Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

owlvamp  :hug  :hug I hope things are better for you soon.  

cshort seems like you have completed a lot of sewing projects in your time off.  Have fun with those grandkids!

yarn_monkey glad your hearing is coming back

katy what projects are you thinking about now that you're feeling better?  I liked it better when I had that sack of yarn that I finally designated to work into hats.  Until the sack was empty I knew what to grab next to work on.  I have Aug puffies ready to go to the PO next week.   I have made a watermelon and apple hotpad for my niece and if I make her a snowman one for Jan she should have all the seasons, holidays covered.  Little did I know last year when I made the Christmas lights and jack o lanterns that it was going to lead to coming up with a different one for nearly every month.  I need to spend a day going  through my aunt's boxes again.  I pretty much have assembled all the squares.  Now to figure out what to do with the other afghans she started.  I don't think any of them are terriblly far along so I may have to pull them apart.  Even if I figured out the patterns she was left handed and I am right handed.  

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone. I got a couple newborn hats done a lady wanted but not sure I'm happy with the pom pom on one. It's huge like she wanted but I had hoped it would end up fuller. Oh well, she loved the pics. Also finished a couple of doilies for my mom to gift someone for a wedding. Trying to finish up a sofa doily for my aunt and another drop in the pond lapghan for a surprise for a friend. My mom found some hot pink red heart with love on clearance and some caron simply soft so she brought me about 10 skeins. My living room and extra bedroom look like a yarn factory exploded from trying to figure colors and finish projects. Time to stash it all in it's rightful storage spots and only have out a bit at a time. 

Ann, glad you like the squares. (I'm so tired I spelled that scares and then re read it and was like what!) lol  I am still working on more puffies to send out. I finally go the 3 out so hopefully soon. I also need to add some hearts to the NICU hats I made. 

Oh yes, I got a new hook(s) Boye just came out with. Not sure how well I like it but I am always losing regular hooks when I take them with me. This is like a travel 4 in 1 hook (think Swiss knife). We'll see how well it works. Hope you are all feeling ok or better and staying cool. SO hot here... someone posted a meme on facebook that cracked me up.... It's so hot here, 2 hobbits just threw a ring into my backyard!  Yes, I'm a LoTR fan. ;) Happy weekend everyone

It's a good day when we hear from grannyannie--we do miss and wonder about you.  Those are really pretty squares you got from sopo

katy I have been watching Zoo.  At first it seemed kind of disconnected but they were setting up the characters.  Now they have brought them together and they are focused on their mission.  

We started watching Zoo but only made it to I think the second episode... I was trying hard but it was losing me and then we got a new cable box and lost everything on the DVR. Maybe I'll try it again from the On Demand. Typically I'd rather read the book anyway, but I love James Patterson! 

Well I thought I checked in yesterday but I must have forgot with my dad coming in and everything. Sister and Peanut came over to visit and Peanut had kisses for everybody! He's starting to make friends with the big stuffed red chili pepper so I think we'll have to find a new substitute baby gate soon. We used to just set it on the stairs and it kept him away because he was scared. Yesterday he walked up to it and gave it a kiss. Next up is the giant stuffed banana that's about 6 feet tall. 

Today we took Dad out for Mexican and ran a couple errands- nothing too exciting. We did buy new cushions for our patio chairs, so that's a plus anyway! Lol They were half off for the end of season sale so we got all four for $15 each. Not too bad! I made dinner tonight and I've almost finished square 10 on Uncle Sam. Thank goodness!! I just keep thinking I only have to sew 2 more hats on squares!! It keeps me sane.  :)

Off to bed now. Tomorrow we've got to go to the grocery store and Sister is bringing Peanut over again. I love when Dad visits because that means I get lots of Peanut kisses!  :manyheart

Hope everyone has a good weekend!!  :ghug

hi all, bgs, no projects brewing st the moment, but mae my donation, and the final count is as listed below once again, these all went  to the homeless shelter here locally..

