Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Tuesday is the last day for Rusty' mom to be queen, then we have a new queen, so if you have some for Rusty, best take um in soon, lol although, Im quite sure she won't mind any she gets later either!! I hope she has had a good reign, despite all the personal issuues she has had, and look forward to seeing her finished afghan in the future!!!!

At the same time, our new queen is changing up her prefs a bit, soooooo don't go jumping the gun quite yet, till you know who it is, lolol... Pineknott hs this uncanny sense more often than not, whom it might be, so that is why the warning, ha ha!

Looking forward to our new queen, and raining down puffy's on her next month.

I must have hit the underline thing, drat,,,,lol Ill just deal with it for now......more later, take care all, and for all those that need a hug today, :ghug 

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ladies!

I have been reading the posts and I found two who answered my question.  I have noticed that I have squares in different sizes, which is all right. It is what I asked for and I wouldn't change a thing. However, this has given me an idea or two for an afghan.  I am going to sort the squares by size and see how many I have of each size.  I will then make an afghan using all one size.  Another idea that came to me when I saw the smaller squares is to maybe make an afghan dog-size for Rusty.  I may do this and I may not. I just thought that one would be cute--he would have one and I would have one.  Anyway that is my second idea.  The third idea is to have an afghan made with different sized squares. I have never done that and I don't know how it will turn out, so I might not do this one. I have decided for the border I want a neutral color. I have some white, also buff (light tan) and other shades of either off white or tan.  I will start soon on the afghan or afghans.  Then I will update my preferences, because I have a few ideas there. I thought that the next afghan after this or these would be a "shades of" afghan. This is one where I pick a color such as green and ask for shades of green--example light green, medium green and dark greeen or shades of rose--this could have shades of pink leading into rose or even fushia.  I am sure that I could come up with more if I thought about it.  I will let you know Katie, when I decide to do this.

Jeannie

OK here are a couple cute/ funny stories for the night.

Yesterday i got off work at one. turned on my Radio (for those that dont know i am EMR and axillaryon the Volunteer Fire Dept.) And they had just been toned out to a fire. The rehab unit needed ice so they stopped at the gas station (where I work) I got them ice and left with them.  36 hay bails were on fire. Lord does that stuff stink. Now i am battling a migraine this evening.  After we left the scene all the trucks went to the Gas station I work at (their acct is there) and fueled up. Well the girl that was running regiater is fairly new still. and she was swamped when we got there. there were like 3 different transactions to pay for the FD gas and apparently one of the trucks got skipped and didnt get paid and wasnt noticed until the drive off alarm started going off 15 minutes later. so she cashed it out called Bill (fire cheif) he came to the station. she called the store manager and Bill called me. I had to go to the station and run the card through the check machine to pay for the fuel. So it was all taken care of. But was funny.

Now a tug at your heart but still kinda funny too.  

My pastors grandson is 2. they recently had to put their Dog down. Explaining to Wes that the Dog would be in heaven. He was ok with it. when asked if he knew where Heaven was he proudly announced Papaws church. Max the Dog was a Papaws church. Because that is where Jesus is and that is where Heaven is. So the poor little guy was convinced that he would see Max today at church. it took 2 hours to explain that Max wouldnt be there and heaven wasnt in the church. Finnally settleing on heaven being on the moon and that is where Max is at. 

Have a great night all

oh my, dragnlady, I didn't know, no wonder you are a busy gal, glad the fire got put out, and the gas got paid for, so sorry about your migrain dragnlady..

Jeannie, a shades of afghan sounds like a really fun idea, hope you run with it, when you get finished up with the other!!

I think sorting in sizes, would be helpful too, easier, certainly. I just either whip stitch mine together, once they are ready to put together, or recently have used the I dunno if it's blanket stitch, or mattress stitch, I know it has to do with a bed though, lol anyway, that is really a good stitch, as it doesn't even show up, so you can use a basic nuetral color like tan, or off white, or something to join, if you border them all say in white, put them together, in white, if you like, then border around the whole thing in beige or tan or whatever you chose. If you need a couple links to those joining methods, lemm know, Ill look them up for you and post here...........

