Does Crocheting make you look old?

I was told that I should stop crocheting because it makes me look old when I do it. Wel crochet makes me feel l strong, creative and young. As I crochet I think of the recipient of the project (most of my project are for gifts) and I think of how they will enjoy it. Crochet makes me fell young and have a long future.

How do you feel when you crochet?

Only being old makes you look old lol!

I'm getting there.... :lol:lol

Look at the ages of some of the new people... in their 20's... I think it's great! My friend is teaching a 3yo that she babysits to crochet!

My sixteen-year-old is learning to crochet and she took her project to school with her one day during finals to work on in class when she finished her exam. The other kids all seemed to find it intriguing. :)

I don't care whether I look 30 or 60... I crochet because I love it. I love making things for my girls, my family and friends and even for I've never met before. It's Age and Time which make you look old, not what you are doing with your hands. :D

I also tend to think about the person I'm crocheting for :)

I've heard about that stereotype of only elderly ladies (and mothers-to-be) crocheting, but I haven't heard any such comments myself, so I haven't felt old, at least not yet. Usually, when people see my crocheting they're interested and I have had only pleasant experiences so far.

I have never been told that and actually that is the first time I have heard someone say that.

Doesn't make me look old (but then again, neither does wearing miniskirts and 4 1/2 " spike heels, even at my age, LOL).

It still amazes me that people open mouth before thinking. Just crochet away and enjoy and tough to those who don't.

LI Roe

I think there is a stereotype and it is sad. There is a knitting and crochet group for charity that only meets in the mornings for charity work. The stereotype is that only the older retired people would want to participate. The younger people would not be interested.

I ignore the stereotypes and crochet what I enjoy. I rarely worry about what people think. I often find it easier to go my own route and thus ignore the efforts to comply to the stereotypes.

there still is a bit of stereo typing. I enter a fair every year, and every year its older ladies who run it, all they know is granny squares. So last year we (my dd--she's 14 and advanced crocheter) found the lady in charge. We started telling her about some of the awesome categories that they should have. She had no idea about any of them. She even asked if younger people would enjoy doing them. We told her "of course" because its the new thing. we are finding that some of the younger kids are now crocheting and knitting at dance classes as they wait for their classes. Its nice to see.

I'd tell them - Nope! The smile I get on my face when I am crocheting takes years off my real age - so if I don't crochet imagine how reeeeeeeally old I will look! LOL!

I was told that I should stop crocheting because it makes me look old when I do it. Wel crochet makes me feel l strong, creative and young. As I crochet I think of the recipient of the project (most of my project are for gifts) and I think of how they will enjoy it. Crochet makes me fell young and have a long future.

This is not your problem it is theirs.

Do they think we all started crocheting now or did most of us learn when we were young?

I learned when I was 7 which is very young and now I am 70, I am still doing it.

Does that make me feel old?

No, looking in the mirror makes me feel old but as long as I keep them all covered, I am young.

Maybe if anyone else says that to you, you can smile sweetly and ask them if they would like to learn to crochet so they could feel for themselves how young it makes you feel.

I have never ever had anyone say anything about age when I am sitting in the mall with my knitting/crochet group.

We range from early 40s to early 90s with quite a few of us in our 70s.

Enjoy and wear earplugs so you don't have to listen to silly comments.

Have fun.

Colleen

It's always unbelieveable what people say when they see one doing yarnwork in public. :think I've gotten:

1) That's for old ladies! (which is silly, because I'm one of the oldest members of my SnB group)

2) How do you have the patience?

3) Where do you find the time? (the insinuation being that I'm wasting my time--these are generally the same people who can spend 8 hours playing video games or Farmville on Facebook)

4) Why are you doing it like that? (no matter what the technique, everybody always has a better idea on how you should do it)

It's always unbelieveable what people say when they see one doing yarnwork in public. :think I've gotten:

1) That's for old ladies! (which is silly, because I'm one of the oldest members of my SnB group)

2) How do you have the patience?

3) Where do you find the time? (the insinuation being that I'm wasting my time--these are generally the same people who can spend 8 hours playing video games or Farmville on Facebook)

4) Why are you doing it like that? (no matter what the technique, everybody always has a better idea on how you should do it)

Oh...this is so true! Especially number 2 and 3! I hear those all the time.

#2 doesn't bother me because there are some skills that amaze me and I really don't have the patience, the skill, or the abilities to manage them. When someone thinks I actually have patience it surprises me.:lol:lol:lol

I love going to craft fairs and seeing the work that I can't do.

As for 3 & 4 I find there are lots of petty people in the world. Most people can find time it just means sacrificing from something else they do. For instance spending time harrassing you about the time you are spending crocheting.;) I find envy to be a very nasty posion in the world.

There are plenty of polite ways to offer help if you think someone needs it or you think there might be an easier approach to what they are attempting. If you can't find a polite way, it is often best to say nothing. I've got a modified knife hold and it works for me. After seeing my Mom pick up a crochet hook for the first time in my life and watching her I finally understand the pencil hold. I've tried it a few times and while I can finally do it, I still crochet better with my modified knife hold. It doesn't need fixing despite what others might believe.

That's a load of baloney, if you ask me! I've been crocheting since I was a teenager, and now that I'm in my mid/upper 20's, I have more and more friends who are my age asking me to teach them to crochet. Crafting in general is making a huge comeback, and for those who thing it's an "old ladies' hobby", they're just going to miss out.

That's a load of baloney, if you ask me! I've been crocheting since I was a teenager, and now that I'm in my mid/upper 20's, I have more and more friends who are my age asking me to teach them to crochet. Crafting in general is making a huge comeback, and for those who thing it's an "old ladies' hobby", they're just going to miss out.

I agree. Needle arts and anything DIY and handmade is making a HUGE comeback. And with tutorials and lessons so accessible (and free of charge on YouTube), crochet has really made a huge comeback!

All that I could crochet when I was young was chains...learned around 7...from my grandma. I wish I had stuck with it more. I feel like I have missed out on years of joy that I now get from crochet.

The only thing that makes me feel old is my slower metabolism, arthritis and gray hair sprouting out on my head...I'm only 35. lol

People sure don't make "old comments" to me, especially if they want me to make them something! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl I'm pretty outspoken.

I have never gotten that. I have known several teenages who crocheted, I even had a friend who made everyone beenies! I mostly get people who are interested and think what I am doing is nice. I believe making something, at any age, is something worth being proud of doing.

I agree. Needle arts and anything DIY and handmade is making a HUGE comeback. And with tutorials and lessons so accessible (and free of charge on YouTube), crochet has really made a huge comeback!

All that I could crochet when I was young was chains...learned around 7...from my grandma. I wish I had stuck with it more. I feel like I have missed out on years of joy that I now get from crochet.

The only thing that makes me feel old is my slower metabolism, arthritis and gray hair sprouting out on my head...I'm only 35. lol

People sure don't make "old comments" to me, especially if they want me to make them something! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl I'm pretty outspoken.

Yep the only thing that makes me feel old are the aches and pains...I am only 35 but I feel older!

I don't feel or look old but my number tells the truth. But I am not a numbers person, except when I am counting stitches. And that number is in the trillions. I love crocheting and I love making things that I know others will use.

I was not complaining so much as I was just wondering about others feelings.:hug

Archived