2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning everyone :coffee

I missed alot yesterday. I had fun at the sixer game last night and we won :clap

Cheeria - I saw the movie from that book and it was really cute, I enjoyed it alot and I bet the book will be great too :yes

Me too I want to join. My nickname really is Wrennie. When I see Nancy on line I wonder who the person is 'talking' to.

I think I have that Koontz moon book on my shelf too. Good excuse to finally read it.

Books:Icebound,

Crochet:2 versions of 1 snowflake

I want to join. My favorite two things. Reading and crocheting.

I just started the book my Debbie MaComber Christmas in Cedar Cove

Welcome! I'm reading one of her books right now, too!

Me too I want to join. My nickname really is Wrennie. When I see Nancy on line I wonder who the person is 'talking' to.

I think I have that Koontz moon book on my shelf too. Good excuse to finally read it.

Welcome, Wrennie! I love your avatar:manyheart

Good thing there aren't really strict rules...'cause I don't have any quarters, either. I'll substitute zloty. One zloty = about 35 cents.

:rofl:rofl

Good morning, everyone. I decided to include the book I just finished in the December challenge since it starts on top of a glacier in western Europe. Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear. Now I'm reading Snow Fire by Norah Hess.

Welcome Wrennie

I'll get your name added to the list - I meant to do this early this morning ,but got sidetracked with some quick errands and just now got home .

I hope everyone has been able to find their winter/Christmas/Snow/ Cold books . I dropped by our library today and picked up 4 Christmas ones. Will I have time to get them all done before the end of the month ?

I don't know,but they are all fairly small books so it is do-able .

For those having trouble finding books that may fit this category , our library has all the Christmas books gathered on one shelf out front ,so maybe if you have access to a library,you can go in and get a few ideas .

Also to those who wn a Kindle/Nook/ or other eReader -- I found a pattern online to make a "sleeve" or cover for it . I got some cotton dishcloth yarn and a button to try to make it .. I will have to try to figure out a way to size mine smaller ,since the pattern is for last year's Kindle,and the new one is quite a bit smaller . I'm not good at re-doing patterns to fit a different size, but I'll give it a shot .

Off to get my groceries put away and get organized. Our grandson is coming after school for a couple hours, so I need to have everything done before he gets here .

You all have a good day today !

Please count me in. Thanks, Dragonlady

Dec 2010: A Christmas Journey, and A Christmas Guest. Anne Perry

Jan: into a movie

another country-Girl with the Dragon Tatoo

Feb: memoir The Egg and I, by Betty MacDonald, 1945

classic

Mar: name

#1 of a series Game of Thrones (all 5)

Apr: travel narrative

flowers on cover

May: author "M"

banned

Jun: mystery

recommended

Jul: childhood fave

got around to

Aug: biography J.K. Rowling

during a war

Sep: Michener- read these a long time ago.

Color: A Little Yellow Dog-Walter Mosley/Red, White, Blue -S. Isaacs

Oct: scary

poe

Nov: short story collection

make recipe from a book

Dec: award winning

out west-past or present

Good morning all,

Well I wasn't brave enough to face our cold weather to go to the library, but I have a long list of errands to run today and will add the library to that list. :)

Julie-My Christmas present from my husband this year is a Nook. I didn't even think about crocheting a cover for it. Good idea! Would you mind sharing that pattern?

Hi Lisa

There are a few different ones, so I will put them all here so you can choose which one you like :

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/crochet/crochet-book-sox.shtml

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?search=1&searchText=book%20cover&Go.x=1&Go.y=1&Go=1&start=15&pageLength=15

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/Accessories/WR1029+Crochet+Laptop+Cover.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_5836808_crochet-case-protect-kindle.html

http://www.orble.com/free-book-stocking-crochet-pattern/

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kindle-cover

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/love-my-ipad-case

http://yoonie-at-home.blogspot.com/2009/11/laptop-sleeve-tutorial-by-yoonie.html

http://wildknitter.blogspot.com/2010/08/nookkindle-cover-pattern-crochet.html

http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Crocheted_eBook_Reader_Case__D10295220.html (This one isnt free )

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=110110

Those are the ones I found this morning . Some need to be adjusted,according to the size you need .

I got the new kindle,which is smaller than these patterns call for, so I chose the easiest one that I could change (since I have no clue how to change patterns that will work ) --which is the one that is in pdf form on ravelry .