2 laPGHANS,

3 baby afgHANS WITH hATS

3PREEMIE SIZE BABAY GHANS WITH HATS,,

5 HAT AND SCARF SETS

6 SCARVES AND HATS bGS DONATED,

37 OTHER HATs I MADE

Scarves i made,

and five fingerless pairs of gloves, all went out last saturday, boxes are out of the craft room, time to reorganize and clean, lol....

I akso tossed in  COUPLE SETS oF WASH/DISH CLOTHS......

now  iam going to work on some squares for sandra, and pineknott, but after than, who knows. lol I am happiest swhen i have something to work on too for someone else bgs, i will still make some hats and stuff, bu the major lot of them, are now gone to a new home, soooo, im doing some squares, till something else presents itself to me I guess!!

hi all, bgs, no projects brewing st the moment, but mae my donation, and the final count is as listed below once again, these all went  to the homeless shelter here locally..

2 laPGHANS,

3 baby afgHANS WITH hATS

3PREEMIE SIZE BABAY GHANS WITH HATS,,

5 HAT AND SCARF SETS

6 SCARVES AND HATS bGS DONATED,

37 OTHER HATs I MADE

Scarves i made,

and five fingerless pairs of gloves, all went out last saturday, boxes are out of the craft room, time to reorganize and clean, lol....

I akso tossed in  COUPLE SETS oF WASH/DISH CLOTHS......

now  iam going to work on some squares for sandra, and pineknott, but after than, who knows. lol I am happiest swhen i have something to work on too for someone else bgs, i will still make some hats and stuff, bu the major lot of them, are now gone to a new home, soooo, im doing some squares, till something else presents itself to me I guess!!

Sounds like you had a nice load for the homeless shelter.    I keep thinking I want to try some fingerless goves but I can't decide which pattern to try so I never get started.  Maybe its time to switch back to thread for awhile.  I have a sack full of snowflakes that need pinned out and stiffened.  

Sounds like everyone had an enjoyable weekend. The birthday party went well, the rain held off until after the kids got out of the pool. It was a long day, we didn't get home until 9 pm and had to unload the car, I forget how much stuff 2 kids can carry with them.  We crawled into bed about 10 and we were up early today for church, I think we are all about ready to call it a night. I'm not sure how much I'll be on here this week, if things go well and the grandkids are cooperative I might get to pop in each day, if not, know that I am thinking of you but I'm probably in the pool with the kids. 

sopo thanks for the recommendation and pattern link.  Yours do look very nice and the pattern does meet my main criteria-----I can use yarn I already have.  

chort I just saw the afghan for your brother its stunning

katy I am having to stay on top of things with that new cell phone.  First it wanted to change us to paperless billing and I am not somewhere where we have what I consider reliable internet service and well I haven't had cell coverage at home since Feb. I mostly have coverage with the new phone but I am waiting to see how it does.  Then it tried to add insurance for the phone.  I don't foresee needing that as 95% of the time the phone is laying on a shelf in the living room and when I do carry it it goes in a special case on the strap of my purse.  I sitll had my old phone in the little paper thin cheap case it came in and after 8 years it had minimal wear (dh needed a sturdier case immediately).  And then it wanted to know if I wanted to keep their caller id service as the trial period is almost up.    I don't need that either.  

Puffies mailed today for our Aug squares.  Estimated delivery is Thurs

Wow it's quiet here today. I guess everyone is staying busy.

bgs, thanks. I hope my brother likes it as much as everyone here does. That was the third Christmas gift finished which will make Christmas shopping a little easier.

I think I wore the grandkids out today. We were outside to play early this morning, then in the pool for 2 hours, after lunch they played inside for a while and then we went outside again. They ate dinner like they hadn't eaten all day, had their showers and flopped down in front of the TV. I'm sure we are all going to sleep well tonight.

Hope everyone has a great night.

