2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

YES, size 3 thread is larger than size 10 thread. In thread and the small hooks, the bigger the number, the smaller the thread or hook.

I didn't know I could still work with size 30 thread any longer and the tiny hooks, but gave it a try after my mom gave me some of my grandmother's work last summer. Lo and behold, I can. :) I just have to take my glasses off, so I can see what I'm doing and do it on days when my hands aren't giving me fits. A cushion around the hook helps, too. :yes Makes it easier to hold on to. I've done a dainty doily and have a centerpiece in the works that uses size 30 thread and a size 13 hook. Here's a picture of the mini doily.

Gorgeous Linda!!!

I'll be starting with a size 3 thread and see how that goes. What size hook for size 3 thread?

ETA: Just saw that Cindy uses a C hook-- I'll have to look at my Grandmas hooks to see if there is one of those in the bunch!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love snowflakes but I am opting out of January's crochet challenge. I have been making snowflakes for the last couple of months between other projects. My tree only has crocheted items on it this year. I am tired of thread work :blush. The flakes that you picked are very prety. I just don't have it in me to do more.. Here is my tree and the tree top angels i have done in the last couple of months.

[ATTACH]31771[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31773[/ATTACH]

Dorothy

Your tree is so pretty and I love those angels!! I can see where you are just a tad tired of thread work!!:lol

Hi Patty and Janetm!! Welcome to this FUN CAL- it's very laid back- you do what you want and when you want to do it!! For the books, for each book read, we are putting a coin in a jar and at the end of the year we are going to donate to a charity! (you can use a quarter, dime, nickel, penny- whatever is comfortable for you!)

This is the JANUARY pattern, right? So we have lots of time. Obviously, I love working with thread (my challenge will come later...:lol ), but not sure I'll have time to make these snowflakes before Christmas. I got some gorgeous sparkly thread in a swap package today, though, so when I do make them, they will be great.

Yes Karen it is JANUARY's challenge!! Thank goodness, because I won't get to start until after Christmas- I have gifts left to make!!!

Hi everyone!

Busy day at work- but went by quickly. Just getting ready to settle in with hook/yarn and Biggest Loser Finale.

I go to WW too! Total loss 7 lbs out of 15 - so almost 1/2 way there!!!

Have a good evening everyone!!!

Good evening ladies :hi

I feel soooo far behind on this challenge already :eek I've never used thread before so will have to pick some up before I can do the crochet part...the smallest yarn I current have is sock yarn :think But I want to try the thread since I never had and there's nothing like a challenge to learn something new :yes

As for books, I picked a couple up over the weekend at a bargain book store. Now I have to go check post 1 for the categories.....

Well, I didn't look over the whole year. Does anyone know if the girl who kicked the hornet's nest (3rd of the trilogy) is considered a mystery? I'm just finishing it up and it may just count for the december book :think I'm not so sure....I think the first book would fall more into the mystery category.

Anyway, it does cover both of January's categories, but I'll be done with it before then :lol Either way, I think I will count it, just because even if it doesn't hit any categories...that's an extra quarter in my cup for charity :yes

First, Linda and Dorothy - the doily and tree are beautiful. I admire anyone who can do fine thread work.

I tried it last year, and donated the thread and hooks, hoping someone with better eyes and hands would enjoy them. It's not my cup of tea at all, and my arthritic thumbs were very displeased with the project, though admittedly, if I practiced a lot, I would probably stop being so tense with it.

I need coasters and have been meaning to make some, so I may use the patterns for that. I have some leftover cotton I can use. But like others, I may not get to it for a bit.

I haven't checked out the book categories, but after this is posted, I'm going to go check them out. I finished Wintersmith this afternoon, so I need to update my page. Someone asked about re-reads. I count them - they're still books. Wintersmith is a re-read. I go into Pratchett withdrawal very quickly, so I read his books over and over.

Gorgeous Linda!!!

I'll be starting with a size 3 thread and see how that goes. What size hook for size 3 thread?

ETA: Just saw that Cindy uses a C hook-- I'll have to look at my Grandmas hooks to see if there is one of those in the bunch!

Probably a smaller hook would be a little better. My hands don't like smaller hooks.

Well, I didn't look over the whole year. Does anyone know if the girl who kicked the hornet's nest (3rd of the trilogy) is considered a mystery? I'm just finishing it up and it may just count for the december book :think I'm not so sure....I think the first book would fall more into the mystery category. :yes

Marisa - how do you like The Girl Who... books? I have been wanting to start them but haven't gotten around to it.

I haven't checked out the book categories, but after this is posted, I'm going to go check them out. I finished Wintersmith this afternoon, so I need to update my page. Someone asked about re-reads. I count them - they're still books. Wintersmith is a re-read. I go into Pratchett withdrawal very quickly, so I read his books over and over.

I asked about re-reads. I have certain authors that I keep all their books. I go back and read them in batches after several years.

Does anyone read the Stephanie Plum books? Is Janet Evanovich coming out with another anytime soon? I may have to go check her site.

Does anyone read the Stephanie Plum books? Is Janet Evanovich coming out with another anytime soon? I may have to go check her site.

