2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Just a note regaridng my poll at the top -- I thought it'd disappear after the 3 days,but I asked Amy about it, and she says she doesnt think it can be removed .

Just so everyone knows why it is still there. I dont know how to get it off,and it may not come off,so we will just have to ignore it I guess . :)

Thanks ---

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TODAY's BOOK QUESTION :

Name a book or series of books you enjoyed as a kid .

I liked those wee little (but thick) paperbacks of classics -- does anyone know the ones I'm talking about ? I think they may be collectors items now -- goes to show how OLD I am .

I also remember reading Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden .

Oh, and don't forget my favorite -- Homer Price ( still remember the donut machine ,and the huge ball of string .)

Good morning!!!

Julie- I'll take a pic of the scarf and the mitts when I'm finished with them- I still have one more mitt to make- I only worked on the scarf yesterday! And today is flannel'ghan making day- LOL

No worries about the poll- that is strange that the administrators (i.e Amy/Donna) can't remove it- but like you said- we'll just ignore it!

As to the QUESTION OF THE DAY:

The first series I ever read and loved was "The Bobbsey Twins" I also read Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden....as well as my brother's "Hardy Boys" books ( although I don't think they ever read my Nancy Drew books:lol).

I also loved all the "Peter Rabbit" stories- my Dad used to read them to me when I was younger (at least that is what he told me) and I KNOW he read them to all my girls. My Dad was an avid reader and loved to read to the girls when my parents came over or we went there.

Off to get some chores done - then it will be a hooking day for me.

Can't wait to see the Paul Bunyon snowflakes, Julie!

I was an even more voracious reader as a child than I am now. When I was 11, we moved 1 month before the school year ended. I had no friends in the new place, but we lived 3 blocks from the library. I rode my bike there *every day*, checked out 7 books, read them, and returned the next day for another lot (not sure why 7, but it was almost always 7). They were having one of the promotional summer reading programs, and so I remember that I read over 100 books that summer. I don't know how many more because I didn't count shorter books, or books that I thought were too babyish. Not long after that summer, I sort of "graduated" to adult books (I don't remember a lot of "YA" fiction when I was a kid--one or two authors, but that was all.)

Some favorite series: I loved the Boxcar Children series, and those Childhood of Famous American books, which focused on the (probably very fictional) childhood of all kinds of favorite people--the Juliet Lowe one was my favorite, but I read dozens of these.

When I was 15, I calculated how many books I could read in my lifetime, and realized with great sadness that I would not be able to read all the books in the world. I didn't even take into account that hundreds of new books come out each year, and that I would have much less time to read as an adult (I was polishing off nearly a book a day at that time).

TODAY's BOOK QUESTION :

I liked those wee little (but thick) paperbacks of classics -- does anyone know the ones I'm talking about ? I think they may be collectors items now -- goes to show how OLD I am .

I also remember reading Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden .

Oh, and don't forget my favorite -- Homer Price ( still remember the donut machine ,and the huge ball of string .)

I think I remember those little classics books, 3 or 4 inches square and quite thick.

Never heard of Homer Price though.

I read Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew.

I also liked the Bobbsey Twins, the Happy Hollisters and the Hardy Boys.

There was also an old series starring three little girls called Betsey, Tacy and Tib. That was the title of the first book, and the books kept going until Betsey got married. They were quite old, but our school library had them.

Good morning ladies :coffee

I finally get a chance to sit and check in. My sixers lost last night :( BUT, did actually play the game and gave the lakers a run for their money :clap So that's good as far as I'm concerned :lol

I haven't done any of the snowflakes yet, but am planning to go pick up some thread either later today or tomorrow. I need to get my butt in gear on a graph ghan that I'm hoping to finish for xmas next week :eek It's my only plan for the weekend :lol

Linda - Thanks for the instructions :hug And, how much thread will I need to do all 3 snowflakes? I'd like to make sure I get enough for the 3 in one trip.

