Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love love love the squares! I'm so glad the 'ville is back up.

We had a weird and scary episode happen to us today. I had taken the kids to the park today for lunch. We were on the way home, in our street about 5 houses away from home and my youngest took the keys and ran the rest of the way home to play as he usually does. This teenager came running out of a yard in front of us and ran up the street. I thought nothing of it and was talking to the other kids when one of them goes "mum that kid jumped our gate!" we had just seen Tristan my youngest go out there because he was having a bit of trouble opening our door. I start panicking and the dude jumps my gate again and starts running back towards us. He must of realized tristan was with us because he stops and leans on someone else's fence with his head on his arms so we couldn't see his face. When I got beside him I asked him what he was doing in my yard. He looked at me and kept on apologizing. It was obvious something was terribly wrong with him, my guess was drugs. I kept going home to check Tristan and I could still hear him apologizing to me. Tristan came out the front to assure me he was ok and told me the kid wanted tristan to let him in to our house. Then I could hear him yelling out for someone called Kieran and was worried the other guy was in our yard. Next thing I know two police cars come screeching to a halt out the front. Someone had already rang them. I told them what happened, showed them where he was and they took him off in an ambulance.

My poor boy is shaken up and I'm so glad Tristan had not been able to open the door, the thought of my boy being stuck in a house with an unstable teenager is terrifying; or that the teenager hadn't lost it on Tristan when he refused to let him in our house.

I can honestly say the kids won't be running ahead of me again anytime soon. The possible danger my son could have been in while we were so close, but too far away is scary!

Love love love the squares! I'm so glad the 'ville is back up.

We had a weird and scary episode happen to us today. I had taken the kids to the park today for lunch. We were on the way home, in our street about 5 houses away from home and my youngest took the keys and ran the rest of the way home to play as he usually does. This teenager came running out of a yard in front of us and ran up the street. I thought nothing of it and was talking to the other kids when one of them goes "mum that kid jumped our gate!" we had just seen Tristan my youngest go out there because he was having a bit of trouble opening our door. I start panicking and the dude jumps my gate again and starts running back towards us. He must of realized tristan was with us because he stops and leans on someone else's fence with his head on his arms so we couldn't see his face. When I got beside him I asked him what he was doing in my yard. He looked at me and kept on apologizing. It was obvious something was terribly wrong with him, my guess was drugs. I kept going home to check Tristan and I could still hear him apologizing to me. Tristan came out the front to assure me he was ok and told me the kid wanted tristan to let him in to our house. Then I could hear him yelling out for someone called Kieran and was worried the other guy was in our yard. Next thing I know two police cars come screeching to a halt out the front. Someone had already rang them. I told them what happened, showed them where he was and they took him off in an ambulance.

My poor boy is shaken up and I'm so glad Tristan had not been able to open the door, the thought of my boy being stuck in a house with an unstable teenager is terrifying; or that the teenager hadn't lost it on Tristan when he refused to let him in our house.

I can honestly say the kids won't be running ahead of me again anytime soon. The possible danger my son could have been in while we were so close, but too far away is scary!

Oh, my goodness!!  Thank God Tristan is okay and that your neighbors were alert.  What is happening?  No one is safe anymore.  Just today my SIL was shaken up and telling me that her brother-in-law and her nephew had been to church and in line for confession.  Her 12-year-old nephew left dad in line and went to the bathroom at church -- but it's available to the public too -- and a man had just been buttoning his pants when the nephew stepped in.  The man stopped doing that.  The nephew went to the urinal and started to undo his when the man told him something and approached him.  The nephew got a bad feeling and made it to the door before the man grabbed him.  It took the dad and the nephew a long time to realize what was actually happening, by which time the man was gone.  I am thankful he was fine too.  I just wish that man had been apprehended.  You don't know if he's done this before or if he will try again with another kid.  

You're in my prayers tonight, Paula, and your children.  

Bloody hell. Is he alright! At church too. Is nowhere safe these days? We have had a couple of girls get followed home from the park by three guys in a white car. Thankfully another observant dad at the park chased them off and rang the girls parents get picked up. When the mum of one of those high schoolers posted a warning on our Facebook page another mum said she had reported the same guys the day before to the police for following her daughter. Her daughter had screamed at them and scared them away.