Sounds like you had a nice load for the homeless shelter.    I keep thinking I want to try some fingerless goves but I can't decide which pattern to try so I never get started.  Maybe its time to switch back to thread for awhile.  I have a sack full of snowflakes that need pinned out and stiffened.  

oh i love your thread work!

Quick check in tonight... We've been busy with Dad being here and I'm still working away on the Uncle Sam afghan. I've got square 11 finished and I'm making good progress on 12. Thank goodness, it's almost done! I need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and try to find these buttons I need for the nose and then I can start gluing noses and eyes tomorrow. 

Sister's birthday is Wednesday and I'm hoping to get a slouchy beanie made for her. She loves those things so it might be late but I'll get it to her before winter anyway! Lol 

I hope everyone had a good weekend! I'm off to finish this square and then head to bed!  :hook

Good morning y'all. You're welcome Brenda, hope it works for you.

I am so sore lol. Had been toying with painting this old farm house I'm renting but was thinking it would be pretty expensive. Been in a slump lately and yesterday was looking at color samples daydreaming and found some good paint at a good price so on a whim, got the stuff I needed and my daughter and I got started. I chose a dark french chocolate for the walls with gold coast white for trim. I already have taupe goldish curtains. We got half the living room done and I am lovin' it... but oh my gosh, sore in spots I forgot I had. lol. She's back for round 2 today so we'll see how much we get done. Been a long time since I painted and forgot how much work it was. 

Once I get this done, back to my hook (was too tired to even look at it last night). We're supposed to have cooler temps today (YAY!) as heat indexes have been so extreme lately. Anyway, have a great day.

we are enjoying some cooler temps too

have to play time lady this morning,getting people out the door on time that have ziltch in time management skills

sigh,then I'll have 2 hrs of quiet,might get some more squares done for Owlvamp while listening to a book on tape

It's really nice here today for Aug in MO.  The sun is shining and it is comfortably hot out with little humidity----a near perfect day weatherwise.

cshort gosh Christmas is just 4 months and 14 days away YIKES where did this year go?

sopo its always nice to have freshly painted walls to admire and perk things up

owlvamp I have done several patterns from several books and some freebies from the internet. This is my favorite web site for snowflakes.--so pretty. 

http://www.snowcatcherphotos.com/blahg/patterns/SnowcatcherSnowflakeDirectory.html

I use size 10 thread and prefer the small to med flakes.  Most are huge by the time you stiffen and pin them out.  I bought my favorite book a year ago 100 Snowflakes to crochet by Caitlin Sainio.  She shows some done in colors and there are several small to medium ones.   My downfall is making the tme to stiffen adn pin them out.  

yarn_monkey looking forward to your finished Uncle Sam.  I will be curious how you like having parts glued onto it, especially non fabric type parts and how it  holds up

pineknott sounds like a hectic morning for you.  After I tell people about dh's job and the things he is involved with  I tell them my job is keeping him headed in the right direction at the right time with whatever he needs at the time.  

Hi everyone!

Another busy day with the grandkids. I actually dosed off on the sofa for a few minutes this afternoon while they were watching a movie, guess I'm not use to being outside in the heat so much and it wears me out. I started getting things packed up today too since I will be taking them home tomorrow. We'll all be going to Disney World for a couple days too so the fun will continue for a few more days and then I have to go back to work. Hope everyone has a great evening.

hi  all, such busy and productive people you all are, i can't believe this already, but the kids first day back was today!!!!!!  EEK, ITS early for here but we have snow days to make room for.i wonder how the winter is goin gto be this year.

It was another lazyish day here, handyman is painting the trim on the house, its been seven years and he finished the house up the other day, with a neighbor s help, so workin on the trim, looks really great so far, house is gery, no change s in colors, and the shutters and trim is white, gutters are white, looks all refreshed and clean again... your livin room colors sound great sopo, keep up the good work!!

oh Carol, your daysare NUMBERED, BUT DO ENJOY the rest of them while you can!!

