Our House Part Two

JulieKay

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jude

Thanks for the comments on the Nook. I have only ever seen one once ,other than in a store ,and it was probably the first one they made,since it was a couple years ago .

Anyhow, I'll be excited to try a Nook just to compare differences .

Thanks for the heads up on the credit card. I like using gift cards so I dont owe any bills,but I read through their page about buying things, and it sounds like you can use gift cards for ebooks,but you have to have a credit card on file.

Will let you know how I like it when I get it. Not sure when he will bring it over .

Amy

A good morning to you too . How is your sisters afghan coming ?

Good morning everyone. I took a shower first thing today and the bp is better today too. I do think that I've passed the turning point on whatever this crazy stuff is, just think it's going to be a slow recovery. And I already have a doctor's appointment for Thursday, so think I'll wait until then unless I crash again. But I feel halfway human today which is a big improvement. I'm going to be boxing up a box of stuff for my son today. (That cleared off a shelf in addition to his Chhristmas stuff. :lol) It will have all kinds of things in it. RR Afghans, a doll, silver baby cup, baby outfit, college cup and knives from a little bit of all over to name a few of the items.

Hi Val

Sorry to hear you havent been well lately. It's ok if you don't get a chance to stop in ,so no need for an apology . I know life gets in the way sometimes, for all of us .

Hope things get better for you soon .

Linda

I hope you are right and have turned the corner of you flu or whatever it was. Cam had the freakiest rash on him last week that I've ever seen,so there must be some flu or virus type thing going around.

I think you are right too with your body just needing to go into slow gear for a bit after the past few weeks .

Take good care of yourself .

It's probably a good feeling to clear out some of the stuff you have been keeping for so long . I like doing that fairly often,but I just get bothered by stuff laying around not being used. I dont know what you call the word of someone OPPOSITE of a packrat,but that's what I am .

Hi all

Just a note to say we have had a school shooting in our area. It isnt super close to us, I think one of the towns up around the Cleveland area .We don't know anyone up there or have never been to the town,but there were 5 kids shot. They arent saying what condition they are in,they are all in hospitals ,one eing taken by helicopter .

A teacher actually chased the shooter down the street to catch him. How brave !

Anyhow, I dont have any other news as to why this happened . It's so scarey ,knowing that it could happen anywhere .

Good afternoon housemates :hi

I had a dentist appt this morning and my teeth feel squeeky clean :lol I did not get the marathon crafting day yesterday that I was anticipating. Ingrid text me in the morning and asked if I took my sister and bean to the airport, which I had and she invited me over just for hanging out. She had to run to the market and I had to run to Sam's so I picked her up just before noon and we ran together. The kids stayed at home with their dad doing their schoolwork. So when we got back we unloaded groceries and split up some of the things we got at Sam's (too much for one person :lol ). I had my crafting with me, but just never pulled it out :think:lol I have alot to do to catch up with the knitting kal, but shouldn't have a problem with the clue 2 for the cal one.

Tab - Good luck with all that chaos over there :hug

Julie - That's horrible to hear about the shooting :ohdear I haven't heard about it on the news yet. As for the nook, you do set up a credit card with your account, but you can also add the gift cards on to the account as well (up to 3 at a time) and it will always use the gift card balances before the credit card.

Joanne - How exciting the your middle dd came with you when you were going to babysit Ryan :hug I like the ghan pattern you chose. Have fun at craft club tonight :yes

Mary - Glad to hear you got your yard work done and are now ready to start planting, even if it is too early yet :lol

Judy - You are like speedy gonzales on that rr already, can't wait to see some pics :D

Amy - Did the kids want to play more boardgames this weekend? It's so fun to do that together :yes

Cindy - I'm glad you got a relaxing day just reading :hug

Linda - Sorry to hear your still feeling cruddy, but at least it's all starting to look up now :hug

Val - I hope you're feeling better, you've been sick for a while now too :think:hug

Happy Monday, everyone. :hi

Linda ~ Oh, I do hope you're on the mend. :manyheart 'Hope you can get a little rest time in today.

