Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Well, as it turns out, that skein of yarn that looks like something my cat coughed up...actually isn't so bad when it works up.  However, I'm not at all sad that it's done, I really don't like working with yarns that have lumps and bumps...or feathers/fur/pompoms...just give me some regular good ol' yarn please!

post-71546-0-21303300-1439950098_thumb.jpg

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my mom gave me her small stash because her hands have started giving her trouble...anyway, there's this really ugly (I think it's RH light and lofty but there's no label) yarn so I'm gonna make her a scarf with it...there's only one skein attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm trying to figure out this knitting loom someone gave me...I think I may give up and pass it on to someone else...crochet is so much faster and I feel like the fabric is more quality (but I may be biased)

I have several Knifty Knitter looms and I'm with you and bgs... I definitely think they go slower than crocheting but I do like them for novelty yarns. They work great with fun fur and that new ruffle stuff. Otherwise I'll just stick with my hook!  :hook

Nik I am so sorry. :hug  I had a very similiar experience to yours and made a big mistake by not stopping and taking the time to grieve.  Afterwards we just went on like nothing happened.  It's been many years and comes back to haunt me at times----I just can't seem to bring myself to even try to make baby things other than an afghan.   Glad you are back with us and ready to pick up your hooks again.  What kind of knitting loom do you have?  I have most all the knifty knitter looms and a few wooden ones.  I have made a lot of scarves using novelty yarns on the smallest long kk loom (double knit).   I liked the way the novelty yarn worked up on my loom far better than I did when I tried to crochet with it.

yarn_monkey Uncle Sam turned out really good.  I don't think I would ever have gotten it done.  It took many years before the eyes yellowed on the things I was talking about.  I haven't replaced them as it was Halloween stuff anyway so it just adds to the spookiness of them.

We have had a cloudy day with showers off and on all day long, just a nice rain with no accompanying wind nor lightening.  I am glad we mowed on Sun instead of waiting until today.   Let's see, Zoo is on tonight.   That's really the only summer show we have been watching. 

Oh I think having the yellowed eyes on your Halloween things is actually a happy accident! Lol! Once I get past the fair, I'll start thinking of different eyes. I did a little hunting online a couple nights ago for eye-looking buttons but didn't really see anything. I didn't go to any random websites though, just the stores we have locally, so there may still be something out there. 

I went and visited Sister and Peanut for a few hours this afternoon. We walked Peanut to the playground and he had a grand time going down the slides and running around picking up pine cones and throwing them... Until he took of running, hit a hole and face planted in the grass. No serious injuries, thank goodness, he was just done with the playground at that point! I made chicken and dumpling casserole for dinner and DH did the dishes and I've been crocheting the rest of the evening. I've got a good start on my baby blanket and I'm hoping to have it done by Friday so I can take it to the County Fair drop off. State Fair is still another month away. 

Okay I'm off for the night to do a couple more rows on the baby blanket and then off to bed. I'm going back to Sister's for a little bit tomorrow so she can make some important phone calls with the guarantee of no interruption! Lol Have a good night, ladies!  :)

Good morning/afternoon ladies (gents? idk)  

I had to take my car to the shop this morning...I was rear ended a week and a half ago...everyone involved was fine, and thank God my 3yo wasn't with me, but I need my bumper replaced and I'm sure there's some damage underneath that I can't see (I'm no mechanic but I do know how my car is supposed to feel when it drives)  Fortunately AAA is covering everything...I'm just having to battle with his (the guy who hit me) agent about getting a rental car while mine's in the shop.  Fortunately, we are a 2 car family so we're not completely stranded right now but it's an inconvenience and I refuse to pay out of pocket for something that they should cover.

Anyway, I started playing with a ball of light blue RHSS that I found in my stash and it dawned on me that I'm not fully clear on this whole Birthday Month/Biggest square...I ready the first post a couple times but I still don't understand...easily confused I am.

