Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all,

busy busy kuddles!! hi everyone...

Hope your weekend went well, pineknott in for some rain, as we are later or tomorrow, and kuddles, probably after we pass it on to you, lol

kay, i love honey,

story time! Nebraska state historical lesson number 1. lol

we used to live down the road from a bee keeper, and he always brought us a huge quart mason jar full of fresh honey at havest time... He was also my mom's plumber, lol just so you know, lol....Nice man, us kids never cared much for his wife however, she seemed mean to us, but Mac was always a kind hearted guy.. He brought us apples too, from one of his many apple trees! I wouldn't eat them though, saw too many cartoons where worms were inside, lol    I ate the apples from the stores though, i knew they wouldn't have worms,lol

We would go to Nebraska City, the apple capital of the world,  lol every fall, and pick  a crate, or bushel of apples,and or some of the other fruits there. There were wagon rides to the orchards, and hot apple cider when you returned to the grounds, It was always fun, and then visit John Brown's cave, which always sort of freaked me out,as it was close quaters, and dark and damp,  the rooms were still there, where they hid slaves, from the southerners I guess......post-40621-0-78394200-1410131896.jpg

The cave was much darker, steeper, and damper as I remember, than the pic.

Did you all know that Arbor day began here in Nebraska..by J sterling Morton, (think Morton's salt family) and he and his family lived at what is now a museum called Arbor Lodge.  .and a lot of the trees planted were apple trees in Nebraska city! ( Johnny Appleseed) We would always visit Arbor Lodge too there, which was a beautiful old mansion, and you toured through it, I always loved seeing the old piano there, and always wanted to play it, but of course, no one was allowed, lol 

i still like apples, to this day, I prefer Roma apples, but they are somewhat hard to find here year round......

End of story time,thankyou all for coming!!!! he he he!

Good morning!

Great story Katy!

I did NOT want to get up today!

Really don't want to work but who really does! Kiddles has a test and we didn't study at all. I'm a bad mom!

Have a great day!

kuddles

Happy belated birthday, Kuddles! It sounds like it was a very nice day. May this year be full of love and blessings.

I love all the pics and stories I've been reading here. I haven't posted much, but I've been lurking. I took a four-voice dictated test at 200 wpm this past Saturday. I had that to prepare for and worry about. I think I may have scored a perfect or near-perfect score. We turn in the transcript of the dictation, and then we're ranked according to test scores. It's for the California Workers' Comp Appeals Board. When vacancies become available, they offer the spots to those of us on the list. I hope I scored high. I am ready for a steady paycheck and benefits. Other than getting ready for that, I have been crocheting to keep my nerves down. It's going to be a long six to eight weeks of waiting for the results.

It's been so hot in the L.A. area! I almost fainted due to the heat inside the house today. I gave in and turned the AC on. It's supposed to rain here maybe tomorrow and Tuesday. That humidity makes it even worse. I'm ready for winter.

How is everyone? Katie, are you feeling better? I'm praying for you :)

Happy Monday!

Maria

kuddles you aren't a bad mom. We all have our moments. I can show you a bad mom but wont bore you to tears.

Theres many days i feel like a bad mom or even failed my children. You'll do better. Chin up!!

good morning everyone

Angel, the waiting is the worst,all the best for steady work and benefits

Kuddles,we all have our days like that

owlvamp, :hug again I say we all have our moments and wonder if we did the right thing

Hello all!

I'm sorry I haven't been around in so long and I've missed you all and the great conversations!! I can't lie, I haven't been back through the thread to see what I've missed, but I do plan on checking in more often. I promise!

I've been at my new job for 3 months now and let's just say the novelty of it being new have worn off!! And I really don't like it anymore... I hate going and I hate coming home knowing that I have to go back. It's put a damper on my crochet time and everything else because it just really bums me out! I get home and I just don't want to do anything but dinner and sit on the couch.

I know I have at least one square finished and I think another one that is only a couple rounds shy of done. Hopefully I can get it finished and out this week or weekend.

I also received 2 beautiful squares from sopo and I hope to get pictures posted of those sometime this week too.

Miss you all and I really will be back more often!!!!

sopo congrats on your fair entries.

kuddles happy belated birthday, sounds like you had a nice day. And you are definately not a bad mom!

a.creative.mrs, this is the first time in many years we weren't extracting honey over labor day weekend.  Our last hive died didn't make it to this past spring.  Between gearing our selves up for moving in a few years, small hive beetle and the mites we didn't relace them.  I really didn't miss all the work getting everything out and cleaning everything before and after.  We never got around to building a honey house for extracting so it was done in the kitchen even though we were advised against it by the members of the local bee association.  The kitchen is also the storage area for 5 gal buckets of honey and bottled honey.  

katy, interesting story, thanks for sharing,  hope you make it out of the house soon

angelroselite, we are dreading winter here, I don't think we can stay out here much longer between the mowing and the snow.  We think we need to at least move into the city.  Good luck on the job

pineknott glad you finally got some rain.  Grass stayed green here all summer.  I can't remember when the last time that has happened.  Normally it turns brown and crunchy in July and August.  

yarn_monkey glad you checked in, so sorry you are not happy with the job, I have been missing Peanut updates

Rusty's Mom I mailed your package today.  The estimated delivery date is Thurs

My dad has started chemo and is in the sick and miserable phase from side effects.  All prayers and good wishes are much welcomed and appreciated.