Julie ~ Cam can't be almost 10! ;) A PJ day sounds good! I saw the news this a.m. and was thankful that they caught the shooter. These things happen way too often and it's always so tragic. :(

Joanne ~ Yay for new yarn. :clap I really like the pattern!

Valerie ~ Feel better soon. :hug Have you been able to squeeze in any crochet time?

Hi Marlene ~ I hope you have absolutely perfect weather for the rest of your stay. :)

Marisa ~ Yesterday sounds like fun. DD and I go to Costco together once in a while and find great stuff! I hope you get lots of time with your hooks/needles while you're "home alone." :hook

I decided to stay home today and run errands tomorrow...piles of laundry and some cleaning for me. Maybe some crochet time later, too. :)

Hi, Val - glad you're getting better! Linda...you, too - good to hear from both of you!

Judy - You are like speedy gonzales on that rr already, can't wait to see some pics :D

I just got back from a play date for Lucy - she's nice and tired now. On the way back the mom who is getting th ebaby RR drove by and we chatted a while. She mentioned she hadn't put ALL of the blankets I gave her into the NICU...holding back a RR she loved:lol

I gave her some color suggestions for the baby's room:lol:lol:lol:lol

I DO love making RR's - I guess because you can work by the seat of your pants with colors....

Hi all

Just a note to say we have had a school shooting in our area. It isnt super close to us, I think one of the towns up around the Cleveland area .We don't know anyone up there or have never been to the town,but there were 5 kids shot. They arent saying what condition they are in,they are all in hospitals ,one eing taken by helicopter .

A teacher actually chased the shooter down the street to catch him. How brave !

Anyhow, I dont have any other news as to why this happened . It's so scarey ,knowing that it could happen anywhere .

I heard about that and looked up where the town is...it seems to be East of Cleveland. One student has already died - and the shooter is being held in Juvenile Hall, which I think means he's under 17. I think:think

Hi Marisa

Good luck with your mystery ghans to catch up. I know you will be able to,you are so speedy at the items you make . How many weeks worth of patterns are there ,do you know ? I've tried not to pay too much attention to it,because I'll want to make one .Too tempting .

Thanks for the info on the Nook. I'm glad they will allow you to use gift cards instead. I don't like using credit cards. Too tempting .

Mary

Yes ,Cam will turn 10 in May. I cannot believe how fast 10 years has gone .In the blink of an eye . He's so tall already .. it seems weird that I used to rock him and sing to him and now he is almost my height.

Jude

I never knew they had places for play dates for people's pets . That sounds like fun for them .

Yes, the town is up in the Cleveland area someplace .It's the size of our town . They have been showing videos of it all,and even have a clip of them handcuffing the shooter. These things break my heart. I feel just as sorry for these kids that feel they have no other option in life than to pick up a weapon.

Sad for everyone involved. I'm not sure how the other kids are. 2 are in one hospital and the other 3 are in another . 2 are in surgery ,one, it sounds like was possibly dead when they picked him up to put him on the helicopter .

They say he had specific kids he was targeting,but it doesnt sound like a bullying situation .Not sure why he did this . SO sad .

Kids shooting kids! What an awful way to deal with life!

I pulled out an old cookbook today and looking for a rice pudding recipe. Found one that sounds scrumptious. It's called poor man's pudding and uses molasses instead of sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and orange peel. I've got it in the oven baking as we speak. Later you add raisins to the bowl and a couple of eggs.

It just sounds so good. I'm hoping it will hit the spot for both Kim and I.

Tab

Yea, I knew Cam would love video games someday. I tried putting it off as long as possible. I wanted him to have good memories of actually playing, using his imagination, going to the park and inventing our own entertainment. I had good memories of doing that as a kid . We never got bored, we always had something fun to do or we made up a game .

But Cam is like all the other kids, he loves his video games . I'm glad he still wants to come up and hang out with us .We give him his own space. He has his own room but usually likes to sit in here with us and play his games.