We have also been getting a lot of reports of houses being tagged in our town. People have worked out different colours for different size dogs but unsure if it's for breaking into houses or dog thieft for dog fighting rings. Our small town is getting beyond a joke.

Bloody hell. Is he alright! At church too. Is nowhere safe these days? We have had a couple of girls get followed home from the park by three guys in a white car. Thankfully another observant dad at the park chased them off and rang the girls parents get picked up. When the mum of one of those high schoolers posted a warning on our Facebook page another mum said she had reported the same guys the day before to the police for following her daughter. Her daughter had screamed at them and scared them away.

We have also been getting a lot of reports of houses being tagged in our town. People have worked out different colours for different size dogs but unsure if it's for breaking into houses or dog thieft for dog fighting rings. Our small town is getting beyond a joke.

He is shaken up, as you can imagine.  It's scarier out there than I've ever known it.  Evil of that nature has already affected our family.  I have nothing but the worst feelings and wishes for those monsters.  Your town's authorities must be more proactive.  It shouldn't be difficult to surprise the ones tagging houses.  The audacity of those guys sticking around to follow young girls!  It goes to show what they think of the police's competence.  Stay safe, friend.

First, hello and Kiddles and I are back.......we were gone because we picked up a new addition to our family! Say hi to Lucky!

So scarey about the kid, glad all is okay but wow!

Katie, GREAT packages!

We have lots to do today but just know Kiddles is the happiest girl in the world! Lucky is her 9th BD gift (her BD is july 22)...

I'll check in later,

Hugs from kuddles

post-17419-0-99439200-1371991371_thumb.jpg

my goodness! Such deals, I have a story that happened a couple years ago too, we sort of thwarted a home invasion... Blizzarding out right its dark out, but snowing, so looks lighter, worst night so far of the winter... We are sitting in the living room, watching tv in the dark, as we most times do, four wheel drive comes slowly UP our snowy slippery hill, parks directly across the street from our house, on the curb.  Passenger car door opens, reveals a hooded man, getting out, and three more with hoodies over their head  inside the suv.....

Approaches our walk, our porch has a high railing, and a gate, so as to keep the doggie from going  to the front yard, apparently it is a deterent to some that don't know the trick of opening it.

He stops right before the gate, Ive got my finger on the last one of nine one one, Im whispering, DON"T answer the door, don't open the door to dh. He yells out, what do you want, the outside unwanted visitor stammers, i ah we, have a free gift for you, just need you to sign for it.....

Dh hollers through both doors, (insert several expletives here )get outta here, we're calling 911! Said "visitor" departs, still hooded, and  gets back in suv, and backs down hill slowely! meanwhile, Ive got 911 on the phone, describing vehicle, (with DH's help, as I don't know one from the other) and best I could the unwanted visitor, height, clothes etc.

The suv departs neighborhood, police arrive a few minutes later, says typical of a home invasion, they picked our house cause it was a  dark house on our block, probably the only one, and looked like no one was inside. We had the blinds open just enough to watch it snow, which is how we saw what we saw. Police said, never go to your door at night, or really at all, if you are not expecting anyone, or don't know the person at the door, as this is most generally how home invasions happen....Once that door is opened, they have just gained access of the rest of your home!

......Well needless to say, I phoned the rest of the neighborhood that evening, and warned them, as some are older ladies, and live alone...... We made the report, and were put wise to the scam, and police were out looking for said perp....end of story, but if you don't know the person at the door, it's best to let the doggie bark her head off, and keep your finger on 911. That, is the moral of the story!!

and yeah, kuddles, What DO you know bout the ville being down whilst you were off getting the most adorable puppy ever!!!!!!!!! If you could get lucky in a puffy, and send him to me, I would love him and take good care of him, lol       Adorable!

Aussie_Paula, I'm glad Tristan is ok, that is so scary.

Kuddles, Lucky is too cute and looks like a lot of fun.

I've had week of woes too, Mom has been in the hospital since Wed. Evening.

