2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

I managed to make the 2nd snowflake. yay, it looks great.

but the first one I don't know how to do a DTC, and can't find directions.

and the third one completely baffles me. even following the picture I cannot figure it out.

Double triple crochet is the thread wrapped around the hook 3 times and worked off 2 loops at a time. Just one more wrap than a triple crochet. :hug

I'll try to explain the rice stitch a little more clearly in a bit. Just got home from the dentist and need a little recuperation time first. :hug

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I use my foolproof hdc pattern and always use the same brand of yarn I know they'll be the right size. I DO have some new patterns I'm thinking of trying for HAP - we'll see, though.

I do the same thing. I just double crochet all my rectangles. It makes for a good project to work on while bumming out in front of the TV. I need something that doesn't require thinking while I watch TV. I'm not talented enough to do both. LOL!

Hidey Ho ladies

Just an evening drop in to see what's up . Everyone must be busy here lately . It'll be a busy week for everyone ,then maybe things will calm a bit afterwards .

Hope yo uare all still reading up a storm . I'm gonna go click on some of the links to see how everyone is coming .

You all have a good evening !

When I use my foolproof hdc pattern and always use the same brand of yarn I know they'll be the right size. I DO have some new patterns I'm thinking of trying for HAP - we'll see, though.

I do the same thing. I just double crochet all my rectangles. It makes for a good project to work on while bumming out in front of the TV. I need something that doesn't require thinking while I watch TV. I'm not talented enough to do both. LOL!

My first rectangle was sc, the current one is dc. I think I'll try a hdc next and be sure to write down the number of chains, rows and hook size for each. Maybe then it will be less frustrating.

I read Ice by Linda Howard today. It was pretty short and not super thrilling. I found it comprable to a Harlequin type book. It wasn't bad, just that if I had wanted to read a Harlequin-type, I would have selected a Harlequin. Most of her novels have a bit more substance. Just something to consider if anyone is thinking of reading it.

For my HAP rectangles, I always do the ch 1, sc then sc in each ch 1, ch 1 thing. I know there's a name for it, but it escapes me.

The number of chains I need varies between 20 and 24 depending on the yarn. Even using the same yarn (brand, not necessarily color), I have this problem. Each skein seems to vary just enough to cause problems.

Good morning!

yesterday was a write off for reading and 'hooking. Went and had lunch with a friend and her little girls, then earned my paycheque (picked up the cheques for our company).

Christmas concert at school last night too.

TODAY though....is looking to be an at home catch up day. I'm finishing my baking, planning out my Christmas Dinner (how to feed 20 picky people), and hoping to get some crocheting done.

I like Judy's suggestion :devil Or you could make it potluck and make everyone bring a dish, that way there will be at least one item that each person likes :think:lol

For my HAP rectangles, I always do the ch 1, sc then sc in each ch 1, ch 1 thing. I know there's a name for it, but it escapes me.

The number of chains I need varies between 20 and 24 depending on the yarn. Even using the same yarn (brand, not necessarily color), I have this problem. Each skein seems to vary just enough to cause problems.

I looked this up and came up with moss stitch, seed stitch and granite stitch. :think

Hi all,

No reading again today!!! I had a busy day at work- and then had errands to run after work!!! Didn't even get in any hooking!

Oh, well, the weekend is coming so I'll probably get a little time to nook and hook!

The Road by Cormac McCarthy made me cry! Great book!

Double triple crochet is the thread wrapped around the hook 3 times and worked off 2 loops at a time. Just one more wrap than a triple crochet. :hug

I'll try to explain the rice stitch a little more clearly in a bit. Just got home from the dentist and need a little recuperation time first. :hug

AAAHHHH....ok! thanks!

ew, dentist...I have a date with mine on Saturday (broke a tooth on a candied almond :()

I really really love snowflake B. Made 3 now just have to figure out the art of starching it for a present.

I like Judy's suggestion :devil Or you could make it potluck and make everyone bring a dish, that way there will be at least one item that each person likes :think:lol

ha ha ha...no.

I'm the ONLY one who can cook (seriously...dh's sisters can burn water blech...)