On another note my 25+ year old tv has been trying to die on me the last couple of years.  I have had 4 people offer me tvs but they were bigger than my tv and I was afraid my stand wouldn't hold them as it has already bowed some from my tv.  I was also going to have to move a lot of stuff stored on the shelf of the stand somewhere else and I had no clue where because I would no longer have the spot on top of the tv for the vcr and my seasonal decorations, etc.  I have been keeping an eye out for stands new or used for over two years.   I went to a thriftshop with my sister and niece on Sat and found the perfect stand and better yet it was half price day. (My dad got a new tv last week and I could have his old one but when I left home Sat morning I thought I was going to have to decline it.)  We loaded the stand in my sister's van and then picked up the tv.  They hauled it home for me (mind you we live 45 miles away).  They helped me move things, vacuum, set it up, get everything hooked up  and then we hauled off the old stuff.  This stand takes up just a little more floor space but not much------most stands or entertainment centers were way too big to work in our space.  It has the bottom shelf with glass doors, the shelf for the tv, a shelf above it for the vcr and then the top for my holiday/seasonal stuff.  It is sturdy, and only had minor scratches or worn places on it.  It's so much nicer than the old one.   I also found a board that swivels at the thrift store and also bought that.  We set the tv on it so I can easily swivel it around to get behind it  or so you can see it better depending on where you are sitting.  

Sun we met with one of Jim's distant cousins at the Genealogy library in Independence MO.  Their great great grandpas were brothers and were in the same unit in the civil war.  We actually met her on line three years ago just after she left this area and moved to FL.  She brought some old photos to see if we could figure out who the people were.  We really think it was her great great grandpa's album and we think we have identified quite a few of the people.  Jim was pretty sure that one of the photos was his great great grandma and grandpa's wedding photo.  It's a photo he has never seen before but he does have a photo of each of them when they were a little older.  

Sorry to ramble on.  

I scrolled through ALL the old posts I've missed! Whew!! I really enjoyed all the eye candy though! Makes me want to go home and pick up my hook and some yarn and maybe make some progress on one of the 15 WIPs I have stashed around the living room!

Brenda, Peanut is getting bigger and bigger! DH says I can't keep calling him Peanut because he's getting too big and maybe I should pick a bigger nut. I said I don't care if he grows to 6'5", he will always be my peanut! I'll just have to stop calling him that when he's around his friends. He's trying to crawl now, and he can move his little legs, but hasn't figured out how to move his hands and stay upright. When he does, he winds up with his face hitting the floor. I shouldn't laugh, but sometimes I can't help it. He does keep right on trying though and the only thing he's fussy about is that he's teething. He is so smiley and happy otherwise!! When I get to my computer at home, I'll have to post some pictures.

I scrolled through ALL the old posts I've missed! Whew!! I really enjoyed all the eye candy though! Makes me want to go home and pick up my hook and some yarn and maybe make some progress on one of the 15 WIPs I have stashed around the living room!

Brenda, Peanut is getting bigger and bigger! DH says I can't keep calling him Peanut because he's getting too big and maybe I should pick a bigger nut. I said I don't care if he grows to 6'5", he will always be my peanut! I'll just have to stop calling him that when he's around his friends. He's trying to crawl now, and he can move his little legs, but hasn't figured out how to move his hands and stay upright. When he does, he winds up with his face hitting the floor. I shouldn't laugh, but sometimes I can't help it. He does keep right on trying though and the only thing he's fussy about is that he's teething. He is so smiley and happy otherwise!! When I get to my computer at home, I'll have to post some pictures.

Yes, he will always be your Peanut.  I knew he would have to have grown and changed a lot since you last reported on him.  I am glad that even though this job is sucking most of the joy out of your life that you are making time to enjoy your Peanut.   

a suckie job, we've all had those, for sure, time to look for something different perhaps that you don't dread going to... I feel for you, I know that feeling...

Bees and hives, such stories, thanks for those, I love reading those kinds of posts, ha ha..

yes, peanut, we have wondered about him and you yarn monkey, glad you are checking in with us!!

Nice find bgs. ilove getting things half price!! sounds like it is a good fit, see that is why i didn't let daughter and son in law put that big screen in the living room, too much moving about stuf, and rearranging and Iwould have lost a short entertainment center, I like it in the bedroom now, got used to it, and it's just so much less trouble than putting it in the living room

So what else, oh friend came over today, to see how I as doing, and brought lunch for her and me and handyman too, as he was home from his fix it adventures today... 

I swear, he and I could co write a book about some of things he has encountered in his handyman adventures, lol May do that one day!!