They think they've natroeed the problem to her gallbladder not functioning but

She was having a hard time with scan needed to diagnose it. She finally agreed

To have the scan, she just finished. I'll keep you posted.

and yeah, kuddles, What DO you know bout the ville being down whilst you were off getting the most adorable puppy ever!!!!!!!!! If you could get lucky in a puffy, and send him to me, I would love him and take good care of him, lol       Adorable!

I know! He is soooo cute! Not so cute as I clean up the poop and pee that has occurred in the condo ..... but he is only 10 weeks old, so this will take a while! Oh well, kiddles is in heaven! She is watching a movie (with dogs in it of course!) and holding him right now!

Thanks, he is too cute!

Hugs and prayers for your mom! It is always scarey till you know!

kuddles

So glad the site is back up. Been dying to tell you something I've been commissioned to do.

Next year, my cousin is getting married to a fantastic South African guy. They are going over to South Africa to do it. Every one in the family has been invited but because of how expensive it would be get all of my family there, I can't go.

Anyway, she wants a doily table runner for the head table. If you aren't aware what that is, its basically a runner made up of lots of different sized and shaped doilies. So she asked me to help. First batch of doilies she wants is... 25!!!! 25 doilies of all shapes and sizes! Good job I love making doilies. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to add a line in sig so you can keep track of how many I get through. Depending on how this first lot looks, she may want more. :D

OMG he is soo cute! What an adorable addition you've got!

dh and I are just hanging out to day, went to check on houses for sale on the other side of town for his parents, took the dogs down to the park....nothing much else planned here today. I have to work on some baby blankets. A friend asked if I could make a few heavy nap blankets for an autism day care. I probably get started next week to see how much I'll need. 

Whew, we are back!!!  Lots of catching up to do.  Lovely eye candy out there!  

Kuddles, Lucky is adorable.  At least you didn't name him Puddles or Piddles! LOL

Lots of scary stuff going on.  We have some really creeps out there lately.  I've actually come home at night time and people were running out the back door of my house after breaking in!  I didn't see them, I just heard them running out the door, that they had kicked in!  That was scary!

I am going to move this coming weekend, so if any one has a puffy to send to me, can you hold it temporarily?  I have to get a PO Box this weekend as well to have my mail forwarded to, but I don't want to miss the puffies!  I have some puffies to mail out, got one for you Katie, but they may not go out until after the first of the month so I can get unpacked.  All my yarn and stuff is packed up right now, with packing I don't have time to even crochet right now!  But as soon as I get settled, out comes the yarn and the squares!  So, please be patient with me.  I have squares for several peeps in here.

Hope everyone has a blessed week and be alert!!!

YAAAY! I was going batty while the 'Ville was down, because I knew my package was supposed to arrive Friday according to the P.O! At least I no longer had the temptation to post things like "Aaaah, when is my puffy going to arrive at its destination??" that might have given away the surprise! :lol The squares are the pattern I finally finished that I posted about a while ago. Didn't want to share any pictures until Katie's package arrive, though! :D I made the first ice cream for our little guy to play with, and they're so much fun to make, so I'm taking any excuse to make more! Maybe I'll try to write that pattern down to share on here, too. There's currently a little fudging [ha ha!] at the end of the cone so I should probably clean that up a bit before sharing.

Lots of scary things going on lately. I'm glad Tristan was all right, and that the police were able to take the boy somewhere he can hopefully get some help. I would be so freaked out by that tagging especially! I'd be a nervous wreck about our dog. A few weeks ago around here some women came up to us while we were working in our front yard and said "If you hear a scream sometime, could you call 911? There's a guy in a blue car who seems to be following us." !! He'd been behind them for a little while and every time they turned a corner or even went back the other way, he ended up following them. They saw the car only a minute or two after they stopped to talk to us, and my husband and I both stood out in the street to look with them. I saw someone get out of the car and go up to a house with something and then go back to his car without whatever it was, so maybe it was just somebody who'd gotten lost... but to have been making the same turns as them for so long was awfully suspicious! We wondered if maybe having so many people in the street so obviously staring and pointing at his car made him think twice about continuing... We saw them again later and they said they hadn't seen him again, so that's good.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, Skoggy! I'll add "sending the Skoggy crew to South Africa" to my list of stuff to do when we win the lottery. :D