I did 'what we like' last year and no one ate anything. way too much leftovers.

I'm going for the BASICS - turkey, potatoes, gravy, rolls, and veggies.

Hmmm...what about just making what YOU want to make and if they eat it - fine? :devil

I forgot about her...I read a book she wrote many years ago - the main character had a physically challenged child...I think.:think She's a very powerful writer.:yes

ditto:yes

My ultimate 'need a cry' book is Cloud Nine by Luanne Rice. fabulous story

ohhh a CD sleeve! thats brilliant

Here are my snowflakes - only Snowflake B (the others are still stumping me a bit)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/christy_z/Crochet/2010-12-16001.jpg

and then I starched, glittered and blocked them (ok the Mr did the blocking for me, the glue stung my fingers and they stopped working)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/christy_z/Crochet/2010-12-16006.jpg

the pictures don't do it justice, I was at an odd angle to stay out of the light. and I'm sad the glitter doesn't show too...I used lavender iridescent cosmetic glitter (it pays off to have girls)

YAY ME

I cry all the time when I read books...if they are meant to make you cry, I cry. :D

Julie, I have I Know This Much is True on my shelf--I've even started it, but the beginning was such a shock, I didn't get very far. I really want to read something by Wally Lamb, and this is the book I have, so...maybe in 2011.

I'm reading Blindness by Jose Saramago right now, and there could not be a worse, less seasonal choice. What was I thinking? I just happened to receive the book in the mail via Bookmooch (anyone else do bookmooch.com ?), and started it. Way depressing. It would be like reading The Road during Christmas week. NOT a good choice. I'll probably put off finishing it. I've also started my gift Kindle book, The Island of the World by Michael O'Brian, but I'm planning to read that one slowly and thoughtfully.

I haven't gotten much farther in No Name by Wilkie Collins (also at its gloomiest and most depressing point so far), and I haven't picked up Howard's End is on the landing in over a week!

My progress report is mostly a non-progress report. I'm not even going to touch the snowflakes until after Christmas, but since I love working with thread, it will not take long.

I'm also going to attempt a knitting project soon...I'm a novice knitter, but I want to make socks, and I'm determined to "get there."

Jennifer

Great idea for a flat,safe place to keep your snowflakes so they stay protected !

Christine

Just saw your photos this morning .They turned out very pretty !

I might give some a try today. I'm like some of the others, not real good at working with thread and tiny hooks, so I'll go look for something a little thicker today and give them a try too .

Hi Karen

Yes, I know what you mean about the Lamb book. I remember when I first bought it in hardback .When I got to the part you are talking about , I did the same thing at first. I'm not one who likes books that have that type of stuff in them,so I shut it and laid it down and left it for a bit .

I think i "guilted myself" into reading it though,since it was hardback and it cost lots of money .There's more of a chance of me FINISHING a book if I buy it ,especially in hardback. I always think I am wasting money if I don't read it . I know it sounds weird, but that's the way I think .

SO... I picked it back up and continued with it . That page was the worst. If you get through that part,nothing else in it was that graphic .

It was well worth continuing .

Another book that was also a huge challenge for me was A Fine Balance (another Oprah pick).All about life in India . WOW .... I never knew much about India ,but after reading that one, you certainly learn a lot . It was so upsetting ,I had to put it down and walk away from it several times, but I guilted myself into it too,and ended up finishing it . I must say it was one of the most difficult books to get through,but also one of my favorites. It seems to me that all of my favorites tend to be the ones like that .Maybe because I feel like after reading them,as if I have learned something important that I can use in life .

I'm not familiar with Blindness, nor the author. I have heard of him,but not read anything by him . It sounds as if you are in the midst of several challenging books. I envy you for being able to keep multiple books going. I'm not good at that .

I'm now reading Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter . Just bought it ,and it is pretty skinny ,so it wont take too long to read. I think it might fit into a mystery category -- not sure yet -- it could probably fit into a couple other categories oo,so we shall see where I end up listing it .

No hurry on the snowflakes --since it is a January project you have plenty of time .

I'm not good with thread ,but may go today and try to find some thicker than normal type which could use a little bigger hook .

