Newest Version of Our House CAL!

judianne

Thanks, ladies!

Brenda, yes - it's so wonderful not rushing through stores and being able to visit friends - we also loved the hum of lots of loud voices the last time we were in Chili's.

I finally found an easy to follow video for the Tunisian simple stitch and my first practice piece, a dishcloth, is half finished. To stop the curl, I chained and then worked a row of sc.

Next one will be the Tunisian knit stitch. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Mary Jo! 

I apologize for not being here in a while...I've been so absorbed in finishing a baby blanket that I haven't even been reading!

Ignore the less than true colors of the blanket, but it's Cosy Stripe, colors of the nursery. Gray looks better in person.20210721_155326.thumb.jpg.1ce70560deb7cf1aa9375b037b134aaa.jpg

20210721_133423.jpg

• Like 2

Judy, another nice one!

It's been same old, same old here. I've decided if I can't say something positive about life then I'll just keep my mouth shut. We're back to the hot but are getting an occasional rain. They've finally started working on the roof of our post office.

I've finally gotten back to the crochet hook--little projects--freeze pop holders and toy dishcloths and potholders. I finished one of the girls' sweaters but it took one more skein than anticipated so I'm waiting on an order that is running late to start on the second one.

2 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Judy, another nice one!

It's been same old, same old here. I've decided if I can't say something positive about life then I'll just keep my mouth shut. We're back to the hot but are getting an occasional rain. They've finally started working on the roof of our post office.

I've finally gotten back to the crochet hook--little projects--freeze pop holders and toy dishcloths and potholders. I finished one of the girls' sweaters but it took one more skein than anticipated so I'm waiting on an order that is running late to start on the second one.

Thanks, Mona.

I try to remind myself that very same thing...watching G rated movies instead of the news has helped my disposition a lot!

Judy thanks for the photos of your projects.  Keeps me motivated mostly on prayer shawls.  Turned in two a couple of weeks ago and have two that might be ready to turn in at next meeting in a couple of weeks.  Relieved all our dental stuff that started in May should be over unless I have to run back for him to take off another high spot.  The second crown went smooth but first one having trouble getting it right.  I dont think it was a good idea getting one permanent crown put on and crown prep on opposite side in one setting but that was the way dh scheduled us.  He needed two crowns also.  Dentist worked the crowns so they fit my retainers and forgot to polish the first one. I finally noticed how rough it was and went back so he had to polish it in my mouth.  

We have been out doing as much as we can before things get bad again. Hospitals are fuller than before.  In rural areas they are full of covid patients.  The ones here are full and refusing their transfers. Here its some covid, but mostly RSV and things that got serious because of being postponed earlier.   We have been going to church, monthly lunches with the ladies I used to work with and bonsai.  We had our master from Puerto Rico. People have stopped by to see us.  Tues evening we went to a jam session.  First evening entertainment in what I call the fun apartments since shutdown.  Have been meeting some new people that moved in.  One is a friend of a friend.  Dh has been walking a dog and carrying in things for a new lady that recently had hip replacement.  Caught up with the lady that lives here that I went to college with.  She and dh worked at same place.  Sis and I have been going to city market every couple of weeks.  We love the $1 bowls.  I spent $13 and its taken me 3 hours processing things.  

• Like 1

Hi ladies sorry to be MIA again. Just haven’t felt much like crocheting.  Probably because I made myself a rule that I have to finish a project before starting a new one. It’s been hot and humid here too, which hasn’t helped.  

I agree that it’s nice to be able to eat in a restaurant and visit with friends. In fact we are having friends over for dinner on Saturday.

My BIL, the one with leukemia is not doing well.  There is one more treatment the Dr. said she could try if his insurance will cover it.  He looks awful, he’s lost a ton of weight and he’s very juandiced.  He says he feels pretty good still, which is a blessing.  

Hope you are all being more productive than I am!

Brenda, that is quiet a schedule of activities, but sounds like fun.

Cindy, I'm sorry BIL is not doing well. I haven't gotten much crocheting done but don't have the excuse of having to finish a WIP first.

It is horridly hot today, 95 with a heat index of 110, and is supposed to get hotter as the week goes. I need to mow the yard but I think I missed the best chance yesterday when a late rain cloud not too far off brought clouds and a little wind. I just hate to mow on a Sunday.

DIL brought Chinese take-out over for lunch today which was a nice change. They didn't stay a long time but I was tired afterwards and took a nap. Not sure if it's the heat, new medicine, or just being overweight and out of shape, but the energy level lately has not been great.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:15 PM, Gardener said:

Hi ladies sorry to be MIA again. Just haven’t felt much like crocheting.  Probably because I made myself a rule that I have to finish a project before starting a new one. It’s been hot and humid here too, which hasn’t helped.  