Hey  Nik, I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  I will pray for you.   I may not know you. I am new. But I love you.  You are still loved by us all.  :manyheart   Take care,  and its good to have you back. Nice to meet ya..   Love Arlene :hug

Nik that yarn made a very pretty scarf. For a year or two  we were drawing a name for the Biggest Square of the month.  As always you could send squares to anyone you wanted.  We were hoping that by focusing on one person at a time that they might get an afghan completed quicker.  It also kept me motivated because at the very least I planned on sending to our Biggest Square.  This year for a change we have been going by the month our birthdays are in for Biggest Square(s).  Some months we have had multiples to mail squares out to and other months we didn't have anyone so we designated it as a work on your charity month or a catch up on new members whose birthdays had passed by the time they joined or had never been a Biggest Square. For those that are not collecting squares we have been sending them birthday cards and or little gifts.  Oh and if you haven't already done so contact katyallen8090 with your square preference, birth month and mailing info so she can get you added in.  For the most part we contact each other ourselves for mailing info when we want to send squares but katy usually has maiing info  in case someone is slow to respond.  

yarn_monkey  I had made up my mind that I wasn't going to buy the looms and I held firm for quite some time until sale and or coupon made them too hard to pass up.  Then it was all over had to get some of the books and the other looms.  Hats were so easy to make on them (dh actually made one with me starting and finishing it off).  Actually it is amazing the things this lady has come up with to make on them.  http://loomlady.blogspot.com/       I think somewhere she even figured out how to make a granny square.  I was wondering if there were any of those special amigurumi eyes that have the front and backs that snap together would work for Uncle Sam.  I wound up crocheting circles from #10 thread for the snowman hotpad faces because I knew my sister would not want the buttons the pattern says to use.  

We are having a very nice Aug day, warm but not hot temps and low humidity.  It has a hint of fall in the air.  I love it this way.  Dh on the other hand has had to dig out his long sleeved shirts and jackets out to wear to work in the mornings --but he likes it hot.  I swear one of these days he will be having to wear thermal knit underwear year round.  He is the guy that was sitting with his feet so close to the bonfire that the soles of his shoes were glowing (melting) and he was comfortable.   It might drop into the upper 40's in places tonight.  

Hey  Nik, I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  I will pray for you.   I may not know you. I am new. But I love you.  You are still loved by us all.  :manyheart   Take care,  and its good to have you back. Nice to meet ya..   Love Arlene :hug

Thank you!  It's nice to meet you too  :hug

Nik that yarn made a very pretty scarf. For a year or two  we were drawing a name for the Biggest Square of the month.  As always you could send squares to anyone you wanted.  We were hoping that by focusing on one person at a time that they might get an afghan completed quicker.  It also kept me motivated because at the very least I planned on sending to our Biggest Square.  This year for a change we have been going by the month our birthdays are in for Biggest Square(s).  Some months we have had multiples to mail squares out to and other months we didn't have anyone so we designated it as a work on your charity month or a catch up on new members whose birthdays had passed by the time they joined or had never been a Biggest Square. For those that are not collecting squares we have been sending them birthday cards and or little gifts.  Oh and if you haven't already done so contact katyallen8090 with your square preference, birth month and mailing info so she can get you added in.  For the most part we contact each other ourselves for mailing info when we want to send squares but katy usually has maiing info  in case someone is slow to respond.  

Thanks bgs!  Katy contacted me and collected all my info.  I'm so excited to be back!  

My 3yo keeps asking me for yarn that he can play with so I finally gave him one of my balls of funfur...he thinks its great!

!  

My 3yo keeps asking me for yarn that he can play with so I finally gave him one of my balls of funfur...he thinks its great!

Such a good boy to ask.  My cat just helps herself.  One evening she jumped up in my lap and snatched the ball I was working with and took off.  She loves to chase them about unrolling them so she can chase the end when I roll it back up.  There is a certain size that she just can't resist.  It's such fun when there are 4 balls of yarn unrolled all over the living room floor and around furniture legs.  She has more fun with them than any cat toy I could buy so I don't even try to keep them away from her.

hi all

thank BGs i couldn't have explained it better!! welcome back Nikgets fit, she has a birthday in Dec, and now added to the first post list, so  check out her prefs there....

that scarf is gorgeous nikki too, funny how that yarn looks so diff. when worked up....Bgs has made lots with the loom, and all hers also, are gorgeous!!

post-40621-0-06540100-1440040062_thumb.jpg

Such a good boy to ask.  My cat just helps herself.  One evening she jumped up in my lap and snatched the ball I was working with and took off.  She loves to chase them about unrolling them so she can chase the end when I roll it back up.  There is a certain size that she just can't resist.  It's such fun when there are 4 balls of yarn unrolled all over the living room floor and around furniture legs.  She has more fun with them than any cat toy I could buy so I don't even try to keep them away from her.

