2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Good morning everyone. The kids are home from school today, too cold and too messy outside, i had an appointment this morning, but it got moved to tomorrow morning, and I have a Layout to go to today. :( my boyfriends dear sweet grandpa passed away last night.

Lacey- My condolences to you, your BF and his family!!!:hug:hug:hug

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for your loss.:hug

Thanks, Linda. Not sure about me doing thread...my eyes aren't all they used to be!

I've never ever done crochet with thread in my life!! Of course I only started crocheting a little under 2 years ago!! This should be interesting!!

Sorry for your loss.:hug

Thanks, Linda. Not sure about me doing thread...my eyes aren't all they used to be!

I've got info on using size 10 thread on there too. And I'm sure you could try making them with a small hook and baby yarn, too. They might be too big to go on a tree but would look pretty in the window.

I've got info on using size 10 thread on there too. And I'm sure you could try making them with a small hook and baby yarn, too. They might be too big to go on a tree but would look pretty in the window.

Maybe I should try the pattern with some baby yarn and a small hook first, then go to the size 10 thread. :think

or use it for a coaster;)

I updated the CROCHET link so it has links to both the patterns and pictures in one post.

Thanks again, Linda!

It wasn't too bad here today. Started off around 27F this morning but got up to 45 and sunny. Still a little cold for the kiddos.

too cold for the kids? :eek

this is when mine strip off the layers and only wear light coats outside. lol

too cold to go out and play is about -20C(-4F)

Thanks to Judy & Lindaa for our first pattern(s) of the challenge .

Joanne

I'll be with you and make mine with either baby yarn or something equally as thick. I'm no good with the tiny hooks and small thread ,so mine will turn out bigger ,but it's ok .

I think they'd look pretty once they are tacked down with the starch stuff to put white glitter on them so they sparkle.

Maybe I'll make some for package-toppers for gifts . Gotta make a store run in the morning if my creaky old body will go out in 12 degree weather so I can get the equipment I need .

Thank you all so much for your hugs and thoughts. It really means alot :hug . I think when Im not taking care of my BF, Im going to bury myself in the books I have picked out and the crochet part of the challenge.

I also have alot of Christmas shopping to do. "santa" is running late this year. I dont have much to spend with, but thank goodness for the kids's school. They have someone that "adopted" them so that they will get a nice christmas this year. I dont know what I would have done if I had not gotten that call from the school.

Lacey

I'm glad they have programs like that for kids -- I think some of the stores and churches in our area do that -- they make up baskets of small gifts and goodies for kids to make it fun,and luckily, if your kids are small,they are happy with coloring books,matchbox cars,small type items ,so it isn't as hard as kids who are asking for the big expensive items.

We have many families in our town that are in the same situation.Jobs in our state are lousy,many people are umemployed. We had a couple big factories here and they have gone under,and probably half our town worked at one or the other .

I hope Christmas goes ok for the kids -- they will be happy to have a few gifts and some cookies or something as a treat .

In fact, there are lots of websites that have lots of really simple craft projects or fun stuff to do with kids for the holiday --like making paper chains to count off the days, stringing popcorn for the tree ,things like that .

When our grandson was little, I printed out a Santa face that we taped cottonballs on,and each day,he'd get to pull off one more cottonball to show how many days left til Christmas .

I really don't enjoy the holiday as much anymore because of all the pressure on people to have a bigger tree, more gifts, bigger dinners, etc .

That's not really what it's all about . I think you could make it a memorable year if you just did some simple projects with them .It'll be memories that will last a lifetime .

too cold for the kids? :eek this is when mine strip off the layers and only wear light coats outside. lol too cold to go out and play is about -20C(-4F)

Since it doesn't really get too terribly cold here, the kids are kind of wimpy when it dips below freezing. I love it though.

I dug out some baby yarn and used an E hook for the first snowflake. It turned out okay and measures about 3 1/2 inches from tip to tip. If I can dig out the camera (I think DH may have taken it with him) I will try to post a pic. I did find some size 10 thread but may try the other two with the baby yarn first just to get a feel for the patterns. The first one works up pretty quick and easy.

Thanks Linda!

I did find the camera. I think the pic came out pretty blurry but the lighting in our kitchen is terrible for picture taking.

post-23834-135897605968_thumb.jpg

:cheer Hi group, sorry I've been missing in action for a couple of days but I am reading my book and did come across another one called "The Christmas Brides." by Linda Lael Miller which is a book that has two christmas stories in one book. :think

Thanks Linda for our first challenge pattern. I will be giving it a try probably sometime this week. Now that all my christmas shopping is done I need something else to keep me busy besides wrapping presents. :lol:lol

Nite everyone

Since it doesn't really get too terribly cold here, the kids are kind of wimpy when it dips below freezing. I love it though.

posted that, THEN looked at your location. it ALL makes sense now. lol

I'm in Canada....just a wee bit colder (ok so its cold all the time) lol

your snowflake looks GREAT!

Jennifer, nice snowflake.

I have some size three thread somewhere that I think I will try out on these patterns.

I also have some size 10 thread, and the appropriate hook, but I'm not sure my eyes are up to it, and I doubt that my hands are limber enough for that,

Great categories Julie!!!

The book I am currently reading fits in January category of a book made it into a movie- Mystic River- Think maybe I'll start reading Dec book now and finish that one up in January!:lol:lol:lol

Hi Ladies,

Linda, You did a great designing these snowflakes. I don't know if my hand will let me work with thread or not. If not I'll use baby yarn.

Jennifer, Your snowflake is pretty!

ImmaFreak, sorry about BF's grandpa.:hug

I think 3 is bigger immanurse. :think

I haven't made a thread snowflake in forever. I only have pink thread. I'll have to see if the thrift store still has that white thread that they had last week.

I made a snowflake garland with ww and a g or h hook. I thought it came out cute.

Hi, fellow "challengers":hook

Jennifer - thats so cute!:cheer

Nice snowflake Jennifer!!! I don't think I'll be starting these until after I get my Christmas presents done.

Cindy- is size 3 thread larger than size 10? I know NOTHING about thread!!! LOL

Yup - 3 is also easy on the hands and eyes for those with problems. I'm going to pull out my 10 thread and give it a shot - I may be able to do this:D If not, #3 thread is waiting for me:lol

Archived