Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Good morning!

I learned of Sheila yesterday from my friend Sue (turtlover) on facebook. So sad to hear of her passing and tragic. Praying for her family!

Up early again today, but only by about 45 minutes. My internal alarm says wake up anytime between 3:30 and 5 these days! Boy a gal turns 58 and everything changes! LOL

Have a good day!

kuddles

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweltering, sweating, suffocating! Why on God's green earth did our local power company think today was a good idea to perform routine maintenance?! Even L.A.'s power company suspended them until after the heat wave. It's in the 90's already. Help! I hope the local library has power. Everyone keep cool :)

good morning

car is running in tip top shape again,you know the saying,if Momma's not happy no one is happy :D

Glad you got your car running! I would be upset without mine!! 

Sweltering, sweating, suffocating! Why on God's green earth did our local power company think today was a good idea to perform routine maintenance?! Even L.A.'s power company suspended them until after the heat wave. It's in the 90's already. Help! I hope the local library has power. Everyone keep cool :)

I can't even imagine! Just plain mean is what it is!! 

Sopo, I love the little hedgehogs! They're getting so big and they're just adorable! 

Well for those of us who work Monday through Friday, we're over half way to the weekend and let me just say... Thank goodness!! No big plans for the weekend, but DH and I do have a Groupon to use so we'll be spending a good part of Saturday driving go-karts and playing putt putt.  :) It's simple but it's nice to just get out and do something different! 

I do have two squares done, but one is kind of an odd size for some reason so I'll have to figure out if I'm taking off or adding to and then I'll be PMing someone for an address. 

wow angel,that is almost inhumane!! try to keep cool is all you can do! and hydrate!

To add insult to injury, the driveway to our units is blocked. The transformer is located on the pole right outside our driveway. Lucky us! If I didn't have roommates, I would not be wearing much today, lol. I've been trapped all day long. Hey, I took my first romantic shower in over 14 years... because I needed light :lol

It's 40 minutes till 6. I'm counting down the seconds.

ohhh, hi everyone... today, I made it down the steps, by myself, down the sidewalk, and into the car, then I drove to a Walgreens,  and went in, and got what I needed, and looked at stuff, and didn't use my cane much, as I had the cart, so I am on the road to yarn shopping soon, lol  Tomorrow, I might venture out again, and each day, do a bit more!! I can finally see some light at the end of the recovery tunnel, lol, and it is Neon yellow Arrow shaped,and Blinking frantically,,,,,,,THIS WAY TO RECOVERY FINISH LINE, ha ha. (4 and a half weeks and counting!)

ohhh, hi everyone... today, I made it down the steps, by myself, down the sidewalk, and into the car, then I drove to a Walgreens, and went in, and got what I needed, and looked at stuff, and didn't use my cane much, as I had the cart, so I am on the road to yarn shopping soon, lol Tomorrow, I might venture out again, and each day, do a bit more!! I can finally see some light at the end of the recovery tunnel, lol, and it is Neon yellow Arrow shaped,and Blinking frantically,,,,,,,THIS WAY TO RECOVERY FINISH LINE, ha ha. (4 and a half weeks and counting!)

Once you've shopped for yarn, you will know you have achieved your goal! Buy the new reflective yarn to symbolize the neon arrow :lol

Hello all!

Heat wave? Here we've been unseasonably cool! Mother Nature sure is funny!

Good for you Katy!

owlvamp - sorry to hear about your baby not feeling well!

Everyone else - howdy!

I got a surprise yesterday at 6 am when I learned my coworker had a family emergency and wouldn't be in. I had to do three intakes with special needs teens and their parents (separate ones)! I've heard her do tons, but never had to do one myself! I'm just the secretary! LOL  Well it went fine! The people were all lovely and I think I nailed it! Whew glad it is over, I was very nervous!

Have a great day all!

kuddles

angel hope today is a cooler one for you.  Sorry your escape plan did not work out.

:cheer  :cheer go katy go.  

owlvamp hope your baby is doing better

kuddles I am sure you did a good job and I bet the people were grateful to not have to reschedule.

Hi, everyone! I'm alive! The only glitch is that the modem stopped working. Coincidence? I wonder if it was a power surge that did it in.

Kuddles, I'm sure you did a fantastic job. Treat yourself to a little something for a job well done :)

angel hope today is a cooler one for you. Sorry your escape plan did not work out.