Right now I'm making him watch some old episodes of Batman ,next is Lost in space. He seems to like them even though they are pretty outdated compared to today's tv shows .

I understand wanting the kid to have their own games ,etc to play to prevent fighting. Our kids each had their own computers when they were home,so they kept busy on them .

I was an active, outdoorsy child. Even when it was raining or too cold I was always able to entertain myself by playing with toys or using my imagination. It saddens me that todays children are falling further & further from that each day. My youngest child, Jaden is the worst with that.....completely unable to entertain himself for more than 2 minutes. He very rarely plays with toys. I did the same things with him as I did my others, but he followed their older boy actions.....he really looks up to them so he started the video games before I would have liked. :(

Tab

I think in today's world, it's pretty difficult to have kids grow up completely without video games in their lives. Between having all the games,computers, etc in most houses, and with most kids playing them, it's just the way things seem to be .

I know when I grew up, we played outside all the time, year round. We didnt need lots of toys to have fun. Luckily,the street I lived on had kids in almost every house,so we had lots of kids to play with . We rarely played inside unless it was pouring rain .

I don't think the kids today will be necessarily lacking in any way ,as long as they have adults who play with them when they are small,spend time with them and teach them to use their imagination .

So, I'm sure you did that with your boys,so I wouldnt worry too much that they had any lacking care . It's just the way things are now . I guess we cant fight the future and progress with all the gadgets we now have .

Jude

I never knew they had places for play dates for people's pets . That sounds like fun for them .

They do havedog parks around here, but Lucy plays with the neighbor's dog in their yard. Lucy romped on the front lawn with Rosey and then her "mom" said I could bring them both in the yard while she finsihed a business call. Lucy didn't need an invitation - she ran for the gate, I let her inside, then went back for her girlfriend.

Lucy wore herself out!!!! They're both youngsters so they really move!

I pulled out an old cookbook today and looking for a rice pudding recipe. Found one that sounds scrumptious. It's called poor man's pudding and uses molasses instead of sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and orange peel. I've got it in the oven baking as we speak. Later you add raisins to the bowl and a couple of eggs.

It just sounds so good. I'm hoping it will hit the spot for both Kim and I.

Oh, that sounds yummy!!!!

I got the thread shawl in the mail today...waiting for the pattern to come and then I'll hopefully be able to see if it needs to be frogged back or can be continued from where it is.

It's a beautiful blue thread:c9

Hello everyone. Another super busy day at work, and again only one patient. (same one as last week) I stayed a couple of extra hours to help out as well. Anyhow, dinner is done now and I am vegetating in my chair for a while.

Joanne, have fun at craft club.

Julie, my dd has the Nook with touch screen and really likes it. I have the Nook Color, a Kindle 3G, and a Kindle Fire. I have only had one interaction with B and N customer service and it went well, but I have heard a lot of complaints about them. The general consensus on both the B and N forums and the Amazon forums seems to be that Amazon is more likely to go out of its way to keep their customers happy. However, I've never had to deal with Amazon customer service, so I have no experience to validate this. I figure if I have a device from both sellers, I can get all the free books from both. Amazon does have lots more books, both free and paid.

Judy mentioned B and N's fairly long samples that you can get before you buy a book, and I just wanted to say that Amazon also offers samples. I've only gotten one sample from Amazon and it was really short, but I don't know if that is what usually happens or if it was just the book I picked.

Val, hope you feel better soon.

Linda, glad you are feeling slightly better. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better.

Julie, I heard about that school shooting. It sure makes you stop and think, doesn't it? I heard that one child is dead and several more in critical condition. I guess no-where is safe anymore.

Marisa, your Sunday sounded fun. Good luck catching up with the Bernat mystery ghans.

Judy, it struck me as funny that Lucy had a play date. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the shawl.

Cindy, Lucy grew up visiting this dog on her front lawn. They would play bow to each other, stop and sit to watch a car drive by...raise their noses in the air at exactly the same time when a good breeze would carry something interesting their way. They got very used to seeing each other.

I just had to wait till I thought Lucy would ignore their small landscaping rocks before I could let her run free in their back yard!