ha, i too gave up with Maxie and yarn,,,,,, too cut eas you can see, maxie started very young, lol he is now much bigger,AND 3 years older now but still loves his balls of yarn that he steals from mama....any size, any color.....he is not discrimitive at all. lol Max is NOT  a yarn snob!!

attachicon.gif100_2383_zps98370874 - Copy.jpg

ha, i too gave up with Maxie and yarn,,,,,, too cut eas you can see, maxie started very young, lol he is now much bigger,AND 3 years older now but still loves his balls of yarn that he steals from mama....any size, any color.....he is not discrimitive at all. lol Max is NOT  a yarn snob!!

You two are funny!  I was talking about my kid...my cats are far less polite, but fortunately (or whatever) they tend to hide when the kid is awake...he just doesn't understand why they don't want to play with him.  Anyway, the cats mostly love to find little kid socks and throw them around...or the black one, Lucy, sometimes becomes obsessed with licking plastic grocery bags.  Super annoying, that sound is.

yarn_monkey  I had made up my mind that I wasn't going to buy the looms and I held firm for quite some time until sale and or coupon made them too hard to pass up.  Then it was all over had to get some of the books and the other looms.  Hats were so easy to make on them (dh actually made one with me starting and finishing it off).  Actually it is amazing the things this lady has come up with to make on them.  http://loomlady.blogspot.com/       I think somewhere she even figured out how to make a granny square.  I was wondering if there were any of those special amigurumi eyes that have the front and backs that snap together would work for Uncle Sam.  I wound up crocheting circles from #10 thread for the snowman hotpad faces because I knew my sister would not want the buttons the pattern says to use.  

We are having a very nice Aug day, warm but not hot temps and low humidity.  It has a hint of fall in the air.  I love it this way.  Dh on the other hand has had to dig out his long sleeved shirts and jackets out to wear to work in the mornings --but he likes it hot.  I swear one of these days he will be having to wear thermal knit underwear year round.  He is the guy that was sitting with his feet so close to the bonfire that the soles of his shoes were glowing (melting) and he was comfortable.   It might drop into the upper 40's in places tonight.  

Oh I forgot I've made hats with them. I like the hats, they work up quick! I'm an instant gratification type of person. Long and big projects just bore me to tears. I'm going to bookmark that page and take a look when I finish here. Thanks for posting it!  :)

We don't have pets now because our landlord doesn't allow them but when I lived with my dad and his girlfriend a couple years ago we had a dog and a cat. The cat was the least of the problems with the yarn! The dog was the issue. She got into everything. One day we came home from somewhere and that little chihuahua mutt and pulled my dad's girlfriend's entire crochet bag out and had balls and WIPs strung all over the living room. She was so mad!! I would have been too but I had to laugh!  :lol I think the dog just knew that's what was taking up all of her mom's attention and she just had to get rid of the competition! 

Sister wound up not needing me today because her boyfriend stayed home to help her so I just stayed home and worked on the baby blanket. Tomorrow is the first home football game of the season so DH and I will leave midafternoon to get to DC and beat traffic. It's a late game so I probably won't be around tomorrow night. I'm hoping we'll be home by midnight or so. I'll probably take the baby blanket with me so I have something to do in the parking lot until it's time to go in.  :hook

Okay I'm off for the night. Gonna check out the link Brenda posted and try to find a doily pattern I need for a friend. Hope everyone had a good day!  :)

thanks yarn monkey,and bgs  for explaiining biggest square

, andNikgetsfit,  we knew you were talking about your little guy, but i don't have little ones around, but the furry ones, act like little ones at times,.lol bout time for another peanut pic, is it!!! yarnmonkey??

nik I knew you were talking about your boy and at that age I thought it was cute that he asked for a ball of your yarn.  

