2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Wow! I didn't realize I had written a whole editorial until I saw it's length. Sorry about that. I really am bored today at work, but no need to make you the victims!

I think the point calculation would have been a little overwhelming. One reason I like this is it's simplicity - read a book, put a coin in the cup. Even my bird brain can deal with that!

I wasn't bored! It is interesting getting to know new people. I can't use the internet for pleasure at work! I think that you must get a lot of reading/and or crocheting while you are working based on what you said.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow what a busy thread today. :clap It was nice after shoveling our way ouf of 20 inches of snow to sit and catch up on the thread.

I agree with the not using the point system. I've never been much of a mathmatician and would get confused. :lol

I found out that not only is my husband getting me a Nook for Christmas but the rest of my family will be getting me B&N gift cards to help fill up my Nook and keep me reading for a long time. :cheer

:eek 20 inches of snow!!! Are you anywhere near the Metrodome? Should be an interesting game tomorrow- with the Giants and Vikings- playing in Detroit!!

That's so neat that you'll get B&N cards to fill up the Nook- don't forget about Free Friday's and they have lots and lots of books for under $5.00!! And you may be able to borrow from your library too. Such a wonderful invention these e-readers are!!!

Hi guys

Glad you all are ok with dropping a part of the book thing,and the categories will be more or less for fun if you want some type of challenge when searching for a book ,but you dont have to follow that if you dont want to .

It'll be simpler I think,just to read, drop your coin in the cup,then read some more .

I believe Miss Judy will be giving us another item to keep us busy with too,so we dont want to overload anyone .

This is supposed to be fun, not a pain in the rump .

It IS fun- and I'm enjoying getting to meet some new people- I think simple is the best way to go and glad you were ok with it too!!!!

Have a good evening all! Off to read for a bit before calling it a night!

OO Julie this sounds like fun Think I'll join you all I have been reading Debbie Macombers Christmas books this month and the Cleo Coyle Coffeehouse mysteries yeah me Niya

December

Debbie Macomber Something about Christmas and Snow Bride

Cleo Coyle Roast Mortem Coffeehouse mystery book:yarn

:eek 20 inches of snow!!! Are you anywhere near the Metrodome? Should be an interesting game tomorrow- with the Giants and Vikings- playing in Detroit!!

That's so neat that you'll get B&N cards to fill up the Nook- don't forget about Free Friday's and they have lots and lots of books for under $5.00!! And you may be able to borrow from your library too. Such a wonderful invention these e-readers are!!!

Yep, I live about 15 miles from the Metrodome. An interesting game it will be indeed. I just feel bad for all the peple that purchased tickets to the game and now it has been moved to an entirely differnt state. I hope they get refunds. :eek

Wow this thread is going too fast for me too.Didn't get much of anything done this weekend. My oldest granddaughter (10 years old)was put in the hospital yesterday. She is a diabetic and her blood sugar was in the 500. I have my daughter's another two kids plus last night I had my daughter's friend two kids. So I had 4 kids under the age of 6. What a night didn't have any quiet time to read or crochet. Today is a bit better I only my daughter's two and hoping so will be nap time for them.

Oh, I hope she's doing better. :hug :hug :hug

Wow what a busy thread today. :clap It was nice after shoveling our way ouf of 20 inches of snow to sit and catch up on the thread.

I agree with the not using the point system. I've never been much of a mathmatician and would get confused. :lol

I found out that not only is my husband getting me a Nook for Christmas but the rest of my family will be getting me B&N gift cards to help fill up my Nook and keep me reading for a long time. :cheer

Yea, for getting a Nook. OUCH! 20 inches of snow! :eek

Yep, I live about 15 miles from the Metrodome. An interesting game it will be indeed. I just feel bad for all the peple that purchased tickets to the game and now it has been moved to an entirely differnt state. I hope they get refunds. :eek

Yes, I read that they are getting refunds- and that they are letting folks in for free at Ford Field in Detroit- first come first served. Of course those with tickets already will get in first. Should be interesting.

Go BIG BLUE!!!! ( I take it you are a Vikings fan? :devil)

Good morning Challengers!!!

Hope you all have a good day- and enjoy reading/crocheting/chatting/working/cleaning/or whatever it is that is on your plate for today!!!!

Time for me to get ready for Paradise. I'll "see" you all later!!!

Good morning all !

Wow, yesterday was certainly a busy day in here ! I like active message boards, though .It shows we have lots of people interested in taking part !

Welcome NiYa !!

Long time, no see ! It'll be good to have you along. I know you are quite a big reader,so you will bring some more new ideas or recommendations in for us .

It's always interesting to see what others are reading . It sounds like your books are right up our alley in the categories .

