2011 Combo Challenge

JulieKay

Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have more than one book category per month ,and how many would you like ?

• 2 different choices
    • A new choice each week

Cindy, I'm like you. Slower than a snail. I've tried knitting and I got the basic hang of it but can't seem to get my fingers to cooperate like they do in crochet. So I gave up trying to knit. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another chance.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find that knitting is like doing something completely in single crochet. It takes forever to make any visible progress! :lol

Which is why it'll never be my primary craft...but is great for a change of pace.:lol

Glad to hear you had a nice birthday Judy!!!

And Valerie- glad that you decided to join this CAL! I haven't been doing as much reading since I've got some Christmas presents to finish- but then I'll split my time between the two. They are my two favorite things to do also!!!

Have a good night everyone!!!

Not much new to report since posting last night- so I'll just wish everyone a nice day- I didn't get any reading done last night- but hope to at least read a chapter at lunch time today- I'm missing it- but at night I need to crochet right now to get some last minute Nellie gifts done!!

Morning ladies

Just checking in to say hello -- checking to see how you all are doing with your snowflakes ?

How are you doing with your reading ?

Any questions regarding reading categories, just holler . I guess our goal at this point is to read -- anything goes,so the list is just an added little challenge that may make it more fun to find a book for each category .

You all have a good day !! The holiday is getting close, so I'm sure it's a busy time for everyone . Once it's over ,we can maybe get into more of a routine with our reading and crochet ,to balance them out so we spend a little time on each .

Name a book that made you cry .

My choice would be "I Know this Much is True "--Wally Lamb .

I'm not a "crying type person" . Hardly EVER . I get MAD,SAD,HAPPY ,etc,but RARELY cry .

This book made me SOB at the end ....... but yet it is one of my all time favorites . Teaches you a lot about family,the challenges,sacrifices and rewards of being in a family . The end is an absolute tear-jerker .

I remember sitting there reading the ladt few pages and sobbing my eyes out . Wally Lamb is a MAGICIAN with words, though .

YOUR TURN ~~~~

Good morning!!

Wrennie, thank you for the good wishes! It was a totally "me" day:D

Jules, I get teary when animals are involved in something bad. Can't think of a title right now...

I haven't made a snowflake yet but am on my second Debbie Macomber Christmas themed book.

Good morning everyone. I read two books yesterday, (one was very short) but they don't fit into the January categories. One was quite short and I had to stay up until 1:30 AM to finish the other one. I read fast, but other than grocery shopping, I didn't get another thing done all day.

I may try a snowflake in size 10 thread today. I'm not sure if I can do it, but I'll see.

In January I'm going to try making the snowflakes in size 30 thread. Maybe some extras, too. I think I'll dedicate January as my snowflake month for little in between projects.

I've read 4 1/2 books so far this month that more or less fit one or the other of the listed categories. I have to find one to fit the "child as main character" still. I've got one on my shelves if I can find it that I'd like to reread.

Good morning!

yesterday was a write off for reading and 'hooking. Went and had lunch with a friend and her little girls, then earned my paycheque (picked up the cheques for our company).

Christmas concert at school last night too.

TODAY though....is looking to be an at home catch up day. I'm finishing my baking, planning out my Christmas Dinner (how to feed 20 picky people), and hoping to get some crocheting done.

I managed to make the 2nd snowflake. yay, it looks great.

but the first one I don't know how to do a DTC, and can't find directions.

and the third one completely baffles me. even following the picture I cannot figure it out.

I managed to make the 2nd snowflake. yay, it looks great.

but the first one I don't know how to do a DTC, and can't find directions.

and the third one completely baffles me. even following the picture I cannot figure it out.

For the DTC, you yarn over 3 times. Then insert hook and pull up a loop for a total of 5 loops on your hook. YO and pull through 2 loops, 4 loops left on hook. YO and pull through 2 loops, 3 loops left on hook. YO and pull through 2 loops, 2 loops left on hook. YO and draw through last 2 loops. So you should YO and pull through 2 loops a total of 4 times.

Someone should check me on this, but this is how I worked mine for the first snowflake. I've never done any pattern writing so hopefully this is understandable.

I haven't gotten to do much crochet this week. With DH out of town, the boys have been keeping me busy. I did 1/2 of a HAP rectangle. It wasn't cooperating so I frogged it and restarted maybe 3 times. Finally I got it going and quit halfway through. This evening should be better. I have tomorrow off and DH should be home sometime late tomorrow night.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

I haven't gotten to do much crochet this week. With DH out of town, the boys have been keeping me busy. I did 1/2 of a HAP rectangle. It wasn't cooperating so I frogged it and restarted maybe 3 times. Finally I got it going and quit halfway through. This evening should be better. I have tomorrow off and DH should be home sometime late tomorrow night.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Every time I start HAP rectangles, I have to frog it at least three times before I get it the right size. Squares are so much easier. :lol

TODAY though....is looking to be an at home catch up day. I'm finishing my baking, planning out my Christmas Dinner (how to feed 20 picky people), and hoping to get some crocheting done.

Hmmm...what about just making what YOU want to make and if they eat it - fine? :devil

Today's Book Question (a book that made me cry):

ANYTHING by Luanne Rice, if I need a good cry I read one of her books. Works every time. she's a great author.

and.....if you're stuck for a book go to www.whatbookshouldIreadnext.com or www.goodreads.com you can search by genre, author, keyword etc...

I forgot about her...I read a book she wrote many years ago - the main character had a physically challenged child...I think.:think She's a very powerful writer.:yes

Every time I start HAP rectangles, I have to frog it at least three times before I get it the right size. Squares are so much easier. :lol

ditto:yes

I have done 1 rectangle so far and at the rate I'm going, every other rectangle is going to look just like it. :( All the frogging is going to keep me from wanting to try different stitches and patterns. At least all my carbon copy rectangles will be scattered in different ghans. :yes

I have done 1 rectangle so far and at the rate I'm going, every other rectangle is going to look just like it. :( All the frogging is going to keep me from wanting to try different stitches and patterns. At least all my carbon copy rectangles will be scattered in different ghans. :yes

When I use my foolproof hdc pattern and always use the same brand of yarn I know they'll be the right size. I DO have some new patterns I'm thinking of trying for HAP - we'll see, though.

Archived