Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

Hi everybody,

Now at last what you've all been waiting for--puffy news! I have gone through a lot of the mail (ok, some of it) and I opened the puffies! I love them! Thanks to bgs, Katie, sopo, and C. Short for the lovely squares. bgs, thank you for the nice surprise in the puffy you sent! I love the little towel with the crocheted top. I have needed one of those for a long time. Thanks for crocheting the towel topper and sending it and the towel along with your squares. As it happens, I live in a rural area and my Daddy grew up on a farm, so I like the choice of the towel very much. Would or could you send me the pattern for the towel topper? Please let me know. You can post here or pm--either one.  Now for the count of the squares--from sopo 1 blue (2 or 3 inch), 2 light yellow (2 or 3 inch), one white 2 or 3 inch and one white, one pink with light blue center, and one light blue with white center.  Now from our Katie I found many small squares. There were 6 and the colors are white (1), light blue (3--2 different shades very pretty), 1 varigated blue and white (lovely) and one varigated pink, white and light blue.  Fron bgs I found that adorable towel with the crocheted towel topper and in addition I found many squares. Here's the count of hers--26.  Here are the colors:  yellow 4, light blue 6, pink 4, light green 5, purple 5, white 1, pink small 2 and three varigated pink, blue and yellow small 3.  From C. Short I received a lovely card and some beautiful squares. Here are the colors--one light green with white center (large) and one pink. I loved both of them. There was an extra white which slipped on the floor just now. I love it too whoever sent it.  Thanks loads girls!!! I love all these squares and in different sizes too. I like that and I love all of these squares. My humblest apologies for waiting so long to open the puffies and thank you. I won't wait so long again. However, in my defense life got in the way this time.  Hope everybody has a nice day today.

Jeannie

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please be careful when you go to bed tonight! Set an alarm to go off a couple times overnight or have your daughter call and wake you up! I've had several and those concussions are no joke! 

I love those squares! Although like just about everyone else, my WIP and To Do lists are just too long to handle! When I get the comfortghan done, I'll have a little more room to maneuver. 

Tomorrow is Wednesday!    Means halfway through the week and that's how I have to look at it... one day at a time, one less day till the weekend.

I thought about applying at Hobby Lobby and just working there part time instead of my job now... anyone work there or know anyone who does who has thoughts to share as far as how they are as an employer? I'd just have to keep my blinders on and not spend all my paycheck on yarn! 

And forgot to share this yesterday... Sister knows what trouble i've been having at work, so she bought me this mousepad as a surprise to keep me company when I'm upset at/about work. I can't have my Peanut there with me, but at least I have this! 

attachicon.gif2014-09-21 17.40.12.jpg

that mousepad is adorable!! I have one of my then three cats, love it too!

:lol I'm so jealous! I really want to get those pattern. I love her creativity.

Later that evening...

Thank you so much for the new square pattern, Kim.  I love it!  I'm starting a sort of quilt afghan for my bff to gift a coworker for a baby he and his wife are expecting

terrific square , i love it!

Good morning Chatties!

owlvamp - be so careful, hope your head is better today!

everyone else - well be careful as well, we all should be careful! And happy!

I'm so happy it is mid week!

Have a SUPER day all!

kuddles

and same to you!!

Angelroselite.   Beautiful color combination  

Kuddles   I tried to get up before you this morning....didn't happen   lol  My goal is beat kuddles up in the morning   lol

Good morning all

She's becomming a bit of a night owl, me thinks! lol

I better start attaching these together eh? Lol

Humm, we have a couple more biggest squares to do, so, maybe you should  wait, lol 

kimgoodie, you have been maaking and mailing out some really pretty squares.  I think the only way to beat kuddles up in the morning is to not go to bed the night before.

yarn_monkey I love the Peanut mousepad.  I hope it helps you through the day.  Try to choose not to let what your coworker says upset you.  Don't give her that power over you.  I know, easier said than done.  

kuddles, just seeing your sunflower cues me to be happy in two ways, first she 's been here and second I associate sunflowers with happy.  

owlvamp, I hope you are okay today.

angel, I like the way the colors in your square really show off the heart and wings.  Congrats on your purse winning and the gift card.

