2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Tab, you are too generous!!!!:lol

I thought so.....had to try. :yes

I was thinking the same thing!!!! I think Tab needs to experience the joys :eek of teenager-dom!!!!:lol

No thank you..... :no

BTW~Does anyone have a Nook color? I was wondering what it is like. :think

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, I'm one of the Nook owners here and I love it. Make sure you check out the Free Fridays!!! Every Friday they have a book (sometimes 2) that you can download for free!! Are you getting the Nook or NookColor? I have the regular ole Nook and I just love it!

Thanks for the Free Fridays tip! Gotta love free stuff. :clap I'm going to be getting the regular Nook. The color one looks pretty cool, but a little too expensive for me. Maybe when they come down in price I'll get one.

I went to the library and found my book for this month. It's called Winter Range by Claire Davis. I have no idea what it's about. I had my very uncooperative 3-year-old with me at the library so I found the first book I could find with the word "winter" in it and left. :lol

Wow, I feel like I'm slacking off on the reading. Y'all are reading multiples already :eek I'm still reading a book that I'm nearing the end on :yes I just don't get a lot of time for reading.

Welcome to everyone joining in :welcome This is going to be so much fun :D

Aside from reading to my youngest, I haven't cracked a book all week. It's crunch time with a couple of big events this weekend--a fancy ladies' tea at my house on Saturday, and then guest speakers at church on Sunday, with dinner afterwards, so I have loads of food to prepare. Yesterday and today are cooking days, and Friday and Saturday will be cleaning/decorating days (not a Christmas decoration do I have on display, unless you count the crayon drawings of Christmas trees...hmmm). No. Time. To. Read. I'm in withdrawal.

I have two books going right now--Howard's End is on the Landing (non-fiction) by Susan Hill (a Kindle book, btw), and No Name by Wilkie Collins, which I am listened to as an audio book at Librivox. That's what I listen to when I have time to crochet, and there hasn't been as much of that going on as I'd like, either.

I might pull out The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder and read that. It's better read Advent-Style, one chapter per day from December 1-24, but it could be read faster I suppose. Anyone ever read Gaarder? He's not everyone's cup of tea (best known for Sophie's World), but I read everything that gets translated into English.

Julie, That was so sweet of you to send your Kindle to your granddaughter. I have yet to hear of a Kindle-owner who doesn't love having an e-reader (other e-readers, too, actually), but for those living outside the US, it is SUCH a blessing to have access to books in English.

I did do some reading last night- on my before challenge book!

Karen- I've never read Gaarder. Ooh, a fancy ladies tea! Sounds like fun- sounds like you'll be busy the next few days!!!

Lisa- Browsing for books is not fun with an uncooperative 3 year old in tow. Been there, done that---a long time ago!!! Who knows, the book just might turn out to be a winner!!!

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning ladies

Karen

It does sound as if the rest of your week is booked pretty solid, so just focus on those things for now, then maybe starting next Monday things will quiet down a bit so you can read .

I have also heard of Gaardner ,and remember the Sophie book,but never tried reading it ,so I can't say whether I would have liked it or not . I remember it being very thick,and I love thick books and long stories .

You are also listening to one of my all time favorites -- Wilkie -- I love his writing ,but have only read Woman in White and The Moonstone . I think I have a few of them on my Kindle ,so plan on reading them at some point .

Him and Dickens are probably my favorite of the classic type writers. If I remember correctly, they were friends ,and both remind me of each other . They both seem to toss a little humor in their books (mainly in the descriptions of their characters) ,and they are both extremely LONG-WINDED, which I am too, so I think I would have liked hanging out with them just to YAK . It seems odd when you see pictures of them,they look like old stuffed shirt fuddy-duddies, but I think their pictures don't show the REAL personalities .

As for Kindles and all other eReaders--- they are absolutely the coolest invention I have ever seen. If I would have had one as a kid, I would have been on cloud nine .

Not to date myself, but I remember only having a black & white tv for the first few years of my life, so Kindles wouldnt have been possible inventions back then .

I have 3 granddaughters ,and they all love books, but the middle one has had this fascination with Kindles and been trying to save money to buy her own,but they have 6 kids,and not much extra money,so I decided to give her my kindle .I knew how bad she wanted one ,and knew how happy she would be,so I gave it to her . Luckily, my husband doesnt care what I buy,how much money I spend, etc. He never has been one to worry over money or bills, so I am lucky .

