Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so that star stitch in that slipper is a bit complex...my friend wants black and I am NOT learning a new stitch on black yarn     so I found a pattern that's just a basic slipper in hdc, I can do that!  I did bookmark that link though because I think I can do it with a lighter yarn.

It's funny, when I was younger I used to be like "whats the big deal?  why does everyone hate on black yarn?"  now, I get it...without any shadow/contrast you can't see your stitches!!!  My poor eyes 

I thought the same thing! And then I turned 30... My eyes just said "nope, I'm done!"  :haha

Day 3 of school went a little smoother and I'm not quite as tired as the past 2 days. I was going to stay late to get some things done but the weather was looking and sounding nasty and I needed to stop for some groceries. The stores may get start getting a little crazy too with Erika looking like she may head our way, I really hope she doesn't, so I wanted to get what I needed. I'm still working on afghans for the grandkids. I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm glad today went better! I know as a student, I always started to feel better about things around day 3 as well! Hope they're even better tomorrow and that Erika takes a big right-hand turn back into the ocean. 

Well I heard from Craftsy today and they told me to keep the yarn they sent and they'll send the right thing out ASAP, thank goodness. Now I just need to figure out what to do with 200 yards of wool/silk blend. And I made lots of progress on the baby blanket, got 2.5 rounds from being done with the border... and ran out of blue.  :angry Since drop off for the county fair is tomorrow afternoon, I'll be running to Joann's when they open and rushing back home to finish it. What is it with me and running out a couple feet from the end lately??  :no Sheesh. 

Okay bedtime so I can get up and to Joann's and still make it to drop off for the fair! Talk to you all tomorrow!  :)

Good morning Ladies! I hope everyone is well! I've been away again for a few days, I know, sorry about that. I've been trying to get a friend of mine to come get her stuff, and she just isn't doing it. So I'm still tripping over her things trying to organize a craft area, well, yarn and thread area really, for me. Other than that, I've slowly been working on my scarf. Its maybe a third or fourth of the way done...along with the never-ending granny afghan I'm trying to make for my son. That almost seems to be going faster, but I'm not sure...I'm still slow at crocheting LOL

Well, enough about me! I hope everyone has a lovely day and ill see you soon!

I'd like you all to meet the newest member of my cro-fam...

attachicon.gif11903923_10153524785933449_2280091250919247672_n.jpg

Isn't he cute?  I couldn't find a pattern I liked so I took bits and pieces from various patterns and came up with this...I'm quite proud of myself  :yes

My friend asked me to make her a scarf and slippers...scarf is easy enough but I've never made slippers...but I figure if I can tackle an elephant, slippers should be cake, right?  But if you have any patterns you especially like, I'd appreciate the help.

how very clever, and so cute!!!!!!!!!!!

Cute elephant.

Brenda, Rudy is as ornery as ever, gets into everything (which is not so fun when you've been painting the house lol) but I love having him around. Makes it not quite so lonely since my friend is no longer in my life. 

I have decided to make the Pastor's afghan 3 x 4 squares instead of 4x4.. Maybe an easier size since she doesn't get around as much and I was running low on the Blue Suede yarn I had. I will take the other 3 (I was 1 short anyway) and make some pillows or add to another ghan. Thank you all for the help. I have 2 left to attach and then border and will give it Sunday. 

yay!!! show us a pic....

In between I learned the Celtic weave stitch. I love the look of it but obviously need to be able to concentrate more on the next project as I frogged a LOT. lol  http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155227-celtic-weave-pillow/

Here's a blurry pic of Rudy checking out the finished pillow I made. 

Hope you are all well. I'll post a pic of the ghan when I finish it up. 

Oh Rudy and pillow, same colors, love it!!!

Hi everyone!  :waving  :hi  :heart

hi ya glitter!!

I think I'm going to use this pattern for the slippers:

http://www.myhobbyiscrochet.com/2014/11/starlight-women-slippers-free-crochet.html

they just look so comfy cozy

nice!!

Ok, so that star stitch in that slipper is a bit complex...my friend wants black and I am NOT learning a new stitch on black yarn  :no   so I found a pattern that's just a basic slipper in hdc, I can do that!  I did bookmark that link though because I think I can do it with a lighter yarn.

