2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOOD MORNING! It's my first day of my 3 day weekend and I have a boatload of stuff to get done! Didn't get much sleep last night as I was up with my dd15 who was battling an anxiety attack most of the night. :(

Thought I'd come in a see how everyone is doing while I drink my coffee:coffee and try to get motivated for the day. Haven't really gotten a chance to do much reading this week, usually I go through at least a book a week, but work has been crazy and home just as much.

I'm so excited! BF is getting me a Kindle for Christmas. It will definately cut back on my pile of books that I accumulate.:lol

Julie-I can't believe that I can't answer one of the questions:eek I have 4 kids-you think I would know the answer to at least one of them.:blush

Hope everyone has a great day!:hug

Hi ladies

Just a reminder to keep a small notepad handy so you can have a running tally of the points you accumulate through the year .

I MAY have a little bit of another incentive for you to read a LOT throughout the year .

For those who play along with the book end of the challenge , I will come in occasionally and toss out some other ways that you can accumulate points .

I want you to READ , of course,but I will also toss in an occasional bonus-type project which could wrack you up some more points .

Today, I will put this children's book trivia challenge up . Please write your answers on a piece of paper until everyone else has a chance to drop in and try it if they wish.

I will list answers tomorrow morning . Keep track of your points -- every right answer gets you one point .

1-In the original version of Red Riding Hood, was translated into English,she was given another name in the book, other than Little Red riding Hood . what was it ?

2- In Puss In Boots, what special function did his boots provide ?

3-In Rapunzel (Grimm's version) ,what was the name of the person who imprisoned her in the tower ?

4-In a very famous fairy tale ,told in many lands, she goes by many other names,but the story is the same . Who is Aschenputtel (just ONE of many nicknames from another country ).

5-In The Tinder Box, where did the soldier find the box ?

6-In Grimm's version of Snow White, the Queen actually tried 3 times to kill her . The first was when the Queen laced her corset so tightly,Snow white couldnt breathe,and fainted onto the floor . We all know the third time, the poison apple did the trick. What was the second way the Queen attempted to kill her ?

7-The first published version of The Story of the Three Bears ,written in 1837 , it was not written with Goldilocks as the person going into the bear's home . Who was the original person ?

8-What does Rumpelstiltskin actually mean ?

9- In Snow White & Rose Red, remember they were visited by a bear who had a curse placed on him by an evil troll. Which one married the bear once the curse was lifted ?

10-In Jack and the Beanstalk,finish the saying that the giant said :

FeeFi Fo Fum

I smell the blood of an englishman

Yikes! This is a tough one, Julie. I haven't read any of them since my kids were little and that was a LONG time ago.

Glad I'm not alone here- skimmed through the Trivia questions and think I only know the answer to one!

But, I've gotta run now - and will look at it again more carefully when I get home tonight!

I think how the point system works is in the first post- and for every point you put a quarter in a jar and at the end of the year, we donate it to charity. At least that is what my fuzzy mind remembers!!

Have a great day everyone!!!

welcome to Mona!! And Jennifer- Enjoy your four day weekend!!! I'm on one too!!!! Loving it!!!

oh dear...thats some tough trivia. lol

good thing I inherited the GRimm's library from my grandparents.

but then I'm a reader, always have been and probably always will be. much to the mr's chagrin.

working on a ripple blanket still (argh...this thing is huge! but lots of love is going into it and she's going to love it forever).

and today is a baking day. bake bake bake...and finish up some shopping for the grandparents and cousins.

h

Hi all

Don't feel bad on the trivia. It IS really hard .Most of the stuff, I didnt know either . I was a lucky guesser to get the few right that I did .

If anyone wants to try answering , you can pm or em them to me .If you don't ,that is fine, too . All just for fun,so no worries if you are stumped . Maybe my next one will be easier .

Trish

Great news about the kindle. I know you will love it .

Hi all

Don't feel bad on the trivia. It IS really hard .Most of the stuff, I didnt know either . I was a lucky guesser to get the few right that I did .

If anyone wants to try answering , you can pm or em them to me .If you don't ,that is fine, too . All just for fun,so no worries if you are stumped . Maybe my next one will be easier .