My husband and the little guy are playing a new game (for us), Kirby's Epic Yarn. All the characters and moving objects are outlines made of yarn, and the backgrounds are all fabric, and they made all these cute ways to do traditional nintendo game things like move to new places and collect treasures with fabric-based ideas, like undoing zippers and pulling patches off the screen! I keep laughing at new things because it's just so cute. Annnnnnd between watching them play and writing this post, I've killed over an hour and not gotten any of the sewing done that I really need to do. So, uh, I go now.  :eek  :embar

Too cool Emma!! Wish i could do threads and help ya out!!!!!!!!!

Viking, your little guy sounds like quite the character!!!

Scary stuff out there is right. Heard just the other day, that in my part of town, which is practically crime free, someone got almost abducted from the movie theater I GO TO,,,,,,,Yikes!!

So are you going to double strand them SMith, cause i was wondering how Jiffy yarn might work too,... Was wondering what to do with mine, maybe Ill use them for a heavier baby blankee!!!

SUre thing Snowflake, will add that to your preference post, till further notice, please hold all puffys, lol Did you get the place you wanted????

Ok, off for now, Im getting hungry, lol       later gals and guys!!!!!!

Hey everyone!  It's so great to have the 'ville back!  I got a lot of crocheting done that needed to be done, so that helped, but I missed my 'ville family!

Katie, I'm so happy that the puffy arrived and you like the squares and other goodies.  That ice cream cone is adorable!  I'm going to have to find that pattern!  hint, hint, lol.

Aussie_Paula, what a scary situation!  I'm so glad that your son is ok.  This world is just getting more frightening by the day.

AngelRoseLite,  OMG, in church even?!  GRRR!

Katie, glad you were smart and called the police...

Kuddles,  WHAT A CUTE PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay   I love puppies!  We just brought Juno for her first haircut today.  OMG, she looks so cute.  I visited my youngest son while DH brought her to PetCo.  He said she was pretty good and only barked at the smallest dog there, a 10 wk old puppy, :lol . I don't know how they managed to trim her nails since she does NOT like her feet being touched, but they did it and no blood was shed, lol.  Best of luck with your new addition.  Hopefully she will train easily so you won't be picking up pee and poop for too long!

Carol, will keep your mom in my prayers...

Skoggy, that's too bad you can't make it to your cousins wedding, but fantastic that she asked you to make all those doilies!  I look forward to seeing pics! I love doilies, but don't make many as working with thread is hard on my hands and eyes.

Have a wonderful evening everyone!!! :hug

First, hello and Kiddles and I are back.......we were gone because we picked up a new addition to our family! Say hi to Lucky!

So scarey about the kid, glad all is okay but wow!

Katie, GREAT packages!

We have lots to do today but just know Kiddles is the happiest girl in the world! Lucky is her 9th BD gift (her BD is july 22)...

I'll check in later,

Hugs from kuddles

Lucky is adorable!  Look at that smile!

That is what happend to the site Kuddles was gone so it refused to work until her return.

:lol

my goodness! Such deals, I have a story that happened a couple years ago too, we sort of thwarted a home invasion... Blizzarding out right its dark out, but snowing, so looks lighter, worst night so far of the winter... We are sitting in the living room, watching tv in the dark, as we most times do, four wheel drive comes slowly UP our snowy slippery hill, parks directly across the street from our house, on the curb.  Passenger car door opens, reveals a hooded man, getting out, and three more with hoodies over their head  inside the suv.....

Approaches our walk, our porch has a high railing, and a gate, so as to keep the doggie from going  to the front yard, apparently it is a deterent to some that don't know the trick of opening it.

He stops right before the gate, Ive got my finger on the last one of nine one one, Im whispering, DON"T answer the door, don't open the door to dh. He yells out, what do you want, the outside unwanted visitor stammers, i ah we, have a free gift for you, just need you to sign for it.....

