2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Morning Karen

Yea, the leather covers are nice . I had one for my old kindle,and also a skin for it,since it was slippery on the back, but I sent those along with my kindle. They wouldnt have fit the new one anhow,since it is smaller . It sounds like you are a GREEN person, too ! My favorite color .

Thanks Tammy

Got your answers, and you did great ! Glad you enjoyed it . I may toss out another one here and there too .

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a few of the trivia questions right. :D Thanks, Julie, for posting those. And very nice Kindle cover.

I'm another jigsaw puzzle fan. We just can't seem to keep our dining room table cleared off so I can work one.

Donna - you are the first Shreveporter I've found online that crochets. My great aunt taught me when I was around 12 but she's been gone for many years. I didn't really pick it up too much until I got pregnant the first time. My MIL used to crochet but it got to where her arthritis was too bad.

Hope everyone is having a great day. I started my Christmas shopping this morning but didn't get too far. DH and I will be cleaning like crazy this afternoon. We are having relatives over tomorrow for cake and ice cream for my oldest child's 9th birthday and the house is suffering from clutter overload.

I'll check back in later...

Jennifer

Happy birthday to your 9 year old . My kids are all grown,and I have 7 grandkids . 6 of them live in Korea ,and the other one lives in our town,so I see him a lot ,but rarely get to see the others . We talk on the phone,and they come home ever so often .Thy will be home next summer for a month .

Make sure and tell me about the CAKE tomorrow. I am the biggest CAKE fan on the planet .

I'm certain in my life I've bought books by their covers, but the only one I can think of off hand was many years ago - a collection of science fiction short stories with a wonderful cover of a robot playing a violin. On the flip side, I've definitely rejected a lot of books by their cover and I'm sure some of them would have been good reads.

I like the Kindle cover. I'm a Kindler too. In fact, I'm embarrassed to admit I have two. I have the hard sleeves that are like pockets they slide into from the top, so I really don't need a crocheted one either. But it's a great idea for those getting new e-readers, especially considering how expensive the covers are. Mine are boring black and dark brown. I would have loved green, but these sleeves didn't come in it.

Jennifer - several months ago I bought a table just for jigsaw puzzles, that's how sad an addiction it is. I do them off and on. I'll compulsively work 5 or 6, and then not any for several months, and then another batch. I never glue them. I've always considered jigsaw puzzles to be reusable toys.

If I had submitted answers, I could only have even guessed at one, Cinderella. One answer. That's pathetic. But that was one tough quiz!

Hi Donna

glad to see another kindle owner in the group. Do you have 2 of the same ones, or different years of them ?

There seem to be lots of ladies in here who like doing puzzles,so you guys all have that in common too. Have yo uever tried the 3-D ones that make buildings and such ?

Don't feel it is pathetic about not getting many of the quiz answers right. That really was a set of difficult questions,and if you hadn't recently read those stories, it'd be hard to remember most of them .

I loved the Grimm's fairy tales as a kid. My favorite was their version of Cinderella, when the stepsisters tried on the glass slipper ,and one of them sliced a piece of her heel off to try to fit her foot into the shoe .

I know it sounds gross, but that story has stayed with me for all these years .

What do all of you think about the Grimm's stories ?

I have heard many people say that they aren't appropriate for kids because of their violence .They werent written like the ones now where they all live happily ever after .

Do you guys think they are inappropriate ,and to those of you who have read them, do you that they influenced you in a negative way as a child ?

I have very strong feelings about fairy tales--and I think they are great for kids. ESPECIALLY the older, original ones, written in more sophisticated language. The "fairy tale" world isn't all sweetness and light (like real life), and the characters have to face hard choices, and then the consequences of their choices. Goldilocks gets eaten up in the original, I think. Or is that Red Riding Hood? Kids have real-life fears and scary situations, and fairy tales usually portray strong good/evil themes, with redemption and reward for those who endure, make the hard choices...and play clever tricks. ;-)

What do all of you think about the Grimm's stories ?

I have heard many people say that they aren't appropriate for kids because of their violence .They werent written like the ones now where they all live happily ever after .

Do you guys think they are inappropriate ,and to those of you who have read them, do you that they influenced you in a negative way as a child ?

I recently downloaded the stories - free:D Nowhere close to reading them yet, though,

I love the original Grimm's tales. my oldest got a book of Grimm's as an early gift from Gramma last month - its not truly original but its not the sunshine and daisies fairytales of today.

I personally prefer them to the watered down versions of today (although today's are fun). my eldest's class is studying the differences between them actually, which is why I was familiar with the questions. lol

I have to laugh when people say they aren't appropriate for the violence .... but then those same people let their kids watch cartoons. umm double standard?

