2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Hi Bailey

Just saw your post after I posted mine .

The way you record your progress, if you just go to post number one,then click on your name, that is where you can post your list of progress, so it is always in the same place and easy to find .

I've started lots of crochetalongs,and it is pretty easy to post something, then it gets lost in all the thousands of posts,and it is hard to go back and find .

This way, everyone has their own page to keep track of everything they complete ,all in one place .

I hope this system will work well .I've never tried doing it this way before ,so we'll see,but I think it will go much better like this .

If you just want to come in and post or respond to someone, that is done like usual,so we have a place to talk too .

Good for you for finding your December book and completing it !

It sounds as if you have lots of talent,being able to knit and crochet,and also have lots of projects going or done,so good for you ! Sounds like you will fit right in .

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning, friends - old and new!

Well this weekend we are in a blizzard warning...12+ inches will fall between tonight and tomorrow. I ran all my errands today so I could hibernate in my house and crochet and read while it snows! :hook:clap

Stay warm and cozy! When we get a heavy wet snow we worry about losing power...overhead lines:P. I hope all goes well with you guys.In MN I would gues syou're used to it!

Morning Jude

Whats on your agenda for the day ?

Finishing stripping wallpaper and prepping to paint the half bath...tjis is what happens when hubby has no work...he looks around the house for little projects.

THis one isn't so little after all:P

Gotta go - will be by later this evening!

Good morning.

Judy, sounds like a buys weekend ahead of you and dh.

Cheeria, you change your curtains for Christmas? I hope you get a Nook or Kindle too.

Karen and Julie, the length of "War and Peace" has always deterred me from reading it. I'm not sure I have the attention span to read a 1400 page book!

I've finished another book for this months theme, "Hercule Poirots Christmas" by Agatha Christie.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning again!

I've finished doing the cleaning that is going to get done. Bathrooms and kitchen are all done- I'm leaving the vacuuming and dusting till either tomorrow - or whenever- the dust will just come right back anyway. Laundry load # 1 is in the dryer and load #2 in the washer. I just need to run out to the post office again (silly me forgot to mail something yesterday):eek and then I'm in for the rest of the day!!!

Judy- Take it easy with the wallpaper stripping and painting. What color are you painting the bathroom?

I'm counting down the days till the crochet project too- although I won't be able to start it until I finish up with Christmas gifts, it'll be nice to know what we are going to work on!

To all the rest of the "challengers"- have a great Saturday! (Karen- what is the time difference between the East coast of US and Poland?)

Good morning ladies :hi (I don't think I've seen any men through here?)

I read about 2-3 pages of my book last night before I zonked out :lol I was tired and I slept in until 10 this monring :eek But I sure feel great now :yes I think I'm going to go get a shower and crochet. I'll run a couple errands in a bit too :yes

I need to finish this book before I start any others so don't think I'll be able to squeeze in a book for dec :( It generally takes me a while to read a book and that's just because I don't have much spare time to do so. Usually I just read a bit before bed :yes

Have a great day everyone :hug

Hi Bailey

Just saw your post after I posted mine .

The way you record your progress, if you just go to post number one,then click on your name, that is where you can post your list of progress, so it is always in the same place and easy to find .

I've started lots of crochetalongs,and it is pretty easy to post something, then it gets lost in all the thousands of posts,and it is hard to go back and find .

This way, everyone has their own page to keep track of everything they complete ,all in one place .

I hope this system will work well .I've never tried doing it this way before ,so we'll see,but I think it will go much better like this .

If you just want to come in and post or respond to someone, that is done like usual,so we have a place to talk too .

Good for you for finding your December book and completing it !

It sounds as if you have lots of talent,being able to knit and crochet,and also have lots of projects going or done,so good for you ! Sounds like you will fit right in .

If I had read all the posts beforehand I would've seen you had already answered the question several times! I think it is great the way you have set it up; clever of you.

This is the first CAL I've joined. Once we get started I'll organize my page better.

I bought War and Peace on audio several weeks ago. Audible was having a $4.95 members sale, and it was one of the books on the list. It's not a favorite reader, but the price was definitely right - it's 61 hours and 29 minutes. That should be a whole lapghan worth of listening, if I can stand the reader that long. I read it in high school, a staggering 44 years ago. How did I get to be this old?

Karen, I love the Victorians too. Trollope is my favorite. I re-read the Barsetshire series occasionally. I just did the first of the Paliser series and didn't care for it so much. Have you read Judith Flanders' Inside the Victorian Home: A Portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England? Once past the explanation of the money, it was a fascinating read.

Whew! My big day is over. I am SO thankful for my teenage daughters who cleaned, organized, and decorated with me today, then babysat my 6yo during the tea. They are amazing, and I have to think of something wonderful to do for them in return. (We don't have much extra money right now, but I just got a great idea that they will love, and it won't cost me a thing. We homeschool, and I will give them a day off. You will hear the cheers in the US.)

I am 6 hours ahead of Eastern Time in the US, so I'm well into my day by the time you are getting up. Night owls on the west coast might still be awake when I get up, as they are 9 hours behind me.

Tomorrow I'll be busy with church stuff, and next week...well, we'll see what happens when it gets here. :lol

Donna, I haven't read that. In fact, Trollope is probably my most-neglected Victorian author, although my dh has read many of his books. I keep meaning to remedy that...maybe in 2011.

I'll have to look out for that other book--it looks interesting. One of my favorite "real" books is by Molly Hughes, who wrote several books about her life, beginning with her childhood in London in the 1870's--the life of a middle-class family. She wrote a couple of sequels about the next two decades, but it all fall squarely into "Victorian" England. They are hard to find, and I was lucky enough to read them from the British Library here in Krakow, before they closed their doors.

Jude

Don't try doing too much -- your back will flare up again .

It did...but is better now

It was a fiasco...won't go into it here...

But:

I insisted on being fed...so off to CHili's we went: a beer, a light meal followed by a brownie topped with ice cream...and I'm a happy camper:D

It did...but is better now

It was a fiasco...won't go into it here...

But:

I insisted on being fed...so off to CHili's we went: a beer, a light meal followed by a brownie topped with ice cream...and I'm a happy camper:D

Oooooo, that sounds yummy!

I just finished reading People of the Nightland. It was excellant.

I either need to slow down on my reading or use nickles instead of quarters for each book. I don't have a job right now so I really can't afford the quarters right now. Now if I could only crochet and knit as fast as I read I would be done with all my presents already. I WISH!!!!

Karen - thanks for the recommendation. I had never heard of Molly Hughes. I poked around and found used ones on Amazon very cheaply. I've ordered the first three in a trilogy and the fourth as a stand alone. I love reading about that period.

I needed to come in to work early today, so I get off early tonight - more crochet time!

Archived