2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen

You made me chuckle about the book. It sounds just like me -- if I read a book that has a part 2, I usually end up reading it too, just so it feels like I completed the set . Hope the second isnt quite as agonizing as the first .

Nothing wrong with taking a break between the 2 !

Linda

Thank you so very much for all the pictures of instructions ! What a great help that will be !

Okay, the third round of Snowflake A also seems to be causing some problems, so here are detailed information on this round.

Chain 4, yarn over 3 times, insert hook into slip stitch space of last round, pull through loop (5 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook 3 times leaving 2 loops on hook, yarn over 3 times and insert hook through top of next double crochet of last round,

post-9295-135897607215_thumb.jpg

yarn over and pull loop through (6 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook 3 times (3 loops left on hook), yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook, chain 3,

post-9295-135897607224_thumb.jpg

insert hook back through the 3 loops last worked off together, yarn over and pull through all 4 loops on hook (picot made), chain 4,

post-9295-135897607233_thumb.jpg

insert hook in same double crochet as last stitch crocheted in, yarn over and pull through everything on hook (slip stitch made), slip stitch in next 3 double crochets of previous round, you are now in position to work the next arm. Repeat around.

post-9295-135897607235_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps on Snowflake A.

post-9295-135897607206_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897607211_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897607218_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897607221_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897607227_thumb.jpg

post-9295-13589760723_thumb.jpg

Linda, thank you so much for the illustrated help!

For everyone's convenience I posted each of your 2 posts underneath January's project (in the CROCHET link on Jule's first post here)..

Good afternoon! That sounds odd - since I never get up until 11 or noon, I never get to say "good morning," though it feels like is to me.

I've finished up some short Christmas books. McCombers Where Angels Go, and Leland Gregory's Stupid Christmas, a Kindle freebie if I remember. It's full of (mostly) stupid crimes around Christmas time, and other dumb holiday stuff. It was ok - little paragraphs that could be read in bits.

I also added to my list a couple of other December books outside the categories. A Trollope novel, not a favorite, and barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. I wish I could have given it two ratings - a 5 star for the first half and a one star for the last half. I compromised with a three. I loved the beginning, but found the last part increasingly tedious. I finally just wanted the characters to shut up and go away. I did it as an audiobook. Maybe it would be a different experience reading it. It's about a missionary family in the Congo. I'm sure I'll listen to it again some day, but only the first half.

I'm still debating about the snowflakes. I may just do them in worsted see how the patterns work and try out the stitches. I have no use for anything done in thread and don't like working with it, so it seems a bit silly to go out and buy thread and a hook I'll never use again.

Jude

Thanks for putting the photos in a handy dandy spot to find later ..

Linda

Sorry to bother you after doing all those photos,etc ,but I am stuck -- I am on the 3rd round --when you do the chain 4,,, then you wrap around 3 time,s pull up a loop --if I repeat 4 times to pull 2 loops through,then it says I should have 2 loops on my hook, but I only have one .

Can you tell me where I am messing up ?

good afternoon!

its been a busy morning - youngest has preschool so I get my running and biking in (treadmill and my bike is on a trainer) with a movie. then I had chiopractor appt, and now we're home. the laundry is in, the dishes are going, the kid is fed, and now for some crocheting, I really have to get some work done on the steamwave throw for my mom.

THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES!!! thats fabulous! especially now that my laptop is working, I can have it beside me the whole way.

and here's the finished product of my snowflakes. With my Elizabeth.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/christy_z/Crochet/2010-12-17005.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/christy_z/Crochet/2010-12-17002.jpg

they didn't turn out as stiff as I'd like (I rushed the glue part a bit, it hurt my hands), they were great.

Jude

Thanks for putting the photos in a handy dandy spot to find later ..

Linda

Sorry to bother you after doing all those photos,etc ,but I am stuck -- I am on the 3rd round --when you do the chain 4,,, then you wrap around 3 time,s pull up a loop --if I repeat 4 times to pull 2 loops through,then it says I should have 2 loops on my hook, but I only have one .

Can you tell me where I am messing up ?

Sorry, Julie, I miscounted. It should be 3 times, not 4 times. I went back in and fixed the instructions. :hug :hug :hug

good afternoon!

its been a busy morning - youngest has preschool so I get my running and biking in (treadmill and my bike is on a trainer) with a movie. then I had chiopractor appt, and now we're home. the laundry is in, the dishes are going, the kid is fed, and now for some crocheting, I really have to get some work done on the steamwave throw for my mom.

THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES!!! thats fabulous! especially now that my laptop is working, I can have it beside me the whole way.

they didn't turn out as stiff as I'd like (I rushed the glue part a bit, it hurt my hands), they were great.

Beautiful pictures. :clap :clap :clap

Thank you kindly Linda

no problem, I just thought I was messing it up somehow .I am scatterbrained sometimes .

I'll work on it again here in a bit -- Cam is due to leave soon but will be back tomorrow I guess .

Christine-

Very pretty snowflakes, and your little girl is a cutie pie !

Good afternoon everyone. You've been a very chatty bunch!!

I read through the posts but didn't take notes. The finished snowflakes looked nice, and I could see a hint of glitter on the starched one.

Linda, your step by step stitch tutorials are very well done. Thank you.

