got the tree up and I finished the crocheted purses for my grand daughters. I’m working on sewing a stocking for our youngest grand daughter and  also still working on the second knit slipper. (That’s the problem with things that come in pairs. Even though you finish one of them, you aren’t finished until you make 2!)

Today I finally put away my fall outdoor stuff and brought out the snowmen.  I’ve done a lot of online shopping so it’s time to get serious about wrapping, which is very low on my list of things I like to do.

We are still more or less locked down here. We see our kids and grandkids and a few friends that are very careful. Sadly, dh’s brother that had the stem cell transplant acts like he is invincible and just does whatever he wants. 

stay safe, everyone,

I got the tree up this weekend but not decorated yet. No other decorations out either. I did find small live wreaths at Lowe's for the front doors.

The next three weeks are going to be very full. DH is at chemo. I'm at the car dealership getting an oil change. Noon phone conference with lawyer. Afternoon Dr apt. Then Lowe's and walmart. Back to Oxford tomorrow for a Dr apt. Thursday is court hearing--neighbor of our land in the country being a butt.

Next week DH has testing and Dr apt in Little Rock --that's Monday thru Thursday away from home. Chemo/Dr apt the Tuesday of Christmas week. At least we aren't having open house Christmas Eve. The family just gets the house in whatever condition it's in. Lol

The week after Christmas I'm hibernating with a crochet hook.

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

Hi peeps!

On 12/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

That's so pretty, Judy! I'm sure it will be cherished.

Thank you! We had to start it up after a Covid hiatus...the feedback from the baby's parents was so overwhelmingly positive!  I embroider a small cross on one corner, also .

On 12/7/2020 at 3:18 AM, bgs said:

Judy beautiful job on the blanket. Thank you! Glad you are feeling better. Thanks...me too! I was having serious crochet withdrawal.... Our governor wanted retired drs and nurses to sign up last spring so they can start calling them in now.  They used a temporary morgue over a weekend in the southern part of state.  Its going to become more common in next few weeks.  I am just beside myself and so angry at people--last spring all those here that kept saying what was happening in NY just could not possibly happen here.  They're hoping to get the retired ones back in scrubs here, also, at least in NY...NJ has 10% positivity rate...I have heard that unless someone is in dire straights they're not being admitted to hospitals here in NJ. 

Went to my dentist that I have gone to for nearly 40 years and found out he is retiring as of Dec 23 and moving to Tampa.  I really liked him and actually sort of looked forward to going in for my cleanings. That's always a hard transition. Many years ago our regular - and old fashioned dentist - retired and sold his practice to young 2 brothers. We lucked out - they're super nice, as is the office staff. I see the one brother who has been trained to use nitrous oxide. I won't get any dental work without it! Then needing to get the suv inspected only to find out the owner of the place we have used for 23 years passed away mid Nov so that shop will close.  Way too many changes for many people this year....

The Village Foundation contacted me to see if I could crochet twiddle/fidget sleeves for some residents at the Care Center.  That's a good deed for sure! I got 8 made over Thanksgiving week which is usually my busiest week of year but not this year.  I think its the first time I actually watched the Thanksgiving day parade in its entirety.  As a kid we would have been on the road to my grandma's.  Then I worked every Thanksgiving for 24 years.  After that I was in the kitchen and only stopped to see Santa arrive.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:38 PM, Gardener said:

Hello ladies. No sign of winter here except for the cold. Usually we have had quite a bit of snow by now.  We had a few flurries about 3 weeks ago, nothing since.

Judy that’s a lovely blanket.Thank you! Very easy pattern and also a great way to use scraps by placing different bands of color, regardless of the size you make it. I'm working on another white blanket using the cosy Stripe pattern, also from attic24.  And, while I like the idea of big projects, you are right about small projects.  At least I have a good chance of finishing those.  Yes...I've known you a long time and remember your track record...lol! How's Hubby?

We finally got the tree up and I finished the crocheted purses for my grand daughters. I’m working on sewing a stocking for our youngest grand daughter and  also still working on the second knit slipper. (That’s the problem with things that come in pairs. Even though you finish one of them, you aren’t finished until you make 2!)YUP! Whenever I made baby booties I would have to make 3 in order to get two even close to the same size🤣 

Today I finally put away my fall outdoor stuff and brought out the snowmen.  I’ve done a lot of online shopping so it’s time to get serious about wrapping, which is very low on my list of things I like to do.

When I was a kid my mom used to give me the wrapping paper and the gifts for my young brother to wrap - I would sequester myself in her bedroom.

We are still more or less locked down here. We see our kids and grandkids and a few friends that are very careful. Sadly, dh’s brother that had the stem cell transplant acts like he is invincible and just does whatever he wants. We know people like your BIL...unfortunately they were bit on the pattooty last week for their casual attitudes.

stay safe, everyone,  You guys too!