Anyhow, I loved my old kindle ,but love my new one just as much ,so it's ok .

And I am finding out a little about what you mean about lack of English books in certain places . My girl(the mom of the grandaughter )is married to an army guy,and they are now living in Korea. She also loves to read,and has been in search of ENGLISH books over there ,and tells me how hard it is to find them. They have huge bookstores in their town (Seoul) ,but almost everything is in Korean ,so she knows how hard it is to find books in our language .

Could I ask if you have always lived over there ,like born there, or did you live here,then move there ? Y0u seem very fluent in English ,and Karen sounds like an English name, but I am not familiar at all with other countries.

I was born and lived my entire life in this one-horse hillbilly town . Very few stores, restaurants, or anything fun to do,but it's the only place I've ever lived . It's interesting meeting people on here from all over the place .

I see that I am way behind on the reading

Wow, I feel like I'm slacking off on the reading.

Welcome to everyone joining in :welcome This is going to be so much fun :D

I used to read all the time. Haven't sat and read a novel in proably a yea or so. This challenge was the perfect excuse to dust off the book on my shelf and finally read them.

This is fun already!

I used to read all the time. Haven't sat and read a novel in proably a yea or so. This challenge was the perfect excuse to dust off the book on my shelf and finally read them.

This is fun already!

It sure is!!!:yay

Wrennie

I agree, it has been a long time since I read a book . I have kinda let it slide for many years. I have allowed life to get in the way of one of my longest and most favorite hobbies .

I would occasionally go to the off topic area in here ,where they do the 50 book challenge each year. I would sometimes attempt it, or want to do it, but never stuck with it .

This way, when we have a more structured area, where we are reading as a group,and having certain categories to look for, I think it may give me the push I needed .

I think a lot of the ladies say the same thing as we do -- they like to read,but havent done it much lately,so we all have the same goal .

I'm hoping to give you guys some fun categories ( I have lots already listed ) ,plus toss in some other fun things that are book related along the way .

Since the holidays are fast approaching I dont want to toss too much into the mix ,since losts of people are very busy during this time of year .

Once January hits, I have some things I'd LOVE to try from the book end of the group . I think we have enough people here who love reading that will want to play along .

Anyhow, I picked a pretty simple category for our December one ,and ANY book you read can count towards your year-end total, but I will add lots more fun things along the way .

I'm really excited to try some of them . I hope you guys have fun with them too .

Morning Joanne !

Wrennie

Good for you ! I think someone else in here is also reading a Dean Koontz book for this month. I'm sorry I can't remember who it was. I'm just getting to know a lot of you,so pardon me for not remembering everyone really well yet. I'll get the hang of it soon, though .

Hi, ladies!

I went to the library and found my book for this month. It's called Winter Range by Claire Davis. I have no idea what it's about. I had my very uncooperative 3-year-old with me at the library so I found the first book I could find with the word "winter" in it and left. :lol

Sounds familiar:lol

Maybe it was serendipityand you'll like the book?:yes

Aside from reading to my youngest, I haven't cracked a book all week. It's crunch time with a couple of big events this weekend--a fancy ladies' tea at my house on Saturday, and then guest speakers at church on Sunday, with dinner afterwards, so I have loads of food to prepare. Yesterday and today are cooking days, and Friday and Saturday will be cleaning/decorating days (not a Christmas decoration do I have on display, unless you count the crayon drawings of Christmas trees...hmmm). No. Time. To. Read. I'm in withdrawal.

I have two books going right now--Howard's End is on the Landing (non-fiction) by Susan Hill (a Kindle book, btw), and No Name by Wilkie Collins, which I am listened to as an audio book at Librivox. That's what I listen to when I have time to crochet, and there hasn't been as much of that going on as I'd like, either.

I might pull out The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gaarder and read that. It's better read Advent-Style, one chapter per day from December 1-24, but it could be read faster I suppose. Anyone ever read Gaarder? He's not everyone's cup of tea (best known for Sophie's World), but I read everything that gets translated into English.

I never read that author you mentioned...I DO remember, though, how amazing I thought the list of books you've read was!

Oh, your home is going to smell so good with all the cooking! I promised my Greek hubby I would make the Polish kruschiki this Christmas. And I promised him I wouldn't be giving away too many this time!

