Newest Version of Our House CAL!

judianne

All four of the grands were here for a good part of yesterday. The boys took a nap, so it wasn't too bad. The girls and DIL came back this afternoon and I now have purple hair. LOL The girls have done pink in theirs a number of times and they always want me to color mine. So today was the day. It'll wash out after a couple of shampoos, but fun in the meantime. (DH would not have understood. LOL) Then the boys came for a while late this afternoon between rains. 

I've actually gotten some crochet time in between the visits. I have the Mary Maxim sweater pattern, Grandma's Little Girl, which is 24 month in a #3 yarn. I'm trying it in a #5 weight yarn and K hook to hopefully fit the girls.

Off to see what's for supper and maybe crochet a little more.

• Like 1

Holy cow, what a day! We've had 11 1/2"+ of rain. Back yard was more flooded than it's ever been. It's receded a lot now but my son's house and his rental house next to it both got water in them. He and the four grands are here for the time being. More rain in the forecast--every day this week. Just got the kids all to bed. Need lots of chocolate!

Oh no Mona thats a lot of rain.  That happened to us a few years ago out at old place.  We got like 12 inches and in a short time.  On my birthday no less.  It messed up our septic lateral.  Some leakage up thru floor of house.  We had planned to go out to eat for my birthday but didnt.  Water was over road in many places.  Hope it lets up and worst is over.

We've had 3" more rain. Two three-year-olds 24 hours a day will quickly let you know just how old you are. LOL We started the day with one throwing up. Then DS found out the rental house AC wasn't working. DIL will be back tomorrow but they will all be here probably thru the weekend. A friend brought fans this morning and another is helping pick up all the stuff that ends up in the floor with four kids.

I found a leak in one room upstairs last night, so a roofing bill to look forward to. We got notice this morning that our post office is closed until they get the roof fixed. We don't have house delivery here. At this point we'll have a forty minute round trip to get our mail.

"Gloom, despair and agony on me" 

Ok, hopefully I have the day's whining out of my system.

Mona I am so sorry and I know that song all too well!  

Gloom, despair, and agony on me

Deep, dark depression, excessive misery

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

Just shaking my head and going poor Mona.  She doesnt need this.  I remember how stressful it was the times we got too much rain and all the extra damage it caused.  Guess we were lucky we had mail delivery out where we were.  Still I can relate on the 40 minute drive.  It sucked when they shut the road down to put in a new bridge.  There was no short quick smooth way to get around it.  

I dont think I could keep up with one 3 year old let alone two.  

15 hours ago, bgs said:

Mona I am so sorry and I know that song all too well!  

Deep, dark depression, excessive misery

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

Just shaking my head and going poor Mona.  She doesnt need this.  I remember how stressful it was the times we got too much rain and all the extra damage it caused.  Guess we were lucky we had mail delivery out where we were.  Still I can relate on the 40 minute drive.  It sucked when they shut the road down to put in a new bridge.  There was no short quick smooth way to get around it.  

I dont think I could keep up with one 3 year old let alone two.  

I figured this crowd was of an age to recognize that quote. LOL

I've started counting the hours I've survived--52 hours. They just went down for a nap after some wailing and gnashing of teeth--theirs not mine. LOL At least the girls can usually entertain themselves, mostly fairly quietly.

DIL is due back middle of the afternoon. And DS has made great progress on getting the house cleaned up. He's on the last room, so they may be back in it by tomorrow. He brought over some of the stuff that needs washing. So much wet stuff!!!

Mona, I'm exhausted reading everything going on!!! I see how exhausted my 62 yo friend gets watching her 8 mo old grandson!! When she has the 3 1/2 yo big sister at the same time...yikes! I can't imagine multiplying  that by more kids! 

I am home alone tonight--sweet silence! They finished up the main part of clean up and it's habitable again. We've had sun today and are headed into the 90's with heat index 100+. But hopefully no more rain for a while. We ended up just shy of 20" for the week. A couple of highways are still closed and lots of homes in neighboring towns/county still flooded. No idea what the consequences will be for crops flooded this last in the season.

Mona, there's a nearby town that is always at severe risk for flooding...has to be scary to live with that threat. Our area is very close to the ocean and we also have a lot of salt water marshes, so you really have to know the flood plain around here.  

I hope you can escape any more floods💕

Judy, so pretty! Your colors are always great.

We're really flat here, but don't usually flood. Lots of ditches, streams, rivers etc for it to run off into except for those rare times when we get too much too quickly. We're having a little thunderstorm right now, but it looks like it will be over pretty quickly.

I've been a bum this weekend except for going to get pool salt yesterday. Too hot and humid to be out doing anything. I'll make the trip to get mail tomorrow. We're hoping they come up with a better solution or get the post office roof fixed really soon.