Hope you have a good day ,or evening .. I get mixed up with other time zones. Our girl lives in Korea, so I always have to remember they are I think 14 hours ahead of us ,if I want to talk to them .

Christine- Your snowflakes came out great!!!

Jennifer- that is a great idea about the cd cases!!!

Julie- Good luck with trying the snowflakes today! I'm up very early today so I think I'll work on the mate to the fingerless glove I made the other night before getting ready to head out to Paradise.

Happy Friday everyone!!!!

Good morning everyone :hi

I finally finished my book last night :clap I've now completed the trilogy and my mom will be starting it so I'll bring this book home for her over the holidays. She was waiting for me to finish the 3rd to start the first :lol She has sooo much more time to read than I do and didn't want to catch up on the first 2 and then have to wait for the 3rd :lol I called her during the week and told her she could get started that she'll have the 3rd next weekend.

Christine - Your snowflakes look great :yes

I guess I am a glutton for punishment...I finished Blindness today, only to discover that there is a sequel, Seeing. I don't know if I'm up for it. This is postmodern literature in all its glory, and I can only stomach it in small doses. It wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be, but that's the most I can say for it.

I'm going to go find something *cheerful* and *Christmasy* to read now.

I made snowflake B using sport weight yarn. It came out good and I like it. But a bit too big for a snowflake. I'll call it a small doily! I'll make another one or two using a smaller size hook. I like the pattern. Don't know if I'll try the other two patterns. Still plenty of time to decide - all of January yet.

bailey

Here are my snowflakes - only Snowflake B (the others are still stumping me a bit)

and then I starched, glittered and blocked them (ok the Mr did the blocking for me, the glue stung my fingers and they stopped working)

the pictures don't do it justice, I was at an odd angle to stay out of the light. and I'm sad the glitter doesn't show too...I used lavender iridescent cosmetic glitter (it pays off to have girls)

YAY ME

Great job!!:clap

YAY ME

Great job and I can see a little of the sparkle on the starched one.

I guess I am a glutton for punishment...I finished Blindness today, only to discover that there is a sequel, Seeing. I don't know if I'm up for it. This is postmodern literature in all its glory, and I can only stomach it in small doses. It wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be, but that's the most I can say for it.

I'm going to go find something *cheerful* and *Christmasy* to read now.

:lol :lol :lol

I decided to post detailed instructions with pictures, since this seems to be giving a lot of you problems. So here goes.

Start with a chain 4, yarn over and insert hook in first chain, yarn over and pull loop through (3 loops on hook),

post-9295-135897606805_thumb.jpg

yarn over and pull through two loops (2 loops on hook), yarn over and reinsert hook in first chain of starting chain 4, yarn over and pull loop through (4 loops on hook),

post-9295-135897606814_thumb.jpg

yarn over and pull loop through 2 loops (3 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through remaining 3 loops on hook (first rice stitch completed), chain 4,

post-9295-135897606823_thumb.jpg

yarn over and insert hook into first chain (top of last rice stitch), yarn over and pull loop through (3 loops on hook), yarn over and pull loop through 2 loops on hook, (3 loops on hook), yarn over and reinsert hook in first chain, yarn over pull loop through (4 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook (3 loops on hook),

post-9295-135897606835_thumb.jpg

yarn over and pull through remaining 3 loops on hook (second rice stitch completed), continue to make rice stitches until you have completed 5, yarn over and insert hook into top of second rice stitch made, yarn over and pull loop through,

post-9295-135897607154_thumb.jpg

yarn over and pull loop through 2 loops on hook twice (double crochet between rice stitches made), make another rice stitch, yarn over twice and insert hook in top of first rice stitch made,

post-9295-135897607163_thumb.jpg

yarn over and pull loop through (4 loops on hook), yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook 3 times (triple crochet between rice stitches made), work one more rice stitch (one arm of snowflake completed.)

post-9295-135897607171_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps. :manyheart

post-9295-135897606793_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897606802_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897606808_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897606811_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897606817_thumb.jpg

post-9295-13589760682_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897606829_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897606832_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897607147_thumb.jpg

post-9295-135897607151_thumb.jpg