On 12/8/2020 at 9:58 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

I got the tree up this weekend but not decorated yet. No other decorations out either. I did find small live wreaths at Lowe's for the front doors.

The next three weeks are going to be very full. DH is at chemo. I'm at the car dealership getting an oil change. Noon phone conference with lawyer. Afternoon Dr apt. Then Lowe's and walmart. Back to Oxford tomorrow for a Dr apt. Thursday is court hearing--neighbor of our land in the country being a butt.

Next week DH has testing and Dr apt in Little Rock --that's Monday thru Thursday away from home. Chemo/Dr apt the Tuesday of Christmas week. At least we aren't having open house Christmas Eve. The family just gets the house in whatever condition it's in. Lol

The week after Christmas I'm hibernating with a crochet hook. Wow...what a schedule !! I would seal the front door shut behind me too! Take care💕

On 12/7/2020 at 2:18 AM, bgs said:

The Village Foundation contacted me to see if I could crochet twiddle/fidget sleeves for some residents at the Care Center. I got 8 made over Thanksgiving week which is usually my busiest week of year but not this year.  

I would love to see a picture of these. I saw one on line somewhere a long time ago and it looked like a really neat idea with so many possible variations.

4 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I would love to see a picture of these. I saw one on line somewhere a long time ago and it looked like a really neat idea with so many possible variations.

Mona there are so many online to look at but I wasnt sure how safe and practical all the extras were on them.  Plus they need to be something that holds up to being laundered.  They emailed me a photo of one they got somewhere.  It was knitted.  You really need input about what the caregivers feel is safe for each individual resident.

I did research and these were the first two I made.20201123_085234.thumb.jpg.48663479b3d7adb5ebd5023fd0653b26.jpg

After looking at these she wanted them smaller around as she wanted them to stay on their forearm.  These fit my chunky arm.  She thought the beads might be risky for some.  She really liked the colors, curly cue, bells, and key ring.  She thought she had a couple of people that it would be best to not add the hard things and a couple of longer ones so I made these

20201130_092038.thumb.jpg.de5a5dbab5f1a609823d02e6933ffbfc.jpg

For the most part when flat they measure 4 inches across and 11 inches long.  I have been doing hdc in round.  Found a few hints to try to keep the joining seam for the round straight instead of slanted so practicing that along with practicing foundation sc to start them off.  Not worrying about even spacing all the way around on the bobbles or post stitches just concentrating on the front side.  Did a row of back loop only and then came back with different color and added row of sc onto the front loops.  I wished they had contacted me much sooner but guess they didnt know about them.  I had to design them in a hurry. They wanted them by Christmas. Also working with the Foundation executive assistant as go between and  she didnt seem to know how many were needed when I asked.  I asked if anyone else was making them and she said there was another lady.  Wish times were normal so we could do more in person collaborating.  I turned in above 4 plus these.  Have 4 more completed and 3 that need ends worked in and extras added.  This is why my tree is up but not yet decorated and I feel behind.  Just seems more important to do these.

20201130_091937.thumb.jpg.5c55c4258d78a27e14136d2a278328b6.jpg

Edited by bgs
  • Like 3

As I made them I thought if they take my crochet hooks and rings away I am going to need one.  My hands seem like they always need to be doing something.  I twist my rings and slide them on and off.  I will pick up a piece of ribbon especially wired ribbon and tie and untie bows. They always gave us an Andes mint after eating at the Japanese restaurant we like and I will sit there folding, unfolding and then refolding the wrapper. I do miss working in the lab pipetting specimens and reagents for tests. I will take out each lamp on a set of those little Christmas lights to check them if I cant zap them back on with my light keeper pro gadget. I will sit and untangle those yarn barfs rather than cut the yarn.  I leave all my ends on projects and work them in last.

• Like 1

Hi ladies.

Judy, Dh is doing pretty well.  He got into a research project on a drug that shows great promise at really slowing the progress. Of course, we don’t know if he’s getting the drug or a placebo, but either way, just knowing it’s on the pipeline is comforting. He’s also on conventional therapy and is still walking 3-4 miles every morning.  Getting the two slippers done wasn’t as bad as some pairs of things I’ve done  they are knit flat so I can match the second one to the first one as I go.  I finished knitting them, just need to sew them together.  Now I’m working on some crocheted fingerless gloves. So far I have two identical cuffs,.....

Mona, I am tired just reading your post.  I’d say that I don’t know how you do it, but I know that just knowing it has to be done, somehow keeps us plodding along.  I sure hope you can find a little time to relax in there.

Brenda, I love your twiddle sleeves.  I’ve only ever seen blankets. I might need one of those someday. I always have to be doing something.  