katy, glad you are out, about and nearly back to normal.  I have been collecting patterns for handwarmers but haven't been able to decide which one to try.  Then I know I have problems making two of things turn out the same size.  Depending on the wording if they say solid squares I take it to mean either squares of all one color or no holes and if they don't want variegated that they would have stated no variegated just as they state what other colors they did not want.  I don't know but somehow it always seems to work out in the end.  

yes I do, thanks, and how is Sandra doing today withm her injury?

slow start here,trying to get people up for the day was like pulling teeth,I don't like starting my day at noon,when I get up at 7:30

I know that doesn't make a bit of sense to some.but others may know what I mean....sigh,better times are coming ? eh?

I have not got that problem, lol, but I know what you mean!

Hi everybody,

Now at last what you've all been waiting for--puffy news! I have gone through a lot of the mail (ok, some of it) and I opened the puffies! I love them! Thanks to bgs, Katie, sopo, and C. Short for the lovely squares. bgs, thank you for the nice surprise in the puffy you sent! I love the little towel with the crocheted top. I have needed one of those for a long time. Thanks for crocheting the towel topper and sending it and the towel along with your squares. As it happens, I live in a rural area and my Daddy grew up on a farm, so I like the choice of the towel very much. Would or could you send me the pattern for the towel topper? Please let me know. You can post here or pm--either one.  Now for the count of the squares--from sopo 1 blue (2 or 3 inch), 2 light yellow (2 or 3 inch), one white 2 or 3 inch and one white, one pink with light blue center, and one light blue with white center.  Now from our Katie I found many small squares. There were 6 and the colors are white (1), light blue (3--2 different shades very pretty), 1 varigated blue and white (lovely) and one varigated pink, white and light blue.  Fron bgs I found that adorable towel with the crocheted towel topper and in addition I found many squares. Here's the count of hers--26.  Here are the colors:  yellow 4, light blue 6, pink 4, light green 5, purple 5, white 1, pink small 2 and three varigated pink, blue and yellow small 3.  From C. Short I received a lovely card and some beautiful squares. Here are the colors--one light green with white center (large) and one pink. I loved both of them. There was an extra white which slipped on the floor just now. I love it too whoever sent it.  Thanks loads girls!!! I love all these squares and in different sizes too. I like that and I love all of these squares. My humblest apologies for waiting so long to open the puffies and thank you. I won't wait so long again. However, in my defense life got in the way this time.  Hope everybody has a nice day today.

Jeannie

sounds like you got some lovely squares Jeannie!! Thanks for posting, better late, I guess, than not at all!! Nice variety, and a towel too, lucky girl!!!  ( there is much celebrating in the "Skein room" hearing of the news of arrival of their friends, all squares are now dancing a jig!! I think they have had a few, yarnqueritas to drink too!!)

ps. Jeanie, I adore your new size and color font, so much easier for me to read without hunting for my magnifiers!! Thank you!!

Since hubby is outta town one more night I am staying up and getting sopos darn squares done. Lol I keep forgetting. I'm sorry :((

Katy, I always forget about the queen exchange the possibilities are so endless on how to arrange the squares I keep re arranging and re re arranging..what's the definition of insanity? Lol

Hugs!!

I'm so far behind. I haven't been able to really jump on and check things out here.  Life is crazy busy in library world and I still don't have a home computer. I've been working on our great niece or nephew-to-be's baby blanket... it's a corner to corner. But other than that, I haven't accomplished much of anything.

Good morning!

Oh Kimgoodie - like Brenda said, you'll only beat me on here if you stay up all night! LOL But go ahead and try! Was awake so got up at 4:30 today!

Brenda - glad my sunflower makes you happy! I took that picture myself and loved it!

Hope my all my peeps will have a great day! For me, kiddles and I will be visiting my family so I won't be on here Saturday. But I'll be sure to pop in tomorrow!

Hey Kimgoodie - you can beat me Saturday! LOL

Have a super great day, keep smiling, keep swimming and choose happiness!

kuddles

Kuddles you made me laugh out loud....Girl when I saw that 551am....I knew I didn't have a fighting chance.   But just thinking I can beat you.....encourages me to be to work on time.   LOL   Have an awesome weekend with family.    Kisses for kiddles.

