Granny Squares for those that need them cal 2018

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone.

It is now 7:30 am and I have been up since 3:45 am, I didn't sleep much last night. We still have power but the lights have been flickering so I thought I had best pop in and give you an update while I can. The rain and winds have gotten worse and there is still more to come. There are over 173,000 homes and businesses without power in my county. I'll check back in when I can. 

Well, so far so good.  The storm is in the keys and it is back up to a CAT 4.  We should see it tonight.

The last time we had a scare like this was 2004 with Charlie.  He was coming up the coast heading right for Tampa when it turned in and landed at Punta Gorda.

No more evacuations.  We are west of Tampa in that little piece that sticks out.  Everything is in the house and one of the neighbors that was leaving yesterday, asked us to take his bbq and gas.  So we now have something to cook on.  We have good neighbors.

As long as we have electricity, we will try to check in.

Oo, Mary Jo. Please be careful if you cook in the house with a grill. Last week they were telling people in Texas not to do that because of the fire risk. They also said not to use a generator indoors because of the fumes.

I hope you guys willl all be ok. Things can be replaced but you can't! :ghug

The grill will not be used, till this is over and I can open the garage door.  It is just nice to know that I have something if I need it after the passing of Irma.

We have to keep our sense of humor here.  Yesterday day there was a story about a couple.  He is 104 and she is 92, they have been married for 75 years.  Their names are Harvey and Irma. 

Everyone keep safe and stay put. 

I will try to pop in when I can.

Carol did you see the area outside of Florida where all the Electrical Trucks are at from all over the county?  They showed this big parking lot full of trucks just ready and waiting to be let in to get us all back on line.  Very cool.

w0w guys happy to hear you are ok  we are watching in awe as there are so many in the path  the electricity will no doubt give out as it gets more severe i hope not but  

thinking it will  looks wild from the tv and im just really praying that it isnt as damaging as they predict

mary jo that is something about that old couple huh!! i dreamed last night that we had to get to the bank and pull our cash out and then get gas and more food and fill up the propane bottle and buy bottled water!! and and and  i felt panicked and scared even in my dream so i really feel for you guys to be sure  you are so stoic and brave and i just gotta hand it to you all of you in ths situation  

plese stay safe and keep you senses about you  many prayers for you all  :ghug yhank you for taking the time to let us know as i think we are all of us affected when our friends are affected somewhat in short we worry  so thanks really for checking in   1 million 300 thousand out of power now   wow  

our task force 1  (Nebraska ) is in alabama awaiting the chance when they can get in when the storm stops  our task force troops and equipment are there  they left here two days ago to set up near by   electric equip and crews are in place near by as well as search and rescue teams and  a lot of equip    " may  the higher ups keep  watch over you all  and keep you safe "         

I saw the blip on the news about  Harvey and Irma, the couple. They also showed a bunch of the electric crews that were leaving here and would be at the staging area now.  Heart to Heart was packing up medical supplies and volunteers were packing personal hygiene kits.  The rescue bbq team was loading up to send a mobile kitchen to help feed first responders.

I have been watching the live coverage all morning---the flooding in Miami, looters,  tornado damage etc and I am thinking those reporters and their crews  are braver than me.   I believe they mentioned Carol's city saying they clocked the wind there at 109 mph. 

Katy I have been feeling anxious and distressed also.  We have the nearby communities working on recovery from last spring's tornadoes  and those trying to recover from last months flooding and knowing Harvey and Irma have done far worse is mind boggling.  I have gone without electricity at home for a week from an ice storm but dh had it at work and we could go out to restaurants and other places that had electricity.  During plumbing catastrophes I have been without running water for a few days and another time went nearly a month restricting the amount that went into the septic system.  I know many are now going to have to deal with so much worse most likely for much longer. Mary Jo and Carol you are both constantly on my mind hoping you make it through ok.

Now for a lighter note we left home about 1pm to go to the genealogy library and to do some errands.  dh turned on the radio to see if the Royals were playing and got what he thought was static or an alien broadcast. I told him it was the national anthem.  He said it was not.  I said was so.  He left it on just to see and finally recognized the last part.  Then the baseball announcer came on and said the national anthem was played by (and gave the name)I guess it was an electric guitar acid rock style solo.   We spent yesterday at the Rennaisance Festival from open to close and had a good time.  It was the Highland Fling weekend so among other things we watched the caber toss and listened to bag pipe music.  The weather was nice but there was a lot of fine dust in the air--- so not good for allergies.

And this batch of stockings fills up the mailing envelope.

20170906_151147.thumb.jpg.06f141ca91cbdfd48aa5e362a3770692.jpg

I'm back. I am shocked that we still have electricity, there have been a few times that I thought it was gone but it came back and it could still go but I'm hoping it won't. I saw a picture posted on facebook of electrical trucks and national guard trucks waiting a little bit north of me. We're certainly going to need them, the news is reporting over a half million customers are without power in south Florida. Officials have closed the county two counties south of me where the Irma first made landfall, people who evacuated are not being allowed back in at this time.

