Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hi again!  It's cooler, and I'm happy.  Now I just need to win the lottery, and I'll be even happier.  I don't ask for much.

Just a quick check in for the afternoon... I'm still at work and hoping it goes quickly. It's not a terrible day today, but it hasn't been a great week. Went to the post office on my break, cried all the way there, cried all the way back and sat in the parking lot across the street and cried some more. It's just so hard to listen to people talk to you like you're an absolute fool all day and you can't say anything back because there's only 2 people in here and they're thick as thieves and neither is any better than the other! DH and I decided last night that we're going to have to discuss it this weekend. The main reason I'm working is for health insurance and I finally got on the insurance here just to find out they won't cover pre existing conditions until June of next year! I think that's their way to get around not being able to flat out deny you completely. So now the whole reason I needed the insurance (and the job) is out the window until June and I just don't know if it makes any sense to stay to hopefully get full coverage in June and then put up with all the stress and general meanness in the meantime!

I've been working on squares for Sheila (craziebunny) and that's been helping. I've done so little crocheting lately that it was hard to even remember just how therapeutic it was for me! I got 2 finished last night and started a third. One was Katy's puffy flower and it did come out cute! I wish I had used more than one color but I'll do that on the next one I make. I'm hoping I'll have plenty of time for crocheting this weekend too!

Angel, I'm glad it's cooled down there for you!

Katy, I'm glad you're starting to really get around! Won't be long and you'll be cruising around just like normal!

That's just terrible.  I can't believe you have to wait so long to get preexisting conditions covered.  Do you feel confident enough in your employers to report your coworkers' behavior?  I have worked a lot on workers' comp cases, and that's something that comes up often.  It becomes a stressful and hostile work environment for you.  You should talk to whomever is your manager or supervisor.  Petty behavior does not belong in the workplace.  

angel sorry about the modem, its kind of suspect that the power surge did it in but you won't get the electric company to admit it.  Glad you are having a cooler day.

kuddles, I really want to see the turtle zippered pouch, sounds so cute, and I am glad your boss acknowledged that you did a great job.

Rusty's Mom sorry about all the problems.  I understand you looking forward to opening your puffies but you are leaving us all hanging here in suspense wondering if  our packages ever arrived let alone if you liked them or not.   

yarn_monkey  :hug  :hug  Think about Peanut and mentally go to a happy place.  

It was all the power company.  Timer Warner has just secured my lifelong loyalty.  The tech came yesterday and saw that there's still work going on on our street.  His maintenance manager spoke to SCE.  SCE informed them that they turned off Time Warner's power while they worked in the area.  That was a blatant lie.  I called TW later on in the day to ask if there was an ETA on getting service back and had to explain everything that had happened.  This was at about 4 p.m.  A couple of hours later, to our surprise, the maintenance manager was at our door, explaining that he was going to do a temporary fix so we could have internet but he got called to handle an outage in a neighboring city.  He actually came back after that and found, after fixing the lines SCE had CUT, that they also broke something inside their box.  He did not leave until he had fixed it, and this was after 9:30 p.m.  How sneaky of the power company!  Had TW not had my complaint and explanation of what had happened, they would have taken who knows how long to discover what had happened.  All is well now :)

I need suggestions, please.  I'm going to attend a niece's quinceañera (like a sweet 16), but with no money, I want to make her something.  Any ideas?  I have no idea what a teen would like.  

Katy, how are you feeling?  Moving around more?

Rusty's mom, I hope you're able to get into an acceptable situation.  :hug

Ta-ta, everyone :)

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH Hey what do you know, I am still alive and kicking. I had my car break down. water pump went out. A guy from the fire dept fixed it for me. 

I am officially Assistant Manager at the Gas station.  Band season has started back up. Their 3rd performance is tomorrow.  Church has been doing alot of things betweeen yardsales and bakesales And singing at the nursing home. SOmewhere in the middle of all this I want to get Zumba started up again. 