Dh hollers through both doors, (insert several expletives here )get outta here, we're calling 911! Said "visitor" departs, still hooded, and  gets back in suv, and backs down hill slowely! meanwhile, Ive got 911 on the phone, describing vehicle, (with DH's help, as I don't know one from the other) and best I could the unwanted visitor, height, clothes etc.

The suv departs neighborhood, police arrive a few minutes later, says typical of a home invasion, they picked our house cause it was a  dark house on our block, probably the only one, and looked like no one was inside. We had the blinds open just enough to watch it snow, which is how we saw what we saw. Police said, never go to your door at night, or really at all, if you are not expecting anyone, or don't know the person at the door, as this is most generally how home invasions happen....Once that door is opened, they have just gained access of the rest of your home!

......Well needless to say, I phoned the rest of the neighborhood that evening, and warned them, as some are older ladies, and live alone...... We made the report, and were put wise to the scam, and police were out looking for said perp....end of story, but if you don't know the person at the door, it's best to let the doggie bark her head off, and keep your finger on 911. That, is the moral of the story!!

Scary!  I'm so glad you were able to scare them off.

Praying that your mom is better soon :hug

Whew, we are back!!!  Lots of catching up to do.  Lovely eye candy out there!  

Kuddles, Lucky is adorable.  At least you didn't name him Puddles or Piddles! LOL

Lots of scary stuff going on.  We have some really creeps out there lately.  I've actually come home at night time and people were running out the back door of my house after breaking in!  I didn't see them, I just heard them running out the door, that they had kicked in!  That was scary!

I am going to move this coming weekend, so if any one has a puffy to send to me, can you hold it temporarily?  I have to get a PO Box this weekend as well to have my mail forwarded to, but I don't want to miss the puffies!  I have some puffies to mail out, got one for you Katie, but they may not go out until after the first of the month so I can get unpacked.  All my yarn and stuff is packed up right now, with packing I don't have time to even crochet right now!  But as soon as I get settled, out comes the yarn and the squares!  So, please be patient with me.  I have squares for several peeps in here.

Hope everyone has a blessed week and be alert!!!

That was a close call!  I hope your new place is the one you wanted :)

YAAAY! I was going batty while the 'Ville was down, because I knew my package was supposed to arrive Friday according to the P.O! At least I no longer had the temptation to post things like "Aaaah, when is my puffy going to arrive at its destination??" that might have given away the surprise! :lol The squares are the pattern I finally finished that I posted about a while ago. Didn't want to share any pictures until Katie's package arrive, though! :D I made the first ice cream for our little guy to play with, and they're so much fun to make, so I'm taking any excuse to make more! Maybe I'll try to write that pattern down to share on here, too. There's currently a little fudging [ha ha!] at the end of the cone so I should probably clean that up a bit before sharing.

Lots of scary things going on lately. I'm glad Tristan was all right, and that the police were able to take the boy somewhere he can hopefully get some help. I would be so freaked out by that tagging especially! I'd be a nervous wreck about our dog. A few weeks ago around here some women came up to us while we were working in our front yard and said "If you hear a scream sometime, could you call 911? There's a guy in a blue car who seems to be following us." !! He'd been behind them for a little while and every time they turned a corner or even went back the other way, he ended up following them. They saw the car only a minute or two after they stopped to talk to us, and my husband and I both stood out in the street to look with them. I saw someone get out of the car and go up to a house with something and then go back to his car without whatever it was, so maybe it was just somebody who'd gotten lost... but to have been making the same turns as them for so long was awfully suspicious! We wondered if maybe having so many people in the street so obviously staring and pointing at his car made him think twice about continuing... We saw them again later and they said they hadn't seen him again, so that's good.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, Skoggy! I'll add "sending the Skoggy crew to South Africa" to my list of stuff to do when we win the lottery. :D

My husband and the little guy are playing a new game (for us), Kirby's Epic Yarn. All the characters and moving objects are outlines made of yarn, and the backgrounds are all fabric, and they made all these cute ways to do traditional nintendo game things like move to new places and collect treasures with fabric-based ideas, like undoing zippers and pulling patches off the screen! I keep laughing at new things because it's just so cute. Annnnnnd between watching them play and writing this post, I've killed over an hour and not gotten any of the sewing done that I really need to do. So, uh, I go now.  :eek  :embar

It's a good thing you and your dh were out so that the girls had someone to go to.  I would have been suspicious too.  That game sounds like so much fun.  I'm going to have to look it up.

