Does Crocheting make you look old?

i have never heard anything negative. Most often, they are fascinated to watch my fingers fly along, and want to know how. I have taught many people to crochet over the years, and they in turn, have taught many others. If I would indeed hear something negative, I may be inclined to ask what their hobby might be, and how they feel while doing it, do they feel old?? Or do they feel a sense of accomplishment, a relaxed calm, or a lightness of heart in the creation of something someone somewhere will cherish? Conversation closed, back to the stitching!;)

I learned to crochet as a child. I got the comment once as a child, "I thought only old ladies did that!". My sis and I both liked needlework, sewing, and having our noses in books. Mama always said "I raised two little grandmothers!".

It doesn't really bother me what others think. I do what I enjoy!

I have never been called old (52 next month). My sister showed me how to make granny squares at age 9 (10 :think?). I made a lopsided square, but kept at it until I got it right. Around age 13 I got my first 2 crochet books from my grandmother and have been :crocheting ever since. Basically, I'm self taught. I've even designed afghans/toys/squares. I enter contests and had a winning square published in a book. If we'd waited until we were "old Ladies (men)" to start :crocheting, we wouldn't have enough years left to do all that.

Ellie 13

At 43 I certainly don't consider myself old! But I used to be worried that if I was to crochet or knit in public I'd be perceived that way.. now I just don't care and will get my hook/needles out anywhere and everywhere!

As for the 'where do you find the time?' comments - I usually come back with "I don't bother with housework" because that is usually what they're hinting at anyway! Usually stumps them :) And anyway, it's true, I do as little of that as I can get away with - no one's last words were "I wish I'd done more housework"!

I have crocheted since I was 7;   when I have taken my work with

sometimes people come up and make a comment ;

or tell me they like what I am making

maybe the other person is jealous because you can do it and they

can't

don't worry what other people think of you .

it is your stress reliver too. 

tell them that .

tell them  ; that if they think that then  look away . lol ;  hugs

We were discussing this at my knit/crochet group on Monday.  One of our members is 19 and her friends are giving her a hard time because of her hobby.  I told her it was time for a new group of friends.  True friends would be supportive even if the hobby is not what they are interested in.  I don't like the little old lady with 15 cats and the rocking chair crocheting granny squares and doilies mentality that is sometimes associated with this hobby.  I am 42,

It doesn't make me feel old, it makes me feel useful, creative, happy, relaxed, inspired,   

Not that it really matters, but I'd like to know the age of the person who made the comment that crocheting makes you look old...jeez.  I started knitting when I was 9/10 and crocheting when I was 11.  Throughout my life I've always made things, crocheted, knitted, sewed...it didn't matter.  Never had anyone comment on my age about these things...worse that was ever said to me was, "Must be nice to have the time..." but that really is the other person's problem and not mine...

If you love to crochet, crochet...let whatever rude or otherwise negative comments fall away...

I never gave it any thought, and no one's ever told me I look old crocheting (or knitting). Hmmm... :think   I guess some people are just used to seeing their grandparents or great grandparents doing things like that, and they probably think that the "younger" generation is just too busy with other things to get involved in it.

Like many others, I learned to crochet when I was a little girl. I got more "serious" about it in my late teens. So it doesn't seem odd to me at all to see people of any age crocheting.

I feel bad for those who have received almost negative perceptions about what they like to do. :ohdear Because I do it because it makes me happy, it relaxes me, and I like to make special things for special people. :)

Just keep doing what you do, and tune out anyone making you feel bad about it. :tup

To eurolyons he is 2 years older than me. 

It's only been in the last decade that I started hearing other people say that others have made such unkind or thoughtless remarks in regards to handwork, crochet in particular.  It just was never said when I was growing up and even in the '80's when it seems like any kind of domestic skill were frowned upon  because a woman should be out working a job and bringing home money...not that that stopped those of us from knitting, sewing, crocheting and cooking, etc...but no one ever seemed to make the comments about, "it makes you look old" or "that's for granny's..."  I have a theory that because there seems to be a generation or maybe two that grew up not really learning some domestic arts like I did, that they simply can't relate and when they see someone their age engaged in an activity that they might consider "a lost art" then the comments flow.

There are some people too, that might be jealous of the time we put into what we do.  Some people really want all the attention on them.  I can get so caught up in what I'm doing that when my husband first saw me working on my stuff, he'd say, "are you at a good place to stop so I can read this to you..."

In the 80's when I sewed more than crocheted, the worst remarks that I got were from other women...never men.  Men seemed to like what I was doing, maybe because they were a little frightened and threatened by the sheer numbers of women in the work force and women expecting more from men at home.  So if they saw me crocheting or sewing on breaks or lunch, they were more positive to what I was doing...Women, on the other hand, they might like what I was doing, but that's when I'd get the comments of "It must be NICE to have the time...I'm too busy, I don't have the patience...blah, blah, blah..."  Whatever...it never, ever stopped me from wanting to make things,   Never made me put my hook or needle(s) down.  I always said back then that I would "steal" time to work on whatever.  What did slow me down though was when I got a divorce...it didn't stop me, but it did slow me down...recovery took about a decade.  But that's me.

I have reflected on some of my prejudices of what other people like or don't like, what they watch on tv, what they engage in...I don't get Monster Truck rallies for example...I sew, but I don't do quilting, anything, but quilting.  I hate reality-based tv.  But I try to remember, like with quilting, that the people who do like it, it might be their passion and they aren't engaged in a criminal actitivity and I would never want to even imply a negative towards someone who quilts because I wouldn't want to mess with their process...it takes over a 1,000 'yeses" to overcome one single thoughtless 'no.'

I just turned 58; so; I guess I am old; at lest I feel it ; ha

I will do my needlework as long as the  Good Lord will

allow me to :vheart :vheart :spin

Archived