Granny Squares for those that need them cal 2018

Katy thats what I used to use---plastic or teflon coated but mine never seemed to hold up very good.  I got sick of having to replace them all the time.  I had a set of teflon coated pans years ago but after the stuff started wearing off I went with cast iron, steel, and I don't know what those other old pans (maybe thick brushed aluminum) are but no more coatings on pans except the Foreman grill.  I have been eyeing an enameled cast iron pot but that stuff is getting awful heavy to lift---maybe if I was younger.  I have wondered about those new coated pans they advertise now but since teflon didn't work out just not suckering into it until I find someone that has actually used them.  Wish I hadn't messed up two of the pans in my stainless steel set by forgetting they were on the stove and boiling dry as I haven't found a suitable replacement for the set.  My little pressure cooker is in the attic as I only used it for canning, no electric frying pan, should use the crock pot more, stupid bread machine should go to the thrift store-----I can make bread faster and more to what we like using the kitchenade and the oven, at least I only gave $5 for it at a garage sale.  I sometimes think I would like one of those electric pressure cookers and a food processor but talk myself out of it.  I use the Foreman grill all the time mostly for chicken.  I love it for hamburger since you close it and I don't get grease splatter all over and the little grease burns from the splatter.  

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Friday! :dance

Mary Jo, why are you putting your head in the freezer?

I use my standing mixer a lot so it stays out on the counter. The toaster gets put in the pantry between uses. I don't have a dishwasher either because I didn't want to give up storage space. I could really use a new kitchen sink, mine is acrylic and is scratched up. Everything else in the kitchen is ok.

I'm back at my daughter's house for the night, we're doing a fundraiser walk early in the morning with a group from her job. Other than that I don't have any real plans for the rest of the weekend.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

brenda loloh yeah the bread maker went to donation years ago, and i have a foreman grill under there somewhere, i like it for less grease and would rather use that for meat anyway,.but handy uses the outside grill and he does most of the cooking, so it is under there with theblender, and fry pan, lol Carol, sounds like a busy and tiring day for you and dauhter tomorrow, good luck, have fun, drink water, lol  im up later than normal tonight i guess, just hot out,even though it is cool in here, im just not tired yet,lol had Handy help me empty one of those white drawer bin things on rollers out today, and move it out, just too much, and i reallydon't needit in thecraft room anymore.. I suppose once we redo the closet, i will miss it, thinking i could put it inthere,but thewheels don'twork well, onekeeps coming off, lol and part of theframe was cracked anyway,, so he put it out on the deck, and our neigbor  wsnted   it  for his shed so off it  went, I had just stored some yarn in it is all, and found other places to put that, that.. opened up some space too,so im ok with that,, 

well tomorrow will be a weekend day, nothing much going on here, i guess, kids mightdrop by, not sure, but we;ll see, lol all  for now, gonna watch some expedition unknown with josh gates, hope its not one i have already seen ol  see you all tomorrow, have a great weekend!! 

:rofl I wasn't really putting my head in the freezer, I looking at the ice and the maker, when I shook it, it echoed.

Another hot day and I just saw on the new that there are still people without electricity in Florida.  Those poor people.

Another trip to the grocery store today. Just to get a few things, especially for dinner.

Our neighbor has been fixing up the house, in fact, they got rid of the popcorn ceilings.  Turns out they are selling it.  They are now putting in flowers and such to make the front look good, but when you ride down the street, there is still hurricane debris from the hurricane in front of houses.  The county has not picked up anything yet.  I also still have my hibiscus laying on the hawthorn bushes.  I do wish them luck and hope we get nice neighbors.

The tote is almost done.  Working on the pocket today.

I have all plastic utensils, and I have a couple of metal spatulas for when I fry anything, the plastic tends to melt.

Well, off to the store and then do some stuff around the pool and then relax.

Have a great day everyone. 

Good morning,

I just realized that I didn't stop in yesterday. The fundraiser walk yesterday morning was fun but hot. Then I stopped at Joann's and came home and got busy with stuff around here. Today it'll be church and then home to do a little laundry and hopefully some stitching.

Have a great day everyone.

good morning

yes,I got lost elsewhere,there is a nice video about the person who started the kindness rock project,I'm amazed at how far some have travelled.