My DD has some kind of skin virus on her belly and back. it looks like ringworm but it isnt. it spreads more and faster. nothing you can do for it other then anti itch cream. and wait for it to run it's coarse. 

took her to the doctor on a tuesday.Wednesday i had my DS at the doctor cause he turned his ankle at band practice. couldnt walk on. thankfully it isnt broken but every time it gets to feeling better he decides he dont have to baby it anymore and by the end of day he has it hurting again.

Hope all is well. Missed you all and willl be back as soon as life lets me lol. hagd

wow! every one sure has had some problems.. Yarn monkey, no job is worth you getting that upset or stressed out about, my vote, quit if you can afford to, and find something else.

Rusty's mom, so sorry to hear of your problems. Hope it all gets straightened out soon for you, and IM sure your brother wlll take care of things... On the other subject,  you're procrastination accidental im assuming opening puffy's, albeit understood with all your issues lately, does hurt those of us that sends you puffy's too, not in a big way, but we sure would like to know IF they arrived, even if you opened them enough to read whom they were from, and posted a thanks for that, would be a great relief to those of us that have sent out dear, so hope you can do that for us, so we can relax and know they got there! thanks.

Drgnlady, welcome back to the granny group, ha ha, we were wondering how you were doing!

Yep, I vote on seeing pics of the zippered deals too kuddles lol

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I am slowly but surely improving, and plan on going, guess where tomorrow, yep, Michaels, got a 50 per cent off coupon, that expires tomorrow, lol       sooooo gotta get out and go!!

Nothing much too exciting going on around here the past week, and I can't believe it's the weekend almost already, where does the time go!!

Got some pics to show you, squares for all, and all for squares, soon as I get them on the puter!

Rusty's mom, remember, we are waiting for confirmation our gift puffys arrived, here's hope that you will get that task done promptly for us, and thank you in advance.

dragnlady glad you checked in.  I had been wondering about you.  Now if grannyannie would check in. I always worry about our mia's.

angel, its great to hear when a company is on the ball fixing problems in such a timely manner.  I have no idea what you might be thinking of for your niece but these are really pretty and have potential for many things, key rings, earrings, multiples together to just hang

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/152478-tiny-hearts/

katy, pretty squares

was using up balls again, gotta perge them often, or there gets to be too many, and they get into fights, and arguments in the balls basket!! lol   

My cat likes to get those balls and unravel them in the floor.  It's not uncommon for me to find 3,4, or so far the max has been 5 unwound and looped around chair legs, etc all over the floor.  

Hi everybody,

I am here today.  To answer the question re my brother--he lives in Arkansas along with my sister-in-law Mary (his wife).  I was able to get in touch with him this morning.  He said that he had been out of town for the past two days and that was why I couldn't get in touch with him. I told him a little about Kertrina.  David (my brother) said that he would talk to me later this weekend since he was playing catch up with his work today since he had been out of town on business for two days.  I did tell him that part of the reason that I do not want Kertrina is that she comes just when she feels like it.  He said that she is supposed to come only twice a month and Kertrina has already been here three times.  He gave me the dates that she came.  Reason that he knows this is that Kertrina calls him before she comes here so that she will get paid.  I told David that I was toying with the idea of not letting Kertrina in the house today and he said that I should let her in today since he told her that it was okay to be here today, but not again until after the first of October, so I said that I'd let her in today, but so far she has not come.  I don't care except that she got money for no work. I will let David know that she did not come.  He will deal with her.  He is a very smart man.  I know he is my brother, but he is also very intelligent and he is easygoing and does not get upset so quickly like I do sometimes.  I have thought that I might make a list of rules for Kertrina and give her a copy of them and send a copy to David and I will keep a copy.  That way, I think that she will understand what she can do and not do.  I don't know if this will work, but it's at least worth a try. Who knows? It might work. 

I read that some of us are not doing so well. I understand how you feel. 

Katie, I read that you are now getting around by yourself and you actually can drive some.  You are doing great! Just hang in there and go slow. You will be your old self soon. 

I still have not opened the puffies, even though I meant to. If Kertrina's son had not come this morning, I would have already opened them, but he showed up while I was watching Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.  E.J. (Kertrina's son) is not quite as bad as she is.  However, there is something--you have to be careful because he will steal money from you before you know it.  He has stolen $60 from me. I told Kertrina and she made it good.  (this stealing was last year). I have my money beside me on a table so that he can't get it. 