:cheer:cheer go katy go.

owlvamp hope your baby is doing better

kuddles I am sure you did a good job and I bet the people were grateful to not have to reschedule.

Thanks, bgs. It is about 10 degrees cooler today. Yay! No A/C needed so far.

Owlvamp, praying that your baby is well soon :hug

TTFN :)

i have not heard from Rusty's mom on weather the puffy I sent out on the fourth of this month has been received. This is not a good thing! I sent it to the addy she confirmed for me, checked that and it was current, so don't know what to assume here, hope we hear very soon from her, as it might very well hamper others from sending her squares. Jeanie, come on, let us in on the secret, huh!!! :think

Hi Katie and everybody,

Monday a friend dropped by and brought me the mail and I received 4 puffies and 3 boxes of yarn so the mail is finally here. I was going to post about the puffies on Tuesday, but that was one of those days where everything goes wrong and I just didn't get online that day.  Wednesday was better, and I thought of posting today (Thursday) but then things started going south again. I am finally here. I have not opened the puffies. I am looking forward to opening them. I will open them tomorrow. I read in an earlier post that Katie (I believe) said that she opens a puffy the first thing if she receives one. I am just the opposite. If I receive a puffy, I save it for last so that I will have something to look forward to opening. 

I am putting a stop to this problem of mine. It has been going on for three years. I will say that all of this time it was not a problem, but it is now.  Sometimes I do not keep up with my housework, and I get behind as we all do. Mama thought that she would help me out by hiring someone to do what she referred to as "the heavy cleaning" (cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the oven, mopping the floor.) I was not happy about having someone else in my house, but I agreed that I had gotten behind and I needed some help to catch up with the housework.  That was three years ago. In the meantime, the lady who was hired has added things to this list.  She now takes out the trash, washes the dishes, mops and sweeps the floor, cleans the bathroom, cleans off the kitchen counter, gets my groceries, puts them away, and pays my bills (with my money of course) and she does anything else that I need or want.  I will admit that this is nice.  However, in the last year, I have noticed that she is taking over more and more.  For instance, not long after she came to work, I laid down some rules.  They are: Don't steal from me. Don't throw out anything unless you ask me first.  Don't move my things and not tell me where you put them.  The ideal thing is don't move my things. I will think that whatever I can't find is stolen.  This last is because I have had people who were helping with the housecleaning steal from me. This lady Mama hired does not steal and she doesn't move anything (almost). If she does move something, she tells me.  We were getting alone fine, for the most part, until a few months ago.  As I said, she is taking over more and more.  She reorganizes the things on the kitchen cabinet and when I ask her not to, she says that she is trying to help and she can't put things back in the exact place I had them. If (since) this is true, I wonder, why does she touch the things at all? They are clean.  I am one for everything has a place and should stay in it.  The bleach she uses has something in it that I'm allergic to and of couse she uses it around me.  This makes my eyes run and it is hard to breathe.  I told her this earlier this month and she said that she would buy another brand with a different smell.  I think that she missed my point.  This lady was hired to come twice a month.  Mama paid her. I can't afford her. Last month, this lady came about three times.  Back in December, my brother told me that he paid this lady $1200.  He wondered what she did for this. I told him and we both agree that's too much.  He told me that he would talk to her and get her to coming only twice a month. She would get $450 for this.  Now it is September and last month she was here three times and this month she had been here two times already and she is coming tomorrow.  I have contacted my brother. For some reason, he can get through to her and I can't. I have been unable to contact him. He was in a meeting. I have e mailed him tonight and asked him to contact me so that we could talk about getting rid of Kertrina (the lady who cleans and runs errands for me).  I am considering not letting Kertrina in the house, but I don't know about this. She has already told me (yesterday) that she is coming tomorrow so I guess that I could let her in one more time.  I don't know how to stop her. If I could hear from my brother, I believe that he would at least get her to come only once a month for cashing checks, getting groceries, and paying the light bills. This is all I need somebody for and when I get my new mobility scooter, I won't need anybody for that. 

That is my week. How is everybody else?

Jeannie

Good morning!

Thanks Brenda and AngelRoseLite for your kind words......you know what, I DID do a great job and my coworker/boss told me I did!

Jeannie....wow is all I can say!