I found my first one at the library,it was a rose,it brightened my day.Its been in the 90's again here, Katy I don't get the yarn bombing,it does seem a waste of good yarn

have a great day

I love the painted rocks.  My little sister gave me one a long time ago and I do treasure it.  I was surprised to see this painted rock thing.  She would of loved this.

Good Morning everyone.  Just stopping in.  Today is Football and crocheting. 

Carol still empty shelves.  No crackers or paper towels.  Peanut butter is back, but limited.  I know there are people without power, so I understand completely.

Working on the pocket for the tote.

Have a great day. 

Hey Linda how does the rock thing work?  Do people paint them and leave them for others to find?  If you take one are you supposed to leave one?  Where are they being left?  Are the using any type of rocks?  I have seen polished agate slabs with intricate paintings for sale at the rock and gem show.  The rocks I have somewhere from years ago are smallish maybe 2 by 3 inches and  smooth from being tumbled in a river.  I think I have a book somewhere showing how to paint animals like a curled up cat on rocks large or small. 

Still hot here but I think a cold front is coming soon with some rain.  We were busy all day yesterday with bonsai and dinner with the group last night.  We got word our bonsai master and his family in Puerto Rico are okay.  They are at a shelter or bunker.  The only people with electricity are those eith generators.

Katy I dont get the yarn bombimg thing either but I dont really get abstract type art of any kind.  Here are the baby ghan pics.  Just the one is multi colored.  The others are solid pastel edged in white.

20170922_160311.thumb.jpg.febf8747977a1c1f6f32cab973358ed6.jpg

20170922_160901.thumb.jpg.99275e62b970ef3a9d1aa45419402470.jpg

And a scarf for PRR.

20170922_161150.thumb.jpg.4b9df7de27b2551db8d507062ac495dd.jpg

0hwow  bgs those are simply gorgeous ghans and your scarves are always so beauriful too love it all  thanks for sharing the pics and about what size did you make the ghans im working on one and dont know where to stop lol and that stitch is sooo very pretty what did you say it is called?? lol i love the pastels and the texture   just stunning work for sure!!

so glad to hear things are trying to return to normal and hope all the elec will be working very soon for the rest of florida  and texas im sure although i dont hear much about their recovery much anymore any one here that can fill us in on how that recovery is going?? 

ok over more than  half way through the 17 cds( im starting the 11th )  and im still awaiting the trial   Grisham  books are  always so involved im off in about 90 different senarios already lol  handy has read our first addition hard copy and wont tell me if im right or not on any of 0f my t heories lol as usually with Grisham im way off lol  ill just keep plugging away i guess as always im hooked lol

It rained a bit here a little while ago and still darkish out so more probably soon   

my all granny ghan is about 26 inches and im thinking about 5 or 6 more inches (32) might be ok what do you all think? i can do more but might have to use some white i guess with my pastels  

i started off wanting to use up a half of a big skein of caron one pounder in a very light pink lol and a couple odd partial balls of a baby colored skeins called lullabye course white and yellow i almost always have in stock mint and  well mission almost accomplished!!  lol

the rest of that piunk lol should do it  then ill call it done no matter what size it comes out some baby will get good use out of it im   sure  ha ha  

well back to the cd sheesh getting good now  jury selection has not even started yet though lol  we are still in the discovery mode with rounding up witnesses and changing up strategies     see you all later  :ghug  

Katy the ghans are 36 inches square.  Its called the blanket stitch found here.

https://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-blanket-stitch/

I initially worked in rows until it was the same length and width which I think was 31 inches using J hook. I then switched to an H hook and  continued on in the stitch pattern in rounds turning at the end of each round to use up the yarn as best I could and then switching to white.  Seems like each  took 3 (8oz) skeins of pastel and 1 (8oz) skein of white.

hi everyone where is every body?? lol  seems to be very sparse in posts lately    rainy here today dark and dank  good for the growing things out there though we wee getting very dry   Finished up all 16 cds on that Grisham novel and once more did not dissapoint with the ending  sheesh what a story lol  next up another fairly new one well was this past summer called The Whistler  also a handy hardback i think he got for either Christmas or Fathers day  and boasting another 5 stars by him as he has read i the hard way lol t  i will start those cds maybe tomorrow lol  I need a break to contemplate and digest the last one lol  im a bit sorry its done lol  

baby ghan almost done now ill try photo it for you all  its right at about 34 inches square and im calling it done lol  dont know yet if i edge it or not as doesnt really need it but ill decide tomorrow lol

nothing much else i guess so ill see you all later   :manyheart 

Hello,

Brenda, the afghans and scarf are so pretty.