I hope that when David calls me, he and I can work out something that will work. 

Hope everyone's day is better than the last one.

Jeannine

I think setting up some rules would be just fine and a good idea! I mean, your mom pays and your brother is in charge, but it's still your house. I don't see any problems with it at all. Good luck and let us all know how it goes!!  :hug

Hi again!  It's cooler, and I'm happy.  Now I just need to win the lottery, and I'll be even happier.  I don't ask for much.

That's just terrible.  I can't believe you have to wait so long to get preexisting conditions covered.  Do you feel confident enough in your employers to report your coworkers' behavior?  I have worked a lot on workers' comp cases, and that's something that comes up often.  It becomes a stressful and hostile work environment for you.  You should talk to whomever is your manager or supervisor.  Petty behavior does not belong in the workplace.  

It was all the power company.  Timer Warner has just secured my lifelong loyalty.  The tech came yesterday and saw that there's still work going on on our street.  His maintenance manager spoke to SCE.  SCE informed them that they turned off Time Warner's power while they worked in the area.  That was a blatant lie.  I called TW later on in the day to ask if there was an ETA on getting service back and had to explain everything that had happened.  This was at about 4 p.m.  A couple of hours later, to our surprise, the maintenance manager was at our door, explaining that he was going to do a temporary fix so we could have internet but he got called to handle an outage in a neighboring city.  He actually came back after that and found, after fixing the lines SCE had CUT, that they also broke something inside their box.  He did not leave until he had fixed it, and this was after 9:30 p.m.  How sneaky of the power company!  Had TW not had my complaint and explanation of what had happened, they would have taken who knows how long to discover what had happened.  All is well now :)

I need suggestions, please.  I'm going to attend a niece's quinceañera (like a sweet 16), but with no money, I want to make her something.  Any ideas?  I have no idea what a teen would like.  

Katy, how are you feeling?  Moving around more?

Rusty's mom, I hope you're able to get into an acceptable situation.   :hug

Ta-ta, everyone :)

The problem is that we only have 3 people in the whole office, including me. It's me, the girl who is mean and petty and know it all, and the owner. I genuinely feel like I'm in the right (obviously) but the other girl has been there for almost 3 years and the owner never says anything to her. She's even mean to the owner!! I can't even imagine telling my boss what to do and how to have her desk and office, but that's what she does. I think if it was a big office, I may have a chance, but it's not at all. And I feel like I'm letting people down by leaving... myself and my husband for not bringing in any money anymore (DH pays all the bills and I pay for my fun stuff, yarn and clothes, etc), my boss because I like her when she isn't moody and the other girl is going out for maternity leave in December, and anybody else who was so happy for me getting a full time job for the first time in forever. I'm a terrible people pleaser and it doesn't always work out to my benefit. 

OH Hey what do you know, I am still alive and kicking. I had my car break down. water pump went out. A guy from the fire dept fixed it for me. 

I am officially Assistant Manager at the Gas station.  Band season has started back up. Their 3rd performance is tomorrow.  Church has been doing alot of things betweeen yardsales and bakesales And singing at the nursing home. SOmewhere in the middle of all this I want to get Zumba started up again. 

My DD has some kind of skin virus on her belly and back. it looks like ringworm but it isnt. it spreads more and faster. nothing you can do for it other then anti itch cream. and wait for it to run it's coarse. 

took her to the doctor on a tuesday.Wednesday i had my DS at the doctor cause he turned his ankle at band practice. couldnt walk on. thankfully it isnt broken but every time it gets to feeling better he decides he dont have to baby it anymore and by the end of day he has it hurting again.

Hope all is well. Missed you all and willl be back as soon as life lets me lol. hagd

Congrats on the job and I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery from this virus! Sounds awful! 

My cat likes to get those balls and unravel them in the floor.  It's not uncommon for me to find 3,4, or so far the max has been 5 unwound and looped around chair legs, etc all over the floor.  