katy, Maxie is so cute with his ball of yarn.  TC seems to prefers the balls that are 1 1/2 inch diameter and her red ball is her favorite ( I  can't bring my bucket with cherry tomatoes in from the garden and set it on the floor because she gets them out to play with.)   When I get down to scraps of yarn that are too short to really do much with I tie them together leaving some of the tails 3 to 4 inches long..  Then I roll it into a ball, tie some of the tails to each other as i go and thread other tails (one by one) into a needle and run them back through the ball a few time.  This keeps the ball together and I can leave a tail or two hanging loose for added interest.  I made another one and left a super long tail so I can throw the ball and hold on to the end to pull it back to me. It also has the added benefit that she can unroll it like she does when she gets one of mine.   For another toy we drilled a hole through the end of a dowel rod and tied several lengths of yarn to it.   She also loves the cardboard spool from #10 crochet.  She likes for me to chase her through the house--if I quit before she is ready she will fuss at me.   She is a lot like having a two year old child in the house---she is always interested in anything tracked in on the floor and there is no telling what she will grab and take off with.  Yep she eats up a lot of my time.  She just showed up and was supposed to be a barn cat-- how she moved in and took over is beyond me.  

yarn_monkey that lady uses the 12 peg kk flower loom for a lot of  her projects.  It was made so that the pegs pull out of it pretty easily for taking the flowers off.  When I use it for projects I have had to take some plastic wrap to put in the peg holes to tighten them up a bit.  

yes,my gosh what is it with cats and plastic bags,I had heard or seen somewhere,that the bags smell like fish to cats,I guess humans don't pick up that scent they give off,thank goodness'

Katy,your squares arrived,did you send 6 ? the bag was tore in two,gee,couldn't someone have thrown a piece of tape on it,somewhere,I like them all especially the camo or woodland variegated,thanks so much,it brightened my day,after having to get son in law down the stairs for yet another appt.and he was more shaky on his feet and real clingly,gosh dang thought he was going to knock me off the step,sigh

Just popping in for quick hello. Hopefully I will have time to catch up this weekend. I've getting to work at 7 am and bringing work home and working until between 9 and 10 pm this week. Getting my classroom ready this week is keeping me very busy and I'm very tired. I hope everyone is doing well.

Katie thank you for the square, it's beautiful. I'll try to get a picture later. I'm up to my ears in paint right now. Brenda, Rudy sounds like your cat lol. Sometimes I want to strangle him but he's so sweet when he's asleep :P or in a loving mood, I can't help but love him. I'll try to post more later guys.

yes six pineknott so sorry it was damaged though......Your welcome too sopo, glad I found that in time for your ghan to be done, huh, i had made it for you, and  layed it out to block a bit, and then put a small basket of yarn on top, and forgot it was even there!!

so hope the rest get to their new homes too quickly!! OMG alone concluded tonight, and the guy i had picked from day one, lasted the longest, snd won the 500 thousand, and first thing he was going to do with some of the money, was to insist hid elderly father quit his job, and he would take care of his eldery mom and dad, from here on out, cause they took such good care of him!!  Alan was the one from Ga. and he won!! Second place, was my guy too, from here, he lasted second longest, Im sure he won some moeny, but don't know yet how much, i was happy for them both!!! They are both back home now, and reajusting to normal life, lol....and eating I bet, stuff better than slugs, and fish, and seaweed, ..Oh My!.amf that diet was on a GOOD day, lol

.good series, I enjoyed it, and

hope they do another with 10 new people!! When i have the tv on,i V usually  got on history, nova, weather channel, or i can't think of the other one i watch often, but oh, YEAH  discovery, OR PBSand Nature, and Nat. Geography =AND  i seldom watch network tv blagh...lol

Morning Ladies!  :D

Been working on some squares!  Yesterday the Kid wanted to go to the "arps and craps" store so we walked over there (still no car...but JoAnn's is less than a mile away) since it was a nice non sweltering day for once.  And, if you can believe it, I DID NOT BUY YARN!  I know, it's a miracle...but honestly, all I can afford these days is RHSS and it's cheapest at Walmart so...Eli picked out some googly eyes and pompoms and we HAD to get some hand soap in a black cat dispenser thing (it says it's marshmallow scented but it's really not) because it looks like "Lucy".  I got a hole punch because DH stole mine to use for work and lost it...I punched some shape outlines in card stock and taught Eli how to "sew"...he's not quite got it but it keeps him quiet and busy for a while and that's all I need hahaha.

tomorrow is lucnch with daughter, her b day was last friday but she and hubby were out of town on her birthday trip, I I called her at her xact birth time, as i always do, and  we planned tomorrow for our BDay Lnuch/and stuff day!!!!!!!!!