Trish

Great news about the kindle. I know you will love it .

sent a pm. ;)

DECEMBER 2010

Winter Theme

Lansing. Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage - 4

Collins. Stories Behind the Best Loved Christmas Songs -2

Gregory. Stupid Christmas - 2

Macomber. Where Angels Go - 3

Shepherd. A Christmas Story - 4

Pratchett. Hogfather - 4

Dickens. A Christmas Carol - 5

A Hero in the Story

McCaffrey. The White Dragon - 4

A Child on the Cover or a Main Character

Rose. Portal -4

Rose. Equilibrium - 3

Ross. Quantum -3

Stennett. The End Is Now - 5

JANUARY

Book Made into a Movie

Forster. Howard's End - 3

Clarke. 2001: A Space Odyssey - 3

Hilton. Lost Horizon - 4

Nack. Secretariat - 3

Lewis. Elmer Gantry - 4

Book Set in Another Country

Kingsolver. The Poisonwood Bible - 3

Cather. Shadows on the Rock - 3

James. This Time of Dying - 3

East. A.D. 62: Pompeii, a Novel - 4

FEBRUARY

Memoir

Blixen (Dinesen). Out of Africa - 3

Durrell. My Family and Other Animals - 5

Grayson. A Paramedic's Story: Life, Death, and Everything in Between - 4

Pearson. Learn Me Good - 4

Schofield. On the Farm: A Land Girl's Memoir - 5

Brill. A Dog Named Slugger - 3

Armstrong. Through the Narrow Gate - 4

Armstrong. The Spiral Staircase - 4

Tamm. Cartwheels in a Sari - 4

Baker. Cancer is a Bitch - 2

Classic

Trollope. Can You Forgive Her? - 3

Dostoyevski. The Brothers Karamazov - 4

Eliot. Silas Marner - 4

James. Spoils of Poynton - 3

Dreiser. The Titan - 4

Gaskell. North and South - 4

Chaucer. Canterbury Tales - 2

Jewett. Country of the Pointed Firs - 4

Yonge. The Heir of Redclyffe - 5

MARCH

Person's Name in the Title

Stevenson. Miss Buncle's Book - 5

Hoffman. Saving Ceecee Honeycutt - 5

Watson. Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day - 5

Cushman. Catherine Called Birdy - 5

Book One of a Series

Brooks. Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold! - 5

APRIL

Travel Narrative - Real and Imaginary

Jerome. Three Men in a Boat - 4

Jerome. Three Men on the Bummel - 3

Adams. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 3.5

Weiner. The Geography of Bliss - 5

Flowers on the Cover

MAY

Author's Name Starts with M

McCullogh. The Thorn Birds - 4

Any Banned Book

JUNE

A Mystery

Christie. And Then There Were None - 3

An Author New to Me That Someone Recommended

Bryson. At Home: A Short History of Private Life - 5

JULY

Books for Children or Young Adult

Montgomery. Anne of Avonlea - 4

Pratchett. Wintersmith - 4

McQuestion - Celia and the Fairies - 2

Pratchett. I Shall Wear Midnight - 4

Scott. The Alchemyst, The Magician, The Sorceress - 4, 4, 3

Collins. The Hunger Games & Catching Fire - 5, 4

Book on My List for a Long Time

AUGUST

Biography of a Famous Person

Any Book Set During a War

Novik. His Majesty's Dragon - 5

Novik. Throne of Jade - 4

Novik. Black Powder War - 3

Novik. Empire of Ivory - 3

SEPTEMBER

Book over 350 Pages

Book with a Color in the Title

OCTOBER

Scary Book (or books with "Halloween" characters, even if not scary)

Pratchett. Lords and Ladies (witches and evil elves) - 3

Pratchett. Witches Abroad (hilarious witches) - 5

Pratchett. Feet of Clay (golems) - 5

Gaiman. Good Omens (a very worldly wise demon) - 5

Pratchett. Witches Abroad (witches) - 5

NOVEMBER

Short Story Collection

Dalglaish. A Land of Ash - 4

DECEMBER

Any Award-Winning Book

Takes Place Out West

Hansen. Wet Desert - 3

Talbot. Seattle Quake 9.2 - 4

LEFTOVERS: FICTION

Walton. Tooth and Claw - 4

Stout. Radium Halos - 3

Willis. Bellwether - 4

Pratchett. Men at Arms - 4

Woodsmall. When the Heart Cries - 3

LEFTOVERS: NON-FICTION

Ward. How to Succeed at Aging Without Really Dying - 4

Lew. One God Clapping: The Spiritual Path of a Zen Rabbi - 4

Blum. The Poisoner's Handbook - 4

Plotz. Good Book - 4

Taubes. Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It - 5

I'm going to have to find a secret place to stash my quarters. DH and the kids are like scavengers when it comes to change. DH puts it all in the change jar and the kids stash it in their piggy banks. I may just keep a tally in the notebook I found for the trivia questions, etc. Then at the end of the year, I'll raid the change jar to cover the tally.

Donna - just curious as to what part of Louisiana you are in. We are in Shreveport. I haven't seen too many members from LA.

Julie - I will PM my trivia answers in a minute.

Hi Donna and welcome !