Tomorrow Im going the post office, and the dollar tree next door, it's easy to get in there, no high curbs, so that is good, lol I just need to mail a couple puffys, and get a few paper products at the dollar tree.....then home, lunch, and find something to work on in crochet, lol          all for now, everyone have a great night!!!!

I'm very tired, but it's a good tired. I've been knitting and crocheting a lot. I started a knitted sweater three years ago. Yikes! I doubled my progress. Here's to continuing the trend! I finished two pumpkin trick-or-treat bags my SIL asked for. I added a plastic canvas base and boning on the inside top edge. They stand all by themselves now and are collapsible for storage. I want to try the same on a bigger bag for WIP's. There's also a car seat canopy I started. There's still so much to do! I'm having fun, though.

:hug

post-44469-0-06021900-1411972810_thumb.jpeg

Good morning!

dragnlady - thanks for the stories!

AngelRoseLite - cute container!

Katy and others - hi!

I'm tired this am....nothing like driving 6 hours within 24 hours to make that happen (family visit). Back to work......ugh Monday!

Have a great day all!

kuddles

Katie,

I would appreciate it if you could send me links for the joining methods. Thanks for offering. I have decided to sort my squares by sizes. I have several sizes so this will work better than what I had decided to do.  I am going to do a shades of afghan at some point.  I thought that I might make one for Mama. Her favorite color is pink, so it would be a shades of pink one. 

Re the problem with the chair--it is finally all settled as far as I'm concerned. Kertrina and E. J. didn't come Saturday to help me. They were supposed to come and work on the footrest of the loveseat so that it would be fixed. They didn't come or call, so I told Rusty that I'd just buy a new chair myself.  Last night I went recliner shopping online and I found the perfect chair! I had typed in "durable recliner--easy to operate" and the payment method and I found a link to a Canadian site which is somehow connected to Badcock Furniture. There is a Badcock Furniture in the next town here.  I do not have a price yet. You are supposed to call or e mail them and they will send you the price. I have e mailed them.  The chair itself looks great! It is an oversized recliner that you can use as an extra bed if you want to, or you can use it a recliner.  I was thrilled to find one that I could use as an extra bed. Now I can ask Mama to come and visit or I can have some of my cousins to come and visit and they will have a place to sleep. I had an extra bedroom, but I turned it into an office for myself.  The covering of the chair is fabric.

I notice that it is now light outside and it is cloudy again today. They forecast rain for us today. I hope that we get some.

Jeannie

Good Morning. Day off today then i work for the next 6. Fog was thick this morning. So much so that I was woke up this morning to being toned out because someone called 911 cause their was smoke so thick on one of the county roads that they couldnt see the street in front of them.     It was fog not smoke lol.

How is everyone?  I am working on making a scarf from sashay ribbon. there is a lady at church. She is a little younger then me. When me and the ex split up she was aalways there to try to lift me up. We never really got to know each other outside of church though. 2 weekends ago we had a cookout/ bakesale for church so me and her got to sit and talk and work together and after that we went yardsaling. it was nice. Her favorite color is Black and this ribbon yarn is black with metallic colors run through it. so when this is done it will go to her as a thank you for being there when I needed her. 

Good morning, 

I think my fingers are the only thing that moves today. lol My daughter and son in law moved yesterday and I was the only one who showed to help. Oh my goodness, I'm getting to old to move furniture. I was supposed to cook a pot roast and cream pie to take to a friend's today but thankfully he had the foresight to know I would barely be able to move so he offered to take me out to eat later in the week and pick up his roast. I had to laugh and tell him what did he think, this was a dine in drive through option? lol :P

Vikinggirl, I haven't looked up the offending site but I think I have an idea of what they are trying to do... appeal to a younger crowd. I don't think it's necessary right now because crochet is back as the 'in' thing now days. However, my grandma used to crochet hats when I was young (and it wasn't so popular for kids) and to my shame, I was embarrassed to have to wear some at certain ages. Nowadays, crochet is targeted at kids with kid patterns so they love it. In fact, I use a tag line like... crochet made cool... which to me mainly means that there are so many different options for each age group, there is something for everyone to love. Not meant to offend anyone by any means. 