I do, I do! My mom got me hooked on them last year. I'm not sure if she is coming out with one soon. I'm only through book 7 right now but can't wait to get caught up in the series. :)

Hi ladies--:hug

Sorry, been MIA -- have some things needing attended to,so will try dropping in as I can.

Just wanted to answer Lacey's book questons ---

I see you figured out the Michener book -- they are WHOPPER,but well worth reading .

Travel Narrative is a book told by someone who has traveled someplace and they write a book about all their adventures. I enjoy them a lot .

A Classic is usually an older book written back in the 1800's or so, but if you type in Classic books in a google search, you can find whole lists of them online .

Good luck !!

And Patty

Welcome -- I added you to the list page one-so you have a clickable link --hope you are able to join in when you get the chance !

Sorry I havent been around -- I'll stop in as I can . :)

Things written during the 20th century and considered "classic" already are usually referred to as "modern classics"--John Steinbeck, E.M. Forster, Evelyn Waugh, Edith Wharton, F. Scott Fitzgerald, etc...

For lovers of British literature--children's books especially--a fun travel book is "How the Heather Looks," about a family who traveled around England visiting the locations that inspired books like Wind in the Willows, Winnie the Pooh, Narnia, Swallows and Amazons, etc...

Marisa - how do you like The Girl Who... books? I have been wanting to start them but haven't gotten around to it.

I asked about re-reads. I have certain authors that I keep all their books. I go back and read them in batches after several years.

Jennifer - The books are very good. They started slow with the first one and I actually started it a few times, but after I heard they were making a movie and the book got rave reviews (I had the book for about 6 months at that point)....I made myself sit down to read it for real. After about maybe the first 4 chapters, it grabs you and then carries right into the other 2 books. So when you choose to start, stick out those first few chapters of the first book....it's well worth it :yes

:birthday Judy!!

I just couldn't get into the Stephanie Plum books. I've read a couple of them, and Stephanie just makes me want to yell. She's always doing such stupid things!

I've read most but not all of them. I saw one on the shelf at the drugstore yesterday that I didn't recognize, but I'm not sure if it's brand new or just new to me.

:manyheart:cake:birthdayHappy Birthday, Judy :birthday:cake:manyheart

Good morning peeps!

TY all for the birthday wishes! My GD just passed her driving test this AM - we share the same B'day and she's 17 today:c9

:birthday Judy!!

I just couldn't get into the Stephanie Plum books. I've read a couple of them, and Stephanie just makes me want to yell. She's always doing such stupid things!

I read a few of hers, but they were too predictable - and I felt like you after a while, Cindy, so went on to other things.

Morning everyone :cheer

Cindy I agree with you about Stephanie Plum books, for I'm another one who could not get into them . I buy them when it's on sale and give it away.

Good Morning all.

First off.....:bday Judy!

Hope everyone is having a great day. I have my snowflakes finished and need to get the camera charged up so I can post pics. I am slowing down on the books a bit so I can get my sister's afghan finished and I am also knitting a few projects. So many things to get done and only one of me to do it. I can crochet fairly quickly but I knit like a snail. I will post pics of my projects once I get them completed.

Off to find a good book to curl up with and work on my sister's ghan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYBODY!

:birthday Happy Birthday Judy!

I am ready for the workday to be over. I haven't gotten around to much crochet this week. I finished the first snowflake and have about 2/3 of the second. Maybe I can finish this evening and get to one of my many WIPs.

I think I have read all of the Stephanie Plums, and I agree, they do get repetitious. The newest Evanovich is a spinoff featuring Diesel and it's almost a carbon copy of your pick of the Plum novels. The main character could be her twin almost. It had it's funny points. I probably wouldn't buy any future books but my MIL gets them and sends them my way when she's done. I read them then send them to my parents.

I may head to the secondhand bookstore this weekend and look for The Girl Who... books.

Good afternoon everyone! Judy - I hope the birthday celebrations are in full swing by now!

After I looked at the snowflake patterns I don't think they would work very well for coasters, so after Christmas maybe I'll pick up some thread and a hook and try it again. Right now I'm focused on getting a bunch of lapghans started. I started a new ripple three times the last couple of days, until last night I decided to just ditch it, at least for now. The world is full of other patterns begging to be done.

I finished up another Christmas book last night: Ace Collins, Stories Behind the Best Loved Songs of Christmas. 2 stars, a generous rating. I found it pretty dull. It was freebie for the Kindle.

I'm off soon to have blood drawn for a doctor's appointment next week, then to drop off a coupleof boxes of household stuff to a local charity, and then, sigh, to work. We're in a big book shifting project, but I sit those out, and let my student workers do the actual moving. Age has its perks. Maybe I'll get some more reading done during the shift. Crocheting after work.

I can crochet fairly quickly but I knit like a snail.

I knit even slower than a snail. I keep hoping that practice will help, but so far...still vey slow.

I was watching my nephews fiancee knitting last week, and she was knitting a hat, while carrying on a conversation, and watching a basketball game. She was not watching what she was doing at all. I doubt I will ever be able to knit without concentrating on it.

Archived