It's really nice here today for Aug in MO.  The sun is shining and it is comfortably hot out with little humidity----a near perfect day weatherwise.

cshort gosh Christmas is just 4 months and 14 days away YIKES where did this year go?

sopo its always nice to have freshly painted walls to admire and perk things up

owlvamp I have done several patterns from several books and some freebies from the internet. This is my favorite web site for snowflakes.--so pretty. 

http://www.snowcatcherphotos.com/blahg/patterns/SnowcatcherSnowflakeDirectory.html

I use size 10 thread and prefer the small to med flakes.  Most are huge by the time you stiffen and pin them out.  I bought my favorite book a year ago 100 Snowflakes to crochet by Caitlin Sainio.  She shows some done in colors and there are several small to medium ones.   My downfall is making the tme to stiffen adn pin them out.  

yarn_monkey looking forward to your finished Uncle Sam.  I will be curious how you like having parts glued onto it, especially non fabric type parts and how it  holds up

pineknott sounds like a hectic morning for you.  After I tell people about dh's job and the things he is involved with  I tell them my job is keeping him headed in the right direction at the right time with whatever he needs at the time.  

I found my noses today and I think I'll be sewing them on just because they're buttons and I don't want glue seeping up through the holes and making it look like Uncle Sam has a cold. The eyes are the googly sort so they'll definitely be glued. I have a washable fabric glue that I'll be using. Hopefully it works okay on the eyes too. I'll double check the fine print on the back of the bottle before I do anything for sure! I'm about to finish the final square so I'll know tomorrow! Sister asked what I was going to do with it after it goes to the county and state fairs. I said I'm going to put it away where I can't see it for a while!  :lol

Nothing much to report today. I'll have my last Uncle Sam square finished before bed and Sister is bringing Peanut over for a visit tomorrow for her birthday. As soon as I get Uncle Sam behind me, I'll get caught up on birthday squares! 

Hope everyone is having a good week! I'll be back tomorrow.  :)

Hi all, I go see the Dr again today. This once a week business is a hassle but I'm glad the Dr cares enough to keep such a close eye on me. And I go Monday for another ultrasound at the hospital to check on the status of the seperation/bleed. Keeping my fingers crossed. Oh and did I mention I'm working a 12 1/2 hour shift tonight? 430pm today to 5am tomorrow. My boss is aware of my situation and they just need me there as a presence and Light work only. All my coworkers that know have been great and I am so grateful go them. And I can take a break whenever I need one.

Prayers it goes for the best Immafreak.  Katie, your house sounds pretty. Nikki, you almost made me spew coffee with the Uncle Sam and a cold bit. :P  Not sure I'd call it cooler temps here, maybe a few degrees is all but still hot. Hopefully today will drop even more. They did say the hottest was last week so even though still hot, it will keep getting cooler. So glad for that. 

Good Morning all

another hectic morning,getting them out the door on time,at least this time I won't have to help him down the stairs,that did me in yesterday both physically and mentally,daughter will have to make a decision soon,he needs more care than we can provide

Bgs,I know what you mean,about places and times

oh so sorry to hear of your troubles with mbility for son i law, it's always something, huh linda.. I have done you up some squares, and will probably sending them off tomorrow, I have to go out early, drop off car at dealer sothey are offering for a short time only, free undercoating, to ready for the winter weather, soooo don't know how long that will take but  we'll take if from there, if not tomorrow, then the next day!! mild days, and milder nights, my kind of weather, for sure, mid winter, ask me again, lol

we will soon be craving that heat again im sure!!! I  will misssin the winter,not being just able to run out the door, with a jacket or sweater, and sandals, or tennies, lol, if you go out in the winter like that here, you might not be back, lol...

BUt sharbysyd lives in Buffalo, soon to move anyway, i am always hearing of their weather in the winter, it is just relentless there, for storms, all winter long........

nothing much more here to report, so Ill see you all a bit later, have a good one, all of you........................ :clap

Archived