It's funny, when I was younger I used to be like "whats the big deal?  why does everyone hate on black yarn?"  now, I get it...without any shadow/contrast you can't see your stitches!!!  My poor eyes  :loco

hehe hehe, me the same way, almost can't work with any really dark colors now, but got an ott light, it helps  but still it is hard on the eyes,...

Hello everyone!

I love my Ott light when I'm stitiching, I've also found that laying a white towel on my lap when I'm working with black yarn makes it a little easier to see the stitches.

Everyone I work with seems to think they will be sleeping in on Monday because schools will be closed for Erika but I'm hoping they're wrong, I don't want a storm  :no

I hope everyone has a wonderful evening.

Got my rental car...FINALLY!  ugh...had to talk to the manager for the claim adjuster at AAA yesterday (it had been a week without my car already) then today when Enterprise finally called me, they had me down at a discounted rate and I'm like "NO!  AAA is supposed to cover it, why should I pay when I'm not at fault?"  So I had to talk to his supervisor (I feel like I need one of those 'mom' haircuts) and it turns out they just looked at the wrong reservation number...I'm exhausted.  I also had AAA go ahead and add rental coverage to my policy when it renews next month...I thought I had it already but not...

In other news...JoAnn's has a 20%off entire purchase coupon that's good through Saturday...may have to take advantage of that!  Now that we're back in the triple digits I can't walk over there so good thing I got that fancy car (It's really nice!  If gas wasn't so expensive, I'd just go for a cruz and crank the AC)

Hey gals, popping in to say I got the comfortghan done for Pastor and his Mrs. You can see here http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155239-friendship-turned-comfortghan/

Thank you all SO MUCH.  I made a pillow to go with it. I also took heart shaped notepad and wrote everyone's name and state on their square that they sent so they would know where they all came from. You girls rock.  :ty

Hello everyone!

I love my Ott light when I'm stitiching, I've also found that laying a white towel on my lap when I'm working with black yarn makes it a little easier to see the stitches.

Everyone I work with seems to think they will be sleeping in on Monday because schools will be closed for Erika but I'm hoping they're wrong, I don't want a storm  :no

I hope everyone has a wonderful evening.

I really want an Ott light! I bought one for my dad's girlfriend but don't have one for myself. And the white towel is genius! Between the two, I'd probably manage okay. 

Got my rental car...FINALLY!  ugh...had to talk to the manager for the claim adjuster at AAA yesterday (it had been a week without my car already) then today when Enterprise finally called me, they had me down at a discounted rate and I'm like "NO!  AAA is supposed to cover it, why should I pay when I'm not at fault?"  So I had to talk to his supervisor (I feel like I need one of those 'mom' haircuts) and it turns out they just looked at the wrong reservation number...I'm exhausted.  I also had AAA go ahead and add rental coverage to my policy when it renews next month...I thought I had it already but not...

In other news...JoAnn's has a 20%off entire purchase coupon that's good through Saturday...may have to take advantage of that!  Now that we're back in the triple digits I can't walk over there so good thing I got that fancy car (It's really nice!  If gas wasn't so expensive, I'd just go for a cruz and crank the AC)

I just put that coupon to use this morning! Made my $9.99 LB Pound of Love $6 and change since it was already on sale.  :cheer I'm glad you've got your rental car straightened out so you're at least not stuck in the house when it's 100 degrees outside. 

Hey gals, popping in to say I got the comfortghan done for Pastor and his Mrs. You can see here http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155239-friendship-turned-comfortghan/

Thank you all SO MUCH.  I made a pillow to go with it. I also took heart shaped notepad and wrote everyone's name and state on their square that they sent so they would know where they all came from. You girls rock.  :ty

:manyheart

i finally got my baby blanket finished this afternoon after and emergency trip to Joann's this morning. I got Starbucks on the way home though, so that helped! I posted pictures over here in Show and Tell. Just between us, I accidentally switched the colors when I started, but I'm still really happy with how it turned out!  :yes  

Now I'm working on a rug with t-shirt yarn I bought at the tent sale over the summer. I think it will wind up being one of those decorative only, use on carpet rugs but we'll see how it goes. 