Christine - You snowflakes are great and such a cute idea :yes And your model there....she's just gorgeous!!! :manyheart

Joanne - I really like working with that caron country yarn :yarn I didn't find it to be splitty, rough, or scratchy :yes

Julie - Thanks for liking Linda's instructions. I printed them off when I came up to them because I thought I'd never find it when I was ready to do it :lol If I'd have read a little further, I would've seen it wouldn't be a problem ;)

As for the book question....I see I'm a little younger in this group :think When I was little, little I loved the Berstein Bears books, not necessarily a series as they were each their own books, but I used to crawl up on my dad's lap and read it to him :lol Another single book I loved was 'the monster at the end of this book' with grover from sesame street. Then in my pre-teen phase I loved the Sweet Valley High books and I don't know that I've read all of them, but I sure tried :lol I think they continued coming out for a bit after I stopped and moved on :think

I was an even more voracious reader as a child than I am now. When I was 11, we moved 1 month before the school year ended. I had no friends in the new place, but we lived 3 blocks from the library. I rode my bike there *every day*, checked out 7 books, read them, and returned the next day for another lot (not sure why 7, but it was almost always 7). They were having one of the promotional summer reading programs, and so I remember that I read over 100 books that summer. I don't know how many more because I didn't count shorter books, or books that I thought were too babyish. Not long after that summer, I sort of "graduated" to adult books (I don't remember a lot of "YA" fiction when I was a kid--one or two authors, but that was all.)

Some favorite series: I loved the Boxcar Children series, and those Childhood of Famous American books, which focused on the (probably very fictional) childhood of all kinds of favorite people--the Juliet Lowe one was my favorite, but I read dozens of these.

When I was 15, I calculated how many books I could read in my lifetime, and realized with great sadness that I would not be able to read all the books in the world. I didn't even take into account that hundreds of new books come out each year, and that I would have much less time to read as an adult (I was polishing off nearly a book a day at that time).

I had to smile at your sadness at realizing that you would never be able to read all the books in the world. Of course, that meant you would never run out either!

All three of my children are avid readers. We did a lot of car travel vacations when the dks were little, and they were never bored. We always allowed them to take as many books as they wanted. Even today, when Dh and I go somehwere we take lots of books. I think we should each get some sort of e-reader. so that we have less stuff to take with us.

As for the book question....I see I'm a little younger in this group :think When I was little, little I loved the Berstein Bears books, not necessarily a series as they were each their own books, but I used to crawl up on my dad's lap and read it to him :lol Another single book I loved was 'the monster at the end of this book' with grover from sesame street. Then in my pre-teen phase I loved the Sweet Valley High books and I don't know that I've read all of them, but I sure tried :lol I think they continued coming out for a bit after I stopped and moved on :think

Marisa, you must be the age of my children. My son adored the Berenstain bears, and we still have about 40 of the books. I read them to my grandsons quite often, and I suspect that if ds ever has children of his own, he will be taking those books.

My oldest DD also loved the Sweet Valley High books, and has now passed hers on to her young niece. I think she probably read most of them too.

Good morning, peeps.

I lived walking distance from a big library when I was little and in the Summer I was there at least twice a week, checking out 6 books each time. I don't remember reading the mysteries etc...but DO remember reading biographies of people like Clara Barton...I've always marched to the beat of a different drummer:lol

I remember being so impatient to go to the "adult" section of the library (you had to be a certain age, I think) because the younger books bored me.

Reading was also an escape.

Marisa is the age of my oldest DD and I forgot all about Sweet Valley High- all 3 of my DD's read them- They also loved the Boxcar Children- I'm so happy that all 3 of my DD's are avid readers too. I firmly believe that if you read to children when they are very young and make reading a fun activity- it becomes a lifelong habit!

Off to go shopping- for DH and if I pass by Michael's or ACM, I may just have to stop in and get some thread!

Hi ladies

Been interesting hearing about what books you all liked as kids. Some of us are close in age,so we would remember certain books.