I am still reading SnowFlower and the Secret fan -- it actually is a really good book and very interesting. It tells a lot about growing up in China as a girl,and all that they must go through ,and their different traditions. The foot binding things sounds absolutely awful ---

Anyhow,I'm about 3/4 of the way done ,so I may get it done today,then will dig through my books and Kindle to see what is next .Maybe I'll find one that will match one of my other categories .

Lisa

Congrats on getting the Nook for a Christmas gift ! I bet you are so excited ! Stay safe out there !

Well, I'm off for a bit. Will come back in later to check back in . :)

Tomorrow, we will get our first glimpse of our crochet project .:hook

Good morning. Snow has stopped here, but its cold and windy. Its a work day for em today, but I have the first four hours of my shift off.

Hopefully I will use this bonus time to make some progress on my last Christmas gift which is an afghan for oldest dd. Hopefully it will be close to finished when Judy posts January's crochet pattern.

Good morning. It's 18*, which is very cold for Georgia, very windy, and partly cloudy here this morning. We still have a skiff of snow on the deck, the roof, and the ground. We didn't get enough to hinder traffic on the roads, but we don't usually get any snow until January. I'm staying inside today! Hope those of you up north with lots and lots of snow stay safe and warm. :hug

Good morning everyone. The kids are home from school today, too cold and too messy outside, i had an appointment this morning, but it got moved to tomorrow morning, and I have a Layout to go to today. :( my boyfriends dear sweet grandpa passed away last night.

Good morning everyone. The kids are home from school today, too cold and too messy outside, i had an appointment this morning, but it got moved to tomorrow morning, and I have a Layout to go to today. :( my boyfriends dear sweet grandpa passed away last night.

:hug :hug :hug

Lacey, I'm sorry for your loss. No words can make it better.

First thing on my agenda it to try to wiggle out of going by the hospital to have blood drawn. I'm going to call and get them to cancel the orders for today. I just don't want to leave the apartment. It's even cold in Lousiana, and I just don't want to get out. I'm off work today, so I can stay cosy.

I don't know how those of you up north are staying warm in your awful weather. I hope lots of hot tea and cocoa are part of the plan!

I added McCaffrey's White Dragon to the my list. I had just finished it a couple of days ago, and it definitely has a hero. When I finish my current audiobook - I think I'm near the end - I'll listen to Pratchett's Wintersmith again. I love his Tiffany Aching series. Wintersmith is the third one.

Go BIG BLUE!!!! ( I take it you are a Vikings fan? :devil)

I'm only a Vikings fan to get under my Packer loving husband's skin. :devil I never cared too much for football until I found out how much my Wisconsin born husband LOVES Packers and DESPISES Vikings. It just drives him crazy that I cheer for them...but secretly I think he likes it. :lol

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your bf's grandpa. Losing a grandparent is tough. :hug

We're going to get our first pattern tomorrow, right? :cheer

YES. Although for those of you who just cannot wait any longer for Judy to post the link here, they are posted in the "Free Original Patterns" section here on Crochetville under the title "3 Snowflakes for the New Year ~ 2011." Judy wanted to challenge us a little by starting with a thread project, but I promise that the patterns are not hard to do. And I will be here to help if anyone needs it. Using thread and a small hook should be the biggest challenge, not the stitches. Just take your time if this is your first time working with thread. For those who have worked with thread it should take no more than 10 to 15 minutes to finish even the biggest of the three.

busy day here, youngest had preschool - while she's there I run my 5k and bike 20k (treadmill and bike trainer). then we race to the chiropractor, I'm still working on getting better after throwing out my back last month, and he's working on my foot/leg which is a mess after my reconstructive surgery. OWOWOWOWOWOW...

had to hit the store for more orange and green yarn. its a good sign I think. it means I 'm using up my stash.

now the other kids are home, time for homework and start dinner.

ice the foot and do some more stretches.

Sorry for your (and bf) loss. :hug

YES. Although for those of you who just cannot wait any longer for Judy to post the link here, they are posted in the "Free Original Patterns" section here on Crochetville under the title "3 Snowflakes for the New Year ~ 2011." Judy wanted to challenge us a little by starting with a thread project, but I promise that the patterns are not hard to do. And I will be here to help if anyone needs it. Using thread and a small hook should be the biggest challenge, not the stitches. Just take your time if this is your first time working with thread. For those who have worked with thread it should take no more than 10 to 15 minutes to finish even the biggest of the three.

Oh goodie. :clap Now I have to start digging to see if I have any thread. I haven't used it since about this time last year.

if you're cold...come up here.

today we've got a chinook so the temp is 10C (48F) and sunny.

It wasn't too bad here today. Started off around 27F this morning but got up to 45 and sunny. Still a little cold for the kiddos.

I guess I'm off to look for the snowflake patterns. Maybe the kids will cooperate and give me some crochet time. :hook

Sorry for your loss.:hug

Thanks, Linda. Not sure about me doing thread...my eyes aren't all they used to be!

Archived