Today I got Uncle Sam and the baby blanket dropped off at the County Fair and tomorrow we're having lunch with DH's mom and going to the outlets for the afternoon. We're planning on going to the fair on Sunday with Sister and Peanut. Hopefully I can stand waiting that long to see how I did!  :D

Oh! I had a puffy from bgs when I checked the mail this afternoon! Two beautiful squares for my ghan and that brings me to only needing 4 more! It'll be a monster when I get it finished!  :) The light in here really stinks but they're purple and teal in real life! Thank you, Brenda!  :hug

post-11765-0-90717600-1440735918_thumb.jpg

Okay it's bedtime for me! I need my rest for tomorrow for sure!  ;) Goodnight all! 

yarn_monkey glad you got the squares,

My dad went into the hospital Wed --low hemoglobin, dehydrated. low potassium, which may be why he is very weak, can't stand up, somewhat confused and disoriented.  The dr we saw today recommended hospice, stopping cancer treatment, deactivating his pace maker and trying to make him comfortable (he has been in a lot of pain most all summer). 

Good Morning everyone. Its a great morning so far. It is 7:10 am. Drinking my coffee. And going to get starting crocheting on my projects.  Just wanted to let you all know I have been walking and feeling real good. Thanks for all the prayers. I love you all. :ghug

Love Arlene :ty  Being my friends.

Good Morning everyone. Its a great morning so far. It is 7:10 am. Drinking my coffee. And going to get starting crocheting on my projects.  Just wanted to let you all know I have been walking and feeling real good. Thanks for all the prayers. I love you all. :ghug

oh great arlene, good to hear that!!!   sometimes, when i am down or not feeling particularaly ambitious, lol doing for others helps me pull out of that slump, hope your good health continues well into the furture!!!

wel ladies, my day so far, has been very trying for the most part, with all the rain we have had in the last two days, (at least 7 and a half inches in my rain gauge!! it has been difficult to plan any outings or errands, least we get caught in a flooded passage way, or  lane closure, not to mention being pelted with a cold hard rain......

The rain also, made its way in, via the furnace chiMMINY pipe roof side, and continued its menancing journey, till it shorted out something on the furnac/ unit requiring a new part, and a trip to THe  electrical supply store, for the part needed, anD Home depo, for the material  and tar to patch the leak..... Then discovered, internet and the phones out, due to a very possibe  lighting strike overnight, a run to a neighbors to report thosee outages and while , waitting from 1 to 6 for thservice man to come, while we waited, handyman fixed the ac/and furnace problem, and has to wait till the rain stops, to get up on the roof, and tar  around the chiminy pipe, the rest of the day wasn't much better, but i am counting some good things too,

1. the ac and furnace unit is all fixed, and thank goodness it was somethin handyman could do,there is not much thank goodness, that he  cant and wont tackle, lol  and didn't cost an arm and a leg for the part....

2. while on the home depot run, i managed to swing by the post office, and after a 25 minute stand in line, I finally  got those puffys in the mail to you five lucky ladies, (sopo, arlene, sharbysyd, l, and pineknott and owlvamp, if memory serves me correctly..

3. Phones are back, new "card" im told the brains of the system, was replaced in the outside box, at no cost to us, and       th e internet is up and running again, lol, oh,the leak is now sealed, oh,  and the girl at the Mcdonalds here, messed up my order,even after three tries but the good thing to come out outof that the manager, gave it to me free for all the trouble, and , at least we didn't cook tonight,lol....other than that, typical tuesday at its ornery best for sure......... COMeE ON WEDNESDAY!!!! :clapNikki, that is a gorgous uncle sam ghan, good luck at the fair girl, i know you'll win a ribbon, what a lot of work!

everything is all well now though, and i hope yarnmonkey wins that blue ribbon!!!this was posted aug 8 or 9, me thinks, sorryabout that ladies,,,,,,,,,,there are good days, and then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

yarn_monkey glad you got the squares,

My dad went into the hospital Wed --low hemoglobin, dehydrated. low potassium, which may be why he is very weak, can't stand up, somewhat confused and disoriented.  The dr we saw today recommended hospice, stopping cancer treatment, deactivating his pace maker and trying to make him comfortable (he has been in a lot of pain most all summer). 