This is fun already!

I'm so glad you like our idea!

Good morning everyone.

Julie, I also remember when everyone had black and white tv's. As for e-readers, I don't own one, but I read books on my ipod, or my computer. I have the Kindle app on my computer, so I can buy from the Kindle store. The app is also available for ipod, but I don't use it on there. I think Nook is also available for other devices.

(and for anyone interested, a lot of Wilkie Collins books are copyright free and are available for free download to a variety of devices).

Karen, I can see where a Kindle or some other e-reader would be a great thing for someone living in a foreign country. I also think they'd be great for travel. Dh and I are both avid readers, and always bring lots of books with us on vacation and one Kindle would take a lot less space than twelve books.

I picked my first book off my shelf! :yay Icebound by Dean Koontz, formerly titled prison of ice. I wonder as I sit here shivering if I really want to read this one? :rofl

:rofl:rofl:rofl

I read one of his and decided NOT to do another, so I understand your hesitation.

After finishing Snow Fire last night I went searching my shelves for another book that fit the category. The one I came up with doesn't have a title that fits but it's set during the last ice age in North America, so the theme is right. People of the Nightland by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. I like their books, but haven't read one in a long time, so that's another reason to dig it out and read it. :devil

Julie,

I am an American. I was born and grew up in Pennsylvania (mostly--I actually lived in Germany a couple of years when my father was stationed there, but I was really small). I moved to FL, and lived there untill 1997, which is when we came to Poland, so I've been here nearly 14 years. My husband is in the ministry, and neither of us are Polish. We are fluent (to one degree or another--dh is the best) in Polish. It makes me smile to have you say I sound fluent in English. Indeed, I should be.

The nicest compliment I ever had was from a Polish woman. I was translating between her and another couple who did not speak Polish, and she said to me, "You speak English so well!" I didn't take it as a compliment on my English, though she meant it that way, but on my Polish, because I spoke it well enough that she thought I was a native speaker of Polish, not English. :D

I am a homebody at heart, and yet pretty well traveled for all that. In 2005, my family was in the US for the whole year, and we were in 25 of the 50 states, visiting (among other things) The Alamo, the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, the Mayflower, Plymouth Rock, and the Gulf of Mexico. It was "too much muchness" for me!

Dickens is a huge favorite of mine as well, along with Thackeray (Vanity Fair is my favorite). My oldest daughter and I got to spend a few days in London last year. We didn't have much time, and only visited a few places. We didn't have much money, and we planned most of our activities around free things. However, one place we squeezed into our agenda, and paid for to boot, was the Dickens museum located in the home he lived in during the early years of marriage, when his children were small. It was great! I just love the Victorians...so wordy, all of them.

Nobody can put together a story like Wilkie Collins. I'm just getting going with No Name, but I highly recommend Armadale (not a lot of humor in that one, though), and The Haunted Hotel. I've read the two you have as well--I loved The Moonstone.

Now, I've got to go make a cheese log...

Hi ladies

Just a reminder to keep a small notepad handy so you can have a running tally of the points you accumulate through the year .

I MAY have a little bit of another incentive for you to read a LOT throughout the year .

For those who play along with the book end of the challenge , I will come in occasionally and toss out some other ways that you can accumulate points .

I want you to READ , of course,but I will also toss in an occasional bonus-type project which could wrack you up some more points .

Today, I will put this children's book trivia challenge up . Please write your answers on a piece of paper until everyone else has a chance to drop in and try it if they wish.

I will list answers tomorrow morning . Keep track of your points -- every right answer gets you one point .

1-In the original version of Red Riding Hood, was translated into English,she was given another name in the book, other than Little Red riding Hood . what was it ?

2- In Puss In Boots, what special function did his boots provide ?

3-In Rapunzel (Grimm's version) ,what was the name of the person who imprisoned her in the tower ?

4-In a very famous fairy tale ,told in many lands, she goes by many other names,but the story is the same . Who is Aschenputtel (just ONE of many nicknames from another country ).

5-In The Tinder Box, where did the soldier find the box ?

6-In Grimm's version of Snow White, the Queen actually tried 3 times to kill her . The first was when the Queen laced her corset so tightly,Snow white couldnt breathe,and fainted onto the floor . We all know the third time, the poison apple did the trick. What was the second way the Queen attempted to kill her ?