'nite all:hug:manyheart

Morning folks

Cindy

Thanks for telling me about the different Nooks . I know the Kindle pretty well since I have had 2, the first one being the white one with the keyboard .I think itwas # 2 ? I've lost track,they have made so many different ones . I now have the one made after that ,the charcoal grey with a keyboard (slightly smaller and lighter) ,then the Fire which I really like a lot . I've never had a broken one,but have contacted Amazon with questions a few times and they are great in helping you out. I've also heard lots of people whose kindles have gotten damaged and they are replaced free of charge and very quickly.

I'm not as familiar with the Nook . I'm excited to have one and see what it's like. It's the touch but not color. So far, I've been looking at the BN website,and the only thing I notice is how slow moving it is. I'm not sure why ,unless it's because of the bigger pictures of the books .

I'm still looking for an area that lists all their free Nook books, but havent found it yet . I'll keep looking today. I did find a few different books that I didnt find on amazon for my Nook when I get it ,so maybe I'll get a nicer selection of books this way,

To everyone else-- howdy and hope you have a great day .:)

Good morning!

Had a good time at craft club last night- and the group is growing which is fun!! Phyllis was working on one of the squares for the Mystery KAL and brought her squares she made for the Mystery CAL-they look really good. I worked on the "brain-dead afghan' and I'm loving it! Phyllis helped me figure out what order I should do the colors in. I do like that this will involve no sewing but more importantly- no thinking!!! I do enough of that all day long in Paradise!

Julie- When you search for free nook books, just go to the search and type in 0.00---this will bring up some freebies--and I've gotten some good info on Ravelry- there is a nook group there called Nifty Nook. Every Friday, there is a 'free friday' book. I usually find out what the Free Friday book is by checking the group on Ravelry. I have the 1st generation Nook and then for Christmas DH got me the Simple Touch- it's a basic e-reader, which is what I wanted and I've had no problems with it. It's lighter than the 1st generation-and I really like the e-ink for reading. I have my iPad for other things I want to do.

Linda- Hope today finds you feeling a little better!!!

Judy- I'll be Lucy's play date really tired her out. That's neat that she has a 'friend' to play with!!!

Marisa- A fairy god mother told me something last night at craft club!!!:devil

Tab- I am 'old school' about video games/tv and kids. It really bothers me that kids are not growing up learning how to use their imagination to play. It could be because I'm not into video games myself! How's Eli doing? Is he sleeping in longer spurts at night?

Cindy- I 'vegetated' on my couch after craft club- nothing wrong with that after a long day at work! I'll be doing the same tonight I'm sure- with the brain-dead afghan which I'm enjoying working on!

Mary- Did you get in any :chook time after your cleaning?

Val- Feel better!!!

Marlene- It's wonderful that you can "skype' with Maya.:manyheart

Well, house family- it's time to get ready---make it a good day!:hug

Morning Joanne

Sounds like you had a great time at your group last night. Glad you are liking your new afghan pattern better .

Thanks for the info on the Ravelry Nook Group. I nevr even thought to look on there . I'll go check it out today .

Dont work too hard ~~

Morning Amy

How are you today ? Still working on your sister's afghan ?

Hi House!

Linda got me thinking about rice pudding. :lol Might be time for us to have some, too. :)

My list of errands is a long one, so I'll catch up later. My next scarf is about 2/3 finished and then I'll have three to send off. :hook

Have a great morning! :manyheart

Good Morning.

Elijah & I had our follow up appointments today. Baby Eli is was 8 lbs. 1 oz. on January 26th & is now 10 lbs. 2 ozs. What a little piggy boy he is. :lol I on the other hand lost 7 lbs. in a month. :cheer Not enough to get my wedding ring back on my ring finger & off my pinky, but it's progress. :yes

I started his tummy time round ripple with my beautiful Jimbo hook. :hook I haven't done much with my Kindle....I have spent the majority of the time looking at books, but not buying.....I am very indecisive. :think

Have a great day.....i'll check back in later. ;)

Archived