Goodmorning All

Hello Everyone!

Schools are closed here today. A friend and I had planned to go visit my daughter and grandkids today but my friend called yesterday to tell me that her little girl has a fever, so I am home today. I slept an extra 45 minutes and then got up and started sewing. I took a break to run to Joanns for velcro and picked up a burger and fries at Five Guys, so I thought I would have lunch with all of you. There is not much else going on here. Have a great day!

:lol I'm so jealous! I really want to get those pattern. I love her creativity.

Later that evening...

Thank you so much for the new square pattern, Kim.  I love it!  I'm starting a sort of quilt afghan for my bff to gift a coworker for a baby he and his wife are expecting :)

I want those patterns also.

I love that heart with wiings

hi holly, kuddles, dragnlady, kay and carol! hope the rest of you are good, Im doing fine today, it's nice weather, no ac, or heat, lol, hope it last forever, I would be happy! They say Hawaii has the best weather, very temperate, and moderate, not too hot, nor too cold ever, but it is very expensive to live there, do we have anyone that has lived there in here??? Maybe Ill win that lottery sometime, huh!!

other than that, nothing much else to write home about happening here, same old stuff, different day, ha ha. Take care all, till later!

Jeannie this is the link to the towel topper pattern that inspired mine.  http://www.crochetnmore.com/nosewtoweltopper.htm

I made everything dc and adjusted it but don't have a written pattern for it.  In fact it its been awhile since I have made one I have to look at one to remember what I did.  Glad you enjoyed your package but sounds like something wierd happened on its journey.  I packed  25 4 inch squares 5 each lt blue, lt yellow, petal pink, pale plum and honeydew.  

kimgoodie, saw your cal,  maybe you will keep us inspired, I  think I have made at least 70 squares this month for an afghan for Christmas and am dragging my feet in getting it put together

Jeannie this is the link to the towel topper pattern that inspired mine. http://www.crochetnmore.com/nosewtoweltopper.htm

I made everything dc and adjusted it but don't have a written pattern for it. In fact it its been awhile since I have made one I have to look at one to remember what I did. Glad you enjoyed your package but sounds like something wierd happened on its journey. I packed 25 4 inch squares 5 each lt blue, lt yellow, petal pink, pale plum and honeydew.

kimgoodie, saw your cal, maybe you will keep us inspired, I think I have made at least 70 squares this month for an afghan for Christmas and am dragging my feet in getting it put together

Have you tried the continuous join? It only took my three days because I worked on it for short periods. There were very few ends to weave in.

good morning everyone. ive been up since 3am, now getting kids ready for school and me ready for work. yippie. Im tired and cranky and I wanna go back to bed LOL. buuuuut I got my first paycheck today. a whole 61$ out of 82$. stupid taxes, $22 is ridiculous.

Hope you all have a good day.

Good morning!  I thought I'd beat Kuddles to the punch by being the first to post, and instead Kuddles AND Immafreak beat me!  I think I'll go to bed now.  It's 4:41 a.m., and I have yet to sleep a wink.  Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Have you tried the continuous join? It only took my three days because I worked on it for short periods. There were very few ends to weave in.

Yep, I have joined 5 together using that method this past year.  I need to finish the border on one, another one is almost ready to put together and then I might need to make squares for another one before Christmas.  You see the irony in all of this is when I joined this group one of the reasons I gave Sue for not collecting squares was I knew I would never get them joined together.  Then when my aunt passed away I was left with boxes and boxes of squares.  I had to get them put together because I was the only one that could do it and some of those squares my mom had made (she's been gone for 20 years).  The first 3 I joined using the flat braid method which is really pretty.  Then I tried the continuous join and it will always be my first choice from here on out........pretty fast and so few ends.   Good try on trying to beat kuddles and sweet dreams.

Good morning everyone

Looks like no one can beat Kuddles up, not even the ones that have been up all night.   Hilarious

Come on in and join us BGs...get that afghan done before thanksgiving.  