That being said, I'd give anything to have some of those hats back now. :/  Lucky for me yesterday, I found the LAST known hat my grandma made. My daughter had someone gotten it when she passed on and had it carelessly tossed to the side so it came home with me and I plan on making some up and proudly wearing them. ;)

Hope you all have a wonderful day. 

PS. I've done the join as you go braid before and it's easy and fast and looks beautiful. 

post-44513-135897702663_thumb.jpg
post-44513-135897703943_thumb.jpg

Hi ladies,

Rusty and I are fine here. It is cloudy here today. The weather forecast this morning said that we may get rain today. I hope that we do.

Latest on chair--I think that I posted that I found a perfect recliner for me when I went shopping online last night.  I decided today to call the store to get the price of the recliner.  The lady said that she had one and the chair could be delivered to me. (I'm just in the next town.) I asked the price and she told me. I then decided to call my brother and tell him.  I did and David was surprised that E. J. and Kertrina didn't come on Saturday like they told him that they would. He said that he would buy me a recliner and so I told him about the one I had found on the Badcock site and he said that he could not order it until Friday because he has meetings scheduled and he is supposed to go to New York tomorrow and I guess he will be back on Thursday.  I have sent him the link to the page where the recliner is.  He and I have agreed that the recliners that I have had have not held up like they should and so whatever he buys will be durable and of good quality. I came across some interesting info last night while looking at recliners. I found that some of them are not built to support a large framed person or a heavier one. I am not large framed, but I am a kind of heavier person (heavier than 150 anyway). The recliner that I like so much has been tested to 400 pounds of use for everyday use, so this one should hold up. I told David in my e mail that if he couldn't get that one to please get me one that is similiar.  Anyway, there is light at the end of the tunnel now.  Hope everybody is having a nice Monday.

I have gone through the squares I received so far as queen and I have organized them by size.

Jeannie

I have been very ill for six days now. Just came from the doctors with nausea medicine and medicine for the headache. I sure hope it works.. Lots of iron pills to. Wants me to do the iron infushion but can't till I can drive for its 1 and half hours away. Doctor doesn't want me driving that far. Then it's every other day for 10 days.

I'm going to do lay down. I'm very frustrated and I'll right now.

I been talking with the doctor and a nurse. I just hope this goes a way soon. Doctor said I could go through it for 10 more days.

owlvamp, i wish you were feeling better.  I am so relieved that you saw the Dr.

Rusty's Mom, angelroselite posted a photo of  an afghan not long ago made with all sized squares and it was really pretty. I have an afghan where the larger squares are put together and then the smaller squares were added around it as the border.  Seems like finding durable furniture is a problem these days.  

sopo, pretty ghans

angel I love the pumpkin bag

katy even though our new queen may change her preferences I bet she wouldn't reject squares in her old preference

dragn, cute story, so sorry for the little guy losing his dog.  I think Jim has been on a couple of fire calls that turned out to be rising fog too.  

Kim!! youre a gem!! i was going to do that, and forgot!!! i think i will go with that one!! beautiful!! Im gonna post it now, on the first page, he he he, thanks girlfriend, appreciate the  shall we say, gentle nudge!!!!!!!!!!! Im only gonna add sand, or beige,.or tan to the list, and soft sea foam greens...he he he.

Rusty' mom, glad this is finally getting taken care of, such a todo over it all, you m ust feel a bit relieved that soon, you will have your new chair!!!