Too cool Emma!! Wish i could do threads and help ya out!!!!!!!!!

Viking, your little guy sounds like quite the character!!!

Scary stuff out there is right. Heard just the other day, that in my part of town, which is practically crime free, someone got almost abducted from the movie theater I GO TO,,,,,,,Yikes!!

Oh, no!  It just feels like the bad things you hear about on TV are coming closer and closer, doesn't it?  We must all look out for each other.  It's infuriating when you read that something bad happened and the witnesses didn't do a thing to stop it.  You don't have to go it alone.  When a crowd reacts, you're sure to scare the bad guy.  When Richard Ramirez (Nightstalker) was caught, it was because a group of neighbors went at him because he was attacking a woman to take her car.  It was just a few streets over from where I lived.  I remember that night as if it was yesterday because the helicopters and cops were chasing him all over all night it seemed.  East L.A. is the only place I've ever lived where everyone knew one another and kept an eye out for their neighbors.  We kids couldn't even ditch or get in fights without our parents finding out almost as it was happening.  Those days are long gone, sadly.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.  It's a nice day here.  I have yarn and squares and motifs blocking everywhere it seems :lol  Being unable to access the 'ville made me very productive ;)

LOL Well right now, I"m thinking of changing his name to Piddles! He can't seem to 'get it' that you do it only outside! Anyone have any tips out there?? I know he is only 10 weeks old but.........

Kuddles,  WHAT A CUTE PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay   I love puppies!  We just brought Juno for her first haircut today.  OMG, she looks so cute.  I visited my youngest son while DH brought her to PetCo.  He said she was pretty good and only barked at the smallest dog there, a 10 wk old puppy, :lol . I don't know how they managed to trim her nails since she does NOT like her feet being touched, but they did it and no blood was shed, lol.  Best of luck with your new addition.  Hopefully she will train easily so you won't be picking up pee and poop for too long!

Thanks honey! Boy am I tired.......had to let him cry all nite in the other room in his crate..........ARGH! Poor little guy!

Lucky is adorable!  Look at that smile!

Thanks!

Guess what I just discovered! My new crochet hook bag from Paula is long enough to fit my two turned wooden hooks! Which means I can now keep *all* my hooks in the same place, which means my fancy turned hooks will probably get *used* more often! Woo!

Awesome!

Well I took today off so Kiddles and I could take Lucky to the vet (at 7 am!) and spend time with him before he has to be in his crate all day tomorrow. I know they get used to it but I still feel bad!

I'll check back in later.......

Kuddles

Are you feeding him in his crate? That can help them to learn to see it as a good place to be. And some different toys, so you can change things up now and then. We got a bottle that attaches to the side of the crate for water, like a giant hamster bottle. Looks a bit silly, but she kept knocking over bowls.

No housetraining tips from me, sorry. I'm only on my second dog ever and they both came already trained! :lol the only thing I've read is that treating right away when they go where you want them to can help.

Good Morning all,,,,,,Im up early, but don't feel like doing much yet, so sat down here for a bit!

Going to rain this am, is raining off and on, I should say,so haven't got too much on the agenda for the am anyway. Deep cleaned my bedroom last evening, now to do the closet,that's something I could do I guess, but not this early, ha ha.

Found a bin with some jiffy yarn, and lion brand soft and chunky, might play around with that later on, what to make out of jiffy and softee chunky though, ideas???

Tried a square or two yesterday, but it's rather heavy, due to the thickness of the yarn, so I dunno, will find something to make out of it, i guess.

And when the time gets a bit later, will call my daughter to see if lunch is in her future today, lol   but that's about all I can think of to talk about this early, let me get my first diet coke in,and Ill come back later, everyone have a good day.....

Archived