2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice snowflake Jennifer!!! I don't think I'll be starting these until after I get my Christmas presents done.

Cindy- is size 3 thread larger than size 10? I know NOTHING about thread!!! LOL

YES, size 3 thread is larger than size 10 thread. In thread and the small hooks, the bigger the number, the smaller the thread or hook.

I didn't know I could still work with size 30 thread any longer and the tiny hooks, but gave it a try after my mom gave me some of my grandmother's work last summer. Lo and behold, I can. :) I just have to take my glasses off, so I can see what I'm doing and do it on days when my hands aren't giving me fits. A cushion around the hook helps, too. :yes Makes it easier to hold on to. I've done a dainty doily and have a centerpiece in the works that uses size 30 thread and a size 13 hook. Here's a picture of the mini doily.

post-9295-13589760601_thumb.jpg

Jennifer - I love your snowflake.

I finished up the gifts for the girls at work just in time. I'm going to make mine with baby yarn, too. I can work with thread and will in some situations, but it's not my favorite. So, baby yarn and a small hook. Even if they are bigger, they'll still look good in my windows. :yes

YES, size 3 thread is larger than size 10 thread. In thread and the small hooks, the bigger the number, the smaller the thread or hook.

I didn't know I could still work with size 30 thread any longer and the tiny hooks, but gave it a try after my mom gave me some of my grandmother's work last summer. Lo and behold, I can. :) I just have to take my glasses off, so I can see what I'm doing and do it on days when my hands aren't giving me fits. A cushion around the hook helps, too. :yes Makes it easier to hold on to. I've done a dainty doily and have a centerpiece in the works that uses size 30 thread and a size 13 hook. Here's a picture of the mini doily.

I love it, Linda! So pretty

I love snowflakes but I am opting out of January's crochet challenge. I have been making snowflakes for the last couple of months between other projects. My tree only has crocheted items on it this year. I am tired of thread work :blush. The flakes that you picked are very prety. I just don't have it in me to do more.. Here is my tree and the tree top angels i have done in the last couple of months.

post-19553-135897606041_thumb.jpg

post-19553-135897606047_thumb.jpg

post-19553-13589760605_thumb.jpg

Have to dash - Weight Watchers meeting this AM and I'm nowhere near ready!

BBL! Happy Hooking and reading!

My mom played hookie this morning. She was supposed to go to WW, but decided to stay in bed and hide :lol

I love snowflakes but I am opting out of January's crochet challenge. I have been making snowflakes for the last couple of months between other projects. My tree only has crocheted items on it this year. I am tired of thread work :blush. The flakes that you picked are very prety. I just don't have it in me to do more.. Here is my tree and the tree top angels i have done in the last couple of months.

[ATTACH]31771[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31773[/ATTACH]

:faint So very pretty!!!

Ok, So i have a few questions, maybe you all can help me....

What book do you consider a Classic ?

What is a Travel Narrative ?

What is a Michener book ? ok so i googled the author, and Yeaahhhhh Im gonna pass on that one, so Ill find something else to read :)

I know , silly questions, but thought Id get some input on what would be a good/great read that way I dont go and get something Not so good

:hug thanks all :hug

Linda - Your doily is lovely

Dorothy - Your tree looks very nice and your angels are amazing.

Maybe next year I'll do more snowflakes as it's looking like I may only do the three this year.

Good morning all. Hope everyone is staying toasty warm, if at all possible. It was 30F this morning but supposed to be 58 this afternoon. The high for tomorrow is in the upper 60s. One never knows what to wear because it changes so rapidly. Last night when I looked at the forecast it said low tonight of 23, this morning it had changed to a low of 46. That's a pretty big discrepancy. There is no separating the winter clothes from the summer because you pretty much need some of both.

Hopefully the work day will go by quickly. We have boyscouts tonight. They are caroling at a retirement home. Hopefully I'll have a chance to finish another snowflake tonight. Good idea to add glitter... I think I have some, somewhere.

Nice job on the book categories, Julie. I'll have to print and see what I have in my book case that I haven't read that fits. I'll be looking forward to doing that this weekend.

If it's a book that we haven't read in a long, long time, can we re-read it or to count does it have to be something we have never read before? I can't remember if that has been posted or asked already.

I finished The Door to December last night and should be able to start another this afternoon.

Dorothy, that's Gorgeous work!! And not to worry about opting out of any of the projects or the reading. This is just for fun and since some here are more experienced than others it's also a wonderful time to learn!

I finished my snowflakes and will post pics when the camera is charged. Thanks for the challenge. Can't wait for the next one.
Already!:eek

Hmmm....some of the projects I thought might be too big just might work for this group:lol

My mom played hookie this morning. She was supposed to go to WW, but decided to stay in bed and hide :lol

Been there....done that:lol

Wow, you guys are soo fast to be done already.. I'll have to look in my stash. I know I have thread somewhere. Perfect choice of patterns as I have been looking for some snowflakes and these fit. I'll have to get going.

Dorothy - Your angels are beautiful. They look great on the tree.

Just popping in to say that I just saw this thread (where have I been? :think), and I think this is a great CAL! Good idea, JulieKay! I'm scribbling down some books to read.

Hmm, depending on how my semester goes next year, I may have to join in. I'm super busy getting the new swap schedule ready for next year right now, but I love this idea.

Patty

This is the JANUARY pattern, right? So we have lots of time. Obviously, I love working with thread (my challenge will come later...:lol ), but not sure I'll have time to make these snowflakes before Christmas. I got some gorgeous sparkly thread in a swap package today, though, so when I do make them, they will be great.

[ATTACH]31771[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31773[/ATTACH]

Beautiful tree and angels!

This is the JANUARY pattern, right? So we have lots of time. Obviously, I love working with thread (my challenge will come later...:lol ), but not sure I'll have time to make these snowflakes before Christmas. I got some gorgeous sparkly thread in a swap package today, though, so when I do make them, they will be great.

You are correct. This is the JANUARY crochet pattern. :devil

Welcome, Patty! We'll get your name up on the first post, if Julie hasn't done it yet, and that'll be where you can keep track of what you've read or crocheted. Whatever you want to do is fine...no pressure.

Yup...this is January's pattern....so play to your heart's content, ladies, or read...or just chill;)

Nice snowflake Jennifer!!! I don't think I'll be starting these until after I get my Christmas presents done.

Cindy- is size 3 thread larger than size 10? I know NOTHING about thread!!! LOL

Yes, I use a C hook with it. (I don't even want to know what size 30 thread looks like!)

[ATTACH]31771[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31772[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31773[/ATTACH]

Beautiful work!

The doily is gorgeous!

Hi, fellow "challengers":hook

Jennifer - thats so cute!:cheer

Yup - 3 is also easy on the hands and eyes for those with problems. I'm going to pull out my 10 thread and give it a shot - I may be able to do this:D If not, #3 thread is waiting for me:lol

Thanks for the info Judy- I think I'll try a size 3 first- next trip to ACM and I'll pick some up- but I really can't start till January- or I'll never get the rest of the gifts made that I need to make!!

Archived