What an adorable little one!!! She looks like she loves the snowflakes, too:D

Sorry, Julie, I miscounted. It should be 3 times, not 4 times. I went back in and fixed the instructions. :hug :hug :hug

Thanks Linda - that means my links to them are automatically updated, too - right??

Donna, these projects aren't things we have to do. Anyone can opt out of anything and at any time, and wait for the next month's pattern or book choices to see if they want to try those...:hook

What an adorable little one!!! She looks like she loves the snowflakes, too:D

Thanks Linda - that means my links to them are automatically updated, too - right??

Since they are links to the pages, my changing the pages should take care of it.

I just double checked and they automatically link to the corrected pages. If anyone else finds a discrepancy, just let me know and I'll fix it.

Morning Joanne

Are the gloves for you or someone else,and what color are you making ?

Have a good day at work .

Hi Marisa

Congrats on finishing your book ! Enjoy your day at work .

They may be for me- or maybe not- if I need another gift- they are purple- made out of Caron Country yarn (that I picked up when Marisa came to town for a meet up back in Sept/Oct)

Okay, the third round of Snowflake A also seems to be causing some problems, so here are detailed information on this round.

Chain 4, yarn over 3 times, insert hook into slip stitch space of last round, pull through loop (5 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook 3 times leaving 2 loops on hook, yarn over 3 times and insert hook through top of next double crochet of last round,

[ATTACH]31933[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31934[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31935[/ATTACH]

yarn over and pull loop through (6 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook 3 times (3 loops left on hook), yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook, chain 3,

[ATTACH]31936[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31937[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31938[/ATTACH]

insert hook back through the 3 loops last worked off together, yarn over and pull through all 4 loops on hook (picot made), chain 4,

[ATTACH]31939[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31940[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31941[/ATTACH]

insert hook in same double crochet as last stitch crocheted in, yarn over and pull through everything on hook (slip stitch made), slip stitch in next 3 double crochets of previous round, you are now in position to work the next arm. Repeat around.

[ATTACH]31942[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps on Snowflake A.

I am most definitely sure that this will help me- I am a visual learner!!! Thank you so much Linda for taking the time to do this!!!:hug:hug:hug

Linda, thank you so much for the illustrated help!

For everyone's convenience I posted each of your 2 posts underneath January's project (in the CROCHET link on Jule's first post here)..

I was just thinking I need to write down what post these tuts are on and then the next post I read is yours, Judy- and you already linked it to the January project!!! Perfect!!! Thank you so much!!!:hug:hug:hug

good afternoon!

They are beautiful- and so is the little angel, Elizabeth who is holding one!!! She is such a sweetie- how old is she?

Hope everyone has a relaxing night- as relaxing as it can be- I'm not doing anything tonight other than working on a scarf. Tomorrow I have to work on a flannel'ghan for DD's BF- one more strip to go- I'll be glad to finish it- and know he will love it. Then hopefully some time for reading too!

Since they are links to the pages, my changing the pages should take care of it.

I just double checked and they automatically link to the corrected pages. If anyone else finds a discrepancy, just let me know and I'll fix it.

Thanks for checking - and for all your work on this project:hug:manyheart

I was just thinking I need to write down what post these tuts are on and then the next post I read is yours, Judy- and you already linked it to the January project!!! Perfect!!! Thank you so much!!!:hug:hug:hug

;)

I just made a modified version of the snowflake with the rice stitches. When I tried the pattern as written, mine looked sloppy and awkward, probably because I crochet loosely at the best of times, and with the thread and the small hook, I was really making a mess. My camera batteries are dead, so it will probably be tomorrow before I post a picture.

Good evening all. I have had a fairly lazy day. Did some cleaning and some reading but not much else. I'm surprised I managed to stay off the computer for so long.

I did finish up a HAP rectangle last night. It was already half done. Maybe tonight I can finish up the second snowflake. The tutorial pics will come in handy. :) I'm hoping tomorrow I will be inspired to do more crochet.

I get off work in another hour and a half. I may read a bit, but won't be crocheting. I am really tired today, but plan to go on and do the grocery shopping when I get off. Kroger at 11:30 on Friday night is perfect. There's hardly anyone there and the shelves are all being stocked for Saturday, so I can get all the sale items. The only downside is that there is only self-check that late. I'm sure they did that just to make me look incompetent. I can never, ever, figure out which of the pictures for yams/sweet potatoes is the right one. Among other things!

I finished another book, Shepherd's A Christmas Story, the essays the movie was based one. They were just as funny.

Karen, I just got Howard's End as a audiobook. It's on my listen-to-it-soon list. I don't think I've ever read that one, but may have back in college and just don't remember.

Good morning ladies

I hope this post finds you all well . Good job to those who are working on snowflakes,and the pics have all been very pretty. I finished one last night (the one that is shaped like a flower) ,and am going to try the other 2 this morning . It's a challenge to work with thread,but this IS called a Challenge, right ?

I'm not using the really thin thread- I am using this kind with metal -type something wrapped around it ,in silver . It actually looks pretty .The hook I used was a C ,so it wont be really dainty like they are supposed to be,so let me call MY snowlakes PAUL BUNYAN SNOWFLAKES .

I'm very proud that I completed one . Now off to try the next .

Joanne --will you show us photos of the gloves when they are done,and the scarf ?

Good job to all who worked on the crochet part of the challenge,and also to those who are chipping away at your reading list .

You all have a good Saturday .

Archived