I finished dgd's stocking, finally. If there’s anything I’m good at, it’s procrastination!

ETA:  I guess I ought to cut off those threads!  I didn’t notice them until I looked at the picture!

7F410B96-EA36-4CF2-8129-EAF9A97A478D.jpeg

Edited by Gardener
  • Like 1

Cindy, hope DH continues to do well! The stocking is pretty!

I got most of the packing done yesterday. So it's finish up and do all the last minute things before we leave around noon. Three hour trip so that's not too bad. Only thing there today is unpack at the hotel and get supper. All his test are in one day (usually two days) tomorrow. I won't know if they'll let me in until we get there. It just depends on the mood of the person manning the door. The good news is the MRIs are usually late afternoon apts and we might not get thru until 8-9, but this time they are early afternoon. Wednesday is a totally free day. DH will be taking benadryl Tuesday night because Tuesday is steroid day and he has trouble sleeping. I may take one too. LOL

Hope everyone has a good week!

Hi peeps....on my phone so I can keep up with everyone! 

Cindy...so happy your DH is in that study! 

And love the fiddle sleeves. 

I, too, will need something like that if there comes a day i can't hook any longer!

We're making a list for the food store tomorrow.  Waiting for a nor'Easter on Wednesday into Thursday. Not rain, though...could be double digits in the snow Department. Lucy and I will be out there once it stops!

Cindy glad to hear dh is doing ok and in that study.  Praying that it works out well for him.  Cute stocking. I might graduate from my knifty knitter looms to needle knitting someday.  After studying some of the convoluted ways they make different stitches on the looms I am sure needles would be easier.

Mona I dont know how you do it.  Your schedule always seems so busy and then to factor in travel time.....

Judy hope you and Lucy dont get too much snow but just the right amount.

10 more ready for pickup.  Now to decorate my tree.

20201215_091149.thumb.jpg.227f17c87c406d8d4e1d6e340c41fd35.jpg

Edited by bgs
  • Like 2

Hi peeps!

I'm so glad I took Lucy out in the snow  last night before the 7 inches froze over this morning!

We had a blast! She was bouncing around like a puppy, running and jumping. I needed some fun too, so it was a win-win for us both😍

20201217_072901.jpg

• Like 1

No snow here. (Not complaining!😂). It’s beautiful though, especially when it’s somewhere else.  Judy, I’m glad you and Lucy enjoyed it!

Mona, hope all went well for your Dh and that you are taking care of yourself too.

Brenda, I was just thinking about getting out my knotty knitter looms.  Not sure I remember how to use them, but I imagine I can find a video online to help.

I think I’m all set for Christmas. Dh’s big gift has been delayed and it won’t come until sometime in January, but I bought him a couple of small gifts and he won’t mind waiting.

Hope you are all doing well.

• Like 1

Beautiful snow picture, Judy! Sounds like fun, but glad it's not here. LOL

DH got good results on his myeloma bloodwork and scans. It's stable and Dr wants to continue with the same chemo for now. PET scan showed lung inflammation (pneumonia). They sent him for a covid test, got the positive results back this morning. On the  phone with both oncologists resulting in an apt Monday for antibody treatment.

So there goes Christmas with the grands.

2020 couldn't just sneak out the back door. She has to end with a bang. But we will prevail!

I went back to turn on the extra heater in the bedroom because DH was cold and ready to go to bed. Glanced out as I started to close the curtains. Wow--a gorgeous sunset to remind me that God is close and looking after us!

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 1:35 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Beautiful snow picture, Judy! Sounds like fun, but glad it's not here. LOL

DH got good results on his myeloma bloodwork and scans. It's stable and Dr wants to continue with the same chemo for now. PET scan showed lung inflammation (pneumonia). They sent him for a covid test, got the positive results back this morning. On the  phone with both oncologists resulting in an apt Monday for antibody treatment.

So there goes Christmas with the grands.

2020 couldn't just sneak out the back door. She has to end with a bang. But we will prevail!

Oh no...I'm sure glad he can get the antibody treatment! Will be keeping both of you in my prayers. 💞 

Mona:hug

Spent day in Christmas jammies not doing much.  Usually Sat before Christmas I am busy helping sis get ready for everyone at her house Christmas day.  I should have dug out decorations for the indoor tree but just couldnt find the motivation. Crazy since I have so many ornaments I could put a different batch on it each year for the next 25 years and a shame because I always liked looking at the tree with just the lights. Outdoor tree decorated a few weeks ago so I did decorate a tree.  Finally got the fireplace checked out.  It wasnt a priority last year.  Its gas and you flip a switch for it to ignite. As we suspected something was wrong.  They replaced the thermopile so now its good to go.  Even though everything is so weird this year it somehow feels peaceful.

• Like 1