yes,my gosh what is it with cats and plastic bags,I had heard or seen somewhere,that the bags smell like fish to cats,I guess humans don't pick up that scent they give off,thank goodness'

Katy,your squares arrived,did you send 6 ? the bag was tore in two,gee,couldn't someone have thrown a piece of tape on it,somewhere,I like them all especially the camo or woodland variegated,thanks so much,it brightened my day,after having to get son in law down the stairs for yet another appt.and he was more shaky on his feet and real clingly,gosh dang thought he was going to knock me off the step,sigh

We had a cat growing up that just loved plastic bags... until she got stuck. I guess she'd had enough and tried to leave through the handle and it scared her so she took off running and it was basically like the bag chased her. Poor cat peed all over the house, it scared her so bad!  :lol

Morning Ladies!  :D

Been working on some squares!  Yesterday the Kid wanted to go to the "arps and craps" store so we walked over there (still no car...but JoAnn's is less than a mile away) since it was a nice non sweltering day for once.  And, if you can believe it, I DID NOT BUY YARN!  I know, it's a miracle...but honestly, all I can afford these days is RHSS and it's cheapest at Walmart so...Eli picked out some googly eyes and pompoms and we HAD to get some hand soap in a black cat dispenser thing (it says it's marshmallow scented but it's really not) because it looks like "Lucy".  I got a hole punch because DH stole mine to use for work and lost it...I punched some shape outlines in card stock and taught Eli how to "sew"...he's not quite got it but it keeps him quiet and busy for a while and that's all I need hahaha.

I laughed out loud at "arps and craps"!  :rofl

tomorrow is lucnch with daughter, her b day was last friday but she and hubby were out of town on her birthday trip, I I called her at her xact birth time, as i always do, and  we planned tomorrow for our BDay Lnuch/and stuff day!!!!!!!!!

Have fun tomorrow!! Happy (belated) birthday, Katie's daughter!!  :yay

DH and I got back after midnight last night and I went straight to bed. Today we went to Costco and took his friend out to dinner for his birthday. Tomorrow I was supposed to meet a friend in another town to go shopping but she said she has to work, so I think Sister is going to go with me instead. I've got a couple things I want to get for the kitchen and they have a kitchen outlet that I want to check out. 

Drop off for the County Fair is Thursday, so I'm just hooking away trying to get this baby blanket done. I've got a skein of yarn coming to do the Fortune's Shawlette from Moogly that Kim Guzman has a CAL going for on Facebook and I'm hoping to get that done in time for the State Fair later next month and a rug I want to make for it. Whew! My hands are flying over here!!  :yes

Okay off to get a couple more rows done on this baby blanket before bed. Hope everyone has a good Saturday!  :)

Hi all,

How are you all doing? Here pretty much the same. Taking one day at a time. WHEN it rains it pours.

I usually only buy RHSS myself. It's the cheapest and I want to continue crocheting so tats why I get that other than my cotton yarn.

Hi all,

How are you all doing? Here pretty much the same. Taking one day at a time. WHEN it rains it pours.

I usually only buy RHSS myself. It's the cheapest and I want to continue crocheting so tats why I get that other than my cotton yarn.

I usually stick with RHSS or Bernat Super Value, when I can get it on sale at AC Moore. It seems to hold up well and is softer than RHSS and when it's on sale it's not a whole lot higher in price. I just can't justify spending a bunch of money on yarn when I have other things that money needs to go towards. 

I went shopping with Sister today and didn't find much of what I was after. We were going to go to the outlets but they were super busy so we just went on to another place. Maybe we'll go back in a few weeks. Tomorrow I'll just be around the house doing laundry and straightening up and working on this baby blanket.

I think Katie asked for new pictures of Peanut a few days ago and I forgot to post them. Oops! So here they are! :)

post-11765-0-74361100-1440295887_thumb.jpg

Loving on Huggy Bunny. 

post-11765-0-04576600-1440296058_thumb.jpg

Sister calls this his First Day of School picture because he looks like such a little boy and not like such a baby. 

post-11765-0-48309100-1440296181_thumb.jpg

This was today in Walmart. "Don't worry about me, Mom! I'll just be here drinking the refried beans!" He did that probably 10 times and smacking his lips after he took a "drink". And he kept throwing Sister's Q-Tips over the side of the cart and saying "Done!"

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!  :ghug

Archived