Hope it turns out to be the right size .

Good luck,and did you get your Nook yet, or do you have to wait til Christmas ? We have at least 2 others in here who own Nooks-- Joanne and Judy . There may be others, if so, I'm sorry, I forget who they are ,since we have lots of new people in here .

I LOVE my kindle --one of the best inventions I have ever seen .

Wow, Tammy !

That is terrific ! Keep up the good work . I just now finished True Grit . I have never read it before, but remembered it wa a John Wayne movie . I probably saw it as a kid,but don't remember it . I saw a commercial of a remake of it ,then found the book,so thought I'd read it .

It was pretty good . I probably would have enjoyed it more of I was younger --told from the vantage point of a young teen girl . It was a good story and probably made a good movie .

Now, i need to get started on my book for this group .

Thanks Julie for all the great pattern links. I think these would make great presents too...hmmm...I may have just added more projects to my list. :hook I do not have my Nook yet. My husband told me he won't buy it until Christmas eve because I ALWAYS convince him to give me my Christmas/birthday/anniversary presents early. What can I say, I'm worse than a little kid.

Tammy-Three books already? Wow, very impressive. You finshed 3 books before I even picked out the book I'm going to need. :lol I should probably step it up a little bit.

Hi there- I just learned something new today! :) I had never heard of a chinook so of course I had to look it up. Very interesting indeed!!!

chinooks are interesting, and miserable for many - the barometric pressure causes severe migraines.

it was -12C at 6am, and now at almost 3pm its 8C. snow's a meltin!

busy day here, had to do some more shopping so I can finish all my baking.

I've read my book, but I'm going to go dig through my library (yep, I have that many books). And do the reading to the kids. my oldest is currently reading "the Best/Worst Christmas ever" - we've been reading together.

Lisa

You are no worse than I was. I got a Kindle last year ,then a couple weeks ago,was talking to my granddaughter who lives in Korea,and she wants a kindle REALLY bad .

So I sent her mine,and bought a new one for myself for Christmas. I told my husband I wouldnt opem it til then. He didnt really care when I opened it . I had it for about 4 hours befoee I broke my own rule and opened it. I was too excited to see the new one,so I am already using my Christmas gift .

It is quite a bit smaller than my other one,so that's why I need to change the pattern to make it fit .

Christine

Wow, that weather up there sounds like a Humdinger to get used to .

Sounds great Christine ! Are you baking up a good bunch of cookies for the holiday ?

always do lots of baking. I've already taken part in 2 exchanges, with another next week.

my usuals are : nanaimo bars (regular and mint), mexican wedding cakes, ginger bendies, and whatever else looks like fun.

yep...the weather is a challenge to get used to, I've been here since I was 4 - no migraines for me but my husband and youngest daughter get horrible mood swings and headaches. we're a tough sort up here in Calgary. lol

my usuals are : nanaimo bars (regular and mint), mexican wedding cakes, ginger bendies, and whatever else looks like fun.

They sound YUMMY! I make Kruschiki (a Polish deep fat fried cookie). Many other ethnic groups seem to have their own variation of them.

yep...the weather is a challenge to get used to, I've been here since I was 4 - no migraines for me but my husband and youngest daughter get horrible mood swings and headaches. we're a tough sort up here in Calgary. lol

I used to watch lots of hockey - you are all a tough group up there:yes

I see that I am way behind on the reading- Oh, well, life gets in the way of that sometimes!!! Too many gifts to finish crocheting! My goal is to finish at least one book on the challenge after I finish the one that I had started before the challenge!!!

Thanks for those links Julie- they would make great gifts for those who have an e-reader!! I have a leather case on my Nook, but it would be fun to change it up every now and then---of course that would be AFTER the holidays!!!

Good morning all,

Well I wasn't brave enough to face our cold weather to go to the library, but I have a long list of errands to run today and will add the library to that list. :)

Julie-My Christmas present from my husband this year is a Nook. I didn't even think about crocheting a cover for it. Good idea! Would you mind sharing that pattern?

Yup, I'm one of the Nook owners here and I love it. Make sure you check out the Free Fridays!!! Every Friday they have a book (sometimes 2) that you can download for free!! Are you getting the Nook or NookColor? I have the regular ole Nook and I just love it!

Archived