We aren't allowed to have any pets in this house because we rent, but in our old house with my dad and his girlfriend, we had a dog and a cat. The cat couldn't care less about the yarn and it was always the dog who drug the yarn out and strung it all over the house! We learned really quick to put it away and keep it where the dog couldn't get to it. 

Katy, I'm glad you're getting out and about. Nothing is as good of a motivator as a coupon to the yarn store!! I mean to quote several of your posts but apparently I messed up. I loved all the squares you posted! I love eye candy!  :manyheart We went a year without me working and managed fine. Just one of those situations where we didn't have a lot of extra. DH and I have a different situation where I pay my bills and he pays his and the house bills, I cook and he does dishes, we share the general cleaning. It's weird but it works for us. He doesn't work outside the house so it's easiest for us this way. I would have just gotten on his health insurance to begin with but he was grandfathered in to a pre-affordable care act plan and they denied me based on the pre-existing condition. And now it's not covered anyway. Open enrollment for an affordable care act plan is next month and if I can afford it on my own, I'll go with that, but you can't have one of those plans if you have a job that offers healthcare. It's so complicated and confusing!!! 

Happy weekend everyone!! I'll be back to check in, but i think it's bedtime for me now!  :ghug

Hi again,

Things have gone from bad to worse here. Yesterday the lift chair that I had all of a sudden didn't have power so the footrest would not lower and then the power came back, but then it went away again.   I thought that the battery in the hand held unit had died and the battery needed replacing, but it turned out that there is no battery, just some circuits.  E.J., Kertrina's son, didn't know how to fix that and I certainly had no idea how either. E.J. told me that he thought that the hand held unit need to recharge and then it would be fine. I don't know where he got this idea, but it seemed that he was right (I hoped) because the hand held control began working fine a few minutes later. I asked E.J. if he knew where the book was that I was supposed to have. I said that Kertrina did not give me the book when she had brought in the chair and E.J. told me that Kertrina bought this chair at a yard sale. I said that I hadn't known that. I thought that she bought it at a mall in Dublin. E. J. said that she bought the chair at a yard sale, or at least she told him that. I said that I didn't know that she bought the chair at a yard sale. I had thought that it was a new chair, it certainly cost enough. If I had known it was from a yard sale, I certainly would have told Kertrina not to buy itif it didn't have the book. In this book is important information such as what to do when things don't work like expected and there is information about how to call a technician to get repairs, but I did not have this book.  I called my brother because he bought this chair for me. I didn't know if he knew that it was second hard. When I got in touch with him, he said that he knew that was not brand new. David said that he knew that the chair was used. It seems that Kertrina had told him.  I told David that the hand held control was not getting power and I didn't know what to do as I did not have the book and he said that I should talk to Kertrina and she could get it fixed. I agreed and I tried to get in touch with her, but she has not returned my call.  Now to earlier this morning, the chair had been getting power although sometimes there would be no power and then in a few minutes, the power would be back. Nothing else was affected by this sometimes lack of power but this chair so the problem is with the chair.  This morning, I woke up (I slept in the chair last night) and wanted to let the footrest down and so I pressed the button on the hand held unit expecting to see a green light and hear a hum (the chair as the footrest let down) but there was silence. I tried again and there was no power and I was stuck with the footrest extended and no way to get it down.  I had to call the EMTs and they came and did get me out, so I am in the office in the chair that I can get out of.  I am waiting until it is time to contact my brother in Arkansas. I told Rusty that this chair is as good as gone.  I am getting rid of it because of the problem with the power if Kertrina cannot get it fixed. I don't know if she can or not, but if she cannot, I am not keeping that chair because I could get caught in the chair again with the footrest extended and no way to get down but the EMTs. I am going to open the puffys this morning.  I am sorry that I have not opened them until now, but because of the way things are going I have not been able to.  I will post again after I have opened the puffys. 

Hi everyone! I've been a little busy here but I'm still hanging around.

yarn_monkey I put a puffy in the mail yesterday for the comfortghan.

Guess I'll have to go back and try to catch up on things. Have a great day!

Good morning and yikes, so many posts! Too tired to read them all carefully, but I did scan them!

