Encouragement for Making Gifts, 2016 version ;)

judianne

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS I just want to say what a big help it is to share the process of these projects with you. I can't talk to others about them as they are gifts and my DH is supportive but... It's just not the same, ya know? It's really been motivating and I'm thankful that for this community.

:hug so thanks!

You're more than welcome! The ladies here have always asked to keep this thread going...so...a pat on the back for you for keeping at it!

Here's the start of the Harry Potter blanket. I have about a zillion ends to weave in!

Try and weave in as you get a batch of rows finished....the voice of a lesson learned here!

Love the harry potter blanket. Someday i am going to learn how to make a graphghan.

My next thing tontry and learn is filet crochet .,, after i get the shark blankets done! Time to give those anotger shot.

Start with a small tote bag or something. Making a 12 inch square with maybe a heart on it...something simple, till you get in the rhythm, Some people are never comfortable with graphs, yet their other work is absolutely amazing and more than I can ever hope to accomplish!

I have a question on the graph afghans . Wouldn't it be better to put a piece of fabric sewn to the back to hide all the yarn tails and save tons of time from weaving them in.? Just a thought.

Short answer: no. If you don't weave them in and the blanket is washed the part where you joined new colors will loosen up and your hard work will start ti unravel and loose it's definition. I do know of some people who wove in the ends and then put a pretty fabric on the back side just so they could cover the wrong side of the ghan. If you do that make sure you wash the fabric first in case it shrinks.

Well done to both! The tail is great, that is so nice of you!

And the hat is adorable! Very nice!

I have finished stitching the doily for my upcoming auction basket. It is blocking now in the picture below. I'm now back to work on the squares. Working on green now! Done 7/37.

Here's the start of the Harry Potter blanket. I have about a zillion ends to weave in!

Fabulous work girls!!!!

I have a question on the graph afghans . Wouldn't it be better to put a piece of fabric sewn to the back to hide all the yarn tails and save tons of time from weaving them in.? Just a thought.

My experience was they were harder to weave in because they came in the middle not at the end of rows with all the color changes, often for just a couple of stitches and thus securing them was often even more of a challenge.  However if not secured and done well they will pull out or pop out thus creating a mess.  My suggestion is to secure them after finishing a section to keep it from being a project that comes all at the end.  I am not a fan of the weaving, but it is easier done in small batches than facing a blanket needing tons of weaving.

The only point I will make is make sure the section is era free.  I've done that and lived to regret it.

Love the harry potter blanket. Someday i am going to learn how to make a graphghan.

My next thing tontry and learn is filet crochet .,, after i get the shark blankets done! Time to give those anotger shot.

There are some cute potholders/dishcloths that make great practice projects for graphs.  Honestly you make a mistake, it's hardly the end of the world.  It's still a functional dishcloth or potholder that will get dirty anyways.  However, in the process you get the practice of reading the graph and changing the stitches.

My experience was they were harder to weave in because they came in the middle not at the end of rows with all the color changes, often for just a couple of stitches and thus securing them was often even more of a challenge.  However if not secured and done well they will pull out or pop out thus creating a mess.  My suggestion is to secure them after finishing a section to keep it from being a project that comes all at the end.  I am not a fan of the weaving, but it is easier done in small batches than facing a blanket needing tons of weaving.

The only point I will make is make sure the section is era free.  I've done that and lived to regret it.

Yup....making sure you've counted correctly for several rows before weaving in is vital. Sometimes if it doesn't affect the image I will either decrease or increase on a row instead of frogging. Lazy, I know...but it works ;) And if you only have a couple of stitches of one color before changing again, don't cut it, just work over it till it's needed again.  Potholders are excellent to start with.

I should have been weaving in as I went, but I was getting so overwhelmed that I decided to leave it until the end. And I know now that I could have done more carrying colors than I did. It's all good, though, and I'm learning. I have to say, I was very intimidated by the graph idea but decided that the worst thing that happened was I messed it all up and had to either start over or move on.

The rest of the squares in the blanket are much less complicated - and smaller! Although, I will be making another of the crest because I don't think I'll get away with making one for the oldest and not the youngest!

Everything has been put aside till the tote is done.

You really are ambitious with the afghan.  I would make it a pillow and call it a day.

Everyone is really doing great.  I stop in here everyday to get encouragement, even though things are slow right now.

Everything has been put aside till the tote is done.

You really are ambitious with the afghan.  I would make it a pillow and call it a day.  LOL!

Everyone is really doing great.  I stop in here everyday to get encouragement, even thou things are slow right now.

Still feeling sore? Take it slow..... :hug

Can't wait to see the tote!!

In other news, I'm officially on winter break from school for the week! You know what that means! Unlimited time to crochet! Limited only by my hands and wrists. Haha

Hi everyone, been gone for a couple of days.  Not going anything, as the shoulder still hurts, but I know I have to keep it moving.

Here are the wrist rattles I made.

attachicon.gifsp Wrist Rattles.JPG  All close-ups

Those are so cute. I what a great way to use up scraps. I think those would be a good donation item for the local pregnancy resource center. Off to look for patterns.....

Mermaid tail for my coworkers granddaughter

Here is Thomas the Train hat for grandson's birthday today.

I also made him a Mickey Mouse cinch sack too. Need to get pictures of that.

Well done to both! The tail is great, that is so nice of you!

And the hat is adorable! Very nice!

I have finished stitching the doily for my upcoming auction basket. It is blocking now in the picture below. I'm now back to work on the squares. Working on green now! Done 7/37.

Very nice projects!

Archived