Sopo poor thing, what happened to the helpers??? Your ghans by the way, are gorgeous!!

Hi Kuddles, you must have driven at the speed of light!!!!!

Hi dragnlady, my, what a busy life you lead, fog can be bad, I was high up in the mountains of Utah once, and we had to walk trhough some fog to get to the stream, well, turned out, it wasn't fog at all, we were walking through the clouds!!!!!! Wow, burned up some brakes on the way down too as I recall, ha ha, but all was well, streams are crystal clear!!!

Hello to angel, darling little basket/bowl, that is so cute!!

well, yall talked me into it, and Im gonna start collecting 12 inch squares again, I will post on the first page too, but here's a hint,

think aquas, soft sea greens, light blues, some peach, and or coral, and sand colors such as beige, and or tans and cream even, what do you all think of those plus the ones Kim listed above for my sand and sea ghan!!!!! lovely me thinks, and I will edge it in soft white, or ......

so off to add me name to the list ladies, happy evening, have a good one!!!!! how wws your trip Kuddles??

WEll all, those two things are done, and sopo, you are right, of course she wouldn't refuse ANY squares, lol Poor Sandra, my goodness woman, you sure have had a hec of a few days, hope it clears up soon for you.. Feel better soon,and please don't worry bout making squares, till you recover ok. we'll still be here, .. you just need to get well, sopo, how is that cut on your thumb??

My pastors grandson is 2. they recently had to put their Dog down. Explaining to Wes that the Dog would be in heaven. He was ok with it. when asked if he knew where Heaven was he proudly announced Papaws church. Max the Dog was a Papaws church. Because that is where Jesus is and that is where Heaven is. So the poor little guy was convinced that he would see Max today at church. it took 2 hours to explain that Max wouldnt be there and heaven wasnt in the church. Finnally settleing on heaven being on the moon and that is where Max is at. 

Have a great night all

Poor little guy! Kids really say the darndest things! 

oh my, dragnlady, I didn't know, no wonder you are a busy gal, glad the fire got put out, and the gas got paid for, so sorry about your migrain dragnlady..

Jeannie, a shades of afghan sounds like a really fun idea, hope you run with it, when you get finished up with the other!!

I think sorting in sizes, would be helpful too, easier, certainly. I just either whip stitch mine together, once they are ready to put together, or recently have used the I dunno if it's blanket stitch, or mattress stitch, I know it has to do with a bed though, lol anyway, that is really a good stitch, as it doesn't even show up, so you can use a basic nuetral color like tan, or off white, or something to join, if you border them all say in white, put them together, in white, if you like, then border around the whole thing in beige or tan or whatever you chose. If you need a couple links to those joining methods, lemm know, Ill look them up for you and post here...........

Tomorrow Im going the post office, and the dollar tree next door, it's easy to get in there, no high curbs, so that is good, lol I just need to mail a couple puffys, and get a few paper products at the dollar tree.....then home, lunch, and find something to work on in crochet, lol          all for now, everyone have a great night!!!!

I would love to see the links if you wouldn't mind posting them or messaging me with them! I'm always looking for different ways to put my squares together because that really is one of the worst parts for me.That and weaving ends!! 

I'm very tired, but it's a good tired. I've been knitting and crocheting a lot. I started a knitted sweater three years ago. Yikes! I doubled my progress. Here's to continuing the trend! I finished two pumpkin trick-or-treat bags my SIL asked for. I added a plastic canvas base and boning on the inside top edge. They stand all by themselves now and are collapsible for storage. I want to try the same on a bigger bag for WIP's. There's also a car seat canopy I started. There's still so much to do! I'm having fun, though.

I love the pumpkin bag! Plastic canvas on the bottom is genius!! 

Hi ladies,

Rusty and I are fine here. It is cloudy here today. The weather forecast this morning said that we may get rain today. I hope that we do.