Christine

Yea, I have some of the same questions. I am probably a lot older than you ,and I'd guess most kids my age read them ,and I think we turned out pretty good for the most part ,and if we didn't ,I highly doubt the Grimm Brothers are to blame .

Now there are so many violent video games, songs ,and even some tv shows that are too graphic for my taste ( and we don't have cable). I'm sure cable has some shows that are much worse .

I DO believe that exposing kids to extremely violent movies at a young age will definitely affect them .It seems like maybe it kills the innocence they have .

I have yet to find a fairy tale that would damage a kid . They enjoy them ,and it develops their imagination .

Just my opinion. I'm sure everyone else has one too,and we all have different guidelines we follow when raising our families .

I recently downloaded the stories - free:D Nowhere close to reading them yet, though,

So did I!! I'm also nowhere close to reading them!!!

I am determined to start reading some classics that I haven't read- they are called Classics for a reason!! I downloaded a bunch on my Nook when B&N was offering them for free!!!

I am determined to start reading some classics that I haven't read- they are called Classics for a reason!! I downloaded a bunch on my Nook when B&N was offering them for free!!!

Me, too. On both counts!!

BOOKS

December 2010

Treasured Stories of Christmas - short stories

Skipping Christmas

A Painted House

The Road

Poachers - stories

January

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

February

March

April

May

June

July

"Southern Sisters" series (5)

August

September

October

November

December

Open Season

CROCHET

January

Snowflake B

I also love jigsaw puzzles and I agree tha Grimm's fairy tales are classics and help children learn the different between right and wrong more often than not. With all the violent stuff out today, Grimm is like a sun shiney rainbow day :lol

Hello everyone. Welcome to our new challengers! Very busy day today. First work and then we went out to dinner with friends. Now I am doing laundry and making something to take to DH's family Christmas party tomorrow. It starts at 10 AM, so that my sil from Indiana can also go and visit her dh's family and still go home later in the evening.

Julie, I like your kindle cover.

I am influenced by book covers when I buy books, but I've never bought a book only because of its cover.

I agree with the Grimm Fairy Tales. Actually one of the first things my husband bought when we found out we were pregnant was a collection of Grimm Fairytales. I actaully never read very many of them when I was growing up but my husband LOVED those stories as a kid.

Well this weekend we are in a blizzard warning...12+ inches will fall between tonight and tomorrow. I ran all my errands today so I could hibernate in my house and crochet and read while it snows! :hook:clap

Juliekay - My Kindles are different sizes. I had the smaller one (the white ones of the generation before these new ones). I was perfectly happy with that, until I visited a friend who had the DX -- instant Kindle envy. I like to read on it late at night when my eyes are tired. I can crank up the text size and still get a reasonable amount on a page, but it was really an unwarrantable indulgence. Of course, two or three months after that, the price dropped. Kicks self - I could have used that extra money for really important stuff like yarn.

I carry the small one everywhere with me. I bought it after I was trapped in a doctor's office for 5 endless hours, and the only thing I had with me to read was W. Somerset Maugham's short stories, which are very fine - for about an hour at a time. I said never, ever again....

Do you follow the blog dailycheapreads.com? I get so many free and really cheap books through their listing. I love not having to take time to track them down myself.

Hello everyone! Not much going on here, just trying to get some Christmas shopping done and really not having much luck. My lower back has decided to seize up on me, so doing anything for any length of time just isn't happening. Hope all is well for you all!:hug

Hi everyone, I'm finally able to sit down and go through the posts so I can catch up what's going on in the CAL. I just received my book today, so in a little while after I wind down a little from my hectic day I'm going to jump into my comfy bed and start reading. Today I started decorating my home for christmas and that seem to take most of my time, with the changing of curtains and putting the various toches of christmas all around, so now at last the livingroom is done. :think

I wasn't able to tackle the trivia questions but I made a copy of them just to keep. :think

Julie - I love your Kindle cover, very nice

TrishH - I'm hoping that someone in my family present me with a kindle, nook or some other type of e-reader for I read a lot of books.

Karen - I really enjoyed reading about your travels, I always wanted to travel the world and especially Paris, London and Italy. I like to travel in the states also but I really want to travel aboard. Thanks for sharing part of yourself with us.

I also have the Grimm's fairy tales sitting by my bed side waiting for me to dive in and read it. Maybe in this group I will get an opportunity to do just that.

Hey next week we get our first crochet project. I can't wait.

Have a great night, I'll try to stop in more often.

On reading classics: I love most of them (not all). A couple of years ago, I decided to read War and Peace (my paperback copy is over 1400 pages). The chapters are nice and short, so it's very readable. Long before I was finished, I realized that the book was not a classic just because it had a Russian author and was long--it was a classic because it was a truly good book. I'm so glad I read it.