Marisa-- you are around mty girl's age I think -- she liked Babysitter's Club . And I remember reading lots of Berenstain Bears to our kids and our grandson. He LOVED the Spooky Old Tree. The cover is falling off it ,we have worn it out .

Also, Dr Seuss,who could forget him ? I have some of them memorized from reading them to him so often .

It sounds like we all had our library routine -- ours was 4 books at a time, but we live in a little town,and they got lots of business .We kept them 4 weeks, but it never took me that long to read 4 books .(It does NOW)

And Jude, I found your comment interesting that books were your ESCAPE .

I read somewhere that kids who read a LOT ,sometimes do that to "get away" from life or to pretend they are somewhere else . As a kd, I never would have thought it was WHY I liked to read,but now ,I think it probably was .

I'm not quite sure WHY I enjoyed reading so much.no one in our family liked it except me .

The parents bought a set of encyclopedias and I'm the only one that used them. I about wore them out !

Interesting discussion,ladies !

~~~On the Crochet topic, I am on my 3rd (and smallest ) snowflake -will post photos when done .

Marisa-- they take VERY LITTLE thread .One ball will make LOTS of them .

Hi ladies

Been interesting hearing about what books you all liked as kids. Some of us are close in age,so we would remember certain books.

Marisa-- you are around mty girl's age I think -- she liked Babysitter's Club . And I remember reading lots of Berenstain Bears to our kids and our grandson. He LOVED the Spooky Old Tree. The cover is falling off it ,we have worn it out .

Also, Dr Seuss,who could forget him ? I have some of them memorized from reading them to him so often .

It sounds like we all had our library routine -- ours was 4 books at a time, but we live in a little town,and they got lots of business .We kept them 4 weeks, but it never took me that long to read 4 books .(It does NOW)

I read somewhere that kids who read a LOT ,sometimes do that to "get away" from life or to pretend they are somewhere else . As a kd, I never would have thought it was WHY I liked to read,but now ,I think it probably was .

I'm not quite sure WHY I enjoyed reading so much.no one in our family liked it except me .

The parents bought a set of encyclopedias and I'm the only one that used them. I about wore them out !

Interesting discussion,ladies !

~~~On the Crochet topic, I am on my 3rd (and smallest ) snowflake -will post photos when done .

Marisa-- they take VERY LITTLE thread .One ball will make LOTS of them .

Thanks Julie

And the Dr. Seuss books NEVER get old :lol

TODAY's BOOK QUESTION :

The only one I can think of right now are the Hardy Boys.

Linda - Thanks for the instructions :hug And, how much thread will I need to do all 3 snowflakes? I'd like to make sure I get enough for the 3 in one trip.

Julie - Thanks for liking Linda's instructions. I printed them off when I came up to them because I thought I'd never find it when I was ready to do it :lol If I'd have read a little further, I would've seen it wouldn't be a problem ;)

Marisa, they take very little thread. A small ball will make lots and lots of them.

I'm glad the instructions are helping. Once you've done them a time or two they should be a breeze. As I said before, for those of you who don't work with thread, that should be the biggest challenge.

Looking forward to seeing your Paul Bunyon Snowflakes, Julie. They should look great in the windows, even if they are too big for a tree.

Jingo Bells, Jingo Bells, :cheer:cheer Hiya everyone,

I haven't started my crochet stars yet, I need to run out and buy some thread, which hopefully I get to do today.

Marisa - I use to buythe Sweet Valley High books for DD when she was into her teens, she love them. Thanks for the memory, I seem to forget sometime.:lol

Here are the two snowflakes I've made so far. The little one and the rice stitch one. I modified the rice stitch one a little though, my points are much smaller and I added a little picot in between the points. Linda, the stitch tutorials were really helpful. My snowflakes aren't stiffened yet. I need to find some rust proof pins. (I've heard that not all pins are rust proof) Also I have seen templates that you can print out to pin your snowflakes to. That way they turn out perfectly even.

post-6189-135897607795_thumb.jpg

Cindy, I use spray starch on thread work after wetting it...I'm not too particular when I block things - which is why any threadwork I've made is usually a pattern with almost no picots.:lol

DS LOVED those!