Latest on chair--I think that I posted that I found a perfect recliner for me when I went shopping online last night.  I decided today to call the store to get the price of the recliner.  The lady said that she had one and the chair could be delivered to me. (I'm just in the next town.) I asked the price and she told me. I then decided to call my brother and tell him.  I did and David was surprised that E. J. and Kertrina didn't come on Saturday like they told him that they would. He said that he would buy me a recliner and so I told him about the one I had found on the Badcock site and he said that he could not order it until Friday because he has meetings scheduled and he is supposed to go to New York tomorrow and I guess he will be back on Thursday.  I have sent him the link to the page where the recliner is.  He and I have agreed that the recliners that I have had have not held up like they should and so whatever he buys will be durable and of good quality. I came across some interesting info last night while looking at recliners. I found that some of them are not built to support a large framed person or a heavier one. I am not large framed, but I am a kind of heavier person (heavier than 150 anyway). The recliner that I like so much has been tested to 400 pounds of use for everyday use, so this one should hold up. I told David in my e mail that if he couldn't get that one to please get me one that is similiar.  Anyway, there is light at the end of the tunnel now.  Hope everybody is having a nice Monday.

I have gone through the squares I received so far as queen and I have organized them by size.

Jeannie

Jeannie, I really hope you've finally got your chair situation figured out! It definitely sounds like you've got a good chair coming so I hope soon you'll tell us you spent the day in a wonderful new chair! 

KureduColor.pngOh Katy I looked up ocean colors palette....this is so relaxing...im just saying   lol

:manyheart  :manyheart  :manyheart  :manyheart  :manyheart  :manyheart  My favorite colors right there!!

I have been very ill for six days now. Just came from the doctors with nausea medicine and medicine for the headache. I sure hope it works.. Lots of iron pills to. Wants me to do the iron infushion but can't till I can drive for its 1 and half hours away. Doctor doesn't want me driving that far. Then it's every other day for 10 days.

I'm going to do lay down. I'm very frustrated and I'll right now.

I been talking with the doctor and a nurse. I just hope this goes a way soon. Doctor said I could go through it for 10 more days.

I've been thinking about you! Hope you start feeling better soon!  :hug

oh ok, i did it, i committed to another ghan, lol....peaches, tans, beiges, sea greens , aquas,light blues, creams, lt yellows, lavendar,  anything beachy see first thread for details!!!

Im gonna go look for those tutorials now for jeannie, b back soon!

:yay  :yay  Squares for Katie!! 

I got a new book in the mail today that I ordered from ebay that one of our 'ville members was destashing... 101 Granny Squares from Annie's Attic! I'm really excited to have some new inspiration for squares for here and craziebunny's comfortghan! I've only made it looking through to square 27 but so far I love them all! 

I put in my 2 week notice at work this evening. I spent about an hour last night right before bed upset and crying about it and knew I couldn't do this anymore. I do this every Sunday and I just can't handle it. I haven't heard anything from my boss about it yet, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow! 

Hope everyone is off to a good start to their week. I'm off to work on squares and finish looking at my book. I'll be back to check in tomorrow!  :ghug

Wow, I had some catching up to do! Owlvamp, I'm relieved that you went to see the doctor. I'm just sorry that you are still in pain.

Sopo, love the ghans!

Kim, I made a face on one. It's below. I wish I could send you one!

Katie, love the color scheme! Once I finish the current one, I'm collecting for me. I have to start planning.

I know I didn't remember all the replies. I can't multiquote on my phone.

Have a blessed day :)

post-44469-0-26415400-1412035646_thumb.jpg

post-44469-0-04039700-1412035665_thumb.jpg

Kimgoodie, I think that I listed your in the post where I listed all the squares that I have received so far. I am going back in the thread to this post to see if I did list them. I'll let you know here. 

Update: Kimgoodie, I found the post where I listed squares and yours was not listed as you know (I didn't). I don't have your squares. I thought I did, but that was an old empty envelope I remembered.  Sorry. 

Jeannie

Archived