I need to have some of the squares approved before I lay it out to make sure that she is okay with my color combinations.  It won't take long to put it together after I get it laid out.   I need to finish the border on another one.  I have kind of set them aside right now to make some fun potholders.  

so, some of us were sure up with the birds, before the birds actually, lol. WOW,i really slept like a rock,usually Im awake serveral times a night, for a bit,. and then back to sleep, but last night, I think I actually slept all the way through,. must have needed it.Just found out today, that my friend that I borrowed the crutchs and walker from is moving next week!! what!! I don't know many details yet, and will find out later today, as handyman is hauling some unwanteds for her to goodwill, so will find out then, Im g0nna miss her a lot!!

Must have been something that came up fast though, don't wanna pry, but will talk to her later today, sheesh, that was sure a gobstopper of news this am!!

ok,well, Im off to the store a bit later, out of potatoes,and popcorn, and almost diet coke, lol,FOr which I can leave in the car, till handy man gets back, to carry in, not good at carrying things yet with bad ankle, not a good risk to take!!

Other than that, Im free, fancy free today, nothing major to do, changing my bed is all, and maybe vac. the hall and living room, as I did the other areas, yesterday... all for now, see you later, oh, i joined Kimgoodies square a day, figured I could then use whatever I made in this thread, lol...hope to see a lot of you there as well!! I probably won't make one each day of Oct, but will post what I do get done, and use them here, no doubt!! Bgs, does that maybe mean, you want to collect squares again???

Does the continuous join have to be done, as you make them, cause I never know how to lay them out, till they are all done, lol and I can play with it a bit, lemme know, those of you that have used it, thanks.......

katy, sorry you are losing a good neighbor.

I make all my squares except for the last row.  I lay them out and then pick up each square in the row in order, pin them together with a tag that has the row number on it.  After you get the hang of it it goes really fast and the number of ends you have to work in because of joining is determined by the  number of skeins of yarn you have to use.These are the join as you go instructions I use.  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/joining-as-you-go-without-cutting-the-thread  Mine did not look quite as tight so I eliminate some of the chains to tighten it up and at the corners I slip stitch into a diagonal corner as well as the sc into the corner of the squares I am joining.  I just played with it a bit until I got it tightened in the way I wanted.  This is the last one I put together still trying to use up my aunt's squares.

post-11309-0-69329500-1411753917_thumb.jpg

bgs, I'm sure you're having fun putting all of the squares together, LOL. I always put that off as long as I can... that is, before learning the continuous join. I want to try the braided join next. It's so pretty.

Katy, the join-as-you-go method is used as you're making the squares. The continuous join is used when the squares are made and now you want to join them.

Good morning!

Kimgoodie - glad I made ya laugh!

Everyone be good while I'm gone visiting! They just opened a Joanns in my mother's home town so you know where I'm going this afternoon! Woot!

Hugs!

kuddles

While the cats away.........

Good morning!  I thought I'd beat Kuddles to the punch by being the first to post, and instead Kuddles AND Immafreak beat me!  I think I'll go to bed now.  It's 4:41 a.m., and I have yet to sleep a wink.  Have a wonderful day, everyone!

I am gonna start posting when i am getting ready for work in the morning. 4 am EST

forum is slow today, with the pages coming up; anyone else notice that..

I have pm'd our soon to be newest queen of Said Squaresville, awaiting reply, and we will have two more next month, I thought, (unless other wise people hating the idea of two in Nov) that we have two more now, as it stands, no others will be eligible, so the remaining two, will both be in November, and have a different kind of bash for the holidays or a fav. chairity sort of thing in Dec, or run this thru dec, and skip the holiday bash/or chairity bash, what do you all think. I want to get all active members in, this includes two come backs,that have never been a biggest square before,  and start fresh.

Ok, think it over, and lemme know, Im sure our BIGGEST SQUARES wouldn't  mind, but would just be happy that we fit everyone in by Dec, and go from there!!!! I sorta would like a secret santa in dec, like we did last time, or a favorite charity bash, where everyone does what they can through out the month for their favorite chairity, and shares pics, and stuff with all of us, and then at the end of dec, or the first of jan, we will all make our donations, what do you think??

Archived