Better than other ways of escaping....

I read somewhere that kids who read a LOT ,sometimes do that to "get away" from life or to pretend they are somewhere else . As a kd, I never would have thought it was WHY I liked to read,but now ,I think it probably was . Yup:yes

My father was a reader, too...he also worked crossword puzzles but those aren't my thing. When I was very young he gave me a thesaurus as a "no reason" gift.:)

We had a set, too - and when I ran out of books, I read those:lol

Here are the two snowflakes I've made so far. The little one and the rice stitch one. I modified the rice stitch one a little though, my points are much smaller and I added a little picot in between the points. Linda, the stitch tutorials were really helpful. My snowflakes aren't stiffened yet. I need to find some rust proof pins. (I've heard that not all pins are rust proof) Also I have seen templates that you can print out to pin your snowflakes to. That way they turn out perfectly even.

Very nice, Cindy. Nice modification, too. :manyheart

Question of the Day:

lol...what series DIDN'T I read?

-the babysitters club

-Fear Street

-Sweet Valley high

-Nancy Drew

-Anne of Green Gables and then the continuation - Road to Avonlea series with Anne's children and grandchildren.

my brother and I spent summers at my grandprents house so I read MANY books of my dad's and his siblings.

Bobbsey Twins

Happy Hollisters

there are lots more that I just can't remember.

I am however dragging them all out for my daughters. my oldest reads as much as I do - she's loving Geronimo Stilton and Junie B Jones.

Good afternoon! Hope the day is treating everyone well. Not much going on here, just trying to get a few projects done before I work tomorrow and Monday. Then I get some greatly needed time off!:cheer

Haven't started on the snowflakes yet, although I do have the thread already. Probably will have to wait until after Christmas to get to them.

As for the book series I read as a child, Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, Ann of Green Gables and I'm sure there are others that I just can't remember. Pretty sure I started the Sweet Valley High series as well.

I am going to have to invest in a pair of ear plugs after Xmas. BF decided to buy his 6 yr old an electric guitar with an amp! :eekDon't think it was the smartest thing to do since he'll probably get frustrated with it after a couple of days and then it will sit. Oh well, not my money!:lol

I'll pop back in later. :hug to everyone!

I got my thread! #3 to start with! But not till after my Christmas gifts are done- but I'm ready- and hoping I'm up for this challenge!!!!

Love your snowflakes Cindy!

I don't have any rustproof pins- I guess that's another excuse to make another trip to ACMoore or Michael's!:lol

Judy- What kind of spray starch? The kind you use when you iron shirts? Probably sounds like a dumb question, but I have no clue:think

Off to finally sit and work on my DD's BF's flannel'ghan!

Judy- What kind of spray starch? The kind you use when you iron shirts? Probably sounds like a dumb question, but I have no clue:think

yup - plain ol shirt starch.

Thanks Judy and Tab- that's what I'll use - since I already have that in the house- just need some rust proof pins and something to pin them on!

I want to be ready to start these as soon as I'm done with Christmas!!!!

How was everyone's day? Busy, I'll bet- it is usually crazy the week before Christmas! Yes, ladies, this time next week, Christmas will be almost over:eek

Morning ladies

Cindy

Your snowflakes turned out pretty ! I have 3 made,and will have Sam snap a photo of them today.Cam is here -- he spent the night ,so I kinda get sidetracked when he's here and didnt get any photos yet -- but they still need the ends woven in and starched too. Don't have any starch here to do them,so will run to get some maybe today if I get a chance. Depends on how late Cam stays .

I made the 2 biggest ones of Linda's ,then I made one of yours ,Cindy, that is on your blog page .

Trish

I would definitely invest in earplugs -- you're gonna need them I think . :lol

Trying to think of a new book question for the day -- will post it next post .

Archived