I agree that it’s nice to be able to eat in a restaurant and visit with friends. In fact we are having friends over for dinner on Saturday.

My BIL, the one with leukemia is not doing well.  There is one more treatment the Dr. said she could try if his insurance will cover it.  He looks awful, he’s lost a ton of weight and he’s very juandiced.  He says he feels pretty good still, which is a blessing.  

Hope you are all being more productive than I am!

Hi Cindy...so good seeing you here.

And yes, it is a blessing blessing that your BIL feels pretty good. But it's so sad that trying a new treatment is dependent on insurance.  That shouldn't be ...

He's lucky he has his family!

And heat and humidity...AC plus a fan, where I sit and crochet in the house...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m so sorry I’ve been MIA again.  I’m on week 7 of tendonitis in my left wrist. I can barely do anything with that hand without severe pain.  I finally have an appointment with a hand surgeon next week.  Hopefully he will have some ideas. Ice, pain meds and special exercises haven’t helped.  So, no crocheting here. I tried though.  I also tried knitting, embroidering and sewing. Sewing by machine is fine, but pinning stuff together is painful. However, I am able to dust, vacuum, do laundry. wash floors, pull weeds, etc.  I guess it’s better than doing nothing!😜 

My bil is still hanging on.  He gets chemo every week, and most weeks he gets blood and platelet infusions as well. Not sure how long this can go on.  He’s not in remission and it seems very unlikely that he ever will be  

I hope you are all doing well.

Edited by Gardener

Cindy hate to hear about your wrist.  Sorry nothing is helping the pain.  Wish your bil was doing better.  Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Things have gotten bad here covid wise.  We stopped going to church end of July.  The pews are usually packed, no masks, I dont know how many are vaccinated,  there are lots of babies and toddlers,  people act like nothing is going on and come up and hug you.  We did get to see dh's 4th cousin when she was here from FL.  Met her a couple of days at genealogy library, went to supper one evening, and she stopped by here for a bit as it was on her way to where she was staying.  The ladies I used to work with so far have met once a month for lunch.  Dh and I were exposed to covid here.  It was a break through case and she wound up in hospital.  Public safety told us since we were vaccinated and wore masks there was less than 5% chance of us catching it.  We made it thru our 96 hours ok.  bil who didnt get vaccinated was exposed at work and was sick 2 days later.  He  ran a temp for 10 days, was sick to stomach and is very tired.  My sister (vaccinated) never caught  it.  Right now the testing centers are so booked you cant get in to be tested for over a week.  Bil went to ER to be tested and Public Safety tested the lady here as she was too sick to drive and she checked all around and couldnt get an appointment for over a week. Glad bil did not get exposed until Sat after his mom's funeral on Thurs.  We went to the visitation and were the only ones wearing masks.  Lost another aunt a week ago but didnt go to the service.  Would have been 2 hour one way trip and in part of state not wearing masks.  We went to the newbie event here.  Seemed kind of weird since we will soon be here 2 years but they didnt have it last year and we moved in after the one in 2019.  Dh is walking another dog.  My friend's friend that moved here a few months ago turned 93 last week.  The week before she spent a day in the hospital and seems to tire easily.  Her shih tzu is the sweetest thing.   She loves everybody and everybody loves her. I have been working on prayer shawls and looming hats.  

Hoping everyone is making it thru ok---covid, fires, hurricanes, flooding and just everything thats going on.  

Cindy, I hope they will find the answer for your pain! That's a long time to be dealing with it. Glad you can do a few things at least and hope you'll be back crochet soon. Prayers for you and your bil.

Brenda, we are just in a holding pattern again here, only doing what's essential. There have been more and more breakthrough cases. Hospitalizations are finally dropping statewide, so hopefully we're on the downswing. 

There seems to be one thing after another to deal with. I've lost both renters but have one prospect at least. (Have to laugh instead of cry about the one that brought the keys yesterday and said she had cleaned except for mopping. That's because she vacuums; she doesn't own a mop.) Found a new person to do the weed eating who hopefully will be more reliable. I've been trying to stay positive but have had a hard time not procrastinating about things I know need to be dealt with. Trying not to stress about procrastinating, just take it one step at a time. Just printed out some anxiety exercises and grounding techniques I hope will help with getting out of negative thought loops.

DS and family came to the pool yesterday and we ate lunch while the grands swam. Nice day.