There was a lady, thought for sure she had a bat in her heating vent in the living room......So he gets there,and she tells him, I know it's a bat, as I can see it's wings moving when the heat comes on... So he took a look...Turned out to be a piece of insulation in the vent, blowing back and forth when the heat came on or turned off.....sigh............ :shrug

Another gal, thought for sure there was a wild animal under her porch, in pain, and groaning....He comes to take a look, didn't find anything, went inside to tell her, and noticed the fragrance dispenser in the living room, that dispenses automatically, was making a groan when it came on every few minutes, so showed her, and when it came on again, it was what she had been hearing all along, no wild animals in pain groaning, just a noisy air freshner! :think

I got a million of those stories, lol but you all can read about them, after we write the book, lol..

everyone, enjoy the evening, and Ill catch you all later!!!! :ghug

katy, it sounds like handyman has some good stories.  I bet those ladies were relieved but embarrassed when they found out the real causes of their noises.  I really lucked out because it was at a thrift store---one of the pricier ones but it was half off and exactly what I needed. I totally understand why you didn't want the big tv in the living room.

well,remember how I was wanting some rain??well I'm over it now.we had flooding rain,our backyard was one big pond

we only had that once before with Hurricane type rains,our main road was flooded too,too bad I didn't think about my car sooner

Bill said there was an inch or two of water in it,yep that how bad the street flooded,ah well won't have to water for a few days now,heehee

I make it a point to see Peanut at least once a week. His sweet little smiles just warm my heart. He and DH keep me happy! He loves elephants right now, so I want to make him one of those little blankets that has an elephant head on it... I forget what they're called. He'll be 6 months old on the 18th and his favorite things are elephants, toes, and avocado! 

Side note... Thank goodness for auto save because somehow my window closed when I was trying to get pictures!

post-11765-0-75728300-1410224836_thumb.jpg

post-11765-0-28045500-1410224838_thumb.jpg

post-11765-0-67353900-1410224839_thumb.jpg

post-11765-0-21376300-1410224841_thumb.jpg

Good morning! Whew, what a chatty group for a Monday! Love it!

Thanks everyone for saying I'm not a 'bad mom'......yes we have all had those moments and I am sure I will continue to! No one told me just how hard it is to be a mom....well to be a good mom!

Good luck Maria on Saturday!

Nikki - boy do I understand not liking your job! I have had a few of those! Finally now that I have my newer coworker (kind of like my boss but not fully), life is good for me at work! At least the person I spend most of my time with. I'd still love to retire....but that ain't gonna happen ever! LOL

Oops, gotta get moving so I'll just give a big hello to the rest of you!

Have a great day!

kuddles

Good morning!

Need to make a bottle for little man. It never fails I want to sit a spell and he fusses. Its okay i'll make him his bottle and he will fall a sleep and then off to get dishes done and vacuum. Fun Fun!!!

well,remember how I was wanting some rain??well I'm over it now.we had flooding rain,our backyard was one big pond

we only had that once before with Hurricane type rains,our main road was flooded too,too bad I didn't think about my car sooner

Bill said there was an inch or two of water in it,yep that how bad the street flooded,ah well won't have to water for a few days now,heehee

Oh no, sorry your car got soggy.  I hate it when we need rain and it comes down so fast that it runs off rather than soaking into the ground.

I make it a point to see Peanut at least once a week. His sweet little smiles just warm my heart. He and DH keep me happy! He loves elephants right now, so I want to make him one of those little blankets that has an elephant head on it... I forget what they're called. He'll be 6 months old on the 18th and his favorite things are elephants, toes, and avocado! 

Side note... Thank goodness for auto save because somehow my window closed when I was trying to get pictures!

Peanut is so cute and those were some pretty squares from sopo

You all have been chatty and busy. There is not much going on here so I'm not very chatty but I am keeping busy. I finished my grandson's dinosaur costume and I've started one for my granddaughter. I went to my sewing guild meeting last night which was fun as usual. Guess thats it for me. Have a great evening.

hi all

darling peanut and very pretty squares!!!!

sandra is keeping busy, as is carol, kuddles, and bgs, lol

sorry about that flooded car too pineknott!!

lots of rain here, we had 2 plus inches, in like 20 minutes already earlier, and now I hear it's raining lightly again, flooding in some places, not here though, thank goodness.

Also not feeling particularly well this evening, might have been that big mac i had yesterday, stomache is acting up,, and  if that isn't enough, the other end is well, I won't go into details there, lol  soo what to do, huh, lol ride it out I guess, no other choice....

walked around the house today, without my crutch for a crutch, lol, doing better all the time, i knew it would be a long recovery, but shesh, 23 days so far, isn't that enough, lol

well, im being coaxed away again, with these stomach cramps, so off I go, everyone have a great night!!! Hopefully, there will be an end in sight soon, for this latest malady!!! see y ou tomorrow!!

when Bill called from up on the main thoroughfare it was pouring sooooooooooo hard,he had to wait to go into the store

it wasn't raining here at the time! heard on the news today that area got 6 inches of rain,it just stalled over that area for an hour or two.

Good Night everyone!!

Still very busy tonight and should be the next few days as well. Will check in as much as I can.

I am cutting out flannel right now to make some pacifer holders, Mittens and wash clothes. Then will have to sew it all.

My job is cut out for me and then need to get it to my sister.

My sister is adopting a baby boy this month. So she has to start from scratch and so I need to think what Ill make her.

Archived