Funny thing: my then 18yo son picked it up and read it through (faster than I had, but he had more free time). It's called War and Peace for a reason--some parts are about War, some parts are about Peace (families, etc). I liked the Peace sections, but my son was fascinated by the War/leadership philosophy sections. Figures.

I've been on an Edith Wharton jag for over a year--started with Ethan Frome, and then read the longer books--House of Mirth (wow) and Age of Innocence. I really like her an an author, and I find it interesting that she didn't care of the Bloomsberg group (Virginia Woolf, et. al.). I've never been able to get interested in Virginia Woolf, but then...I never could get interested in Edith Wharton before, either, so who knows? Maybe someday...

My heart belongs to the Victorians, though. :wink

I keep wanted to to travel more--being here in Europe, it shouldn't be a problem, but it's expensive with a family. Dh and I are dreaming of a fjord cruise for our 25th anniversary...

Welcome Bailey!

Lisa- Crocheting and reading on blizzardly day sounds like a great plan! We are not expecting any snow here in NJ- just cold temps again- and my plan for today is to hook and "nook"!!

Cheeria- I sure hope that one of your family members gets you a Nook or Kindle - you have been very good this year, so who knows, maybe Santa will put one under your tree.

Karen- I really should start on some of the classics I downloaded onto my Nook- but I don't think that is a reality until after the holidays. War and Peace is daunting- I guess just because it is so long. But I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it - DH actually mentioned that he wants to read it too.

Trish- I hope your back is feeling better. Since yesterday I noticed a tightening on my R side- thought I slept funny- but it's still there today. My prescription? Rest, read and crochet!

Donna- Thanks for the info on dailycheapreads.com- I'll pass it on to DH who has a Kindle. I often check http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/2010/11/free-book-kindlenook-just-right.html- they have free books for Kindle and Nook on there

Well off to start the day- first up- another cup of coffee!!

Thanks for the welcome. I knit and crochet. At the moment I'm knitting a shawl. Recently crocheted some newborn hats and knitted some coasters.

I think small projects are fun and looking forward to January's project.

I just remembered I crocheted squares for a Christmas afghan - have yet to put the squares together. Maybe for next Christmas??

I've read Treasured Stories of Christmas for the December book. Bought it at a thrift shop - it is a collection by all different authors.

I'm not sure if I understand how the progress reporting works - I click on my name, add my progress, save - and then it posts on this thread?

bailey

A Good Saturday Morning to all -:)

Wow, I am several posts behind,so let me take them in order :

Donna

Wow, I have never seen the DX in person,but it does look really neat ! The bigger screen size would be nice sometimes,and I've always thought they'd be great for someone taking college classes or things like that .With so many readers and brands available, it'd be easy enough to find reason to buy more than one . I guess I'll just stick with my new one. I don't work outside the home, so I wouldnt want to spend the extra money. If I DID, I might buy another one too .

I know how it is to sit in a Doc's waiting room. I've never had to sit that long,thank goodness, but it is good to have a Kindle with you if you get stuck anyplace where you have to sit a long time.

Thanks for mentioning the web page .I have never tried finding books anyplace besides Amazon . I have bought some books,and also gotten some of their free ones. I dont have it full by any stretch,and probably never will. It'd take me a long time to read that many books .

I'll be sure to go check out the page you mentioned .

Trish,

Thank you so much for the package ! I'll let you know when it arrives . Sorry to hear your back is giving you fits . I've had the backache like that a couple times,and they make you feel so worn out, don't they ? Hope it soon lessens up and you feel better .

Hi Cheeria

Thanks for taking time to post. I know you have been real busy lately. I bet your house is looking really pretty all decorated up .

I hope Santa gives you a Kindle too, you really HAVE been a good girl this year and deserve one. ( Maybe you can buy one for yourself if he doesnt give you one ) .I know you would use it a lot and enjoy it .

Karen

Thanks for mentioning War & Peace. I have often thought I should read it ,but have never even taken a look at the first page of it,so dont know much about it . It sounds very good. I like reading stories about wars,and how people respond to it and deal with it ,so maybe that will be on my list sometime this year .

There are lots of classic authors who I've never tried yet,so I have a plentiful supply of new ones to try,and luckily there are free copies of most of them online .

Thanks for listing another free book site ! Sounds like us eReader people will have a never ending supply of free books !

Joanne -

Thanks for mentioning another website for free books-- you guys will keep me well stocked with all these new places to search for books.

I hope your side feels better today .Take it easy today if you can .

We are in for lots more rain,snow, sleet, the works here today,and for the next few days, so I guess I'll be spending lots of time indoors .

Hope you all have a good day today and find some time to read and crochet. I think our crocheting project will soon be announced,and I will be as surprised as you all about what it is . I won't cheat and ask Judy to tell me, I will wait patiently like the rest of you . I know it'll be a good one,between her and Linda-- they have got lots of talent and years of experience !

Archived