Thank you all for your prayers and please don't stop praying.

My cell phone service gave out about an hour ago so I haven't had any contact with my kids but earlier they said they were ok. One had power and one didn't.

Mary Jo, I'm glad you are settled in and ready.

Brenda, the stockings are very cute.

Ok, I think that's about it for now. I'll be back with more updates later.

Good Morning!

The lights are still on and the wind and rain are quiet! And I got more than 2 hours of sleep last night so I'm functioning a little better this morning.

I hope Mary Jo  and everyone else in Irma's path are doing ok.

Its still dark outside so I haven't seen how my neighborhood looks. The pictures on the news look bad but again its still dark, I'm sure it'll look different when the sun comes up. Schools are closed until further notice so I don't know when I'm going back to work.

My youngest daughter is part of the after storm team at her hospital and has to report to work by 10 am today. Either she or her hubby will dropping the baby off to me, I'm not sue if my son-in-law has to work today or if he is planning to take down shutters and start the clean up. They had a big tree in the front yard go down. They had a small pergola type structure covered with vines and flowers in the backyard that we called the fairy house, it collapsed and took the beautiful bougainvillea plant down with it. She couldn't see the rest of the yard because she was peeking through the shutters, hopefully there is no more damage. 

My oldest daughter is still at her in-laws about 10 minutes from me. They will need to head home about 1.5 hours north of here once the roads are clear. Hopefully their house did not receive any damage. They are in an evacuation zone because they are 6 miles from the coast and about 6 houses from the river on the other side. Their house is also a wood structure which don't always fair well in a major storm.

I was texting with the other 3 teachers on my team last night and everyone is ok, one person is without power.

Thank you all for your prayers! :ghug

I hope everyone has a great day.

I am also praying for those in FL and elsewhere. We have been without power since about midnight. We are just outside the evacuation line in Sebastian Fl and have had strong winds and rain since yesterday. It is starting to get better now. My son in law has the generator going and boy is that thing noisy.

Carol glad to hear your report and that you and your family are okay.  

sarisue glad to hear your report also.  I knew we had other 'villers to be concerned about but just didn't exactly know or remember who they were.  It is such a relief to hear people are ok.  

Sandra I was getting concerned about you, Lea, a friend I have at Cary, and one in GA when they  predicted it to stay strong and heading your way.  Glad it didn't.  

Now praying that Mary Jo and Tampa Guy are okay.  I was relieved to see on this mornings news that it was not near as bad in their area as was expected but until we hear from her I will worry.  

Good Morning.

Sarisue, I'm glad you are ok and I hope your power is back on soon.

Sandra, did you get a lot of rain? I'm praying you are all ok.

Hopefully we will hear from Mary Jo soon.

The police are allowing residents back into the upper Keys but have not been able to check the roads and bridges beyond that yet. There are also reports of possibly needing to evacuate up to 10,000 people who chose to stay in the lower Keys during the storm. The pictures that I have seen of the Keys are not good and I don't think we've seen the worse damaged areas yet.

We have a boil water order because 3 out of 5 city wells were damaged during the storm and there were multiple water main breaks in our city. They've lowered the water pressure while they fix the problems. I still haven't ventured beyond my neighborhood, I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet. I'm also concerned about getting around water and debris in my little car.

The school district superintendent was on the news yesterday and said "schools are closed until further notice, at least through Wednesday" so I will be home today and tomorrow, not sure where I'll be after that. The county below us has closed schools for the week and has not made decision about next week yet.

The airports are reopening this morning but there are still a lot of delays and cancellations.

My oldest daughter and her family drove home yesterday afternoon. She said north bound traffic was easy but south bound was starting to build and there were police directing traffic at the service plaza gas stations. She said their house is fine but they didn't have power, hopefully it is back on now. She said my 7 year old grandson sat down in front of the lego drawers and played there the rest of the day, I think he was relieved to be home.

I guess that's my update for the day, sorry this was soooooo long. I think I need for life to get some normalcy back into it.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Carol I am really glad for your updates.  Its hard to imagine that things could be cleaned up and fixed in time to open school this week but getting schools open will be a good step in moving towards normal.  I think I heard over 6 million without power in FL and nearly a million in GA.  The Keys look totally annihilated.  I dont see how anyone could have survived there if they stayed.  

good morning

looks like it wants to rain here,temps are mild,yesterday was a bit breezy

got an e mail from cousin in Tx. aunt in Fl. is okay,lost her carport,screened in lanai,without power for at least 7-10 days,she is on the east coast in Fort Pierce

Archived