Oh, Brenda, I am so sorry!  :hug Prayers for your dad and family.  :heart Please keep us updated. 

Glad you're feeling better!  :hug

Quick check in tonight. I have to be up at 6 to go to the out of town funeral so I need to get to bed. DH and I had a good day out with his mom today. I found a spiralizer attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer at the kitchen store in the outlet mall so I can't wait to try it out! And I got a big marble type paper towel holder. The one we had was metal and had 3 feet and every time you pulled off a paper towel, the stupid thing fell over and I was ready to smash it. 

I'm hoping to get to the fair tomorrow between the funeral and the football game DH will have to watch but it probably will be Sunday before I can get there. Too bad because the not knowing is killing me!  :D

Has anyone heard from Viking lately? I just thought about her and it's been a while! 

Okay off to bed. Hope everyone had a good Friday! 

Hi Everyone,   I wanted to stop by and say thank you to all the ladies who have sent me squares.  I recently received some lovely squares from Katie and from Just Add Glitter.   Thank you ladies so much.   If I can remember how to put pics up, I will post them here.  

These are from Katie

post-41725-0-60892200-1440881518_thumb.jpgpost-41725-0-72046800-1440881530_thumb.jpg

post-41725-0-42356300-1440881543_thumb.jpgpost-41725-0-43388000-1440881553_thumb.jpg

This one is from Just Add Glitter

post-41725-0-00775700-1440881629_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much.   I hope that everyone is doing well.   I've been getting through as best as I can.  We've been very busy with work and are planning to move to another state so it's been pretty busy.  I'm not sure exactly when we will be moving but hopefully within a year.   We've had enough of Buffalo and these winters.  

I'd also like to post pics of some other squares I received earlier this month.  I thanked the senders privately in a message but I didn't post the pics so I thought that would be nice to do at this time.   

These are from Brenda (bgs)  post-41725-0-48818100-1440882442_thumb.jpg

and these are from cshort    post-41725-0-85763900-1440882525_thumb.jpg

Thank you again ladies.  I love every one of them.  

hi ya sharon,welxome back to the ole homesead, fix yourself a cup a coffee, and relax, lol,

Course you are welcome for rhe squares, they were fun to do in those colors!!! you have a lot of lovley squares there, those gals do great work,!!! thanksfor posting the eye candy, lol we were gettingwithdrawl symptoms,lol........we love eye candy! :ty  :clap

Hi Everyone,   I wanted to stop by and say thank you to all the ladies who have sent me squares.  I recently received some lovely squares from Katie and from Just Add Glitter.   Thank you ladies so much.   If I can remember how to put pics up, I will post them here.  

These are from Katie

attachicon.gif004.JPGattachicon.gif005.JPG

attachicon.gif006.JPGattachicon.gif007.JPG

This one is from Just Add Glitter

attachicon.gif118.JPG

Thank you so much.   I hope that everyone is doing well.   I've been getting through as best as I can.  We've been very busy with work and are planning to move to another state so it's been pretty busy.  I'm not sure exactly when we will be moving but hopefully within a year.   We've had enough of Buffalo and these winters.  

Lovely squares! One of these days I'll get caught up on sending mine out.  :reyes  I can't say I blame you for wanting to leave those winters behind! I'm surprised you're dug out from this past winter! Any idea where you're planning to move?

Well I made it up and out to the funeral bright and early. It was my best friend since kindergarten's father and she needed the moral support so she asked me to go with her. I was more than happy to do it! She's one of those friends that we can go months without speaking and it's like we never stopped. Her mom took us out to lunch after the funeral and then I came home and took a nap. We ordered pizza for dinner and ate while we watched football and I've just been working on this rug till bedtime, which is coming very very soon!  :yes

Tomorrow the fair opens at 1 and DH, Sister and I plan on being there at 1:01! Lol! I'll hopefully be updating my show and tell post with pictures of a ribbon or two and I'll post here and let you all know what happened. 

I hope everyone is having a good weekend! I'll be back tomorrow!  :)

Archived