Katy, wow that one square DOES scream my name! I heard it all the way here!

Hugs to everyone! Sounds like we all might need one!

Very happy it is the weekend....long busy week! I am going to do the turtle zip bag today (hopefully) and I promise I will post pix of all of them! Got the check in the mail yesterday from Sue's mom so I can buy.....more fabric! LOL

I better get going! Try to have a great day!

and this is my new mantra:

I choose happiness!

So please follow my lead! Woot!

kuddles

Hi everybody,

I have not been able to leave the office much . I will say that I have 4 puffies and as soon as I get something settled about the chair (or a chair), I will leave here and go into another room.  The situation here is: the lift chair is out. That was the only chair that I can sit in. There is another chair, but I think that it is too low for me if I remember correctly, and I might not be able to get out of it.  I am currently sitting in the office chair that  I bought from Office Depot back in 99.  I have been working on unloading the yarn from the extra chair in the living room and I am going to be brave after a little while and go and try sitting in it.  I think with a cushion in the seat, that I could get up and down, but I don't know. I have had to make two trips to unload all the yarn that was in the chair. I finished that just while ago, but then I saw bugs and so I am back here giving the bugs a chance to leave. I will go back in a little while when I get my breath back. The last trip to the living room, I did bring one of the cushions and I looked at the cushion in the chair and compared it to the lift chair and I believe that I could sit in this second chair with no cushion, but I'm going to put it in anyway in case.  When this situation is all over, I will open the puffies. I promise. I am doing my best. How is your day?

angel, my daughter always loved slouch hats. Since cool weather is coming, maybe a slouch hat and scarf set? 

yarn monkey, I agree, no job on earth is worth your peace of mind. Stress can cause many ailments and just not worth it. Hugs and prayers. 

pretty squares Katie. I have so many yarn scraps, I need to ball them up but haven't had time yet. I have a list a mile long of things I want to make but seems not enough time in the day. And it's almost October!! I was hoping to have a few Christmas presents done by now. 

myself

everything would come to a screeching halt till after any pkg was opened

then and only then would the dishes get done.floor swept and washed,laundry folded

but you have to do what you have to do,there was another gal years ago on here that took days to open her mail

Poor Jeanie, first the microwave, and now the dang chair!!  Good luck getting it all taken care of, hope it's soon.

Over who is the biggest?

yeah, either that, or whom thinks it's their turn to get used next, lol !!

Five huh, well mycat Max, just likes the biggest ones, lol

Good morning and yikes, so many posts! Too tired to read them all carefully, but I did scan them!

Katy, wow that one square DOES scream my name! I heard it all the way here!

Hugs to everyone! Sounds like we all might need one!

Very happy it is the weekend....long busy week! I am going to do the turtle zip bag today (hopefully) and I promise I will post pix of all of them! Got the check in the mail yesterday from Sue's mom so I can buy.....more fabric! LOL

I better get going! Try to have a great day!

and this is my new mantra:

I choose happiness!

So please follow my lead! Woot!

kuddles

I thought it did too kuddles, just wait'll I get to where I can travel the post office weekly again, lol

myself

then and only then would the dishes get done.floor swept and washed,laundry folded

but you have to do what you have to do,there was another gal years ago on here that took days to open her mail

I second that Linda~!!!! ain't no one, no where, now how, stoppin' me from opening those puffies pronto!!!!!

Finally caught up! I had like six pages to read; geez you guys! I know I only get in once a week but man, y'all talked up a storm this week. :P

Good morning Ladies

Broke down and turned on the ole furnace today.   Woke up to 51 degrees and had to draw the line.   lol   Nice and cozy now I can get some squares knocked out.   Do you all find its much easier to crochet and knit when its cold versus with its hot?    Going to post tomorrow morning.   Gonna need a few addresses, pm's coming today.   Ready to post yours too Rusty's mom, should I hold off due to your mailing issues?  Keep warn everyone, and have a great Sunday.