I'm glad we can help you out with 2 of your favorite hobbies, at least . I'm not sure if we could toss jigsaw puzzles into the mix ,but I'm sure there are lots of people here who like to do them too. I have a REALLY old uncle ( my last one left ) ,who is 89 and the best jigsaw-puzzle person I've ever met. He is a whiz at them. I like doing them,but am lousy at it . It'd probably take me a year to to a 350 piece one .

I'll go in and add your name to post one so you will have a clickable place to store all your lists,etc .

Jennifer

Thank you for playing the trivia game . I will make my next post with all the answer so you can add your answers to your notebook. And whichever way works best for you for the quarters is fine -- if you want to just keep track in your notebook, then add it all up at the end of this, that will work just as well .

1-In the original version of Red Riding Hood, was translated into English,she was given another name in the book, other than Little Red riding Hood . what was it ?

Biddy

2- In Puss In Boots, what special function did his boots provide ?

Protects his feet while walking outside .

3-In Rapunzel (Grimm's version) ,what was the name of the person who imprisoned her in the tower ?

Dame Gothel

4-In a very famous fairy tale ,told in many lands, she goes by many other names,but the story is the same . Who is Aschenputtel (just ONE of many nicknames from another country ).

Cinderella

5-In The Tinder Box, where did the soldier find the box ?

A room hidden inside a tree

6-In Grimm's version of Snow White, the Queen actually tried 3 times to kill her . The first was when the Queen laced her corset so tightly,Snow white couldnt breathe,and fainted onto the floor . We all know the third time, the poison apple did the trick. What was the second way the Queen attempted to kill her ?

A poison comb

7-The first published version of The Story of the Three Bears ,written in 1837 , it was not written with Goldilocks as the person going into the bear's home . Who was the original person ?

A bad old woman

8-What does Rumpelstiltskin actually mean ?

little rattle stilt (German)

9- In Snow White & Rose Red, remember they were visited by a bear who had a curse placed on him by an evil troll. Which one married the bear once the curse was lifted ?

Snow white

10-In Jack and the Beanstalk,finish the saying that the giant said :

FeeFi Fo Fum

I smell the blood of an englishman

Be he alive or be head dead

I'll grind his bones to make my bread .

Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the COVER :?

Oh, yes:)

That's how I read the Friday Night Knitting Club and the first in the Chet and Bernie mysteries (written from a dog's POV). In both cases the cover attracted me and I opened the books, read the first page, and was hooked. Esp after laughing out loud in the store at the C&B 1st page!

Welcome Donna- That is neat that you and Jennifer both live in the same town!!! I'm glad we are NOT doing jigsaw puzzles-:lol I've always liked the way they turn out, but let's just say patience to put one together is NOT my forte!!!

I was in ACMoore the other day and I was looking for art paper for my DD and a lady asked me what I thought about the paper she had picked up for backing for a jigsaw puzzle she made- Let me tell you it was a work of art!!!! I give credit to you for enjoying putting them together!!!

I've bought books based on the covers many times- sometimes it worked out, others not so much!:lol

I was right - only knew one answer to that Trivia question!

Julie- BTW- love the kindle cover!!!!

Count me in on this combo challenge. If you had included jigsaw puzzles, it would have covered all my hobby bases -- but two out of three is grand!

I joined the forum some time ago, but really have spent very little time here. I'll hop aboard this and change that.

I love audiobooks and always listen to them when I crochet, so this is great. I just finished one today - while I was in the dentist's chair - that fits the criteria. It's an unusual type of book for me, but was interesting. Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage. I looked on Amazon and the cover shows the ship surrounded by Antarctic pack ice - no place on earth does winter like Antarctica. So there's my first quarter. I read a lot, so this is going to cost me!

I love jigsaw puzzles, too. We always had one in progress on a cardtable in the living room when I was growing up and everyone helped out on them.

Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the COVER :?

Absolutely! Although I usually read the back cover, too, before actually buying it. Even that doesn't always guarantee that it will be a winner.

Kindle cover -- posted over at our House group -- let's see if I can just link it :

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2190601&postcount=14746

Very nice, Julie. :clap

I knew one of the Trivia answers and went hunting and found eight more, but still missed one even with all my hunting and searching.

I didn't email the answer to Julie, but I knew 3 of the 10 questions--Cinderalla, Snow White marrying the bear, and the giant's rhyme. Funny what sticks in your head.

Cute Kindle cover, Julie. I bought a leather, book-like cover for mine (leaf green--no boring black), so I've never had a reason to crochet a cover.

Julie,

I just sent you a PM with my answers to the triva. I feel pretty good about all but one.

EDITED: I just saw you posted the answers. My Grandmother was German and used to tell us these stories all the time. The only one I really could not remember was if Red Ridinghood's name was Betty or Biddy. This was fun. Thanks for Posting these. It brought back nice memories of my Grandmother telling us these stories.

Archived