Hope all are having a relaxing holiday weekend!

On 9/5/2021 at 9:29 PM, Gardener said:

I’m so sorry I’ve been MIA again.  I’m on week 7 of tendonitis in my left wrist. I can barely do anything with that hand without severe pain.  I finally have an appointment with a hand surgeon next week.  Hopefully he will have some ideas. Ice, pain meds and special exercises haven’t helped.  So, no crocheting here. I tried though.  I also tried knitting, embroidering and sewing. Sewing by machine is fine, but pinning stuff together is painful. However, I am able to dust, vacuum, do laundry. wash floors, pull weeds, etc.  I guess it’s better than doing nothing!😜 
IM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR WRIST! THAT CAN BE SO FRUSTRATING. I HOPE YOUR DOCTOR OFFERS A RELATIVELY SIMPLE SOLUTION.
 My bil is still hanging on.  He gets chemo every week, and most weeks he gets blood and platelet infusions as well.

I JUST LEARNED THAT ONE OF MY BROTHERS HAS BEEN DONATING PLATELETS FOR MANY YEARS. STARTED AFTER HE RECOVERED FROM SUCCESSFUL HEART SURGERY. HE'S SO HAPPY TO BE ABLE TO HELP PEOPLE.

Not sure how long this can go on.  He’s not in remission and it seems very unlikely that he ever will be  

THAT'S SO HARD TO SEE SOMEONE SUFFER....HUGS AND PRAYERS TO ALL OF YOU.

I hope you are all doing well.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:07 AM, bgs said:

Cindy hate to hear about your wrist.  Sorry nothing is helping the pain.  Wish your bil was doing better.  Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Things have gotten bad here covid wise.  We stopped going to church end of July.  The pews are usually packed, no masks, I dont know how many are vaccinated,  there are lots of babies and toddlers,  people act like nothing is going on and come up and hug you.  We did get to see dh's 4th cousin when she was here from FL.  Met her a couple of days at genealogy library, went to supper one evening, and she stopped by here for a bit as it was on her way to where she was staying.  The ladies I used to work with so far have met once a month for lunch.  Dh and I were exposed to covid here.  It was a break through case and she wound up in hospital.  Public safety told us since we were vaccinated and wore masks there was less than 5% chance of us catching it.  We made it thru our 96 hours ok.  bil who didnt get vaccinated was exposed at work and was sick 2 days later.  He  ran a temp for 10 days, was sick to stomach and is very tired.  My sister (vaccinated) never caught  it.  Right now the testing centers are so booked you cant get in to be tested for over a week.  Bil went to ER to be tested and Public Safety tested the lady here as she was too sick to drive and she checked all around and couldnt get an appointment for over a week. Glad bil did not get exposed until Sat after his mom's funeral on Thurs.  We went to the visitation and were the only ones wearing masks.  Lost another aunt a week ago but didnt go to the service.  Would have been 2 hour one way trip and in part of state not wearing masks.  We went to the newbie event here.  Seemed kind of weird since we will soon be here 2 years but they didnt have it last year and we moved in after the one in 2019.  Dh is walking another dog.  My friend's friend that moved here a few months ago turned 93 last week.  The week before she spent a day in the hospital and seems to tire easily.  Her shih tzu is the sweetest thing.   She loves everybody and everybody loves her. I have been working on prayer shawls and looming hats.  

Hoping everyone is making it thru ok---covid, fires, hurricanes, flooding and just everything thats going on.  

Glad I live in NJ ...but only at a time like this. We're back to almost all indoor settings, including churches, requiring masks. And I still have a good friend who has bought into the ant Vax hype, who I won't visit with in either of our homes. Outside or neutral ground where I'll be masked.

People need to be considerate.

On 9/6/2021 at 9:10 AM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Cindy, I hope they will find the answer for your pain! That's a long time to be dealing with it. Glad you can do a few things at least and hope you'll be back crochet soon. Prayers for you and your bil.

Brenda, we are just in a holding pattern again here, only doing what's essential. There have been more and more breakthrough cases. Hospitalizations are finally dropping statewide, so hopefully we're on the downswing. 

There seems to be one thing after another to deal with. I've lost both renters but have one prospect at least. (Have to laugh instead of cry about the one that brought the keys yesterday and said she had cleaned except for mopping. That's because she vacuums; she doesn't own a mop.) Found a new person to do the weed eating who hopefully will be more reliable. I've been trying to stay positive but have had a hard time not procrastinating about things I know need to be dealt with. Trying not to stress about procrastinating, just take it one step at a time. Just printed out some anxiety exercises and grounding techniques I hope will help with getting out of negative thought loops.