I definitely find it easier to work when it's cold! Especially if I'm working on a big ol' blanket that's draped over my lap. Hey, did you know that if you sing the word "blanket" over and over again, it starts to sound really weird? I have no idea where that word comes from. One of our bedtime songs (Moon, moon, moon) frequently has other words substituted in, and tonight he said it should be "blanket, blanket, blanket", which is how I know how weird it sounds and how I have no idea what the etymology is. :D

Just wanted to let you all know that our member craziebunny (Sheila) passed away yesterday. She didn't make it through surgery after she and her family were in a car accident. I was thinking about doing a comfortghan for her family but am still working out details. I'll keep you all posted.

I didn't know her, but that's such sad news. How awful for her family!

post-40621-0-59789300-1411259851_thumb.jpg Oh, i worked on finishing up some small squares today, and making six inchers too from scratch!! Here's the pic.

These are gorgeous! That's a wonderful photo of them; nothing but yummy colored yarn all around.

GUESS WHAT?!! Just before coming on here, I finally FINISHED THAT QUILT BLOCK I had to embroider! I put that on my to-do list in May! All I had left was two stupid little bits on the tractor! But it's done now! So now all I have to do is piecing, well, and measure and cut borders, but those are just borders; how bad can they be? And then layering and quilting of course, which will be... fun... but I'll manage somehow.

And of course I'm already designing another one that I'm itching to get home (at my parents' for the weekend) to start scrounging and cutting fabrics for.... Little Viking is in desperate need of a twin bed instead of the converted crib; he's only about six inches shorter than his mattress right now, and I realised that he doesn't have any covers of his own that are twin bed sized. We could pile afghans on him, sure, but I have this Avengers quilt panel I got him when I ordered the Iron Man fabric for his pjs (that I ALSO finally finished this weekend; I gave him the set last night and he hasn't taken the top off yet... told me he's going to wear it home tomorrow :lol) so I thought I should do something with that. And I came up with a pretty simple design, for me, it's all squares or border, so I don't have to worry about complicated piecing.

And I'm making progress on my crochet Thor helmet... Not sure what he's going to want to be for Halloween, but I'm hoping this might cause him to lean toward that, just so I don't have to come up with more costume pieces... not that I mind more costume pieces, but there's only so much time to work! :lol

Ok, that's me out for the night. Have a good rest of the weekend, all!

myself

First thing I do when I see a puffy is throw everything else down and rip it open! I had to check the mail today because I was expecting some squares for craziebunny's comfortghan (I got four puffies!!) and did it on the way out to run errands and then opened them all in the car! I think DH thought I was being ridiculous but I can't handle the suspense!

post-40621-0-59789300-1411259851_thumb.jpg Oh, i worked on finishing up some small squares today, and making six inchers too from scratch!! Here's the pic.

I love all your eye candy!!  :manyheart

I got 10 squares in the mail for the comfortghan today, 4 from kimgoodie and I think 2 of those are even meant for my friendship ghan! :hug  I've been churning squares out myself and I'm really excited to get this finished project off to Sheila's husband, even though I'm nowhere near that point yet. I'll have to start posting some finished squares over on show and tell and when I do, I'll post the link here. 

Hope everyone has had a good weekend so far! I decided I'm too old for go karts (my hip hurts from the seat and my back hurts from the bumps in the track lol) but I get to spend time with Peanut tomorrow and then hit a children's consignment sale with my sister before going to a friend's house for football. Lazy Sunday and with my Peanut! Makes it even better!  :yes

Goooooooooooooddddddddddddddd morning!

No I'm not that awake, just trying to make myself think I am!

Finished the turtle bag! Need to make the two zipper pulls for kitty bags and I'll be done with the order! I'll take pics of all and post!

I think kiddles has caught a cold! She is blowing a lot since last nite, too much for it to be allergies...I think......

We got Dolphin Tale from the library yesterday and watched it! I cried more than once! What a wonderful uplifting movie! Number two is out now......at some point it will be seen too!

Well, I should see what else is going out in cyber land.

Have a great day and I choose happiness!

kuddles

Good morning

I think I caught something also,I have never seen Bill clear out of the bathroom so quick,as when I said I think I'm going to be sick

I enjoyed Dolphin Tale,glad to see some wholesome movies that the whole family can watch.

Archived