• Like 1

Tues after prayer shawl we had lunch with the ladies I used to work with.  They are going to try meeting every second Tues at different places.  Wed and Thurs I went to sis's house.  Wed we weeded at the church.  Thurs we went to the city market.  Then we stopped to pick up burritos from a little Mexican restaurant to have for supper for her birthday with dh and niece.  Fri was laundry and housework. Storm blew thru in afternoon.  Some areas had a lot of tree damage but not horrible here. Gone almost 12 hours Sat.  First IRL bonsai meeting in 15 months.  We picked up sandwiches and ate them at one ladies house.  Visited for a long time and then had supper at the Japanese restaurant we like----I have really missed that.  A couple of our bonsai friends are going to visit Sat so we can show them around.  Today we went to church.

Mona its hot and humid here too.  I dont like being out in it and especially in a car.  You deserve some down time with the busy week you had compounded by flooding.

Sorry, I'm back to vent and whine! DIL (the one with three kids plus the adopted nephew) went for a pap smear this morning and came back pregnant. I know accidents happen, but geeze, that's an expensive one. DS has a good job but it's not really a five kids paying job even if she continues to home school and they don't have private school expenses. Plus it has a lot of traveling time parts of the year. Still stunned by the news and trying not to just sit down and cry.

16 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Sorry, I'm back to vent and whine! DIL (the one with three kids plus the adopted nephew) went for a pap smear this morning and came back pregnant. I know accidents happen, but geeze, that's an expensive one. DS has a good job but it's not really a five kids paying job even if she continues to home school and they don't have private school expenses. Plus it has a lot of traveling time parts of the year. Still stunned by the news and trying not to just sit down and cry.

Mona I saw pap smear and my mind immediately jumped to cancer. So its good its not that.   Sounds like you are in shock right now and  worry about a lot of things like I do------once I asked sis isnt niece worried......sis said nah she has an aunt that worries more than enough for all of them.  Focus on you are getting a new grandbaby to enjoy.  Kind of understand how you feel though one of my sisters married as soon as she graduated high school and immediately got pregnant.   My mom was so worried that it all happened too fast.  (I inherited the worry thing from her).  

Mona, I'm with Brenda on the surprise baby. Though I understand your shock. I've known some surprise babies in my day and they became amazing people. 

Hi ladies.  Sorry I’ve been MIA. We’ve been camping with limited internet access.  When we got home, I got the news that a friend found her husband dead, next to a tree he had just planted on property they bought to build a retirement home.  I feel so bad for her and it really struck me that we need to make the most of each day we are given.  

I read all the posts that I missed but I am so far behind…..
I was astounded, reading about all Mona’s rain.  It’s really dry here  It rained a bit last night, but we need a lot more rain.  The farmers are really hurting.

I haven’t been crocheting much, too much outside work to be done.   Plus, all my projects bore me.  The thing is….I have started way too many things, and I refuse to allow myself to start anything new until two UFOs are finished.  Now if I can only make myself listen to me!

• Like 1

Cindy I think its good to take some time and unplug from the internet.  So sorry about your friend.  I know its morbid but dh and I both thought we would just get moved in and then keel over.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:21 PM, bgs said:

Cindy I think its good to take some time and unplug from the internet.  So sorry about your friend.  I know its morbid but dh and I both thought we would just get moved in and then keel over.  

Brenda, when I was working it always amazed me how many people seemed to develop serious health conditions within the first few years after retiring.   

I frequently hear about couples moving to their dream retirement home and one passing away.  Was holding my breath that wasnt going to be our case and then the pandemic hit. 

Mona how's the weather your way. Hoping the tropical storm didnt cause more rain for you.

2 hours ago, bgs said:

I frequently hear about couples moving to their dream retirement home and one passing away.  Was holding my breath that wasnt going to be our case and then the pandemic hit. 

Mona how's the weather your way. Hoping the tropical storm didnt cause more rain for you.

The coast got lots of rain, but it was all south and east of us. Just hot here.

Judy, another pretty set!

Cindy, we definitely need to remember to enjoy every day no matter what it brings.

Mona glad to hear that batch of rain missed you.  Its been in the 100's here last few days. We could use some rain as plants are looking stressed.  

Judy another nice set.  I think I finally got another prayer shawl finished except for working in ends.  I will look at for awhile and hopefully I wont have to rip this one out too.  

Spent yesterday with a couple of bonsai friends.  Had lunch and showed them around here. We could use meeting rooms here at no charge once in awhile if the group wants to.  A bonsai master from Puerto Rico will be here Fri and Sat.  Looking forward to seeing him again

I didnt realize how much I missed being  in our church in person.  I think dh thought I wouldnt want to go back because it was just so convenient sitting here in sweats watching on FB.  Pastors big announcement this morning was his pool team won their tournament last week (without him as he was with the teens at Soul Quest) and now they are going to Vegas for the next round.

After last year it feels good to sit in a restaurant, sit in church, and walk not run thru a store.  Its good to be able to walk thru the apartment buildings here and see everyone again.  Since we moved here I see my sis, niece, and friends a lot more.