DS and family came to the pool yesterday and we ate lunch while the grands swam. Nice day.

Hope all are having a relaxing holiday weekend!

Our hospitals in nj haven't had a surge in admissions, but there has been talk that there will be one soon. 

I have an anti vax friend as well…except she and her hubby got the vaccine back in the early spring. She has done a total about face since then.  Cases are up a bit here, but not as much as in a lot of other areas and hospitalizations aren’t out of control. (Yet).  The public schools around here are all mandating masks and that has a lot of parents up in arms.  Since I don’t have kids in school, I haven’t really considered how I would feel about that.

On Monday we went to a huge flea market. I bought an adult coloring book on impulse there.  I figured it would be something to do one handed and it turns out that it’s a nice thing to do when I watch tv, which isn’t very often.  It’s just random designs, so no need to obsess about color choices.  Of course I had to buy some coloring pencils to go with it, and while I was at it, I bought a set of 72.  I feel like a kid with a box of new crayons!

Brenda, your post made me wonder if I could loom hats. I have a bunch of looms. I gave the little hook thingie to my 6 year grand daughter because she found a loom and a bag of yarn at goodwill, but it didn’t include a hook.  

Mona I find myself procrastinating a lot when it comes to paperwork type things especially if I have to look things up or think too much about answers. I have a lot of boxes and totes I need to go thru----it just happens a little at a time and as long as I am crocheting or looming I am using  yarn and emptying out totes.  Crocheting helps me keep my anxiety under control.  Saw a card the other day I could relate to.   It said I have CDO which is OCD but letters are in proper order

Cindy dont know if they still do but they used to sell extra hooks separately at the craft stores.  Probably can get them online.  I have one that came with a wooden loom, not sure where it is.  The plastic handle part broke on one of mine.  I am wondering about pulling the metal part out and seeing if I could put a wooden handle on it.  I have been looming so much my shoulder is a little sore so having to back off a bit.  I have completed 10 adult man sized hats--- 20 small skeins used up.

We were a hotspot state right away--- low vaccination rate and spotty mask mandates.  Now besides hospitals and ER's  so busy with covid patients that they have a hard time handling other emergencies like heart attacks, strokes and car accidents they are having to deal with ivermectin poisoning. I admit I dont understand the thought process----fda aproved vaccine for adult humans versus de-wormer in dosages for horses/cattle.  KC Children's Mercy Hospital hit capacity today because of the rise in covid and rsv.  

Dh is excited.  Bowling league starts tomorrow.  Had a little group lunch today. My friend and another one of her neighbors were finally able to come have lunch with their neighbor that moved in here (the one that dh has been helping walk the dog).  

• Like 1

Hi! It's been yrs since I was on here. Facebook brain I guess. But I miss it. There used to be special crochet emojis for here, whered they go?

These are the squares I'm currently working on for an afghan.

Hope your all having a great day

20210912_095600.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristiG said:

Hi! It's been yrs since I was on here. Facebook brain I guess. But I miss it. There used to be special crochet emojis for here, whered they go?

These are the squares I'm currently working on for an afghan.

Hope your all having a great day

20210912_095600.jpg

Welcome back!

After multiple forum upgrades emojis were added and the ones we loved were bumped to the bottom.  I am on mobile and almost every time I scroll down to try to use them my post locks up so I have to exit,  come back and retype my post.  Yep tried just now and it did it again.  

6 minutes ago, bgs said:

Welcome back!

After multiple forum upgrades emojis were added and the ones we loved were bumped to the bottom.  I am on mobile and almost every time I scroll down to try to use them my post locks up so I have to exit,  come back and retype my post.  Yep tried just now and it did it again.  

Thanks Brenda, I really enjoyed those :hug at least I know how to find them now

45 minutes ago, ChristiG said:

Thanks Brenda, I really enjoyed those :hug at least I know how to find them now

Good thing is after you find and use them the ones you use go to the top so its easier next time.  Bad thing is my fat fingers have fumbled on some that I do not want to use (think one finger salute) so they are now at top.  

• Haha 1

Hi Christi, good to see you again!  That’s going to be a pretty afghan.  

I'm still not crocheting. My wrist seems to have ups and Downs, but it’s about as bad as it’s ever been at the moment.   Thankfully, I finally get to see a hand surgeon on Wednesday.  I sure hope they have something to offer. It’s been over eight weeks and it’s getting old!  

hope you are all doing well.