7-The first published version of The Story of the Three Bears ,written in 1837 , it was not written with Goldilocks as the person going into the bear's home . Who was the original person ?

8-What does Rumpelstiltskin actually mean ?

9- In Snow White & Rose Red, remember they were visited by a bear who had a curse placed on him by an evil troll. Which one married the bear once the curse was lifted ?

10-In Jack and the Beanstalk,finish the saying that the giant said :

FeeFi Fo Fum

I smell the blood of an englishman

Karen

thanks for explaining . Wow, I think you must have had such an exciting life to have been so many places !

How lucky is that to travel all over and see so many things ?

Sorry about mentioning you seemed so good in the english language . I guess you would be,since you are originally from here !

How do you like Poland,and what does it look like there ? Does it remind you of any particular area of our country ?

Also, how do you like their food ? Do they eat many different things there than we do ?

How neat to have seen the Dickens museum ! And I agree, Wilkie is VERY good at telling a story. I think I may have Armadale on my kindle .Will have to check into it once I get this month's book completed .

Hi everyone. I would like to join in. This sounds like a great idea.

December: Winter Moon by Dean Koontz (started Dec 6)

there she is! the other koontz book

count me in. It'll be the first cal I've officially joined.

me too!

I would be happy to share what little knitting knowledge I have with you.

me too

Me too I want to join. My nickname really is Wrennie. When I see Nancy on line I wonder who the person is 'talking' to.

I think I have that Koontz moon book on my shelf too. Good excuse to finally read it.

wrong moon book.

January

1- Book made into a movie--The Road

2-Book set in another country--Jan Karon's In the Company of Others (Ireland)

3 snowflakes; book tote

February

1-Memoir--The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

2-Classic--The Call of the Wild

Valentine's potholder

March

1-Person's name in the title--Caleb's Crossing

2-Book ONE of a series

Baby burp pad and washcloth

April

1-Travel narrative

2-Flowers on the cover--Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies

"heart" hobo bag

May

1-Author starts with M--The Shape of Snakes--Minette Walters

2-Any banned book

Sue's Market Bag

June

1-Any mystery--The Neighbor--Lisa Gardner

2-An author new to you that someone recommended The Last Lecture

Reversible Cowl

July

1-Childhood favorite

2-Book that has been on your list for a LONG time,and you never got around to it yet . The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

August

1-Biography of a famous person

2-Any book set during a War --The Union Quilters

September

1-Any book over 350 pages Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive

2-A COLOR in the title

October

1-Scarey book The Face--Dean Koontz

2-Edgar Allen Poe book

November

1-Short story collection

2-Make a recipe from a cookbook

Ugly But Warm Hat

December

1-Any Award-Winning book

2-Takes place out West --past or present

Mona

Good morning all. I have 3 books down and I am starting a few more. Of course I could not resist Dean Koontz. I have to scan through my personal library to see what titles I have that fit our theme.

I have a question about the points and how that all works. Can you explain that a bit to me?

Good morning all. I finished my last class of the semester last night and have a 4-day weekend. I am definitely ready for some R&R and plenty of crochet.

This is the first I've heard on points, I may have missed that part. I will have to find a small notebook to keep my tally.

I had left the Koontz book at work so I just picked up a Harlequin that a friend's mother sends to me. I started reading it without even looking at the title. As I got into it, I noticed in the story, Christmas was approaching. The title is Christmas Miracle(s). So since I finished that one, I will add it to my list. Now to start the Koontz book after I figure out the children's trivia questions.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Welcome Mona !

I have your name on the post one list !

Cindy

Don't feel bad about the questions. I guessed at them and only got 3 right,and 2 were guesses . I loved the Grimm's stories when I was a kid ,and really enjoyed them,but havent read them since .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the points system -- Sorry I should have explained this in more detail :

Part of it will be listing your books read ,and keeping a quarter out for each one read to put in your jar .

The other part will be an occasional little quiz, maybe some other small extra book related ideas we'll be doing throughout the year .

So ,when we have something that is a point-winner type thing, I'll make sure to put a note out with the extras which will be a part of that .

Maybe at the end of the year, we can give the highest winner a small prize item of some type .

So the quiz posted today will be the first point-earner .

Archived