Nothing exciting happening here, work, errands and paid bills. Maybe I'll do some stitching after dinner.

Have a great evening.

Absolutely no cell signal all day.  It usually at least blips in and out.  We spent the day mowing so was busy anyway.  Had a frozen pizza for supper.  I am ready for my chair and dh is heading out for training at the fire dept even though he is really tired too.

Thanks Katy.  I actually won two drawings on Ravelry ---One for sending squares to the Afghans for PRR and the other for stockings I made for W4W.  

Mary Jo so far so good Chiefs fans are hoping this is Andy's year.

Hi Tribble if you are out there somewhere.  Long time no see.  Watched the new Star Trek last night.  I hate that they showed the first episode on broadcast tv but from here on out its only available by subscription on the internet so I wont be seeing any more episodes.   

Carol are more kids making it back? How is clean up going? We arent hearing much.  I just cant imagine how they will clean up the Keys and what they will do with all the debris.

Yo! About to go to bed but I remembered I hadn't caught up on the Florida news.  Rey glad you are safe and sound Mary Jo. We were worries about you!

been a busy month with some trips with the in-laws. Quite fun but made some busy weekends. I finally got some cleaning done on Sunday, managed to vacuum the floors and the couch. It was enough, my allergies were in rough shape after. Guess I'll have to save the dusting to next weekend. 

But exciting news, my WIPs made it out of the closet tonight and I'm determined to get back to work! It's almost OCTOBER!! Yikes!

night ladies!

Good Morning everyone.  I am still trying to catch up on everything.  Brenda love the afghans and the scarf.  Congrats on winning the prize.

We broke down and bought a cell phone.  This hurricane proved to us, that we need one.  We were anxiously waiting and it came yesterday.  We turned it on and NOTHING!!!!!!!!!! So we called Veruzion to see what happened.  We were told alls you have to do when you get the phone is turn it one.  Nope, NADA, no way.  After about 1/2 an hour, then could not find out information, so they are sending us a new simcard and we should be good to go.  This we will get Wednesday.  We shall see.

We are still waiting for the tree people, but they are busy with emergencies, that is ok, as the hibiscus tree is still green and blooming and the birds do not seem to mind that the tree is split in 1/2.

Still trying to get the pocket done, hopefully today, so I can get the picture of the tote up tomorrow.

That is all for now.  Hope everyone has a great day and I hope to drop in again later.

Mary Jo cells are really nice if you are out and break down especially since they took out all the pay phones.  When we first  got ours mine was mostly used for dh to track me down when we were out places and got split up.   In fact most of the calls I got the first 5 years on it were collection agencies trying to track down the guy that had the number prior to me.  I really wasnt terribly attached to my phone until I finally got a smarter than me phone a couple of years ago and I use it a lot especially to access the internet. When dad was sick it was great to just text everyone at the same time instead of calling 15 people.  Its so much easier and faster for me to use it to snap photos of my projects and  post here.    Last year when I had my root canal I used the alarm on it to take my antibiotic at the right times as I get busy and forget. I also use use the calculator and calendar.  Its incredible all the things they can be used for if you can figure out how to do it.

Charis glad you checked in and back to your wips.

Krys when I get started on those stockings its hard for me to stop.  I find I dont want to work on anything else.  Its very satisfying to be able to complete them in such a short time.   Its been a great way to use up those little bits of yarn that wont hardly make rhe first round of a granny square and you can use any type yarn or sew them from fabric.  Ok now I am wanting to make more when I need to work on other things.

morning all  hi charis  good to see your post    wish lea and tribble would check in too!!  well my my ms brenda congrats twice what was your finak total for the stockings  u know you must have made a million lol

owlvamp you must be a white torbado these days rumbling through each room!!Carol by the time you get back to being at work again the will come Chrustmas vacation lo

l  cany wait to see the new tote Mary jo  also sorry about your phone not working im glad you are getting one though  we each had one a while back but in time figured it was not ab expense we needed nor used often enough so we cut  them  but intyour case i see the need for it and glad you are getting one     

well wh 

at else  i guess that about it for now but ill be back later  pine knot how is son in law? 

Archived