I am SO glad it is Friday! Looking forward to my weekend! I have to sew a little zippered turtle pouch then my order for my friend Sue and mom will be complete. No worries, I will take a pic and post when all done!

Have a great Friday!

kuddles

WOW is right!!

I would would just let her know you only need her once a month and what you need her for. She's getting paid so there shouldn't be any complaints. I would love to do it for you but your a little ways away.... Where does your brother live? Good luck just be firm... And stick to your guns.. You can be kind and get the point across.... If it doesn't work then find someone else.

My prayers are with you..

Just a quick check in for the afternoon... I'm still at work and hoping it goes quickly. It's not a terrible day today, but it hasn't been a great week. Went to the post office on my break, cried all the way there, cried all the way back and sat in the parking lot across the street and cried some more. It's just so hard to listen to people talk to you like you're an absolute fool all day and you can't say anything back because there's only 2 people in here and they're thick as thieves and neither is any better than the other! DH and I decided last night that we're going to have to discuss it this weekend. The main reason I'm working is for health insurance and I finally got on the insurance here just to find out they won't cover pre existing conditions until June of next year! I think that's their way to get around not being able to flat out deny you completely. So now the whole reason I needed the insurance (and the job) is out the window until June and I just don't know if it makes any sense to stay to hopefully get full coverage in June and then put up with all the stress and general meanness in the meantime!

I've been working on squares for Sheila (craziebunny) and that's been helping. I've done so little crocheting lately that it was hard to even remember just how therapeutic it was for me! I got 2 finished last night and started a third. One was Katy's puffy flower and it did come out cute! I wish I had used more than one color but I'll do that on the next one I make. I'm hoping I'll have plenty of time for crocheting this weekend too!

Angel, I'm glad it's cooled down there for you!

Katy, I'm glad you're starting to really get around! Won't be long and you'll be cruising around just like normal!

angel sorry about the modem, its kind of suspect that the power surge did it in but you won't get the electric company to admit it.  Glad you are having a cooler day.

kuddles, I really want to see the turtle zippered pouch, sounds so cute, and I am glad your boss acknowledged that you did a great job.

Rusty's Mom sorry about all the problems.  I understand you looking forward to opening your puffies but you are leaving us all hanging here in suspense wondering if  our packages ever arrived let alone if you liked them or not.   

yarn_monkey  :hug  :hug  Think about Peanut and mentally go to a happy place.  

Hi everybody,

I am here today.  To answer the question re my brother--he lives in Arkansas along with my sister-in-law Mary (his wife).  I was able to get in touch with him this morning.  He said that he had been out of town for the past two days and that was why I couldn't get in touch with him. I told him a little about Kertrina.  David (my brother) said that he would talk to me later this weekend since he was playing catch up with his work today since he had been out of town on business for two days.  I did tell him that part of the reason that I do not want Kertrina is that she comes just when she feels like it.  He said that she is supposed to come only twice a month and Kertrina has already been here three times.  He gave me the dates that she came.  Reason that he knows this is that Kertrina calls him before she comes here so that she will get paid.  I told David that I was toying with the idea of not letting Kertrina in the house today and he said that I should let her in today since he told her that it was okay to be here today, but not again until after the first of October, so I said that I'd let her in today, but so far she has not come.  I don't care except that she got money for no work. I will let David know that she did not come.  He will deal with her.  He is a very smart man.  I know he is my brother, but he is also very intelligent and he is easygoing and does not get upset so quickly like I do sometimes.  I have thought that I might make a list of rules for Kertrina and give her a copy of them and send a copy to David and I will keep a copy.  That way, I think that she will understand what she can do and not do.  I don't know if this will work, but it's at least worth a try. Who knows? It might work. 

I read that some of us are not doing so well. I understand how you feel. 

Katie, I read that you are now getting around by yourself and you actually can drive some.  You are doing great! Just hang in there and go slow. You will be your old self soon. 

I still have not opened the puffies, even though I meant to. If Kertrina's son had not come this morning, I would have already opened them, but he showed up while I was watching Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.  E.J. (Kertrina's son) is not quite as bad as she is.  However, there is something--you have to be careful because he will steal money from you before you know it.  He has stolen $60 from me. I told Kertrina and she made it good.  (this stealing was last year). I have my money beside me on a table so that he can't get it. 

I hope that when David calls me, he and I can work out something that will work. 

Hope everyone's day is better than the last one.

Jeannine

Archived